Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

In search of a new car. EDIT: 6-12 lakh budget

We have two hatchbacks and a sedan right now in our garage, but one of the hatchback i.e. i10 will now be shifted to my elder brother in Mumbai. i10 was his car but since he got transferred there, he chose to keep this car here as his company provided him a Toyota Etios. But since now his wife also needs a car(still learning to drive), we will be shifting i10 soon to their place.

We often used i10 for long trips and avoided WagonR considering reliability i.e. chances of breakdown since WagonR is ageing and will turn 8 years old this April. I don't want my dad to be left stranded on road because of the car, so we always preferred to use i10 sparingly for occasional long drives. Taking Honda City to some places is not an option because of low ground clearance and couple of more reasons.

i10 has covered 8,000 Kms in last three years. WagonR will be completing 50,000 Kms by April and City has 26,000 KMS on Odo since last four years. We have no plans of selling WagonR and it will continue to be our family member till the legal registration age limit of 15 years as specified by Government as per latest rule. I hope it will remain useful for city commutes and grocery shopping from nearby malls even by that time.

Now with i10 soon to be shifted, we require a new car for the occasional long trips. Our usage is not very much. So I am considering petrol cars only. Possible time frame to buy this next car is by March-April(can be delayed if some new model in similar range coming up or existing shortlisted one is due for a refresh). Both my dad and me will be using the car and also my brother if required whenever he is in town.

Our budget is under 6 lacs(on road), not more than that as of now. I want to keep cost as low as possible, so considering base models only. I can get a music system/keyless entry as after market fitment and other features are not very important or required.

I have shortlisted following cars - personal preference wise. I will be posting my own opinions, concerns regarding the same for each car.

-> Maruti Swift Dzire LXi - 5.20 lacs onroad delhi (*all prices according to carwale)

I have used and commuted in my friend's Dzire lot of times and overall I am impressed with the car. It's ride quality, decent interiors and compact footprint makes it my first choice as next new car.
Concerns include that it is now almost three year old model and might be upgraded/revamped with something new. Since we keep our cars for longer period of time (~10+ years time frame in mind), I was wondering if Dzire will be updated anytime soon.

-> Honda Amaze EMT - 5.45 onroad

Initially when this was launched, I was impressed by overall design of the car and its proper boot integration. Also with another Honda in house, I am very happy with City, so expect something same from it. It though, appears to be slightly expensive than dzire and its 5,000 kms service schedule as compared to 10,000 kms interval of maruti makes it expensive to maintain as well. And launched around two years ago, this is also not a very new model.

-> Hyundai i20 Era - 5.45 onroad

Now I know that this is the probably the best looking car among the ones I shortlisted and also the newest of them all. I personally like it too. There is no separate boot like the above two and it looks slightly overpriced to me as well. It is much wider also, so might be not very zippy to drive in city.

-> Hyundai Xcent 1.2 - 5.20 onroad

Another fresh model in the market, selling well also. Pricing is also correct but I am not really a fan of its looks. I prefer Dzire/Amaze over Xcent in terms of looks but obviously I can not ask for everything.

I want suggestions, opinions and guidance from fellow BHpians over the cars I have shortlisted. I have posted my views about them. Used cars will not be considered, so I prefer to buy a brand new one only. No Tata as well. Etios is also not in mind at all considering its age in the market.

Any other recommendations other than these cars, views or whatever you guys want to share that will help me make a final decision.

Thanks a lot and a very happy new year to all.

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd January 2015 at 23:03.
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: In search of a new car. EDIT: 6-12 lakh budget

I too suggest the Maruti Suzuki Ritz VDi

You need a car for highway runs, the Ritz has the most popular 1.3 Fiat engine, the engine has sold in such high numbers that looking from a long term ownership perspective, the parts for this engine should not be a problem for years to come and so also manpower expertise in overhauling this engine.

The Ritz is an under-valued Car, there are so many plus points that do not get highlighted, for example the ease of ingress and egress, especially for your Dad. Search on YouTube for the Overdrive mega hatch comparison, the magazine compared all the hatchbacks made in India and the Ritz won that comparo.

The Ritz is also available for a huge discount, a VDi within 6 lakhs should be easily available with the Dealers.

All the best for your hunt, please keep updating this thread, would be eager to know what filled the space in your garage before Q2

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2015 at 16:27. Reason: Typos
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:23   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Our budget is under 6 lacs(on road), not more than that as of now.

-> Maruti Swift Dzire LXi - 5.20 lacs onroad

-> Honda Amaze EMT - 5.45 onroad

-> Hyundai i20 Era - 5.45 onroad

-> Hyundai Xcent 1.2 - 5.20 onroad

Any other recommendations other than these cars, views or whatever you guys want to share that will help me make a final decision.
Are you looking for a hatch or a compact sedan?

Out of the list you made, I'd select Dzire preferably VXi (if you can pull discounts from the dealer). Not that there is any great difference on the safety aspect between LXi and VXi. What you'll love is the K12M engine in that car.

The Swift/Dzire combo will get a complete change anytime between mid-2016 to early-2017, so IMO there is time for a 'new' Swift/Dzire.

Else do look at Ritz which comes under 6L.

EDIT: Just noticed Arun's post.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd January 2015 at 09:24.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Any reason you are selecting the base variants of compact sedans, over the top variants of their hatchback versions? I would have preferred the latter with ABS and airbags - since you have mentioned that the car would be used for the highways - Swift ZXi Or Grand i10 Asta.

Now - Between the Swift, Amaze and Xcent, I would prefer the Xcent. (I also have one in my garage). Below are the reasons -

1. Space - Xcent offers a LOT more space compared to the DZire, be it the legroom or bootspace. [b] Here is a comparo between the two cars for interior space.

2. Looks - Subjective, but I have a totally different opinion compared to yours. I like the way Xcent looks (Would have helped if it was wider!) compared to the add-on boot look of the DZire. And the upcoming DZire facelift only makes its case worse for my tastes.

3. Feature loaded - From your budget, it looks like you are considering the base version. However the second variant of Xcent comes in your budget as well. S variant of the Xcent comes loaded with useful features like -

Day/night rear view mirror,
rear defogger,
rear parking sensors,
folding key,
optional ABS,
optional alloy wheels,
audio system (with bluetooth, aux-in, 1 GB hard disk)
steering mounted controls,
rear a/c vents,
electric adjust and folding mirrors,
driver seat height adjust etc.

All this comes to 5.89 OTR Delhi (As per carwale, which is again within your budget).
6.15L OTR Delhi with the optional features (ABS and alloy wheels included).

4. Quality - The Hyundai cars here feel much better in terms of interior quality. This would be the sole reason I wouldn't pick the Amaze, and hence not mentioned it in the above points.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd January 2015 at 10:04.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:22   #5
MHG
BHPian

Since you are looking for value for money and are intent upon a separate boot, may I suggest the Tata Motors Zest ? XE is priced at 5,31,129, XM at 5,96,707 and the XMS with ABS and a couple of airbags costs 6,16,058. All prices on-road Delhi for Petrol variant obtained from Concorde Motors website http://www.concordemotors.com/onroadprice/delhi
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:37   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Since you are looking for value for money and are intent upon a separate boot, may I suggest the Tata Motors Zest ? XE is priced at 5,31,129, XM at 5,96,707 and the XMS with ABS and a couple of airbags costs 6,16,058. All prices on-road Delhi for Petrol variant obtained from Concorde Motors website
OP has mentioned 'No cars from Tata's stable.

Quote:
Used cars will not be considered, so I prefer to buy a brand new one only. No Tata as well. Etios is also not in mind at all considering its age in the market.
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why are you wasting money, pal? Your running is very, very low (your i10 has done 222 kms / month, WagonR 520 kms / month and City is 541 kms / month).

Since your primary objective for this new car is highway cruising, use the City for that! With <26,000 kms, she's a virgin with a long healthy life in front of her. She also has more space, power etc. than any of the entry level sedans under discussion here.

Low ground clearance? Use some smart tricks (I've taken my 170 mm GC Civic & 145 mm C-Class everywhere) like this one?

Want more practicality? For 2,000 bucks, get coil spring adjusters (link). My experience with them has been very good from the ground clearance POV.

Remember, every additional car is an additional cost center. It costs you big $$$ in depreciation, insurance, maintenance, EMI interest etc. You seriously under-use your existing cars....what's the point of getting another one!

I can understand if you want to buy another ride to suit your enthusiast needs (say, a superbike, Jeep, convertible). But seriously, why buy a 6 lakh sedan for highway commuting when you have a like-new 10 lakh sedan! Just doesn't add up.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

IMO, none of the options you mentioned are really good for the highway, especially with the base variants. The best option is to use the City for those occasional highway runs.

And if you really are thinking to get a new car, a couple of thoughts:
1) Increase the budget and get something like the Polo GT TSI
2) Sell off the City, add on the 6 lakhs (probably a bit more), and get a car in the segment above, say the Jetta comfortline.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

As GTO says, something just does'nt add up regarding the need for a new car.

No offence, but regarding the Honda City you mention Low GC and "a couple of other reasons". Curious to know, are these reasons something really serious ?

My choice would be the Xcent, on account of the rear AC vents which would be good for lesser fatigue for the rear occupants during your highway drives, and the plush interiors of Hyundai.
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 14:07   #10
BHPian

I agree with GTO. I think the City would do a wonderful job as a highway cruiser. A new car under 6 lacs just doesn't have enough reason to be purchased.

Given the cars that you have shortlisted, I think the Hyundai Xcent fits the bill best. But why no Tata? The Zest is such a competent car, I would not mind the company from which it came. Moreover, if you wish to avoid Tata because of shady after sales, think again, as they are slowly but steadily improving.

Good luck selecting!
Turbo_asd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 14:18   #11
BANNED

Quote:

Any update on the situation buddy?

Which car had been decided or yet to decided?
Old 15th January 2015, 16:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any update on the situation buddy?

Which car had been decided or yet to decided?
I exactly agree with GTO's post. Our running is not much but there are lot of things which are to be considered on personal note; and not everything can be posted as well.

We have i10 with us as of now, my brother has not yet told to send the car back to him. As long as i10 is with us, there is no need of another car. But as soon as i10 goes away, we anyhow have to think about its replacement.

I might just look for options in a higher segment as well - Ciaz maybe. Since this is not an urgent purchase anyways, Let's see how things unfolds with time.
Old 15th January 2015, 19:19   #13
BHPian

Hi bluevolt,

Quote:
I might just look for options in a higher segment as well - Ciaz maybe. Since this is not an urgent purchase anyways, Let's see how things unfolds with time.
If you have decided to take a look at the C2 segment, please do look at the City. IMHO, it is a much better product than the Ciaz. True, the Ciaz comes with 5 star Maruti A.S.S, but Honda is not too far behind on that count either. The ground clearance is not an issue any more.
Old 15th January 2015, 19:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
......please do look at the City..........
He already owns one, and given all the reports of niggles & overall lack of quality in the new version compared to previous-gen models, he's better off keeping his good-as-new (only 26k kms done) City for a few more years.
Old 15th January 2015, 19:45   #15
BHPian

Why don't you consider the grand i10 asta(o)? though you'll have to stretch your budget a little but then since you mentioned you'll be using it on highways too, the abs and airbags make a lot of sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks