Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car?
Embera 39 67.24%
Civic Automatic 19 32.76%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2006, 21:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Let the new Elantra come it would be a kill for the Civic I spoke to Poenix Hyundai they say only 70k discount on the Embera which is totally BS. He says 10k on Elantra. He also says the new Verna will have features equivalent to well yeah you heard it write the Civic, New Verna is coming here on 2nd October with OTR prices around 8.2L.
Old 2nd August 2006, 21:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

For a car to car comparo hyundai is yet to make it upto Civic/corolla/cedia standards. Even the new generation wont exactly be upto the competition. But the generation after in 2009/2010 would be possible competitive. Obviously this is my speculation based on the current performance comparo.

And are you sure than Accent will be comparable to the civic? Its axually a smaller segment car than the current segment car. though interior space would be more if boot is compromised.
Old 2nd August 2006, 21:54   #33
BHPian

HI,
guys the mind says CIVIC but the heart roots for the EMBERA.
In Delhi you definately can get a very good OTR for the embera.
But what about resale value ? I am also unable to decide on a car in & around the 15L segment but the mind and heart are at loggerheads with each other.
Any suggestions which would combine the both?
Old 3rd August 2006, 01:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Obviously this is my speculation based on the current performance comparo.
I hope you dont speculate with $$$ similarly. Civic/Corolla/Cedia standards? Where did the Cedia come in from? The current Lancer (sold as the Cedia in India) is not comparable to any of its peers and is easily outsold by every other competitor in the market. Even the ugly, expensive and maintenance heavy Megane sedan does better numbers than the Lancer. As for Hyundai, lets just say that Toyota is feeling the heat.

They may not be great in terms of looks, and have more than a tendency to borrow looks but their cars are comparable to, if not better than competition. The Sonata and the Azera are ahead of their respective segment competitors in many ways, while the new Elantra is expected to do the same in its segment.

The new Accent - many people here seem to like it and I must say it is very well built, but I simply cant stand its looks. As I have said many times before, Kia have done a much better job (in the looks department) on the same platform with the Rio. That said, the 110 bhp 1.5 VGT CRDi engine - if it does make it to India - will be punching several segments above its weight.

Getting back to the topic, the Embera is a much better choice than the rather boring and much smaller Civic which has become pretty commonplace now. The Sonata has taken a while to catch on in this market, but now its really taking off. We've also got a few Azeras in the office and I must say I'm very impressed by that car.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd August 2006 at 01:35.
Old 3rd August 2006, 02:27   #35
BHPian

Embera should be the choice. & i am not saying this because Im planning to buy a hyundai.

Overpriced cars present a bad deal to customers like us and unless Honda, Toyota, Skoda, Ford learn a few lessens and price them in comparision with global pricing, they should be simply avoided.

A 2+ litre car has always a great car to drive. Civic just can't be compared, as it falls in the same segment as an elantra.

Asif Ali

Last edited by azifali : 3rd August 2006 at 02:29.
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I hope you dont speculate with $$$ similarly. Civic/Corolla/Cedia standards? Where did the Cedia come in from? The current Lancer (sold as the Cedia in India) is not comparable to any of its peers and is easily outsold by every other competitor in the market. Even the ugly, expensive and maintenance heavy Megane sedan does better numbers than the Lancer. As for Hyundai, lets just say that Toyota is feeling the heat.

They may not be great in terms of looks, and have more than a tendency to borrow looks but their cars are comparable to, if not better than competition. The Sonata and the Azera are ahead of their respective segment competitors in many ways, while the new Elantra is expected to do the same in its segment.

Please check out what car was the first hyundai based on.

"The company's first model, the Cortina, was released in cooperation with the Ford Motor Company in 1968. In 1975, the Pony, the first Korean car, was released, based on Japanese technology from Mitsubishi"

Lets not bring mitsubishi in the picture(I am not even trying to). I never compared cedia to the elantra. I am talking about the segment standards which is straight and obvious from my post.

Hyundai is a great brand and reliable too. Its recently scored second/third after toyota and lexus brands. And yes toyota is feeling the heat.

What I meant was that while Hyundai has high power figures mentioned on their spec sheets, the cars dont really perform equivalently. The engines become harsh and rough near the redline. A 127 hp car that the elantra is , it is beaten by corolla and civic handsdown and a cedia performs better with 115horses. even a octavia with 111horses and a heavier body does the job of performing equivalently. compare the Fuel efficiency figures of all the cars too.

Interiorswise too it loses to each and every other car. Its the efficiency and tehcnology implementation that will take time.

I am in noway saying that Elantra is a bad car. Hyundai knows this fact and hence the reason You get Elantra cheaper than corolla and civic. Meaning it is targeted as a VFM positioning.

Please remember that It took toyota/Honda/Mitsubishi/Skoda years of manufacturing cars to come to this level. Obviously hyundai would be quick to develop equally competitive models but it takes time.

COming back to the post What will be the fuel efficiency from the sonata Embera engine? I suppose its very powerful hence Fuel efficiency may suffer. The twin pipes lend a sporty character.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd August 2006 at 04:04.
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:29   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
"The company's first model, the Cortina, was released in cooperation with the Ford Motor Company in 1968. In 1975, the Pony, the first Korean car, was released, based on Japanese technology from Mitsubishi"
Get a life! next you will be lambblasting Nissan becuase they started of making austin in Japan, ditto BMW who started off with nasty bubble cars

Hyundai have come a long way - true they started with mitsubishi mechanicals - their styling maybe suspect but if you see how things are evolving, Kia is growing in Euroe (also plant being built ) and chromed Hyundais in the US and Asia.
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Get a life! next you will be lambblasting Nissan becuase they started of making austin in Japan, ditto BMW who started off with nasty bubble cars

Hyundai have come a long way - true they started with mitsubishi mechanicals - their styling maybe suspect but if you see how things are evolving, Kia is growing in Euroe (also plant being built ) and chromed Hyundais in the US and Asia.
Mitsubishi started making cars based on Fiat Tipo. Hope that settles the case.

Now why not take the point and create a offtopic argument? Mitsubishi was never in the picture. I use the word and I am bashed.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd August 2006 at 08:52.
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:06   #39

Civic anyday

For me Civic or Honda brand has no snob value. We returned earlier this year from the US and we had never owned anything but luxury cars all our lives. Honda and Toyota are everywhere and very mainstream.

But if I had been in the US now, I would have seriously considered the Honda (or more likely an Acura with similar technology).

For me a car is primarily about engine technology and electronics that run it. This is what gives you driving refinement.

Civic is not only better than Hyundai but a generation ahead than Accord, Camry and Corolla in engine technology.

I also like the fact that it is smaller and more suitable for day to day driving. Mostly I am the only person in the car and don't see a need for a larger size.
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:16   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please check out what car was the first hyundai based on.

And the point is.....?? Do you know that Toyota had withdrawn from the United States market in the 60's because their cars were terribly unreliable.

What matters is today, Sport. And the potential of tommorow. Hyundai is right up there with the best.
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBugy781
For me Civic or Honda brand has no snob value. We returned earlier this year from the US and we had never owned anything but luxury cars all our lives. Honda and Toyota are everywhere and very mainstream.

But if I had been in the US now, I would have seriously considered the Honda (or more likely an Acura with similar technology).

For me a car is primarily about engine technology and electronics that run it. This is what gives you driving refinement.

Civic is not only better than Hyundai but a generation ahead than Accord, Camry and Corolla in engine technology.

I also like the fact that it is smaller and more suitable for day to day driving. Mostly I am the only person in the car and don't see a need for a larger size.
Well said VW - and I am sure the Indian auto buying public knows this. They actually see more VFM in Honda/Toyota than in Embera/Elantra/Accent/Skoda/Fiesta/Aveo. I just came to know that both Toyota and Honda are contemplating small cars very soon. Then Tata/Santro better watch out.
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
And the point is.....?? Do you know that Toyota had withdrawn from the United States market in the 60's because their cars were terribly unreliable.

What matters is today, Sport. And the potential of tommorow. Hyundai is right up there with the best.
Exactly, what matters it today and the potential of tomorrow. Please read post 35 and then the following posts.

I have tried my best to bring the topic back on track.

Ab bacche ki jaan loge kya?
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
I just came to know that both Toyota and Honda are contemplating small cars very soon. Then Tata/Santro better watch out.
Honda is planning a 1.5L car in 2009 in India.
Old 4th August 2006, 20:26   #44
F50
Senior - BHPian

Today Normally Crazy and myself took test drives of Embera and Civic....
The results were shocking .... Stay Tuned!!
Old 5th August 2006, 10:24   #45
BHPian

Looking forward to reading that report..

Looking forward to your shocking discovery F50..

I have another theory (if Hyundai plays ball ;-) )
I think, if Hyundai does some thinking, the embera could follow the baleno model.. Initially very few (eg. me) bought the Baleno and later on it started catching people's eye (with a little help in terms of pricing to nudge the people) and now you see it becoming a mainstream car.

The Embera has something similar to Baleno - no oomph (or as Ajmat put it - bling!) or snob value as compared to the other vendors such as Honda and to some extent Skoda.. the car has a powerful engine (similar to baleno) and could be a VFM (if the delhi pricing is made universal) and then you may see a lot more of them on the streets..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks