Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 23:24   #46

Re: In search of a new car. EDIT: 6-12 lakh budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
We just came back from a 1200 kms road trip - 600 kms one way. Neither me as driver nor my family members experienced fatigue due to seating.
Thanks for the feedback! I am going to take another long TD as we may finalize on this one.

Altis diesel is too pricey for what it offers and I didn't find the interiors worthy for a 19Lakh+ car. Even the top end diesel doesn't have fog lamps!!
Old 20th April 2016, 08:41   #47
BHPian

You know what, you can do a better thing. Rent out an etios taxi and come down to Pune for the S Cross TD. That will put your doubts to rest. You can even do a back to back TD of etios as DSK showroom is on the highway.
Old 20th April 2016, 15:05   #48
BHPian

Considering you are willing to keep the car for 3 lac km, I would recommend to go for Toyota Corolla Altis. Yes, as you mentioned, its more expensive, but what it provides is a very fuss free ownership. I know people owning Corollas which are over 10 years old and still running smoothly.

My next choice will be either Maruti Ciaz or S-Cross or Ertiga. here your choice should vary depending on whats more important to you. Boot space or ground clearance or number of people it can carry. All the three are excellent car, specially for the money. S-Cross has better quality in my opinion though.

Beyond this, you can also look at Honda City and soon to be launched BR-V.

I would not recommend any other car outside the top 3, as these are the ones who have most frequently been successful running for such long times.

Last edited by autorahul : 20th April 2016 at 15:17. Reason: Changed phrasing
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Honda BR-V looks like a capable vehicle. Being a 7 seater, if priced correctly, I would seriously consider this one.

Meanwhile, I am juggling between thoughts of Maruti S-Cross, Maruti Ciaz, Honda BR-V, Honda Amaze CNG, Maruti Baleno, Maruti Brezza!
Old 6th May 2016, 20:57   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Honda BR-V looks like a capable vehicle. Being a 7 seater, if priced correctly, I would seriously consider this one.

Meanwhile, I am juggling between thoughts of Maruti S-Cross, Maruti Ciaz, Honda BR-V, Honda Amaze CNG, Maruti Baleno, Maruti Brezza!
BV my friend,

Between all of those listed above, I would recommend the S-Cross 1.6. With it's revised prices, it's a superbly VFM deal right now and is a scorcher compared to the rest.

If a diesel purchase makes you apprehensive, I would recommend the Baleno in the petrol lineup. Neither of the Nexa cars disappoint on the performance front, and both are equally adept at the fuel economy frugality and the cost of ownership aspects too.

Haven't checked the BR-V out yet so it would not be fair for me to call, but recent reports of TDs by fellow BHPians in the BR-V thread are not so encouraging so far.
Old 6th May 2016, 21:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
BV my friend,

Between all of those listed above, I would recommend the S-Cross 1.6. With it's revised prices, it's a superbly VFM deal right now and is a scorcher compared to the rest.

If a diesel purchase makes you apprehensive, I would recommend the Baleno in the petrol lineup. Neither of the Nexa cars disappoint on the performance front, and both are equally adept at the fuel economy frugality and the cost of ownership aspects too.

Haven't checked the BR-V out yet so it would not be fair for me to call, but recent reports of TDs by fellow BHPians in the BR-V thread are not so encouraging so far.
Hi Avinash Sir,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I never thought that deciding on a car would be so difficult. The main problem is to replace the existing one. Adding another one to the existing fleet is not a big problem.

We didn't give much thought when we bought home our WagonR & City.

I recently test drove Ciaz, Brezza. Ruled out Brezza due to long 6 month waiting period. Ruled out Ciaz, because though, it is exempted from Delhi's odd-even rule, the idea of having two sedans in the garage is not really exciting for a crowded place like Delhi where parking space is a real luxury.

Also considered Duster/S-Cross but...

My father rightly advises replacing a hatchback with a hatchback & a sedan with a sedan (or a car of similar size, say an urban SUV).

As of now still holding on WagonR for coming time. Planning to retain it until something really excites. Maybe the next gen Swift or i10/all new WagonR, by next year.

Let's see how things unfold. Didn't knew this will turn out into a dilemma thread! But surely only a deserving car will join the family.

Meanwhile, I am saving every single possible penny for the 2018 next gen Honda City
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 08:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now still holding on WagonR for coming time. Planning to retain it until something really excites. Maybe the next gen Swift or i10/all new WagonR, by next year.
Just wait for the Baleno 1.0 boosterjet. That's coming, but god knows when.
It'll be a terrific vehicle to replace your old WagonR.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 10:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
There are a slew of launches in the coming 12 months. Next gen Swift, Wagon R, Celerio, Ignis, Baleno RS, Brezza Petrol etc so you will have a lot more to choose from soon.

If you are ready to wait anyway, why not book a Brezza or a Baleno, if they excite you. Yes the waiting period is long but you are anyways not buying anything immediately. In the next 6 months, the festive season will be upon us and you will know better, whether you want to keep the booking or cancel it. You may even be able to shift booking to their 1.0 l boosterjet versions quickly once the dealers have the info.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 14:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha C.H. View Post
Hello everyone. I am newbie & cannot start a new thread hence asking my query here.
Here is my situation :
Our previous cars were Tata Estate, Tata Safari & Indica. So ownership experiences were not fuss free at all!

But this incident has shaken my faith in Volkswagen brand. Now I am looking for a car which will give me a fuss free ownership for 3Lac kms.
I think mechanical failure can happen to any car even Toyotas. VW cars cost more to maintain but it's a small price to pay for better built quality and safety.

VW though not economical is not at all unreliable. If well maintained and driven well I think the VW engine should last for 3 Lakhs or more.

Since you used a TATA ESTATE I might add that I also used the same and despite being labelled a dodo it lasted well over 1 lakh Km and was used for over a decade. Remember that the ESTATE had a primitive,unrefined truck engine and pulled a weight of nearly 2 tonnes despite that the odo reached 1 lakh without engine work.

If the ESTATE can last that long then Polo should be able to cross three lakhs without big issues.

Replacing a Polo with an ETIOS based on the notion that VW cars are untrustworthy is not really useful as they belong in the same segment and the reliability margin between them is wafer thin.

If you desire a car from a higher segment then it makes sense to consider cars like corolla.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Looking at your need to keep the car for 3L kms, I think Toyota, followed by Maruti are the best options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha C.H. View Post
I really want a Toyota but etios is just not clicking yet.
Don't force yourself to buy the Etios if your heart isn't agreeing to it. I think your mind is just screaming "Toyota-Reliability, Practicality and Low Maintenance"

Do look the the Ciaz and the S-Cross. Both these cars should last the distance.

Buy the S-Cross 1.6 if you need a powerful engine. Or buy the S-Cross 1.6 after test driving it.

You could also look at Honda City and Renault Duster.
Old 10th May 2016, 23:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Looking at your need to keep the car for 3L kms, I think Toyota, followed by Maruti are the best options.

Don't force yourself to buy the Etios if your heart isn't agreeing to it. I think your mind is just screaming "Toyota-Reliability, Practicality and Low Maintenance"

Do look the the Ciaz and the S-Cross. Both these cars should last the distance.

Buy the S-Cross 1.6 if you need a powerful engine. Or buy the S-Cross 1.6 after test driving it.

You could also look at Honda City and Renault Duster.
I can vouch for this.
I took a test drive along with a friend of the 1.6 and almost traded in my car for one

Only the fear of god almighty at home and one-or-two brain cells, that were still functioning, stopped me from getting one home.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:42   #57

Thank you guyes for your replies. Not finalized anything yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
I think mechanical failure can happen to any car even Toyotas. VW cars cost more to maintain but it's a small price to pay for better built quality and safety.

VW though not economical is not at all unreliable. If well maintained and driven well I think the VW engine should last for 3 Lakhs or more.

Since you used a TATA ESTATE I might add that I also used the same and despite being labelled a dodo it lasted well over 1 lakh Km and was used for over a decade. Remember that the ESTATE had a primitive,unrefined truck engine and pulled a weight of nearly 2 tonnes despite that the odo reached 1 lakh without engine work.

If the ESTATE can last that long then Polo should be able to cross three lakhs without big issues.

Replacing a Polo with an ETIOS based on the notion that VW cars are untrustworthy is not really useful as they belong in the same segment and the reliability margin between them is wafer thin.

If you desire a car from a higher segment then it makes sense to consider cars like corolla.
Well here is a thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...10-2012-a.html

It's the same problem occurred to my Polo. I found only one Polo on this forum (not a member) crossed 1.5L mark. He had also faced a major problem and had to done a major engine job. Also he was sure that resale value of his car after 2L km will be very very poor. Sorry that I couldn't find the link. Even I was quoted only 3L & 3.5L respectively by TATA & Honda. Only Toyota quoted 4.8L.

Regarding TATA Estate; ours was a very sour experience. Ours was a very first batch car.Second in our city. It had faced many major engine problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Precisely YES. We have a higher running and now I need a car with peace of mind. I couldn't find time in work schedule to TD S-cross but definitely check it. From ownership reviews, Ciaz maintenance costs are not cheap. It's north of 8K.
Old 15th May 2016, 14:02   #58
BHPian

There were murmurs of Toyota launching Vios in India by end of the year. Wonder whatever happened to that?

You have to see the taxi segment to see which engine is being relied on the most, as they are very cost sensitive and have high runnings. Seeing the mood in Bangalore and Delhi, I think its either Maruti diesel engine(1.3 sourced from Fiat) or Renault diesel or Toyota diesel. However few have reported inconsistencies in Renault services, and you aren't favoring Etios much, so Maruti diesel should be on top of your list.

Among the current list S-Cross and Ciaz should be ones you should look at. In long term, they would be among the cheapest to maintain.
Old 15th May 2016, 18:53   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
There were murmurs of Toyota launching Vios in India by end of the year. Wonder whatever happened to that?
Here is a link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3647379

Even if it's launched the price will be in the City bracket and not close to current Etios.
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:13   #60

Hi All. I hope it is okay to request for suggestion on my requirement in this thread.

Looking for a new car for city commute. Annual Commute will be around 8K.
Budget - 8 to 11 Lakh.

Background:
Have driven Santro (Petrol), Accent (Petrol) in past and currently driving a Swift VDI. Will keep the Swift. Need a second car for my daily use.

Requirement / Priorities:
1) New Car - Last 3 were used. So, looking for a new this time.

2) Cabin Space - For my physique, need to choose one where it is easy to get in and out of the car. Liking the Swift for this reason. Steering and Driver Seat Height Adjustable is a must. Would carry only myself mostly (home - office - home). But need to have descent space in the back for the family of 5 for occasional use.

3) Parts and Service / Reliability - Looking at likes of Maruti and Honda for this reason. However, not limiting my options to these.

4) Petrol / Diesel - Based on my running, considering Petrol. But not rigid.

5) Type - Confused. Was looking at C-SUV (Creta/Duster/EcoSport/Brezza). Also looked at Sedan (City). And thinking of Hatch (i20, Punto, Baleno, Jazz) also. Not to forget S Cross and i20 Active.

TD So Far:
Creta (Petrol) - Liked the car. Overpriced and FE is low. So, considering.
Duster - Headroom not that great. Not considering.
EcoSport (1.0) - Seems VFM. Just a little worried about the cabin space.
Brezza - Did not like the interior quality. Felt a little low on power.
City - Great. Not sure between CVT or MT. And not sure if I need a Sedan for mostly self-drive in city. Or should go for Hatch instead.

Others Considered:
i20 - Have not TD. But skeptical about headroom.
Punto - Have not TD yet.
Baleno - Looked at a friend's car. Space seems fine.
Jazz - Space does not seem an issue.

I know this is very vague, but that’s my state of mind. Need to finalize something soon. And I guess, the experts here will help me focus. Please share your suggestions.
KAMALJHA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks