View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 17:40   #106
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkb View Post
I got my Octavia 1.8TSI 2 months ago, and I can tell you that my face lights up in absolute delight every time I drive it.. It is spectacular. The buttery smooth rocket propulsion 1.8TSI engine, with the immaculately elegant DSG gear box, and precise steering makes this a joy to drive. The A3 petrol is essentially the same car, with different badging and marginally better (albeit smaller) interiors. Think of the Octavia as an A3 with a 33% discount. Go for the Skoda petrol and you wont regret it..
Hi. did you get the vehicle in bangalore? Both vinayak and tafe say TSI is available only after 5-6 months
Old 28th August 2014, 19:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Its about the price. If you can "afford" 29 lakhs on-road vs 24 lakhs on-road, it makes "no sense" to go for Octi or Jetta. I don't know how many folks will believe you when you say I bought Jetta over A3 as it has more features. Everyone will think you couldn't afford the A3. Thats about it. If someone buys top model of City vs Jetta Comfortline and says hey I bought City as it has sunroof, leather seats, reverse camera more leg room, what would you think?

I would think he didn't buy Jetta as he didn't have the money. No amount of spin would help! You don't buy a 30 lakh rupee car & talk about VFM.
Old 28th August 2014, 19:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Its about the price. If you can "afford" 29 lakhs on-road vs 24 lakhs on-road, it makes "no sense" to go for Octi or Jetta. I don't know how many folks will believe you when you say I bought Jetta over A3 as it has more features. Everyone will think you couldn't afford the A3. Thats about it. If someone buys top model of City vs Jetta Comfortline and says hey I bought City as it has sunroof, leather seats, reverse camera more leg room, what would you think?

I would think he didn't buy Jetta as he didn't have the money. No amount of spin would help! You don't buy a 30 lakh rupee car & talk about VFM.
That entirely depend on your mindset. No point generalizing this aspect. If you are overly bothered about what others think, Yes! Go ahead and get the A3. But if the lack of (your favorite) features trouble you every time you drive the car, get the Octi or Jetta.
Old 28th August 2014, 23:33   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I would disagree with almost everything here. There are "some" and few people I feel who might buy either for their neighbours or keeping in mind what their neighbours would think or to show their neighbours what their budget is. For anyone with any class or substance, they'd buy what THEY want, depending on their OWN preferences. That could be A3, Jetta or Octavia, whatever they prefer as per their personal priorities and whatever "makes sense" for them personally. I for instance would anyday buy either the Jetta or octi over the A3. If I really want a big 3 German, I'd go for the C or 3 or A4.

My friend was seriously considering the freelander 2. Didn't like attitude of sales person and actually ended up buying the CRV. Even though he could have comfortably afforded the freelander 2 he actually considered every variant of the CRV to assess what's the right VFM offering and suits his requirements in terms of features etc. So there are people who value their hard earned money whether they're spending 3 lakhs on an alto or 30 lakhs on a CRV. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If someone tells me they bought an Octavia because they preferred it over an A3, or a too of line City over a Jetta I would simply take that at face value and assume he knows what he wants. I wouldn't assume he can't afford the A3 or in the latter case the Jetta. It would be pretty foolish to think anything but that.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 23:57   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You don't buy a 30 lakh rupee car & talk about VFM.
I am sure all the Superb owners do. A sub 30L car that offers as many features as the E-class does and still turns heads on the roads.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 00:06   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Hi. did you get the vehicle in bangalore? Both vinayak and tafe say TSI is available only after 5-6 months
I got lucky. I booked the car the last week of April, and they told me it would be 5-6 months.

Apparently someone cancelled and so got delivery on June 2nd.. Silver Elegance 1.8TSI

Quote:

The price difference is more than 15 lakhs, between the Octy and the A3

Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI OTR Bangalore is 23.4

Audi A3 1.8TFSI OTR is 39.5 laks

That's the same MQB platform car, same 1.8TSI engine, same multilink suspension and same transmission..
Audi A3 has slightly better interiors, but Octavia has more interior space, and larger boot.

For 15 lakhs less than the A3, the Octavia is a bargain,..
Old 29th August 2014, 00:14   #112
BHPian

Quote:

There might be people who does what you said but that is just wrong thinking! What do you mean by makes "no sense" buying a lower budget car if he can "afford" a more expensive car? You can't generalize that thought.

Affordability does not mean you always buy the costliest car you can afford. If what you said is true, you will never find a car owner with premium luxury sedans owning a Maruti, Hyundai or other similar hatchbacks. In this case, he can afford does not mean he will always choose an A3 over an Octy or Jetta.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2014 at 14:39. Reason: :)
Old 29th August 2014, 04:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
That is sick. There might be people who does what you said but that is just sick thinking! What do you mean by makes "no sense" buying a lower budget car if he can "afford" a more expensive car? You can't generalize that thought.

Affordability does not mean you always buy the costliest car you can afford. If what you said is true, you will never find a car owner with premium luxury sedans owning a Maruti, Hyundai or other similar hatchbacks. In this case, he can afford does not mean he will always choose an A3 over an Octy or Jetta.
Firstly my opinion was not directed at you. Secondly there are different opinions and points of view and thought process... just caz.mine doesn't match your doesn't make my thinking wrong.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th August 2014 at 09:14. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 29th August 2014, 06:45   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

The way I would think about this is based on the circumstances of the buyer. For a family, an A3 (or even a current C Class) does not make sense as a primary car. It has much too little space in the rear - a Honda City has more space. As someone who tends to have family in the rear seat, an Octavia or Jetta is better than a A3 or even a C, and a Superb or Accord is the best of the lot.

As for status, people like me would think of a family which has an A3 as it's primary car as being arriviste and impractical - if they really valued luxury, they should buy a A4, 3 or even better a A6 /5/E Class.

Plus there are several friends of mine who can afford the luxury brands but won't buy them since they think they are too ostentatious.

These cars make sense for a young person (or couple) without the need for space in the rear seat or as the second car of a more affluent family which has a larger vehicle for family duties (that could even be an Innova).

So let's recognise that it takes all kinds to make the world.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 11:56   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly my opinion was not directed at you. Secondly there are different opinions and points of view and thought process... just caz.mine doesn't match your doesn't make my thinking wrong.

Please take things in the right sense. When I said wrong thinking, I meant the thought process of the kind of people you mentioned in your post. You are talking based on a misunderstanding.

Last edited by noopster : 6th September 2014 at 10:51. Reason: Thanks- check PM
Old 29th August 2014, 12:08   #116
Team-BHP Support

Why should one justify his/her car's purchase to others? Especially, us enthusiasts. If you know what works for you and is good, be it.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 13:12   #117
BHPian

I had test driven the A3 1.8 AWD in Dubai. I was smitten by the red glossy color and the optional Bang & Olufsen 700W RMS audio system. But things turned south quickly during the test drive. THe lack of space inside made me feel claustrophobic. My 2 year old daughter started crying in the back seat while my wife sat behind with an expression "Are you sure?".

Unfortunately the salesman was a giant at 6 ft 3". The posture he adapted to sit in the front to accommodate my wife and kid at the back was amusing. No exaggeration here, but it is cramped and the large transmission tunnel at the back makes matters worse. I personally found the A pillar too close to my head. My daily driver then was a Ford Focus and it had way more head, shoulder and leg space.

Though the Golf and A3 share the same platform, there is a considerable difference in terms of space (with identical wheelbase). The Golf has a lot better head room in the front and at the back.

A3 is a stunning car with great handling and engine. If one is single or just married, then it can be a great companion for 4 - 5 years. The emotional appeal is very high and rightly so. It's got the looks!
sushanthr77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 21:37   #118
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
I had test driven the A3 1.8 AWD in Dubai. I was smitten by the red glossy color and the optional Bang & Olufsen 700W RMS audio system. But things turned south quick
Though the Golf and A3 share the same platform, there is a considerable difference in terms of space (with identical wheelbase). The Golf has a lot better head room in the front and at the back.
s. The emotional appeal is very high and rightly so. It's got the looks!
Was this the A3 hatchback or the notchback sedan please?
Old 29th August 2014, 22:57   #119
Senior - BHPian

Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:

There are so many factors that drive you to make compromises in buying a car. For some it's space, my family is all about tall people and leg space is the first box to tick. Though I have a Punto it is mainly used for me and my driver to commute to office.
So here is why I bought an Elantra, even though I would have loved to buy the Jetta or even wait for the Octavia,simple the Elantra was the only car that would fit(length)in my garage of the three. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th August 2014 at 22:58.
Old 29th August 2014, 23:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:

I think the above mindset would only be applicable for people who want to "keep up with the Jones". When I was in the market for a new car (2012), I test drove the C class, the 3 series and the A4. Rejected the C cos it didn't really click with me; the new model 3 series was just being introduced and even though I was getting fantastic discounts on the existing model, didn't want to compromise; the A4 came with a relatively puny 140bhp engine and a CVT hence disregarded. Just when I was about to compromise and buy an accord, I just happened to go to the VW showroom and was absolutely floored by the Passat and bought it. What I got for my money were additional features for a fully loaded car which put a smile on my face. The fact that it didn't have the star, the propellor or the 4 rings did not make a difference whatsoever. I buy my cars based on what appeals to me and not what would appeal to my neighbours/friends. The point here is that each one of us will buy what appeals to us, what fits our budget and what we will be happy to drive for the next 3-5 years.
kurmist is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks