Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 23:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: In search of a new car. EDIT: 6-12 lakh budget

Are we expecting any new launches by Q1 2016?
Old 7th April 2016, 10:20   #32

Hello everyone. I am newbie & cannot start a new thread hence asking my query here.
Here is my situation :
Our previous cars were Tata Estate, Tata Safari & Indica. So ownership experiences were not fuss free at all! Currently I own a 2013 Polo Tdi Highline now at 70,000Kms. It has been immaculately maintained & very cautiously driven. Still at 60,000kms the car stopped in the middle of the road & we had to tow it 150kms to the nearest service station. Had to replace injectors & high pressure pump. Near to Rs.1 Lac. Thanks to Team-bhp,I had extended warranty & didn't have to pay anything.But this incident has shaken my faith in Volkswagen brand. Now I am looking for a car which will give me a fuss free ownership for 3Lac kms.
1.I TD the etios. Much better than 1st generation in terms of interior. But still I didn't find the under thigh support better than my Polo. Also I think the co-passenger is much more comfortable in Polo than etios. Also music system is nothing as compared with Polo.
2.Hence we are thinking about a segment above Altis Disel. But it's expensive. So can you help me which one to go for? Will the ownership of Corolla Altis be fuss free, tension free for at least 3Lac Kms?
3. Or to go for Figo Aspire? Don't know about Ford A$$ & long term reliability. We are thinking of Altis only because of it's Toyota but it is stretching our budget. We are willing to do it ONLY IF it will give us a good service for at least 3Lac Kms .
Please suggest.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha C.H. View Post
Hello everyone.
3. Or to go for Figo Aspire? Don't know about Ford A$$ & long term reliability. We are thinking of Altis only because of it's Toyota but it is stretching our budget. We are willing to do it ONLY IF it will give us a good service for at least 3Lac Kms .
Please suggest.
Why don't you take a look at the Honda city or Maruti ciaz. A corolla will be much more expensive for routine maintainance even though it is very reliable. Both these Japanese cars are reliable and have lots of space like the cars you mentioned. You can also take a look at the Ertiga or Brezza or the upcoming BRV if you are more interested in SUV/MUV.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:

2.Hence we are thinking about a segment above Altis Disel. But it's expensive. So can you help me which one to go for? Will the ownership of Corolla Altis be fuss free, tension free for at least 3Lac Kms?

Please suggest.
The corolla diesel is a little too underpowered for continuous running on the highways. Under high load, i dont think it will be able to survive that long.
The only car i can think of, that can survive 3l kms fuss free is the innova.
Old 7th April 2016, 13:34   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
A corolla will be much more expensive for routine maintainance even though it is very reliable. Both these Japanese cars are reliable and have lots of space like the cars you mentioned. You can also take a look at the Ertiga or Brezza or the upcoming BRV if you are more interested in SUV/MUV.
Will Corolla be more expensive to maintain than Polo? Toyota Sa told that the service cost will be 5-6K max per service. Polo costs 10-12K per service & charges will be more as running increases.
Not interested in SUV/MUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The only car i can think of, that can survive 3l kms fuss free is the innova.
Innova - low FE about 10-12km/l hence not considering.
Old 7th April 2016, 17:28   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1.I TD the etios. Much better than 1st generation in terms of interior. But still I didn't find the under thigh support better than my Polo. Also I think the co-passenger is much more comfortable in Polo than etios. Also music system is nothing as compared with Polo.
Please suggest.
Your observation of the Etios is a little surprising.
I, for one, love the space + seat comfort it offers in it's top trim. Even the ride is very good for it's segment. Music system is something that can be upgraded. We have a Liva done 65,000kms of a lot of abuse, multiple drivers, etc. and still going strong; as well as an Etios done 30,000kms and purring along.
Our main complaints with the Etios is more to do with it's poor NHV, and dated interior design - though on the longevity, and cost of maintenance - it's doing a fantastic job.

I am not aware of how Ford service is in your area, though the Figo Aspire is a terrific car with superb VFM. Not sure if it will last 3L without any issues, but should see 1L + with ease!

Lastly, do consider the Maruti S-Cross as well. It's a fantastic vehicle, with the 1.3L being tried and tested. Service, maintenance would not be an issue as it is a Maruti. Build quality, interiors, features, ride/handling are superior to the other vehicles in your list, and will come very close to giving the Altis a run for your money.

Regarding routine service maintenance costs, do keep in mind that the Polo bills should include Synthetic engine oil (at Rs. 1,000/litre) v/s mineral/semi-synthetic on a Toyota which is significantly cheaper and hence the difference. Synthetic engine oil has it's advantages which are discussed in other threads on this forum.
However, keeping the class of the vehicle in mind - accident spares, engine parts, etc. wouldn't be very cheap.

Last edited by lamborghini : 7th April 2016 at 17:31.
Old 7th April 2016, 18:04   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am newbie & cannot start a new thread hence asking my query here.
Please suggest.
One of the side effects of owning a car like the Polo is that you get used to the higher level of quality and build, so when you look at other options, you at least sub consciously compare these aspects.

As lamborghini has mentioned above, I would also suggest having a look at the S Cross. As the reviews say, it is more European than Japanese from Build, fit and finish and even performance and handling. So you can get all the elements you enjoyed with the Polo with the peace of mind of a Maruti.

From the Ford stable, more than the Aspire, I would recommend the Ecosport. With the recent price cuts, it is a really good proposition and I think will give the longevity you are looking for.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th April 2016 at 18:06.
Old 7th April 2016, 19:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Your observation of the Etios is a little surprising.
I, for one, love the space + seat comfort it offers in it's top trim. Even the ride is very good for it's segment. Music system is something that can be upgraded. We have a Liva done 65,000kms of a lot of abuse, multiple drivers, etc. and still going strong; as well as an Etios done 30,000kms and purring along.
Our main complaints with the Etios is more to do with it's poor NHV, and dated interior design - though on the longevity, and cost of maintenance - it's doing a fantastic job.

Lastly, do consider the Maruti S-Cross as well. It's a fantastic vehicle, with the 1.3L being tried and tested. Service, maintenance would not be an issue as it is a Maruti. Build quality, interiors, features, ride/handling are superior to the other vehicles in your list, and will come very close to giving the Altis a run for your money.
We TDed the etios 2 times and I find the co-passanger cannot stretch the legs comfortably as in Polo. I am considering to take another long TD next week.
S-cross - Nexa delership is in Pune. Will have to go there when have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One of the side effects of owning a car like the Polo is that you get used to the higher level of quality and build, so when you look at other options, you at least sub consciously compare these aspects.
Exactly the feeling from all of our family members. We were thinking of keeping it for 2Lac Kms but after it's breakdown we are not willing to take risk. Hence our first priority was Toyota.

Saw Ciaz today. ZDi variant is 10.83 OTR here (Etios VXD is 10.56 OTR). Much much much better VFM than etios. TD car wasn't available. Will take TD next week. I really want a Toyota but etios is just not clicking yet.
Old 11th April 2016, 21:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of budget, which cars come with factory fitted CNG kits? To survive the odd even delhi rule?
Old 11th April 2016, 21:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Irrespective of budget, which cars come with factory fitted CNG kits? To survive the odd even delhi rule?
This link might help.

https://www.cardekho.com/new-cng+cars
Old 16th April 2016, 20:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
We are willing to do it ONLY IF it will give us a good service for at least 3Lac Kms .
Please suggest.
Not only the engine but also the construction of the car should be able to hold itself for the type of your intended usage. Doubt the Etios will stand the test of time. You need a no nonsense abuse friendly car for your requirements and the only car that comes to mind is the Mahindra Verito. Forget the name Mahindra, under the skin it is very much european Renault with spruced up interiors and exteriors by Mahindra. Be it excellent drivability with no lag, or good fuel efficiency, it has everything going for it. The build quality is solid and abuse friendly. Very spacious and comfortable rear seat with sorted out ride and handling. Boot is spacious too. Easily serviceable with Mahindra backup. There are numerous examples which are running past 3 lac kms. The best part is, the top of the end variant easily falls in your budget without any pinch.
Old 16th April 2016, 21:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Any Toyota, Honda or Maruti will easily give you 3L km of fuss free running provided you maintain it well. Pick a vehicle as suits your needs and budget from their respective ranges. TD the Baleno. You will be surprised at the interior space for a 4m car

Last edited by pganapathy : 16th April 2016 at 21:58. Reason: Typo
Old 19th April 2016, 20:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

One of the discussions going on these days with my father is about considering CNG car option because of the odd-even rule in Delhi.

How about Honda Amaze CNG? The on-road price for the car is 7.5 lacs with dealer fitted CNG kit approved by Honda.

Any body owning Amaze CNG on the forum?

Also is this right time to buy Amaze? When second gen Amaze can be expected?
Old 19th April 2016, 20:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest.
We just came back from a 1200 kms road trip - 600 kms one way. Neither me as driver nor my family members experienced fatigue due to seating. I would say don't think so much of under thigh support as a feature in isolation but consider the entire seating experience. Its not bad at all.

I agree the speakers are not at par but its something you can address by upgrading rear speakers. The front speakers won't get upgraded. I wouldn't refuse buying a car for the music system. Compared to other cars you will be saving a tidy sum of money that you can deploy towards these niceties.

I have seen Pune-Mumbai taxis running etios going into a couple of lac kms of mileage and I haven't met a single owner who complained of reliability or dealer issues. In fact their inputs was a key consideration for me.
Old 19th April 2016, 21:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

How about Honda Amaze CNG? The on-road price for the car is 7.5 lacs with dealer fitted CNG kit approved by Honda.

Any body owning Amaze CNG on the forum?

Also is this right time to buy Amaze? When second gen Amaze can be expected?
The Amaze has just been refreshed, so I think the next generation will be some time away.

The Xcent was also launched with the CNG option. Related thread here

Rather than a CNG, maybe it makes more sense to buy the Ciaz Diesel SHVS (which as I understand is also exempted from the odd even rule).

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th April 2016 at 21:15.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed