Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 21:29   #91
BHPian

re: Upgrade Confusion - Compact sedan to Hatch vs Sedan vs CUV, under 10 lakhs

There's a whole lot of options in the 10 lakh range, and your confusion is completely justified.

If you need space for 5, the Ecosport might not be the best choice as it is not all that roomy even for 4 thanks to its narrow cabin. It delivers well on all other counts though. The Brezza has a wider cabin, but I don't think the difference is substantial. For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend the Aspire.

I feel you should limit your choices to the Ciaz, i20 and Jazz. Take a test drive with each of them and decide. The Ciaz is the best option IMO. If you are keen on a hatchback, the Jazz or i20 would be your best bet.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 22:37   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Let me bring that wild card in now, since all have had the patience to read my post thus far. The Tata Safari. 2.2, not the Storme since the Storme would bust the budget. You should be able to haggle and get it for under 10 lakhs. It would keep you in the Tata family and would get jaws to drop when friends/relatives/colleagues/acquaintances/neighbours see it in your drive-way
This is absolutely crazy. I like it!!! I've already called up the friendly, eager and hungry neighbourhood Tata dealer, Trivandrum Motors, who has promised to call me tomorrow (sunday) with the prices and discounts (of course there are discounts, it's Tata!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
There's a whole lot of options in the 10 lakh range, and your confusion is completely justified.

If you need space for 5, the Ecosport might not be the best choice as it is not all that roomy even for 4 thanks to its narrow cabin. It delivers well on all other counts though. The Brezza has a wider cabin, but I don't think the difference is substantial. For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend the Aspire.
Looking at how this requirement for "space for 5" seems to write off a lot of the contestants, I think I'm going to go a bit light on this issue. In the Ecosport, there wasn't even enough space for 3 people to sit close together. But the Baleno and the Brezza can accomodate 3 without discomfort if not in luxury, and this is the case with a lot of the cars on my list. It's just that I -found the Ecosport and the Aspire to be especially cozy even for 2+2 people. I am a short, heavy person, and it felt like I was brushing my arms or shoulder against something or someone no matter which way I turned in these cars.
Old 26th June 2016, 01:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Ford Figo or Ecosport or Aspire with 1.5 TDCI. Pick one of them based on your requirements for space and ergos, the diesel motor in these is large enough to feel relaxed and the small turbo provides little to no lag making power and torque delivery a fairly linear process. Ford service has come miles ahead in more recent times too. If they still sell the Fiesta, I'd say go for that eyes closed since it is just brilliant to drive and you might get huge discounts on it.

If Ford still seems like a bit of a gamble, or you want something bigger, the S-Cross is your best bet. Brezza is simply a joke in comparison to the S-Cross in terms of quality, ride, composure, and build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
This is absolutely crazy. I like it!!! I've already called up the friendly, eager and hungry neighbourhood Tata dealer, Trivandrum Motors, who has promised to call me tomorrow (sunday) with the prices and discounts (of course there are discounts, it's Tata!!.
Have you driven a Safari mate? The thing rolls, pitches and wallows like crazy and cabin quality is pathetic especially in the old one. I felt nervous driving it, and not very pleased riding shotgun either cause of the poor plastic quality and fit and finish with things in the cabin feeling like I can break or pull them out (This was a new car mind you with plastic sheets still on its seats). If all that doesn't put you off, and you see the charm of a Safari which I have to say I don't but must admit it exists considering there are so many fans of the car, then you can go for it. It definitely is a lot of metal for the money and ride quality is pretty comfy I must say.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 09:15   #94
BHPian

Re: Upgrade Confusion - Compact sedan to Hatch vs Sedan vs CUV, under 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would suggest the Ford Figo or Ecosport or Aspire with 1.5 TDCI..If they still sell the Fiesta, I'd say go for that eyes closed since it is just brilliant to drive and you might get huge discounts on it.
The Fiesta was an option, but I don't think any dealer has them in stock anymore. I'll have to ask around.

Quote:
Brezza is simply a joke in comparison to the S-Cross in terms of quality, ride, composure, and build.
This is my primary concern. Since it's an all-new vehicle developed exclusively for India, there's every chance that it might turn out to have unexpected issues that might screw it up in the future. It doesn't seem likely, since it's Maruti and because it uses a proven motor, but you never know. The first gen swift had a terrible rattle issue especially on the diesel. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the NVH levels on the Brezza, or the ride quality at low speeds. But, it just looks so damn good in comparison to almost everything else in the segment, IMO.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested so far that I should just go ahead and wait for the Brezza ZDi, even though it is quite popular.

Quote:
Have you driven a Safari mate? The thing rolls, pitches and wallows like crazy and cabin quality is pathetic especially in the old one.
No, I haven't driven a Safari much. I had a small TD, but it was years ago, when I took the Indigo. As I recall, the ride quality was superb at whatever speed, other vehicles made way, and the power was awesome. I didn't get a chance to explore the handling or the dynamics much. However, It's just such a novel idea that it begs to be at least given a consideration. Like you said, there are so many fans for the Safari, and I know some personally who would never consider anything else, despite having the money to upgrade.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 12:27   #95
BHPian

Quote:
No, I haven't driven a Safari much. I had a small TD, but it was years ago, when I took the Indigo. As I recall, the ride quality was superb at whatever speed, other vehicles made way, and the power was awesome. I didn't get a chance to explore the handling or the dynamics much. However, It's just such a novel idea that it begs to be at least given a consideration. Like you said, there are so many fans for the Safari, and I know some personally who would never consider anything else, despite having the money to upgrade.
I have been driving Safaris for a little over 11 years and I wouldn't trade my car for anything else. I have traveled all over half of India in these years and believe me - there is no car in its price range to give you the comfort, safety and cavernous space it can offer. You can move half your home in it.

Road Presence
: Private buses in Kerala road give wide berth to my truck every time. It can wade through knee deep water in torrential rains like USS Dwight D. Eisenhower( to quote a Safari owner from Bombay). I drove through 3 feet of water in the recent Madras floods.

You can cruise all day long at triple digits with your family and still emerge at the end of the journey as if you went for a picnic in the neighborhood.

It makes short work of any mountain, any distance, any road with 140 horses under the hood.
Prowler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 13:12   #96
BHPian

Iam also in a similar situation as that of yours. Plan to upgrade from 2010 Swift Vdi. Except for the rattles, she rides the same as she did the first day. My budget is 8.5l ex showroom.
As I have knee pain due to frequent gear changes in the Kerala roads, I am mainly looking for an automatic or a car with light clutch. I need a TC diesel, though my monthly running will not exceed 1.2 K KMs. I don't need a boat also. The main contenders are ZestXTA and Aspire. The Concorde,Kochi offered 3.75l for my Swift. I went for TD of Aspire, and felt that the clutch was slightly on the heavier side. Planning to do TD with another showroom also before finalised my ride.
Old 26th June 2016, 13:26   #97
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I would break this up into 2 sets of contenders:
Set #1:
Ertiga, S-Cross 1.3, Ciaz and Aspire are good fits for your needs but probably Ciaz and Aspire are the only ones that are realistic given your budget is 10Lakh Rupees OTR.

Set #2:
Brezza and Ecopsort - both quite close in terms of what they offer
Old 26th June 2016, 15:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have been driving Safaris for a little over 11 years and I wouldn't trade my car for anything else.
Believe me, I you're not the first or even the tenth Safari owner to say exactly that to me. I believe it's the same with Punto/Linea owners as well. It is very enticing.

The Safari Dicor is now available only in the LX and EX variants, neither comes with ABS or airbags. The OTR price for the LX version is 11.15 lacs, and there's a cash discount of 14K and exchange bonus of 50K, which brings the price down to 10.51 lacs. This is with NIL safety features, no ICE, rear defogger, keyless entry or immobiliser plus there will also be an additional 1% cess for vehicles over 10L. So, not gonna consider that anymore. It just doesn't seem to be good value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Iam also in a similar situation as that of yours. Plan to upgrade from 2010 Swift Vdi. Except for the rattles, she rides the same as she did the first day. My budget is 8.5l ex showroom.
As I have knee pain due to frequent gear changes in the Kerala roads, I am mainly looking for an automatic or a car with light clutch.
Is the budget inclusive of exchange? I'm assuming it isn't because you mentioned the Zest XTA which is about 10L. In that price range, you could also consider the Dzire AMT, which would keep you in the familiar Maruti stable. It's supposedly a much better AMT than the Zest and comes with the creep function and 4th gen AMT. If you don't require diesel, there are a lot of great options in this range, including the Baleno CVT and Jazz CVT, both of which supposedly have great FE and are smoother than AMTs.
Old 26th June 2016, 16:21   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
As I have knee pain due to frequent gear changes in the Kerala roads, I am mainly looking for an automatic or a car with light clutch.
You should also check out the Dzire AMT, amongst the better automatic option under 10 lakhs. Aspire Automatic is petrol only, from what I remember.

If you are fine with petrol, there are many good options like Baleno CVT, Jazz CVT, Ciaz AT and Aspire.
Old 26th June 2016, 17:19   #100
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Set #2:
Brezza and Ecopsort - both quite close in terms of what they offer
Consider the Jazz as well in set #2
*Forgot to add this earlier
Old 26th June 2016, 20:23   #101
BHPian

A really interesting thread.

Out of the list of cars you have provided I would definitely go for either the Zest or the Aspire.

Personally I always believe in buying the top most specification of a car. Within the budget you have specified you car easily buy the Topmost models of both the Zest and the Aspire.

The pros of the Zest are-
  • Solid build. Also Tata has hugely improved on quality.
    Great high speed stability
    Refined and smooth MJD 1.3 at 90PS
    Great Harman Infotainment system. Sound is phenomenal.

But with Tata the T.A.S.S. is a hit or a miss.

Pros of the Aspire-
  • Best looking CS in my opinion
    Beast of a motor. 100PS!!!!
    Neutral handling.
    SAFETY!!! 6-AIRBAGS
    Leather seats in titanium+

But I think that Aspire is simply not a VFM option but I still shortlisted it because it fits in your budget.

Cheers!!!
Old 26th June 2016, 22:29   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I would break this up into 2 sets of contenders:
Set #1:
Ertiga, S-Cross 1.3, Ciaz and Aspire are good fits for your needs but probably Ciaz and Aspire are the only ones that are realistic given your budget is 10Lakh Rupees OTR.
I've actually booked the Ecosport because my mum was gushing over it when the salespersons were here for a test drive. She still asks me why am I still looking for other cars. Personally, I think that the Brezza looks a lot better and is much better equipped for the same price. The Ecosport Trend+ is priced the same as the Brezza ZDi, but lacks projector headlamps, alloy wheels, parking sensors and DRLs. It's also a bit cramped inside, at the rear.

The S-Cross Delta actually comes to 10.15 lacs after all discounts. If only they offered the SVHS like in the Ertiga and the Ciaz, it would be still cheaper. I suspect they will offer it soon, as it is a 4m+ car and will provide substantial tax savings.

The Ciaz VDI(O) and the Ertiga VDI both come under 10 lacs OTR. With the discounts, I might even be able to fit in the VDI+ at that range.

The Jazz VX diesel comes just over 10 lacs, and is a fantastic option, that I'm yet to TD. I have sat in it at the showroom, and my dad loved the interiors. But is it really premium enough to justify the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19
Out of the list of cars you have provided I would definitely go for either the Zest or the Aspire.
I was wondering why no one recommended the Zest yet. It is a great car, and would be a bit cheaper than the rest of them as well, with the discounts on offer now. My family likes the Zest, but personally, it doesn't feel like an upgrade when you move from one CS to another, even though they are on totally different levels in every aspect. I need to take a TD of the Aspire.
Old 26th June 2016, 22:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Jazz. It's a wonderfully packaged car. It has all the space you need and got a (noisy but) terrific engine. It's fuel efficient too.

The Baleno is also an equally good option. If you seat 5 in the Baleno, the rear end sags. This might affect GC and the ability to tackle some humps/undulations.

The S-Cross is the best option I think, although the 1.3 for this car is adequate and not powerful.

The Ecosport is not the widest car in the segment.

Didn't Ertiga fit in your budget?
Old 26th June 2016, 22:38   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Believe me, I you're not the first or even the tenth Safari owner to say exactly that to me. I believe it's the same with Punto/Linea owners as well. It is very enticing.

The Safari Dicor is now available only in the LX and EX variants, neither comes with ABS or airbags. The OTR price for the LX version is 11.15 lacs, and there's a cash discount of 14K and exchange bonus of 50K, which brings the price down to 10.51 lacs. This is with NIL safety features, no ICE, rear defogger, keyless entry or immobiliser plus there will also be an additional 1% cess for vehicles over 10L. So, not gonna consider that anymore. It just doesn't seem to be good value.

Is the budget inclusive of exchange? I'm assuming it isn't because you mentioned the Zest XTA which is about 10L. In that price range, you could also consider the Dzire AMT, which would keep you in the familiar Maruti stable. It's supposedly a much better AMT than the Zest and comes with the creep function and 4th gen AMT. If you don't require diesel, there are a lot of great options in this range, including the Baleno CVT and Jazz CVT, both of which supposedly have great FE and are smoother than AMTs.

Iam hesitating Maruti due to rattle. Between the Zest and Dzire AMTs, I found the Zest to be better build. Do CVTs help in the sudden overtaking manoeuvres we have to do in our single lane highways? Heard that they build rpms slowly. I tested the Zest AMT for the above requirement. The AMT pulls down from 5th to 3rd quickly when accelerator is floored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
You should also check out the Dzire AMT, amongst the better automatic option under 10 lakhs. Aspire Automatic is petrol only, from what I remember.

If you are fine with petrol, there are many good options like Baleno CVT, Jazz CVT, Ciaz AT and Aspire.
I prefer diesel and as iam currently owning a swift, Iam hesitating to go for a Dzire due to rattles and interior is more or less similar. Zest seems to be better build and only negative thing is the resale after 6 years.

Last edited by ontheroad : 26th June 2016 at 22:42.
Old 26th June 2016, 23:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Average distance traveled per month: Just above 1000 kms a month.

Any and all inputs from you would be welcome and much appreciated.

Just a suggestion, why don't you TD petrol cars like Ciaz petrol, zest/bolt petrols, etc ? You will save a significant amount of money since your running doesn't justify diesel. Yes, I know that diesels are turbo, but cars like Punto 1.4, Figo/Aspire 1.5 are powerful (relatively than 1.2 petrols) and available with high discounts. Zest/bolt are turbo petrols.

Going for petrol will widen your choice.

Most Viewed