Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2006, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
The top whack that i have managed is 175kmph on the the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
Oops a typo there, its 185kmph!
Old 6th August 2006, 14:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire
hey guys.....took my car to a second hand dealer...nd he quoted just 95k ...so aft goin through all your opnions ...finally went ahead...nd booked an Esteem lxi...the dealer`s also offerin remote locking free with the car....wht more can i ask....I have asked the car to be delivered on 27th...wel the delay`s cause of my mom being particular of gettin the car on Ganesh Chaturthi...so thanks a lot guys...wil keep postin on the updates!!

rgrds,
angelfire
Congrats on the booking but i suggest you consider the Esteem VXI instead. It hardly costs some 30k over the LXi but is well worth it. It comes with much better Door trims, Central Locking, Raer Centre Armrest, Better upholstery, Rear Power Windows, Fog Lamps, Rear Spoiler, Automatic Antenna, Height Adjustable Drivers Seat, Rear Defogger, Body coulured door hanles/OVRM's, Entry level stereo etc. I feel these features are all well worth it over the LXI

It shouldn't be a problem to change the booking over to a VXi with your dealer. Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 6th August 2006 at 14:30.
Old 6th August 2006, 19:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Angelfire,
Well i have been using ESteems since 1997. Soo far we have bought around 5 Esteems since then since we use them in the tourist sector. It includes a 2005 October Esteem Vxi. Then there is a 2006 Jan Esteem Vxi which i use for my self. I feel there is a huge difference in performance between the Carb and MPFI Esteems. Rohitbagai, maybe yours is a one off case. But i have very often redlined my Esteem which is 6.5k rpm and not 6k like you say. The top whack that i have managed is 175kmph on the the Mumbai-Pune expressway.

In my experience, i have redlined the Esteem at 60kph in the 1st gear, 105kph in the 2nd gear, 155kph in the 3rd gear and 185kph in the 4th gear. The 5th gear will never rev anywhere near the redline since its a cruising gear.BTW, in-gear acceleration of the Esteem in 3rd and 4th gears is not upto the mark when you compare it with bigger engined cars and thats it
Hey no offence...but can I drive in city all day long with a speed limit of 50 KM/h in first gear? We can not get decent mileage at those performance levels...right?...if thats correct whats the point buying it if I dont get decent milage(The only plus point for Esteem)? ...Also what percentage of driving time will we cross that red mark? You can well get that performance with any other cars even without crossing that red mark. My concern is with the low end power / torque of the engine. It’s dead in lower ends. Once you cross 2500-3000 rpm mark it starts getting alive. But it comes at the cost of mileage. Also it’s well known that the built quality is of very low standards. At that point of time when anglefire might have bought Esteem 97 it could be the best in it class but Esteem's brand perception has changed a lot. The Euro II version of Esteem had 85 BHPs @ 5600 rpms. In new Euro III (or Bharat Stage III you may call..) its 85 BHPs @6000 RPMs. I am sure it’s enough to state that a compromise has been made. Also driving Esteem at 185 KM/H is a suicide act because its too light to be driven at that speed. Esteem weights same as a Matiz !!!. My Car has crimpy doors and the power windows have started showing signs that they are really doing lot of effort to close window. My Esteem's A/C compressor has been changed twice this summer. I also own Zen 2003 and feel more lively driving it because of good engine response. SO to sum up Esteem from my point of view is:-
Lack of usable power
Bad A/C
Decent FE
Risky for performance at high speeds
Outdated looks
Low Quality Interiors

Thanks! I hope I am not stressing you to change your decision!
Rohit
Old 6th August 2006, 19:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]My 14 month old car has never crossed 3500-4000 even at speed of 130+. Luck![/FONT][/COLOR]
My respomse was purely to your above statement where you say that you have never crossed 3500-4000rpm at speeds of 130+

Last edited by prince85 : 6th August 2006 at 20:06.
Old 6th August 2006, 20:01   #20
BHPian

BTW, you say that the Esteem has little usable power??? Well FYI Esteem is more powerful than the Ikon Flair and the Indigo Petrol which are the only cars in the below 5L segement when it comes to 3 box cars

Last edited by prince85 : 6th August 2006 at 20:08.
Old 6th August 2006, 20:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I also own Zen 2003 and feel more lively driving it because of good engine response. SO to sum up Esteem from my point of view is:-

Thanks! I hope I am not stressing you to change your decision!
Rohit
I am sure yuou have a serious problem with your ESteem if you feel that your Zen is more lively to drive in the City. Thats shocking for me since there are lot of people around including T-Bhpians who put in an Esteem 1.3L unit into the Zen just to make it more quicker and faster both in the city and on the highways.SOo now if you have a problem with your car, i suggest you please don't generalise and degrade a perfectly good car in its own right

I am sorry to learn that you have had many problems with your car with the A/C, mileage and stuff but then i have been using Esteems for 10 years now without half of thos problems you mentioned.

BTW, since you are willing to sell your car. Pm me, i might be interested in case of a distress sale. Not a bad car to earn me 20k in the tourist sector. . I guess i can get the problems you facing rectified with any of the MASS's in Mumbai

Last edited by prince85 : 6th August 2006 at 20:22.
Old 6th August 2006, 20:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]. They still show it has 90 BHPs but look at its RPMs its 6000!!!Best of Luck![/FONT][/COLOR]
When on earth did Maruti claim that the Esteem pumps out 90bhp .
Old 6th August 2006, 20:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Also what percentage of driving time will we cross that red mark? You can well get that performance with any other cars even without crossing that red mark.
Rohit
Name one 3 box car which costs below 5L which can given the same amount of engine preformance as the Esteem?????

BTW, my friend, this thread is not about which car to buy. Its about what we feel about the price which angelfire is getting for his old Esteem??? I suggest we don't lose track of that

BTW, its not crossing the redmark as you say. Its just touching the redline wihout crossing it. You will destroy the engine by crossing the red limiter

Last edited by prince85 : 6th August 2006 at 20:31.
Old 6th August 2006, 20:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure yuou have a serious problem with your ESteem if you feel that your Zen is more lively to drive in the City. Thats shocking for me since there are lot of people around including T-Bhpians who put in an Esteem 1.3L unit into the Zen just to make it more quicker and faster both in the city and on the highways.SOo now if you have a problem with your car, i suggest you please don't generalise and degrade a perfectly good car in its own right
Hey...Zen's gear ratio is much suited for city ride...Esteem has Tall gear ratios. The difference between both is same as the difference felt in RX100 and RX135!! Last Esteem I owned (1995 model) I replaced its gearbox with that of a Zen. I enjoyed it for 2 years and then put back the esteem gear box on it becaus of drop in FE. Please elaborate Esteems performance in the 1500-2500 rpm range. Do you feel the power? At the speed of 100km/h its running at 2400 rpm...where is the power?...This can be a never ending discussion right! The indigo produces same power at 5500 RPMs and with not so tall gear ratio! That means we can get that peak power close to "Usable Range" Yea the actual BHP of Esteem is 85 BHP sorry for that misconception. Maruti is focusing on rural india and soon the brand perception will change. How many times Jagdish Khattar spoken about Esteem,.. Balenos? angelfire Has got great price for old esteem but is going to buy new one. Hope it helps!
Old 6th August 2006, 20:55   #25
BHPian

Also my friend.. Things may look similar on papers while are actually different in performance. You can see the difference in Swift's swiftness and Esteems. Both of them have same Specs on papers. Swift even heavier than Esteem has great engine response
Old 6th August 2006, 22:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
. Please elaborate Esteems performance in the 1500-2500 rpm range. Do you feel the power? At the speed of 100km/h its running at 2400 rpm...where is the power?...This can be a never ending discussion right! Yea the actual BHP of Esteem is 85 BHP sorry for that misconception. Maruti is focusing on rural india and soon the brand perception will change. How many times Jagdish Khattar spoken about Esteem,.. Balenos? angelfire Has got great price for old esteem but is going to buy new one. Hope it helps!
Oh my God! You are amazing my friend. First you say that your Esteem never goes beyond 3.5-4k rpm while doing speeds in the region of 130+kph. Thus you call it a "deadmeat"

If thats the case then i assume that there is a problem in your car. Soo now you start saying that there is no power delivery between 1.5-2k rpm. Now thats real confusing!

We all know that the Esteem does not have a lot of grunt in the initial 1.5-2k rpm but then it isn't bad enough compared to the competetion to call it something like "Deadmeat". It more than makes up with really good midrange and impressive top-end power.

Then you have a problem with your A/C, soo you say its got a bad A/C. Its just your case, don't generalise it.

And this one is funny. FE of the Esteem is supposed to be the best in its segment by a long way. And you say that FE for you in the Esteem is a problem????

And BTW, the Swift uses an improved version of the Esteem engine which pumps out 87bhp compared with 85bhp of the Esteem. i know its a negligible difference but its an improved, slightly more drivable engine in the low revs compared to the Esteem but it isn't quicker. The Esteem is faster in a sprint from 0-100kph.

I hope i have answered all your questions by now. I feel really sorry for you. Anyways, as i said earlier, do let me know if you wish to sell your Esteem. i am always ready for a good deal since your car is not that old!

Anyways, dost i am out of this. Take care

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 6th August 2006 at 22:47.
Old 7th August 2006, 00:06   #27
BHPian

Hey bro

I urge and plead u to sell of your car. The price is like a royal deal. Man i had 97 esteem with 5 new michellin , mp3 deck, done 65k on odo with ac work done and silicon done, great paint and had to sell off for 85k in dealer market. similarly my friend sold of 98 esteem for 90k please sell ur car as i doubt u would get a better offer.plus the disc on new car is too good
Old 7th August 2006, 03:28   #28
BHPian

Hello angelfire,
Have you test driven New Esteem? Please do so before you buy.Thanks
Rohit
Old 7th August 2006, 09:02   #29
BHPian

Wel guys...... took a test drive of the new Esteem yest....nd it was great!!...there`s a big diff in power when compared to a Stock crab esteem....As prince85 said....initially...until1.5k t0 2k rpm...the response is kinda slow...but aft that... the car sure FLIES.....Rohit..the Esteem is quite powerful buddy!!!...i dont see why you are not gettin the output from your car...i do own a zen too.....its great for city driving...i agree with that..nd i did check out the vxi too...Dad`s decision still pendin on that.....
anyways..thanks a lot all you guys...all your opinions did help me a lot!!
rgrds,
angelfire
Old 7th August 2006, 09:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire
Wel guys...... took a test drive of the new Esteem yest....nd it was great!!...there`s a big diff in power when compared to a Stock crab esteem....As prince85 said....initially...until1.5k t0 2k rpm...the response is kinda slow...but aft that... the car sure FLIES.....Rohit..the Esteem is quite powerful buddy!!!...i dont see why you are not gettin the output from your car...i do own a zen too.....its great for city driving...i agree with that..nd i did check out the vxi too...Dad`s decision still pendin on that.....
anyways..thanks a lot all you guys...all your opinions did help me a lot!!
rgrds,
angelfire
Somehow make your dad switch over to the VXI. IMHO, It sure is better value than the LXI. Do let us know about the progress. BTW, which shade of colour have you deceided on????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks