Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which diesel automatic sedan?
Skoda Rapid 134 40.12%
Hyundai Verna 45 13.47%
Volkswagen Vento 155 46.41%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 00:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento

I took a Test drive of the Rapid TDI DSG, Honda City Petrol and the Vento TSI DSG yesterday and must say that I was not completely happy with the Rapid Diesel DSG. The turbo lag is much evident now. The Engine is not as smooth as the earlier 1.6 TDI, which was fun to drive. and it seems way overpriced too. The Honda city petrol, even though with a MT, felt much easier to drive and smoother in comparison. The Vento TSI is also pretty smooth and peppy. The 1.5 TDI is not as much fun somehow.

Also the price difference between the TDI DSG and TSI DSG/City VX MT is approx 1.5-1.6 lacs and the 2.5 lacs with the City V MT! So now am more leaned towards the Honda city as its a nice fast petrol car and also should be more reliable. Also the price difference is big so it will negate the savings made on cheaper fuel.

I am also offered the old Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2014 make) at a 50k discount, which is definitely better engine compared to the 1.5 TDI but am not sure if I should go for a discontinued engine.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:05   #77

I am having the same conundrum.. Whether to go for 1.6 TDI manual or the 1.5 TDI 7 speed DSG. And then there are the Japanese cars - the city VD and the etios VD. Both have weak engine but for a mostly highway chauffeur driven car (25k per year), their reliability and price appeal just as the outgoing vento with its huge discounts. Would love to hear your input/comments.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:57   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I am also offered the old Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2014 make) at a 50k discount
50k does not cut it, push for 1 lakh.
At least thats what dealer is offering up north.
Old 20th November 2014, 00:23   #79

So, the general impression is that although vento and rapid are both almost the same car, vento seems to have the edge on premium feel while some feel rapid has the edge on suspension/handling. Both those are debatable but that seems to be the general view. As for 2014 vs 2015 vento automatics, 2015 with a 7speed auto tranny is a better choice, if you were to ask me. If discounts do matter and give you more "value", I would advise the manual TDI from 2014 which is essentially the same car for less.
Old 20th November 2014, 01:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
50k does not cut it, push for 1 lakh.
At least thats what dealer is offering up north.
I asked for 1 lac discount, which I was also offered just when the new car was launched. But the sales person said that was offered then on a 2013 car. Now you will be getting a 2014 car so 50k is what we can offer max plus another 12-15k insurance margin will also be given. So total 62-65k max. But still thinking whether it makes sense to go for a discontinued engine and a car which must be lying at the plant for possibly 8-10 months. Will also miss out on the added features on the refreshed vento. All this for the sake of the 1.6 TDI engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.catch.22 View Post
So, the general impression is that although vento and rapid are both almost the same car, vento seems to have the edge on premium feel while some feel rapid has the edge on suspension/handling. Both those are debatable but that seems to be the general view. As for 2014 vs 2015 vento automatics, 2015 with a 7speed auto tranny is a better choice, if you were to ask me. If discounts do matter and give you more "value", I would advise the manual TDI from 2014 which is essentially the same car for less.
By 2014 you mean the 1.6 TDI Vento right? Well its not just about discounts but the car should be also fun to drive and the 1.5 TDI DSG somehow doesn't cut in. Turbo lag is more prominent and felt as if the car was dragging somehow. Wasn't as much fun to drive as the old 1.6 TDI. Plus whem compared to the City Petrol, It is priced also much higher so the fuel price difference won't matter. So was wonderinv whether its worth going for the old 1.6 TDi or to go for the City petrol instead. My yearly usage will also be around 12-15k kms max as this would be my second car.

Last edited by magikrider : 20th November 2014 at 01:37.
Old 20th November 2014, 01:37   #81

There is not much of a difference in the 1.6l v 1.5l engine. It is the mated transmission that I think you should worry about. I would suggest you go for the newer one. It will have better gear ratios, a more comfortable drive and will give you a better mileage. Again, if you prefer the discount, I would recommend the manual tranny on the 2014 but I would personally stay away from the older DSG.
Old 24th November 2014, 02:38   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.catch.22 View Post
There is not much of a difference in the 1.6l v 1.5l engine. It is the mated transmission that I think you should worry about. I would suggest you go for the newer one. It will have better gear ratios, a more comfortable drive and will give you a better mileage. Again, if you prefer the discount, I would recommend the manual tranny on the 2014 but I would personally stay away from the older DSG.
There wasn't any DSG offered on the older 1.6 TDI. Its only offered now on the 1.5 TDI apart from the TSI. The gear ratios and drive comfort are similar in both.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:53   #83

Yes. 1.6TDI if you don't mind switching gears. As for the petrol vs diesel choice, you are perhaps the better judge of that. Some people like the cheaper tankfuls while others like paying less money to buy depreciating assets. I would buy the car I like driving and it may still be the Vento TDI as the City steering is a little too light for me. If you want peace of mind though, City is tried and tested. In my case, I have the problem of buying for my dad who does not even drive and for a chauffeur car, maybe even an Etios works. That's why I was wondering about these diesels - City vs Etios vs Vento. And I don't have a choice of petrol as the car does 20-25k km per year which eats away any pricing calculations.

My mistake. Thanks for catching that. For some reason I was thinking of the Verna auto.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th November 2014 at 21:50. Reason: Posts merged. Post edited for grammar & spellling.
Old 25th November 2014, 21:45   #84
BHPian

Vento is the one to go for. Better reliability great ride. What more should you ask for. Vento Is my take.
Old 26th November 2014, 08:38   #85

How is the ground clearance experience with the vento. I ask not for the urban roads but for the rural ones. I am sure it is a great highway ride but once we get off the highway and go interiors, I am wondering if the European sedan with its lower engine cover will hold up to the bad roads.

I have zeroed in on a 1.6l TDI highline for 11.5 on road in Hyderabad.
Old 10th December 2014, 16:29   #86
BHPian

Hello,

I have bought a 1.6 TDI VW Vento Highline which is a August, 2014 make. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Old 15th December 2014, 15:33   #87
BHPian

Skoda Rapid: 'Buy in 2014, Pay in 2016' Campaign

Under the offer, interested people can buy a Skoda Rapid by paying a down payment of Rs. 1.87 lakh and an additional Re. 1 for the year 2015. Then from 2016, buyers will be asked to pay Rs. 17,563 as EMI. The car on offer is the updated Skoda Rapid that the company launched earlier this year. The updated Rapid was launched with a new 1.5-litre diesel engine that churns out a maximum power output of 104bhp and 250Nm of peak torque. Other than the new engine, Skoda also brought in the new 7-speed DSG gearbox on the car.

Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento-skodarapid_678x352_41418300348.jpg

Source: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/skoda-rapi...ampaign-711730
Old 20th December 2014, 13:06   #88
BHPian

I have been test driving the Verna and Vento back to back for a while now and I must say I'm confused on what I want to own for a time period of over 5 years. I'm more happy with the Vento's driving dynamics but the Verna's isn't that bad either. I also felt the Verna's engine was more responsive and refined. The Verna also has more in terms of equipment in my opinion, like auto fold mirrors, a clean air filter on the air con, projector lamps etc. plus the Hyundai reliability and after sales. But the Vento feels more robust and has the wonderful DSG transmission which I personally love.

The real deal breaker for the Verna in my opinion would be the rear seat height, being too low and the steeply sloping rear window line, which make the rear passengers feel claustrophobic and at times nauseous.

I didn't find the Vento to be that better made on the inside than the Hyundai. I'm not being biased but the feel of the switch- gears, knobs etc. felt more or less identical in terms of quality on both the cars. Sometimes I even found the Hyundai's controls to be more "well oiled" than the VW's. I think the VW Polo's interiors feel like they are of superior quality, owing to it's darker colour scheme. Maybe they should have kept the same theme for the Vento instead of the beige color scheme for giving a fake sense of space, which in my opinion accentuates the blandness of the design when compared to the more fresh and cocooning interiors of competing cars. Also there is always this nagging feeling that the Vento is just a stretched- out hatchback while the Verna is a proper sedan, ground up. That makes the Verna feel more purpose-built rather than an afterthought. I feel a sedan needs to be a bit more wide and have a more planted stance than the Vento which feels too plain and disproportionately long at times. Then there are the recurring attempts by VW to increase the equipment levels by adding aftermarket hardware (like the new "Konnect" package) which really shows a lot about the amount of effort (or the lack of it!) taken by the company to make a sedan for India. I love the Polo and Jetta and consider them segment leaders without a doubt. Can't say the same about the Vento though.

I want to side with the VW for the feel good factor the brand emanates but I end up feeling short changed somewhere around the line. And in Kerala, where I stay, the top of the line Vento diesel is over 13 lakhs while the Verna is a shade above 12.5. The enthusiast in me is getting more power and torque for less and the sensible me is getting more fuel economy and possible resale value. If it weren't for the Verna's softer suspension tune and low rear seat height, choosing from these two cars would've been a no- brainer for me.

I wish manufacturers took this segment more seriously and realize that there are buyers who appreciate thoughtful design and solid engineering for the budget rather than evident afterthoughts which make the car feel more like a picture which has been drawn and re- drawn so much that it's filled with eraser marks and holes on the drawing sheet.

VJ
Old 19th January 2015, 19:00   #89

Honda City vs VW Vento vs Skoda Rapid vs any Sedan : around 10-11 Lakhs

Hello,

I would want to get your expertise in an important decision making for which I am really confused at the moment. I am planning to upgrade my Wagon R.

A few details :

Monthly Driving Distance : 1600 Kms
Budget : 10-11 Lakhs
Expectation : to own for atleast 5 years with no lag in performance.

Questions I am looking to get answered to :-

1. What should I go for ? Petrol/Diesel?
2. Seeing the crazy traffic of Delhi - Gurgaon to and fro, Automatic makes sense. Which one to go for?
3. Which car would make sense?
-I also like Skoda for instance, but heard about their negative maintenance support
-Honda City looks lovely for me, I am confused between VMT petrol or AT (SVMT), but huge waiting time is killing me.
-Haven't Test driven Verna, but heard about the rear seating uncomfortability.
-Ecosport AT sounds good as well, haven't test driven. What do you think?

I would really look for some answers to my muddled thinking at the moment as I feel confused. Frankly speaking, I would have gone and booked the City Petrol but I was shocked to hear such a long waiting. This gave me some amount of time to think about the AT versions due to traffic and also on other models in the same price range.

Thanks.
Old 31st January 2015, 02:14   #90
BHPian

Hi all,

I am in similar dilema like many here as to which car to buy amongst these three.

I considered the City Petrol Automatic, found it very mediocre to drive, not exciting at all, its just a basic car coming to drivability, handling, power. Space and equipment wise its loaded.

Next came Verna Diesel Automatic.
Excellent when it comes to features list, and a regined engine. Coming to Power, Handling, Performance, its very poor. Its not fun to drive at all, and again like the honda city, its just that you have to be happy that its an automatic, and u are not having the pain to drive a manual in this traffic.
Only advantage over City is that its Diesel.

Then i drove the Skoda Rapid.
As a few reports said here its suspensions r better than Vento, i didn't find it different and would rate it same as vento. The power was lousy! I was a bit taken aback and was feeling Verna to be much better. Only good here is the Cruise Control.
Definately a no-no for me as tthe new rapid is already launched globally and we are still driving old crap. Any moment they coild pull the plug on this model and replace with the latest one.

Next i drove the Vento TSI DSG.
I purposely kept the Vento TDI DSG for the last as wanted to taste it after seeing all competition.
the TSI DSG is a brilliant drive! Excellent handling, performance and Power.
with a good descent not too heavy foot, i was getting a mileage reading of around 9-9.5 kmpl. I had reset the mileage display before starting off.
very exciting engine sound, great pickup, but tradeoff is the mileage - understandable.
I had shortlisted the Verna and Vento TSI by now, and was waiting to try out the Vento TDI DSG now.

Today i test drove the Vento tdi-dsg, and am now in love with it!
after driving the rapid, i had less hopes from this, but it all changed. Driving this a day after driving the TSI, i felt this engine close to the TSI in terms of power delivery. I took it for a long spin and first half was ripping it hard via manual shifting, revving the engine all the way to the redline, and was immensely thrilled by the power felivery, handling and performance. Stability is great, cornerings were steady and suspensions were just perfect.
i drove this along with my friend who drives quiet light footed,and during his drive, he was getting a mileage reading of around 16-20kmpl as he was also ripping it at times between his light footed drive.
after i took over, in a similar driving, i was getting around 14-14.5kmpl on the meter, never did it go less than 14!

end of drive, i was thoroughly impressed with this one.

Now my decission was to be between Vento Tdi-Dsg or the Verna Diesel Automatic.

What i gain in Verna against Vento is:
auto dimming rear view mirror
keyless start
rear view camera
Projector lamps
electric folding mirror

What i gain in Vento against the Verna:
Excellent Pickup / Performance
Very good handling,
very good suspension setup
very good FE (my friends verna in light footed city drive gives around 9-9.5 And Vento seems to be 13-14 minimum)
great braking
very smart sporty steering

rear leg space i found quiet similar in both but Verna was very slightly better, but the seats were low, and i liked the slightly higher seating of the Vento.

Trim quality of both vehicles are top notch.

Keeping all this in mind i see that i lose out on some lifestyle features on the Vento, but Gain a lot more in terms of drivability features.
i think i can live easily without the extra features verna offers, but my minimum of 5 years of ownership and driving moments would be very dull with the Verna.

End of day, i have concluded on the Vento TDI-DSG now keeping the gains against Verna in mind.

I am waiting to see the new Verna facelift before i finalise on the Vento.

I am now not considering the Vento TSI only because the TDI also has very good power, and i dont feel the need to go for the TSI sacrificing mileage for a little more power.

PS: My friend was insisting me to go for the Verna as he has one too and he is very happy with it. But after todays drive, he is also more inclined towards the Vento. We both didn't expect the Vento to perform so well, so brilliantly!

There are lot more people out there who are least bothered about these performance/handling stuff and are more interested in a feature rich automatic diesel car to take them from point a to b, Verna is definitely better for them I would say. But for the few here who really are looking for a performance sedan with a little compromise on lifestyle features, Vento all the way!
Enough said!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 31st January 2015 at 02:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks