Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2006, 13:54   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapan
Hi,

This is not correct. I still say its wrong...if it has a computer outlet then put that in and then take it to the speed you took 3 cars to and then get the exact thing and let us know.

You yourself saying that Maruti says it can go 165 kmph and you took it to 185 ? Did company missed something ?!! Why would a company say that it cannot go beyond 165 when you have taken to 185. The company does so much testing and to get top speed dunno how many tests they have done. The meter you're showing in image is near 165 and is not 170 at all.

I don't agree with you. Delaer and both Maruti's Dealer and Regional Office people have confirmed it.

Thanks.
I said it very clearly that speedo indicated speed and true speed is always different in every car. I even gave you the example of the Ikon 1.6 in my earlier post. BTW, if you look carefully Turbo_C's car is beyond 165 and between 170kph mark soo you can say its 168kmph which is higher than what Maruti claims and add to it that car is running on much fatter rubber 185-70-R13's which makes it even more difficult for a car to gather high speed compared with the stock size of 175-70-R13's.

Maruti has not missed anything. i agree the true speed if tested with speed testing equipment maybe 165kmph but then i am talking about speedo indicated speeds which do go upto 185kmph max just the way an Ikon 1.6 reaches 190kmph when the top speed mentioned by Ford is 174kmph. Its nothin to do with speedo problems. There is a certain amount of speedo error in all cars which is totally normal.

BTW, you say that your corsa has a company claimed true top speed of 162kmph but you managed to so 155kmph on the speedo of your car.Then let me tell you that you must have been doing 145kmph or soo when your speedo indicated 155kmph. Again thats totally normal.

If you still disagree then may i ask you to Get hold of an Mpfi Esteem, take it on an empty piece of road and check for yourself rather than listening to some guy who is a dealer and if he says that the car does no better than 120-130kph then i guess he doesn't know what he is talking about There is nothing more that i can do for you. Take care.

Last edited by prince85 : 7th August 2006 at 14:04.
Old 7th August 2006, 14:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire
These are the new dealers in Mangalore called Bharath cars...well had checked the price outside...they were offerin me 90K....
no, no , no ...i said check the price of the new car, not the old car, check with other maruthi dealers for the on road price of ur new car & the freebies offered along with it. also check for the year & month of manufacture.
Old 7th August 2006, 14:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
The difference between an Esteem LXI and VXI is 30k .
If am not wrong then LX and VX had a ex-showroom price difference of 70k. Today LX and LXi have difference of 35k and LX and VXi of 70k. Add extra insurance and registration charges to it.

Quote:
I agree True Value guys normally quote very less for our cars wheb we sell them but they charge a lot more than normal when they resell it to other potential second hand car buyers
Where there is a funda of profit, consumer will be fooled. If Maruti would be doing it for information only, they could evaluate a car well but since they intend to buy your car, they are no other than a used car dealer.
Old 7th August 2006, 14:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapan
Dude are you sure about this ? 175 kmph in esteem...?????????? There must be some major odo issue in your car. According to Joshi AutoMobiles - Chandigarh's Maruti Dealer, they say that it cannot go beyond 140-150 that also if the road condition is too good they say. OIn normal road condition they say it cannot go beyond 120-130 as it might get too dangerous.

Quote:
Corsa's top speed claimed by company is 162 kmph. I never got it up more than 155 kmph.
Skoda's 1.9 TDI top speed is 182 kmph and never got it up more than 180 kmph. Corsa is much heavier than esteem and still you managed to get it to 185 that needs to get in record books. No offence, but i think you need to get your ODO fixed and re-check it.

Thanks.
thats probably why esteem is still around & corsa is not...unjustifiable claims...maruthi is very much humble in its claims....yes, i can vouch for a speed of 165 (Speedo read) in my 2000 carb esteem on stock (V.bad) tyres. Also the fools working in maruthi dealers dont know nothing about their vehicles. if u want any reliable, clear info, contact maruthi thru their web page.

cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 7th August 2006 at 14:21.
Old 7th August 2006, 14:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
If am not wrong then LX and VX had a ex-showroom price difference of 70k. Today LX and LXi have difference of 35k and LX and VXi of 70k. Add extra insurance and registration charges to it.
You are right on those prices my friend. But does it make sense to buy an LX anymore which does not even include Power Steering at a bare minimum. Agree there is a difference of around 30-35k between the LX and the LXi and another 30-35k between the Lxi and the Vxi. But the extra features that come in the higher models are well worth the price IMHO. In the end if one sells an LXi after say 4 years, then it will fetch me atleast 20k approx. lesser than a similarly used Vxi. I agree that one has to shell out certain sum of money to buy a VXI in place of an LX, but then other than resale, there is also the luxury one can enjoy in a higher specced model like Power Steering, Power Windows etc which IMHO is woth it.

But my friend why are we talking about resale of the car when our dear friend angelfire is just buying it. Resale is not even his concern if you go by his posts. He is buying a new car, soo lets help him buy a model that will suit him best for his kinda usage instead.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 7th August 2006 at 14:41.
Old 7th August 2006, 14:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right on those prices my friend. But does it make sense to buy an LX anymore which does not even include Power Steering at a bare minimum. Agree there is a difference of around 30-35k between the LX and the LXi and another 30-35k between the Lxi and the Vxi. But the extra features that come in the higher models are well worth the price IMHO. In the end if one sells an LXi after say 4 years, then it will fetch me atleast 20k approx. lesser than a similarly used Vxi. I agree that one has to shell out certain sum of money to buy a VXI in place of an LX, but then other than resale, there is also the luxury one can enjoy in a higher specced model like Power Steering, Power Windows etc which IMHO is woth it.

But my friend why are we talking about resale of the car when our dear friend angelfire is just buying it. Resale is not even his concern if you go by his posts. He is buying a new car, soo lets help him buy a model that will suit him best for his kinda usage instead.

Cheers
hey dude,
let the guy decide within his budget....agreed vxi is far more attractive..no one would deny that...it is his personal choice which one he wants...right ??? and if anybody is thinking of resale value when he is buying a car, he wouldn't really make a good choice, will he ??? that should only be a small consideration, not the deciding vote...lol
Old 7th August 2006, 14:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I said it very clearly that speedo indicated speed and true speed is always different in every car. I even gave you the example of the Ikon 1.6 in my earlier post.
I find 190 kmph on a stock Ikon a little hard to digest...........
Quote:
There is nothing more that i can do for you. Take care.
Of course you can! Silence the sceptics once & for all, take a snap or have someone take a snap of your speedo (any one of the three super Esteems will do) and post it on Team BHP. That'll shut everyone up LOL

Last edited by suman : 7th August 2006 at 14:57.
Old 7th August 2006, 15:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
I find 190 kmph on a stock Ikon a little hard to digest...........

Of course you can! Silence the sceptics once & for all, take a snap or have someone take a snap of your speedo (any one of the three super Esteems will do) and post it on Team BHP. That'll shut everyone up LOL
Suman since you yourself own an Ikon. whats the top whack that you have managed in your Ikon 1.6 Speedo???? considering the top speed mentioned by Ford is 174kmph.

Yea, you are right, i will surely take a snap the next time i deceide to floor my car on an empty piece of road . Thanks for the idea anyways.

Cheers
Old 7th August 2006, 15:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
hey dude,
let the guy decide within his budget....agreed vxi is far more attractive..no one would deny that...it is his personal choice which one he wants...right ??? and if anybody is thinking of resale value when he is buying a car, he wouldn't really make a good choice, will he ??? that should only be a small consideration, not the deciding vote...lol
My friend i am just trying to show the benits of the Vxi to our friend Angelfire since i thought he might be facing the same dilema that i faced when i bought my car. BTW, you are bang on target about the resale part

Cheers
Old 7th August 2006, 15:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suman since you yourself own an Ikon. whats the top whack that you have managed in your Ikon 1.6 Speedo????
Max I've done was 160 on NH1 between Chandigarh & Delhi, managed to hold that for perhaps a couple of kms before I ran into traffic......car could have gone higher but I didn't take a risk with kids in the car. But 190.....dunno! Have you experienced this yourself or heard about it from someone?

Last edited by suman : 7th August 2006 at 15:14.
Old 7th August 2006, 15:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Max I've done was 160 on NH1 between Chandigarh & Delhi, managed to hold that for perhaps a couple of kms before I ran into traffic......car could have gone higher but I didn't take a risk with kids in the car. But 190.....dunno! Have you experienced this yourself or heard about it from someone?
I have heard this from one of my friend.

Though I have myslef seen it touching 180kph though on the Mumbai Pune expressway when pushed to the limit. We were 4 in the car and it was my uncle's 2001 Ikon 1.6 ZXi. I managed to tip 180kph(speedo).

But then on another trip on the same expressway one of my friends who owns an Ikon Sxi claims to have touched 190kph and even has a snap of it on his cell-phone just coz we wouln'd believe it if he said soo . He was the only one during this stint. This was about a year back. I'll try to get the snap from him if possible and post it up here. Thanks anyways

PS-BTW, guys i aplogise for dragging the Ikon 1.6 into this thread and going off-topic. It was just mentioned by me to prove a point regarding speedo indicated speeds and true speeds mentioned by the car manufacturer.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 7th August 2006 at 15:34.
Old 7th August 2006, 15:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, if you look carefully Turbo_C's car is beyond 165 and between 170kph mark soo you can say its 168kmph which is higher than what Maruti claims and add to it that car is running on much fatter rubber 185-70-R13's which makes it even more difficult for a car to gather high speed compared with the stock size of 175-70-R13's.
With turbo_C upsized tyre setup the speedo is under reading, the actual speed should be some 2.43% more that is 172kph(approx)

I really doubt the top speeds claimed by maruti....I've seen many stock mpfi zen doing 160kph (see my avatar) but maruti only claims the top speed to be around 145kph....

Also the top whack of esteem mpfi is above 170kph i've done it n next time i do it will take a pic n post it.....

Till then peace

KP
Old 7th August 2006, 15:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
With turbo_C upsized tyre setup the speedo is under reading, the actual speed should be some 2.43% more that is 172kph(approx)

I really doubt the top speeds claimed by maruti....I've seen many stock mpfi zen doing 160kph (see my avatar) but maruti only claims the top speed to be around 145kph....

Also the top whack of esteem mpfi is above 170kph i've done it n next time i do it will take a pic n post it.....

Till then peace

KP

Thanks for that piece of information amigo.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 7th August 2006 at 15:30.
Old 7th August 2006, 16:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
no, no , no ...i said check the price of the new car, not the old car, check with other maruthi dealers for the on road price of ur new car & the freebies offered along with it. also check for the year & month of manufacture.
Oh Oops...sorry....Will check that.....by the way out hre in mangalore...there are only two maruti dealers...One of the dealers,,mandovi motors have been here since many years..atleast 15 yrs...nd the other dealer Bharath cars opened few months back..nd they have a lot of comptn on as Mandovi has been dominatin the market out here for many years...so dont think there wil be any better offer out there..or any difference in pricin....But to be safer side..i wil go nd check that place too...Wel the reason i dint go there to sell my old car was the price they gave me for my old car was really less.....around 1lac...but that was 6 months back....anyways wil check on that...
Old 7th August 2006, 22:32   #60
BHPian

price of esteem

about an year back my friend bought a 1999 esteem for 1.5L
hope that helps.

Most Viewed