View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2015, 12:34   #181
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Quick update on my situation, finally booked a Pure White 2015 Jetta DSG Highline today. The SA tells me if I am lucky I might get the car by the 21st of March.

Fortunately for us, there was a DSG available in the dealership awaiting delivery, so we could get our very first DSG test drive. The wife absolutely loved it, "there is no clutch!!!", "I dont have to do anything", and "I have all the time to watch out for the traffic" were some of her ecstatic comments. When I drove the car, it was a bit of a disappointment for me, as I have always always driven manuals, and the driving enthusiast in me was left wanting for more. Have other members also felt the same on their first automatic test drive, or is it just me?
Sorry for going off topic but as a responsible and cautious Buyer you should stay away from test driving vehicles awaiting delivery! Doesn't feel ethically right to me and you can help on your part by refusing to do so! Just my 2 cents, Do not want to offend anyone.
trumpcard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 13:09   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Awesome. So a brand new DSG kept for delivery is been given for test drives. How can anyone now have peace of mind when its quite evident that these dealers rampantly provide your cars to others for test drives. Kudos to VW. Keep it up.
+zillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Slot the gearbox into sports mode & floor it. Use the paddle shifts & believe me when I tell you, the enthusiast in you will be back on board! Its a pretty quick car. I didn't even realize that we were doing 140-150. The build & stability over shadow the speed but its fast no doubt.
I read these two messages back to back and found it very funny (and ironical)

If it is a new car for delivery, we should exercise restraint and tell the dealer that we won't drive it - And, the primary fault is on dealership who offered a test drive on a new car kept for delivery!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:09   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Awesome. So a brand new DSG kept for delivery is been given for test drives. How can anyone now have peace of mind when its quite evident that these dealers rampantly provide your cars to others for test drives. Kudos to VW. Keep it up.
I would like to clarify here that the term test drive was probably used incorrectly, it was a quick drive less than a km each way. Nonetheless I understand where you are coming from an_and.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
Sorry for going off topic but as a responsible and cautious Buyer you should stay away from test driving vehicles awaiting delivery! Doesn't feel ethically right to me and you can help on your part by refusing to do so! Just my 2 cents, Do not want to offend anyone.
No offense taken either, as mentioned above it was not really a test drive. I am still waiting for the dealership to get a test drive vehicle for a proper test drive. Rajeevraj was the first to point out it wasnt right to test drive or even short-drive a vehicle waiting for delivery. I agreed completely with him and mentioned in an earlier post that I will be more aware of this from the next time, and always remember to ask the dealer if the vehicle being offered for even a short-drive is awaiting delivery.

Quote:
Slot the gearbox into sports mode & floor it. Use the paddle shifts & believe me when I tell you, the enthusiast in you will be back on board! Its a pretty quick car. I didn't even realize that we were doing 140-150. The build & stability over shadow the speed but its fast no doubt.

It will be a change coming from a manual but you will love it. I used to swear by manuals but when I started driving an automatic from an i20 manual, I just couldn't go back. You're drives will be much more relaxed
Thanks for your inputs Zahir, that gives me a lot of peace of mind about my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
+zillion

I read these two messages back to back and found it very funny (and ironical)

If it is a new car for delivery, we should exercise restraint and tell the dealer that we won't drive it - And, the primary fault is on dealership who offered a test drive on a new car kept for delivery!
Thanks for chipping in sriramv.iyer, I hope the above answers your concerns. I am not a regular offender of either traffic norms, or what should be ethical behaviour. This has never happened with me earlier, so I guess I was not vigilant enough, I live and learn!

About Zahir's response, he is trying to answer my other question in the same post, I do not find it funny or ironical I am afraid.
harryputtar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:01   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for chipping in sriramv.iyer, I hope the above answers your concerns. I am not a regular offender of either traffic norms, or what should be ethical behaviour. This has never happened with me earlier, so I guess I was not vigilant enough, I live and learn!
@harryputtar, I just wanted to point out - Nothing more. Thanks for taking my inputs in the right spirit. (I have made tons of mistakes in life, and I too learn everyday)

Quote:
About Zahir's response, he is trying to answer my other question in the same post, I do not find it funny or ironical I am afraid.
I think I should have expressed this better - I meant that the earlier post by @an_and he says, a new car meant for delivery shouldn't be handed over for test drive, and in the next post, @Zahir says floor the pedal. (I don't mean, Zahir wanted you to floor a new car meant for some other customer) - So, I found the situation funny when I read both the posts back to back.

Hope I have cleared the air!

And, my congrats in advance for getting such a beautiful car!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:15   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs Zahir, that gives me a lot of peace of mind about my choice.

No problem, happy to help. It's a great car for the segment it's in and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I do!

By the way, I don't think sriramv.iyer was trying to be offensive or suggest that you should redline someone else's car. Honestly, when I read his post, I laughed too
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:57   #186
BHPian

Quote:
@harryputtar, I just wanted to point out - Nothing more. Thanks for taking my inputs in the right spirit. (I have made tons of mistakes in life, and I too learn everyday)
Thanks for understanding pal!

Quote:
I think I should have expressed this better - I meant that the earlier post by @an_and he says, a new car meant for delivery shouldn't be handed over for test drive, and in the next post, @Zahir says floor the pedal. (I don't mean, Zahir wanted you to floor a new car meant for some other customer) - So, I found the situation funny when I read both the posts back to back.

Hope I have cleared the air!
Absolutely , all is well .

Quote:
And, my congrats in advance for getting such a beautiful car!
Thanks sriramv.iyer, I hope our long search for a safe family car will end soon on a happy note!

Quote:
No problem, happy to help. It's a great car for the segment it's in and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I do!
Thanks again Zahir, so you have actually got your car delivered now? Man how I envy you! Good luck with your car as well, wish you millions of happy and safe miles on it.

The hunt is now on for car seats and booster seats et al. I have a 1 year old little girl and her 5 year old big sister. The elder one is currently using the adult seat belts in our Santro, which I have read is not a great idea.
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:03   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for understanding pal!

Thanks again Zahir, so you have actually got your car delivered now? Man how I envy you! Good luck with your car as well, wish you millions of happy and safe miles on it.

The hunt is now on for car seats and booster seats et al. I have a 1 year old little girl and her 5 year old big sister. The elder one is currently using the adult seat belts in our Santro, which I have read is not a great idea.
No problem. Yep, got it 2 nights ago. Thanks!

Check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bies-kids.html, the car has an isofix mount so that perfect for your needs
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 00:43   #188
BHPian

Quote:
No problem. Yep, got it 2 nights ago. Thanks!

Check out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bies-kids.html, the car has an isofix mount so that perfect for your needs
Thanks again Zahir, thats a great pointer. I am looking at various options available for car seats in India and in the UK, I have jotted down my experience here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3660625

It looks like I am going to have to order the seats I want from amazon.co.uk and get them shipped to India (not sure at the moment how much it costs on top of the cost of the seat, ideas?).

My concern with this strategy is I will not know for sure whether the seat is completely compatible with the Jetta till I have crossed the point of no return.

I would like to call upon all the Jetta owners on the forum to please share their experiences with isofix base car seats and their compatibility with the Jetta. It will really help me avoid spending around 50k in vain.
Old 12th March 2015, 08:16   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It looks like I am going to have to order the seats I want from amazon.co.uk and get them shipped to India (not sure at the moment how much it costs on top of the cost of the seat, ideas?).
I see your location as Pune. You should get good reputed brands like Britax from Mothercare/Shopper's stop at much lesser price. And you will have the luxury of trying it out in your Jetta.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 13:35   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I see your location as Pune. You should get good reputed brands like Britax from Mothercare/Shopper's stop at much lesser price. And you will have the luxury of trying it out in your Jetta.
Thanks vb_san, I will visit all shoppers stops and the only mothercare in Pune once the car comes home. Do you use a car seat with your Jetta? If so, which one?

Again calling out to other Jetta owners, the more information and feedback I can get about this the better.
Old 16th March 2015, 12:56   #191
BHPian

Finally got the PDI scheduled for my Jetta DSG tomorrow morning and the final delivery on the auspicious day of Gudi Padva, the 21st of March.

Is it OK to do the PDI tomorrow and pick up the car 4 days later? I am concerned I might end up running through the whole PDI checklist again on the 21st.

Is there a smaller checklist around for this purpose? Experiences people?

Also need some quick inputs on mud-flaps, the SA I am talking to is suggesting not to go for mud-flaps, as they have historically scrapped on speed-breakers, and damaged the bumper in the process. He says they do not recommend using mud-flaps with the Jetta. Is this true? What has been your experience Zahir, I read in another thread you got mud-flaps and floor-mats as freebies (well done on that!).

Any other inputs for these last stages would be welcome forum!
Old 16th March 2015, 15:38   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the PDI scheduled for my Jetta DSG tomorrow morning and the final delivery on the auspicious day of Gudi Padva, the 21st of March.

Is it OK to do the PDI tomorrow and pick up the car 4 days later? I am concerned I might end up running through the whole PDI checklist again on the 21st.

Is there a smaller checklist around for this purpose? Experiences people?

Also need some quick inputs on mud-flaps, the SA I am talking to is suggesting not to go for mud-flaps, as they have historically scrapped on speed-breakers, and damaged the bumper in the process. He says they do not recommend using mud-flaps with the Jetta. Is this true? What has been your experience Zahir, I read in another thread you got mud-flaps and floor-mats as freebies (well done on that!).

Any other inputs for these last stages would be welcome forum!
I suggest you take a thorough PDI(both if possible), I skipped this and I still have a broken seatbelt tensioner which has been ordered and will arrive in 8 days. I also had issues with the door not shutting in one smooth motion but this was sorted by the SC.

I did get the mud flaps and I haven't scraped them so far even though I've gone over some pretty tall speed breakers. On the mats, the ones I got free were pretty rubbish, it actually covered the accelerator given the organ design. I would say take them just to feel good on the deal and order 3d Kagu mats in parallel, much more classy and a way better fit. I don't think they're really offering any discounts or giveaways, the car is in demand and the waiting seems to be on the rise

There's a dearth of Jetta DSGs for TD currently and TDs are being given on booked cars so just make sure that the KMs on the 1st PDI and the 2nd on PDI are identical give or take 5km. Be very firm that you wont take delivery.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the car and I'm sure you will be too

Good luck & congrats again

Last edited by Zahir : 16th March 2015 at 15:40.
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 17:59   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you take a thorough PDI(both if possible), I skipped this and I still have a broken seatbelt tensioner which has been ordered and will arrive in 8 days. I also had issues with the door not shutting in one smooth motion but this was sorted by the SC.
Thanks Zahir, just back from my second PDI, they hadnt unlocked all the cars electronics on the first one. I checked all I could and did everything except take a test drive! Going to get the car from the showroom on the 21st, cant wait

Quote:
I did get the mud flaps and I haven't scraped them so far even though I've gone over some pretty tall speed breakers. On the mats, the ones I got free were pretty rubbish, it actually covered the accelerator given the organ design. I would say take them just to feel good on the deal and order 3d Kagu mats in parallel, much more classy and a way better fit. I don't think they're really offering any discounts or giveaways, the car is in demand and the waiting seems to be on the rise
Thanks again Zahir, the SA has me convinced for the moment that speed breakers in Pune are not mud-flap-friendly. Many of them have a plateau on top, and the mud-flaps scrape on the way down, is what he says. I think he may be right the bumper is right next to the mud-flaps, so I am not taking a chance right now. Agree about the mats, will make do with the ones I get from them, and then go for Kagu.

Quote:
There's a dearth of Jetta DSGs for TD currently and TDs are being given on booked cars so just make sure that the KMs on the 1st PDI and the 2nd on PDI are identical give or take 5km. Be very firm that you wont take delivery.
Yes, I have kept a close check on the odometer so far, and will do the same on the delivery day as well.

Quote:
Other than that, I'm very happy with the car and I'm sure you will be too. Good luck & congrats again
Me too Zahir, the car is in a class of its own. I have a few gripes with the car though, things I noticed in the PDIs:

1) No USB port for the highline . USB sounds like the easiest way to get music to your car, surprising.
2) The rubber lining around the windows isnt as top notch quality as the rest of the car. Felt cheap to me.
3) The spare tyre isnt a goodyear anymore, but is a really shoddy looking tyre with spare tyre written on it, with a recommended maximum speed of 80kmph. Cmon VW, it was bad enough to not have a alloy, but a cheap tyre?
4) When we open the boot, there is a thick wire running from the top of the boot to the inside of the boot, it is visible on the left tether. The SA says it used to covered in previous Jettas, looks quite shoddy again. I will post pictures over the weekend.

None of these are deal breakers for me, so I went ahead and made the final payment. Thought other team bhp members should know.

VW did not quite match the online quote I was getting from Tata AIG, but I still went with the dealership insurance for peace of mind.

More over the weekend!
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note : Foul language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

heydj,
You can drive a car. Not a brand!

If someone has money to waste and wants something that's all show an no go, then the A3 is perfect. It is shorter, has lesser boot space, a much higher price tag, a higher operational cost and does not provide even the slightest better performance.

If you speak of an RS3, that's a different ballgame altogether, but paying more and getting less "car" is quite pointless.
heydj / Everyone,
Sorry about this... I absent mindedly wrote on the forum what was intended to be a PM !

Quote:
So visited another VW showroom in Pune yesterday with the home minister. She straight away fell in love with the blue silk color, the comfortline of which was on display on the ground floor of the showroom. Although being inside the comfortline after experiencing the highline during the 2015 launch last week, was a bit of a let down.

Then we visited the first floor where we checked out a Black Jetta TDI DSG, alongside it was a Candy white Vento. When we came back down, the Blue was paling in comparison with the white Vento above. So my thoughts about the new Blue silk color is on its own it will look and feel very nice, but people will soon grow out of it, as it lacks that timeless elegant appeal which only the white can provide. And if I bought the blue color, I would soon be staring at other white Jettas cursing myself everytime I saw one.

As far as the costing of the new Jetta is concerned, I have fought tooth and nail to get some discounts on the DSG, but have come back with a big zero. So I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take the plunge, as I can find no other car in this segment, which is the right mix of safety, performance and looks.

I was in the Skoda showroom yesterday right after the VW showroom. Viewed back to back after the Jetta, the Octavia was a bit disappointing in terms of build quality and the feeling of premium-ness.

Just when we were about to head out, the Superb caught my eye, so I decided to have a dekko. What a car!!! There is only one word to describe the Superb, it is Superb. We just loved the amount of space in the car and little useful thoughtful bits like the sun-blinds. Alas, the TSI DSG 28 lacs on road, which makes it a dream car for us at present. Superb, one day we will have one of you!

So back to the Jetta again, planning to book the DSG today/tomorrow evening, will keep the group posted.
harryputtar,
Looking to the future, I thought you might be interested to have a detailed look at the New Superb (not yet launched in India). I would suggest paying special attention to the 2.0TSI model with 280PS (same engine as the Seat Leon Cupra), just 20PS down from the Golf R.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/overview

I honestly believe it to be the best sedan on the planet in terms of cabin space, equipment, boot space, drivetrain & price.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 20:26   #195
BHPian

so this was how the a3 vs vw jetta vs octavia debate was settled for me. with a race blue 1.8 tsi octavia in elegance trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?-img_20150328_173155.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks