View Poll Results: Elantra GT or Elantra Crdi
Elantra GT 2 5.56%
Elantra Crdi 34 94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2006, 11:14   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After the recent Bangy-drive report, I am darn keen to drive a Petes-Elantra. The boys could not stop raving about its performance. I am sure it had a lot to do with the driver, but still...
Old 1st August 2006, 20:59   #17
BHPian

Thanks guys. My heart did want the skoda but I've had a large car earlier but I'd rather be more practical in India where fuel costs are high and there is a worry about over exploitation of the customer !
So Ive cancelled the booking for skoda and talking to the dealers for petrol & crdi elantra.

CRDi seems to be a better deal - the dealer kun hyundai - anna nagar is giving about 25k discount + sunfilm and minor goodies thrown in.

The on road is 9.10 lakhs for the CRDi
7.25 for the petrol
I would like to know - which is a better deal - i wouldnt mind the base petrol for the power (and suits my budget) but it doesnt have ABS or even airbags.

The diesel base is slightly off budget but im just waiting to test drive a petrol before i make a decision.

So it is elantra for me, just to check

>is petrol good enough as well (i expect <2k per month)?
>how much are the dealer discounts in Chennai

I dont worry much about resale for now but does the elantra petrol depreciate too much ?..
Also how is the driving experience between diesel and petrol
Last - the steering seemed very light and i couldnt feel the car - is there a fix for that ?? Also the suspension was too soft.
As for power - I think its great.
regards

Asif Ali
Old 1st August 2006, 21:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last - the steering seemed very light and i couldnt feel the car - is there a fix for that ?? Also the suspension was too soft.
I was going to post my short driving expereince of the Elantra and these two points were going to be made there. I happened to rent a Elantra for a day and I noticed those two points too. In fact, I found the car pretty tiring to drive. You literally have to hold the steering tight to keep the car straight and the suspension was way too soft, the car pitched and rolled badly on the expressway ramps. How comfortable were you driving the car? I found the ergonomics extremely pathetic. The seats are horrible, gave me a back ache and the controls are not intutive. And I hated the driving position. The CRdi maybe a stonker of a engine but the rest of the car has to be driver oreinted too and thats where the Elantra turns out to be a typical Hyundai. Overall, pretty disappointed with the expereince considering that I specifically asked for a Elantra.

The car I had was a 2004 Elantra Petrol.

Last edited by amit : 1st August 2006 at 22:01.
Old 1st August 2006, 22:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
As for the 7.3L skoda. remeber you can afford to buy a 7 series BMW too if it is old enough, but your budget is of a 7.5L car owner so you can never maintain it. Skoda maintaining cost is up there with 15L+ cars. so if you can afford the eMI of a 15L car, only then buy a 15L car.
Thats very well said. However, I think, the assumption being made is that a BMW guy will go to a authorised BMW service center with his 10 yr old car. And so for the skoda.

If one is buying a car mainly for its image, as against driving pleasure, he would get it serviced at any roadside mechanic at costs comparable to a lower priced car.
Old 1st August 2006, 23:39   #20
BHPian

The Petrol and CRDI elantras have very different suspension setups, and the CRDI has a much more stiffer setup. Most reviews which turn up in magazines is based on the petrol version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
You literally have to hold the steering tight to keep the car straight and the suspension was way too soft, the car pitched and rolled badly on the expressway ramps.
Probably bad alignment on the rental?

Quote:
.. and the controls are not intutive.
Which controls are not intuitive? Thought the controls are standard fare. Or do you normally drive left hand drive cars(as in the US)?

Quote:
The CRdi maybe a stonker of a engine but the rest of the car has to be driver oreinted too and thats where the Elantra turns out to be a typical Hyundai. Overall, pretty disappointed with the expereince considering that I specifically asked for a Elantra.

The car I had was a 2004 Elantra Petrol.
I used(borrowed) both versions before buying the CRDI, and in fact this is my first diesel also. Both are very different, and it is the CRDI which had me bowled. The petrol Elantra is pretty much a big car going cheap, nothing more...
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:10   #21
BHPian

I have driven a Elantra CRDi, Elantra Petrol, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi L n K, Skoda Octavia 1.8 vRS and i can vouch for it that the the CRDi powered Elantra is much better then the 1.9TDi powered Octy in the Features(You get (Alloys, Climate Control, ABS TCS), Comfort, Engine Performance, Service and Maintainance & Value for Money. The vRS is obviously better then the Elantra petrol but is beaten by the Elantra in terms of Value for money and headroom/legroom.

Just my Two quid.
Old 3rd August 2006, 02:00   #22
BHPian

closing this thread. Reposting this as a poll

Last edited by azifali : 3rd August 2006 at 02:15.
Old 3rd August 2006, 02:20   #23
BHPian

Elantra CRDi vs Elantra Petrol

I did a test drive of Elantra GT Petrol - the handling is better than CRDI, the engine obviously better and smooth. The understeer (from Diesel) is lesser and the car also costs cheaper 7.25 lakhs On road price in chennai.

But the goodies are missing and so is the diesel economy.

Even the dealer advises me to go in for the CRDi. What are your comments.

When I calculate the total cost of ownership (TCO -) for 2k kms month year over 5 years, the costs are pretty much the same for diesel. So now its really about CRDI with traction control + ABS on diesel +better interiors or the petrol which drives better in the City.

Here's my TCO calculation

Petrol
Cost==> - 7.55 on road chennai
DP ==>+ 300000
Discount ==>- 25k
loan amount==>+ 4.30 lakhs, interest about 1.15 lakhs for 5 years
Petrol costs - 2000 (travelling distance per month)/10 (kmpl)*53==10600*12(months)*5(years)
==>636000
Resale value after 5 years =>-2,50,000 lakhs
===============================Rs 12,85,000

cRDI
Cost ==>- 9.30 on road chennai
DP ==>+ 3,00,000
Discount ==>- 25k
loan amount ==>+ 6,70,000, interest about 1,60,000 for 5 years
Diesel costs - 2000 (travelling distance per month)/12 (kmpl)*36== *12(months)*5(years)
==> + 3,60,000
-Resale value after 5 years => - 3,00,000 lakhs
+Service costs for 5 years=60 months*1000 (average)
Net costs===============================Rs 12,50,000

Are there more compelling reasons to choose a diesel over a petrol or vice versa. Of course if the 2k kms per month goes up to a higher figure, the odds favour diesel.

Please give me your comments

ASif Ali
Old 3rd August 2006, 02:31   #24
BHPian

hey, how do i make this post a poll ??.. The help docs, dont seem to help ! So help please

This thread has been made into a poll

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd August 2006 at 03:04.
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

What if you buy a Elantra GT and install a CNG kit?

Consider the price then.

You will get power from petrol and economy of CNG.

resale would be more and price would be more. See what it come out to be.
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:44   #26
Team-BHP Support

CNG would be a great option except for 2 things
1. Availability of CNG
2. Warranty would be void.
So if that is okay then go for CNG. Remeber you will have to hunt for CNG stations, and if anything breaks, you will not get warranty, you will have to pay out of your own pocket.
Regarding diesel and Petrol economy, Petrol will give you around 8 and diesel from 10-12. Also the elantra performance in diesel is pretty adequate and you can always go for pete's box when you dont care about warranty!
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Its a bit off-topic. Wont one feel tempted to go for more long drives/tours if he has a more economic(and good engine etc) car?

Azifali, on a later stage if you want more power from your Crdi, would you ge yourself a Pete's?
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Great analysis

Now the googly - what about the new Elantra already out !! Will that spoil the party further ?
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:12   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

CRDi anyday! The petrol Elantra is a bummer and the resale value alone should tip you over to the CRDi. Plus its far better to drive.
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:51   #30
Jay
BHPian

Driven a 1.9Tdi octy and seen the Elantra Crdi perform.... Would vouch for the Elantra Crdi any day...
As for petrol vs Crdi.... i suggest you go for the Crdi itself.... later on, in case you need more power... you can go for the Pete's tuning box...

Most Viewed