Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:04   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
I' am planning to buy a new car (budget 5.5 lacs),...This is my first car...
My priorities are listed below.....(1-4, 1 being the highest)

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]1) - Best-in-class accelaration
2) - Best-in-class stability at cornering & high sppeds + safety equipment
(ABS is a must)
3) - Very good service backup & easy availability of spares
4) - decent mileage (10 kpl inside city driving with full A/C is good enough)

Whether it's a sedan or hatch, it doesn't matter.....

I' ve shortlisted 4 cars....(Only petrol engines)

1) Getz
2) Swift
3) Ikon
4) Indigo

Kindly share ur views & suggestions.........
This is the actual message posted by him..which he clearly mentions his budget...5.5 L + ABS is a must..

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk
of the list of 4 cars he has, are you telling me that the Getz & Indigo are faster than the Ikon???????
and i am quite sure that the Icon model in production now is Flair and it does not come with the ABS...if ABS is considerd as a strong point ,only Gets and Swift qualifies under that criteria...

Gets & Indigo are definetly faster than Icon...below stats talk more...

"Icon Flair is 1299cc + 70bhp ,102Nm Torque , 0-100 kmph - 16.5 sec Kerb Weight -1066kg"

"Getz is 1341 cc + 83bhp ,116Nm Torque ,0 - 100 kmph is 15.9 sec Kerb Weight - 1025 kg"

"Swift is 1298cc +87.50 bhp ,113Nm Torque ,0 - 100Kmph is 13.8 sec Kerb weight - 1010Kg"

"Indigo is 1405cc + 85bhp , 110Nm Torque , 0 - 100 Kmph is 14.9 sec Kerb weight - 1135Kg"

The above stats are from ("Topgear India Mag")

Last edited by freakrz : 3rd August 2006 at 12:08.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
I think you've jumped in without reading the full post, probably saw the word "Ikon" and pounced. I'm mentioning Ikon in the context of the shortlist he has made - of the list of 4 cars he has, are you telling me that the Getz & Indigo are faster than the Ikon???????

He is talking about stability & excellent road holding which is where I feel the Ikon scores over the other three....it doesn't matter if it is the Flair, the road holding capabilities are the same.

If you want to start a debate on which the best car is in the price range WITHOUT considering the 4 he has mentioned, PM me, we can continue the discussion outside the forum without increasing the number of posts we have.

Lastly, you seem to have a MAJOR grouse about Ikon, I understand you have had some lousy ownership experiences, but one swallow does not, IMHO, a summer make

Dont take it personally man! My comment was directed at the thread starter and not at your reply. Guess, I should have made myself more clear!

Anyways, my views on Ford are based on more than My ownership experience. It is the collective experience of me, two of my cousins and four friends (although one of them has an endeavour and not Ikon). Also the cars are in Delhi and bangalore. Overall we all agree that Ford A.S.S. sucks big time!
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Dude, the only Ikon on sale is the Flair- No one in their wildest imaginations would say that the car has good accelration- In fact, it is probably the worst among all petrol cars in teh mid size segment. Plus Ford service sucks! I have been an ikon owner in the past so I know how bad ford service can be!
Himanshu dude,Please don't generalize...it really takes away the purpose of the thread and an argument follows...
Being a Ford Ikon Flair owner for the past few months,I would say that though the car doesn't have a very good acceleration but it is a practical car..I would say that its a Value for Money proposition at that price!

-Excellent comfort and good ride handling
-Good Looks
-Decent Fuel Economy of 12 : ~ Subjective !(almost same as getz,Swift + a Sedan !)

Regarding the service aspect,being in Pune,The service offered by Planet FORD is very professional and upto the mark I feel...your experience may be different but there's no need to generalize and vent out your frustration here !
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:09   #19

swift! we have swift since aug'05.

hi !
i hav swift since aug'05. abt its mileage , i m geting abt 11 in city riding condition,i drive so roughly and still geting that much mileage, so can go for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk
Hi all,
I' am new to this forum.....working as a software engineer in Hyderabad...I' am very much into cars & bikes since i can remember.....

I' am planning to buy a new car (budget 5.5 lacs),...This is my first car...
My priorities are listed below.....(1-4, 1 being the highest)

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]1) - Best-in-class accelaration
2) - Best-in-class stability at cornering & high sppeds + safety equipment
(ABS is a must)
3) - Very good service backup & easy availability of spares
4) - decent mileage (10 kpl inside city driving with full A/C is good enough)

Whether it's a sedan or hatch, it doesn't matter.....

I' ve shortlisted 4 cars....(Only petrol engines)

1) Getz
2) Swift
3) Ikon
4) Indigo

Kindly share ur views & suggestions.........

bye
senthil
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

He wants ABS and hence Indigo & Flair is out of the list. And moreover Indigo maybe powerful and sort, but handling???
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
He wants ABS and hence Indigo & Flair is out of the list. And moreover Indigo maybe powerful and sort, but handling???
yea you are right("jkdas")...as per handling...icon is better than indigo...
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:20   #22
BHPian

If only ABS was not a big concern, the esteem or a baleno would be a great choice for you. They provide all the rest that you require.

If maintenance issues and FE was of lower priority, the Palio 1.6 is the rocket that you want to be in, or maybe adventure too.

If you were willing to stretch your budget a bit, you could explore Fiesta with ABS, or perhaps Fusion with ABS. Both are great drives, and provide decent FE as well.

If you are willing to go for a car that is not the quickest, but still great fun to drive, the swift would be the one for you.

Sadly, you cant get all you wont with your limitations - decide where you are ready to compromise, and perhaps then you could evaluate the options.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:23   #23
BHPian

Since you want ABS, there is only one choice yes its the Swift. It will go fast as you want it to be give decent mileage, come in your budget will have ABS. Maruti service back up is quite good. Also the Palio 1.6 is available with ABS and it will beat the Swift in built quality, acceleration, performance, looks, handling, ride, stability, driving pleasure.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Dont take it personally man!
Not taken personally at all mate, just clearing the air . I'm aware the 1.6 has been discontinued and its only the Flair now......on the *** front, well, sorry to hear about the collective bad experiences but I'm sure there are many who've had pleasant experiences as well. Not to mention that many a poor dealership experience has upset many a current & prospective customer and earned a bad name for the model itself.........which may not necessarily make it a bad buy but the dealerships don't realize the damage they do.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:37   #25

Thanx for all your inputs !!

Hi BHPians,
I' am overwhelmed with your reponses.......Thanx a lot guyz..

** I'll give some more thoughts on my first message....

** The reason i didn't include esteem is that, getting in & out of the car is a pain & also it's not so comfy for my height (6 ft)....believe me... i drove my friends esteem for 10 kms & got cramps.... But the engine response was great...

** I' am very much new to car driving (a total of 300 odd kms in my whole life with my friends vehicles)... but i can't help zooming as fast as i can....
I dunno...i've always been a pretty fast driver/rider....So, i need all the safety equipment i could have....

** Baleno is a great vehicle but, try i might, i can't digest the looks...
even after downing a few pegs... ....

** Surprisingly, Fiat palio 1.6 didn't come across to my mind....probably because, investing in a Fiat car in India is a big risk....

Hey guys...throw some more light on the level of service for Fiat cars frm Tata motors....

Is it atleast on par with their own cars ?

Also, I' am not married (not planning to do so for the next 3 yrs)....So that's why i'am not bothered about the boot space etc.,& wan't a car with loads of fun...(within the budget, of course.. )

Eagerly awaiting ur reponses...

byeee..
Senthil
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Overall First place surprisingly goes to Esteem. Its quickest off the line, handles well, gives good Fuel Efficiency and has maruti backup.
Esteem handles well? Well thats something unbelievable. It is supposed that Esteem has the worst handling among sedan cars. It has a flimsly built body. Also its 3rd and 4th gear acceleration figures especially when overtaking, is below the other cars in the segment.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Senthil,
In Hyderabad, the Fiat service is acceptable though not very good. Recently there were many complaints on this site even about service centers of other companies and Hyd Anuroop is better than all of those.

There are atleast 7-8 members from Hyderabad who own Palios and are members on this forum. We are all happy with our cars and service we get. Without ABS too Palio is a safe car. Two years back Fiat was selling ABS as an option and they stopped that later. You can check with the dealer.

If you are planning to visit a Tata dealer for enquiring, i heard Autofin is best for Tata in Hyd.
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Esteem handles well? Well thats something unbelievable. It is supposed that Esteem has the worst handling among sedan cars. It has a flimsly built body. Also its 3rd and 4th gear acceleration figures especially when overtaking, is below the other cars in the segment.
Agreed that Esteem has flimsy build quality. Also agreed that the 3rd and 4th gears speeds are not quick enough. For the rest follow the link.

http://autocarindia.com/new/RoadTestDetails.asp?ID=1033

The Esteem is a nimble car in the city, with light controls and nippy handling

but here it means that Esteem's handling while not good against competition, is good in its own right. serves the purpose.

ad just for information. Maruti Esteem is the big dad of swift. maruti Esteem is a 20 year old swift. LOL

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd August 2006 at 13:20.
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:27   #29

I like Palio 1.6...It's is good

Is Palio 1.6 sports still available ? (With or without ABS)?

Does it really deliver the kick-in-the-pants acceleration ?

Also, I'll be transfered to Chennai within 1 month... & will buy my car in
Chennai..

If there are any BHPians in Chennai who own Fiat cars, Please throw some light on Fiat dealers in chennai & their service ?

I do like the Palio & know that it is a sturdy vehicle .....

bye guys..
senthil
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

5u3zEr0 is a member from Chennai and he owns a Palio GTX.

Palio 1.6 is available now at both Fiat & Tata dealers. Adventure is also available.
Quote:
Does it really deliver the kick-in-the-pants acceleration ?
Test drive and check for your self and let us know what you felt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks