Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2014, 20:08   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta: Manual or DCT?

Hi guys,

So I am looking at another car and this time I want an automatic. I was really keen on getting myself a used Honda Civic but I am not sure if I should be getting that old a car. Then during my research over the past two months I set my eyes on Ford Fiesta. I totally love the car! Issue is that the new face-lift isnt available in automatic. I have a second hand car 2012 model. The car fits my budget but I am told that the mileage of automatic Fiesta is too low -- 6-7 kmpl.

I have also shortlisted a couple of Ford Fiestas 2011 models (prior to the 2014 face-lift). The cars are available for cheap but I am really concerned about their mileage as well. The guy says his car delivers 11-12 kmpl.

I was wondering that since the difference between the 2011 and 2014 versions of Fiesta is cosmetic how come the mileage varies so much? How can a two year old car's mileage drop to 11-12 kmph? The new Fiesta, yes its diesel, says to give 25 kmpl (ARAI). Yes, the actual mileage will be lower than that but definitely not in the range of 11-12 as the two year of Fiesta is giving.

I am really confused at the moment and I would love if the Fiesta 2011-2012 manual and automatic owners could tell me the mileages of their cars.

The reason why I am looking at used Fiesta is that the deals are good and I dont even have 12 lakh to spend on a new car. I love the way Fiesta drives and want a car like that.

I really want an automatic this time but will settle for a manual Fiesta if the mileage difference between manual and automatic is huge.
Old 25th September 2014, 21:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford Fiesta: Manual or DCT?

I think you're mixing up the mileage figures for Petrol automatic with the Diesel manual (as far as I know the DCT automatic was never offered with the 1.5 TDCi).

Petrol does have lower mileage (automatics probably a bit lesser than manual) and you shouldn't expect anything more than lower double-digits from a mid-sized Petrol engine unless you can replicate ARAI test conditions in daily driving. Also, most reviewers found the 1.5 Petrol in the new Fiesta disappointing compared to the outgoing 1.6P in the Classic, so consider everything carefully before you spend your money.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 21:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I think you're mixing up the mileage figures for Petrol automatic with the Diesel manual (as far as I know the DCT automatic was never offered with the 1.5 TDCi).

Petrol does have lower mileage (automatics probably a bit lesser than manual) and you shouldn't expect anything more than lower double-digits from a mid-sized Petrol engine unless you can replicate ARAI test conditions in daily driving. Also, most reviewers found the 1.5 Petrol in the new Fiesta disappointing compared to the outgoing 1.6P in the Classic, so consider everything carefully before you spend your money.
The new diesel says 25 kmpl so even if it is 18-20 kmpl I think it is good enough. But yes, you are right. The automatic and manual I am looking at are both petrol versions. So I am surprised that the manual is averaging at 11-12 and automatic at 6-7. Hence wanted to know from current owners of the two models what their cars are averaging at. Will give me an idea about the ones I am looking at and if there are specific issues with the cars.
Old 25th September 2014, 22:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'm sure you would've read GTO's review of the DCT Automatic (just in case you haven't, it can be found here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html)

The DCT is an immensely fun-to-drive gearbox (probably the next best thing to the Volkswagen DSG, and arguably more reliable), even with the not-so-great 1.5 Petrol engine. The 6-7 kmpl mileage you've been quoted is probably the figures achieved in the more aggressive (read fun) 'L' mode. The regular D-mode shifts early and provides decent FE figures (close enough to the manual).

Even assuming lesser FE (it won't be drastically less unless something's wrong with the car or is always driven in L-mode), the automatic gives loads of advantages over a manual and it is a better deal. Read the review for detailed feature analysis, but if you're buying a second-hand Petrol Fiesta (the model is no longer offered by Ford in India), you should seriously consider the automatic.

All that being said, if FE is a priority over fun, Fiesta is not for you. This car is for the heart, not the head.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 22:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
All that being said, if FE is a priority over fun, Fiesta is not for you. This car is for the heart, not the head.
haha. That is not the case. Fuel efficiency isnt the priority over fun factor but I can't afford to spend Rs 20k a month on fuel bills. A mileage of 11-12 is acceptable but 6-7 and I will have to think twice before taking the car out. Hence I am asking automatic owners what they think.
Abh1nav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 00:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta automatic 1.5 liter Petrol mill was equipped with a DCT (dual clutch transmission) there is absolutely no way it can deliver a mileage of 6-7 kmpl. Remember that the whole "automatics give poor mileage" phrase only holds true for traditional slush boxes (torque converter units) modern dual clutch and cvt trannys are supposed to give better mileage in theory and atleast give the roughly the same mileage in real world conditions as a similar manual car. Once you learn how to drive a dual clutch automatic properly 11-12 kmpl ought to be easily achievable.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 08:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm sure you would've read GTO's review of the DCT Automatic (just in case you haven't, it can be found here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html)

The DCT is an immensely fun-to-drive gearbox (probably the next best thing to the Volkswagen DSG, and arguably more reliable), even with the not-so-great 1.5 Petrol engine. The 6-7 kmpl mileage you've been quoted is probably the figures achieved in the more aggressive (read fun) 'L' mode. The regular D-mode shifts early and provides decent FE figures (close enough to the manual).

Even assuming lesser FE (it won't be drastically less unless something's wrong with the car or is always driven in L-mode), the automatic gives loads of advantages over a manual and it is a better deal. Read the review for detailed feature analysis, but if you're buying a second-hand Petrol Fiesta (the model is no longer offered by Ford in India), you should seriously consider the automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Fiesta automatic 1.5 liter Petrol mill was equipped with a DCT (dual clutch transmission) there is absolutely no way it can deliver a mileage of 6-7 kmpl. Remember that the whole "automatics give poor mileage" phrase only holds true for traditional slush boxes (torque converter units) modern dual clutch and cvt trannys are supposed to give better mileage in theory and atleast give the roughly the same mileage in real world conditions as a similar manual car. Once you learn how to drive a dual clutch automatic properly 11-12 kmpl ought to be easily achievable.
I am not really sure about this. My friend bought a Nissan Micra CVT 6 months ago and the advertised mileage of the car is lower than the manual version (19.27 kmpl) but the car is only giving around 11.

Therefore, I dont really buy when carmakers say that new automatics give mileage equal or near-about to manual versions. There is definitely a drop and a significant one.
Abh1nav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 13:21   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta: Manual or DCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
A mileage of 11-12 is acceptable
No chance you'll get 11 - 12 kpl with any 1.5L petrol automatic sedan. The Fiesta DCT's fuel economy ranges between 8 - 10 kpl (depending on driving style & traffic conditions).

As always, it helps to search on Team-BHP. We got it all covered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
My brother gets scared to drive this car. In his words, "the fuel guage just moves like the tachometer in this car". Real world F.E. for bombay traffic is 8-9 kmpl. Small tank (42 liters) along with low f.e. gives a realistic range of 300kms only. But, f.e. is not a criteria when we buy cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvikki View Post
First fill (Filled Speed) - It had gone 335 KM and I refuelled 35.1l. Approx 9.6 kmpl in the first feel.
Second fill (Filled Shell Premium) - 310 KM and 35l !. Marginal drop to around 9 kmpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
Fuel efficiency? It is exactly 10, with the air conditioning always on, and my driving is mostly in the messy Bangalore traffic. Me thinks that ain't bad for an automatic in the city.
The DCT is a superb gearbox. You have to compromise FE for the convenience though.

Quote:
My friend bought a Nissan Micra CVT 6 months ago and the advertised mileage of the car is lower than the manual version (19.27 kmpl) but the car is only giving around 11.
True, one reason you shouldn't trust ARAI figures blindly is because they're too limited in their scope.

CVT ratings, especially, can be misleading. CVTs are capable of giving very tall highway gearing, boosting their test figures. However, it's a different story in the city.
Old 26th September 2014, 13:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The DCT is a superb gearbox. You have to compromise FE for the convenience though.
So DCT at 8-10 and manual at 11-12. I think paying extra (around 2 lakh) for DCT Fiesta is not a very bad deal then.
Old 26th September 2014, 13:46   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So DCT at 8-10 and manual at 11-12. I think paying extra (around 2 lakh) for DCT Fiesta is not a very bad deal then.
You mean to say that there is a difference of 2 lakhs between an AT and MT Fiesta (assume its around same age/mileage)? If so, I would say the premium is huge.

One key advantage of the Fiesta DCT, other than the AT convenience is that it comes with ESP and factory fitted leather seats.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 14:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No chance you'll get 11 - 12 kpl with any 1.5L petrol automatic sedan. The Fiesta DCT's fuel economy ranges between 8 - 10 kpl (depending on driving style & traffic conditions).

As always, it helps to search on Team-BHP. We got it all covered:

True, one reason you shouldn't trust ARAI figures blindly is because they're too limited in their scope.

CVT ratings, especially, can be misleading. CVTs are capable of giving very tall highway gearing, boosting their test figures. However, it's a different story in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You mean to say that there is a difference of 2 lakhs between an AT and MT Fiesta (assume its around same age/mileage)? If so, I would say the premium is huge.

One key advantage of the Fiesta DCT, other than the AT convenience is that it comes with ESP and factory fitted leather seats.
Yeah.. i am getting a manual 2011 version at 4.5 lakh and a 2012 DCT at 6.5 lakh which has run less than 20k. Manual one is around 30k.
Old 26th September 2014, 15:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Choice of AT vs MT will depend on average monthly running. I will go with AT if additional expense is affordable for me.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2014 at 12:40. Reason: Typo
Old 26th September 2014, 15:46   #13
BHPian

I have a 1.6L Fiesta petrol and the mileage is always between 10 and 11 (unless when I do longer drives that have given me 13-14 max). You cant expect more than 10 on a DCT
Srikji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

As an owner of a Ford fiesta automatic petrol, here are my observations:

# In bumper to bumper, heavy stop and go conditions the DCT gives mileage of 7 to 8 kmpl.

# in normal city traffic, you can expect mileage of mid 8's to mid 9's or even an occasional low 10's

# highway runs, open road, relaxed driving will give approx 13 to 15.

# with cruise control on highways, at 80kmph, have seen MID report FE of 5l/100 km

The dct is a boon in traffic with smooth up shifts in normal driving conditions.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th September 2014 at 18:01.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 18:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah.. i am getting a manual 2011 version at 4.5 lakh and a 2012 DCT at 6.5 lakh which has run less than 20k. Manual one is around 30k.
In this case, 6 - 6.5 lakhs for a 2012 Fiesta AT with a running of less than 20K sounds like a better option.

Most Viewed