Team-BHP - Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/156592-diesel-automatic-showdown-skoda-rapid-vs-hyundai-verna-vs-vw-vento.html)

Name:  Rapid.png
Views: 50276
Size:  19.9 KB

Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG

What you'll like:

• Smooth & convenient 7-Speed DSG Automatic. Lightning fast upshifts
• Competent 1.5L diesel engine. Good driveability & performance
• Safety kit: ESC (electronic stability control), hill-hold function, ABS & dual airbags
• An automatic that provides excellent fuel economy too
• European build quality is more solid than most competitors
• Mature suspension. Balanced ride & handling package
• Features such as projector headlamps, rake & reach steering, cruise control, adjustable driver armrest, rear air-con etc.

What you won't:

• Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission
• 1.5L TDI is loud & gruffy at high rpm. Not as explosive as the outgoing 1.6L TDI either
• Tall rear floor hump makes the Rapid more suited as a 4 seater, than 5
• This model is now among the oldest from the C2 sedan segment. Fresher alternatives are available
• No styling changes. It's the last car to retain Skoda's earlier design language
• Rapid doesn't get the 1.2L TSI engine from the Vento. Lacklustre 1.6L MPI continues
• Skoda’s ill-famed after sales service & dealer network

Link to Official Review

Hyundai Verna

What you'll like:

• A great looking Hyundai sedan
• Well-packaged; sufficient room front & back
• Competent 1.6L powerplant; Superior power and torque figures
• Ride quality & behaviour in the city
• Several segment-first features (16" wheels, reversing camera, keyless entry & go, electric folding mirrors and more)
• Top notch safety equipment including 6 airbags, ABS + EBD, all wheel disc brakes etc.
• Hyundai's excellent reliability and after-sales service. Fuss-free ownership guaranteed

What you won't:

• Dynamics & high speed handling capability. Softly tuned suspension
• Lack of steering feedback. Not to an enthusiast's taste
• High speed ride quality isn't flat. Suspension, especially on uneven roads, gets wallowy
• 4-speed old school Automatic gearbox. The competitors offer a faster 7-speed!
• Poor under-thigh support of the low rear seat

Link to Official Review

Volkswagen Vento 1.5L DSG
Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento-vento.png

What you'll like:

• Clean and mature styling
• Smooth & convenient 7-Speed DSG Automatic. Lightning fast upshifts
• Competent 1.5L diesel engine. Good driveability & performance
• Safety kit: ESC (electronic stability control), hill-hold function, ABS & dual airbags
• An automatic that provides excellent fuel economy too
• Mature suspension setup. Balanced ride & handling
• European build quality is more solid than most competitors

What you won't:

• Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission
• 1.5L TDI is loud & gruffy at high rpm. Not as explosive as the outgoing 1.6L TDI either
• Tall rear floor hump makes the Vento more suited as a 4 seater, than 5
• VW's inconsistent after-sales service
• Been around since 2010. Looks dated, compared to new entrants in the segment

Link to Official Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section. Thanks for sharing!

The poor ol' Verna is hopefully and hilariously outmatched. It doesn't look so on paper, but it has brought a knife to a gunfight. Other than the reliability factor, brand cache and proven Hyundai aftersales, it has next to nothing going for it versus the Rapid and Vento. It's more expensive, will not be as economical when you go to the bump and it just doesn't have the road manners of either of the two VAG siblings.

It'll be interesting to see how people vote on this one, but I can only see the Verna taking bronze and bringing up the rear.

Even though I am really apprehensive about the reliability of the DSG gearbox, the Verna really is a no match. My view goes for the Vento because to me it looks better than rapid.

My vote goes for VW Vento DSG. Although Rapid is the same car, i like Vento's styling.

Although Verna has advantage in many areas like better Engine with lower NVH and more power, but the stone age 4 speed Automatic and lack of driving involvement are huge turn offs for me.

My concern with DQ200 transmission and poor after sales support from VW Group remain. My own car spent 26 days in workshop last month just because Skoda could not source the part, the actual job just took one hour after the part arrived.

In my mind Vento and Rapid are mostly on par for me. And I like the fact that the Rapid comes with Projectors and Cruise Control (which I believe is quite needed for an DSG AT). But my vote is also for the Vento. Somehow seems more classy to me (of course another reason is because I am a Vento TSI DSG Owner:D)

Vento is my choice, since VW service is better than the Skoda, any day.

Will be interesting to see off-market suspension upgrade on a Verna. That would probably bring it in to the contest. :)

The Verna may be outmatched in terms of its old school gearbox and uninvolved driving experience. But lets not forget the underdog that it is. It was a car with a lot of feature firsts for its class. Including the all important diesel engine + AT combination. It's probably the main reason why other manufacturers are taking notice that there is a good demand for this engine and gearbox combination.

Now that it's got some competition, let's wait and see what Hyundai have to offer to stay in the competition. Technically, it needs very minor adjustments to make it desirable.

I prefer the Vento's styling and for me more than cruise control, the leatherette seats and darker interior scheme seal the deal over the Rapid. Rapid is looking old now but the Vento is just timeless. With the new dual barell smoked lights it looks very nice. Wish they updated the bumper and grill from the Polo though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 3558565)
My vote goes for VW Vento DSG. Although Rapid is the same car, i like Vento's styling.

My concern with DQ200 transmission and poor after sales support from VW Group remain. My own car spent 26 days in workshop last month just because Skoda could not source the part, the actual job just took one hour after the part arrived.

I used to feel that the Vento and Rapid are in essence the same car. However, things are a bit different today. The Rapid has always driven better than the Vento due to the suspension set up. This is still true, in-fact it feels like a different car altogether. The seats feel extremely premium and are much more comfortable than the Vento. The quality of materials used feel more premium as well. From the different TD cars I have seen, the Rapid seems to age better as well (both exteriors and interiors) I'd prefer to drive the rapid and look at a Vento!!
In Bangalore, you get much better service from Skoda dealers than VW ones. I certainly have had no issues maintaining my Laura and VW owners I know have been very disgruntled by underhanded servicing tricks to increase cost of service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chethan B G (Post 3558601)
Vento is my choice, since VW service is better than the Skoda, any day.

Will be interesting to see off-market suspension upgrade on a Verna. That would probably bring it in to the contest. :)

Hi Chethan,

I think you have a Jetta. Have you also owned a Skoda? I would appreciate first hand infromation about the difference in A.S.S between the two manufacturers. I have been a very happy Laura owner for 4 years, Nandi Toyota gives me more hassle than either Tafe or Vinayak ever have!

My vote goes to Vento DSG. though Rapid is nearly the same car, i just prefer the Vento's styling over Rapid, and the perception that VW service is better than Skoda. Now if Skoda had brought in the new design language as seen on the European Rapid, things would be at par or in favour of the Rapid. But styling is more of a personal choice than anything else.

Verna may no longer remain in the consideration set even. The old school 4 speed gearbox is sure to be a let down, and even though on paper it has a more powerful engine, i doubt that it can match the VAG cousins in performance, or road manners. Styling is also dated now. Thats the risk with having striking styling; it grows old, while the understated is timeless.

I'm the only one voting for the Verna so far...

If i buy any of these three cars i would obviously go for a remap. With the DQ200 transmission i would not risk it with the VAG cars. I would have the Verna remapped and the suspension changed with something better like Bilsteins or Teins. Hope the Verna torque converter transmission can handle the additional torque, if it can it will be interesting to see how the torque converter lays down the power. I'm told that the Verna 1.6 crdi motor is capable of some really healthy power figures.

And Vento is the clear winner for my vote too. Like everyone else, I too, think there is yet a huge indeterminate factor over reliability of DSG. But again, this is what most of us have been wanting for VW to introduce in the Indian market and here we are! The sole reason for putting Rapid on No. 2 spot is because I like the Vento's simplistic styling better.

I voted for Vento.

Hyundai Verna was never in serious consideration as I personally did not like the design and also it is not a DSG :)

Amongst VAG siblings, I have driven Skoda DSG and it was brilliant, but I will put my money on Vento (have not driven it) as it has the same engine and gear box. I like the interiors better and service is supposedly better than Skoda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 3558641)
I'm the only one voting for the Verna so far...

If i buy any of these three cars i would obviously go for a remap. With the DQ200 transmission i would not risk it with the VAG cars. I would have the Verna remapped and the suspension changed with something better like Bilsteins or Teins. Hope the Verna torque converter transmission can handle the additional torque, if it can it will be interesting to see how the torque converter lays down the power. I'm told that the Verna 1.6 crdi motor is capable of some really healthy power figures.

Capable motor with a super slow 4 speed torque convertor will still be slow to respond, very slow indeed in comparison to the lightening fast upshifts of the dsg. Things looks promising on paper but are actually very different in the real world conditions. You have to drive a dsg vehicle to experience the awesomeness of this gearbox.

The cars we are comparing are passenger cars and not track based. 99% of the owners will use these for their daily drives. Daily drive cars need to be stress free and should have minimal lag. VAG's TDI motors are the best in business and 7 ratios of the DSG makes things even better. Verna stands no chance here.