Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 23:29   #106
BHPian

Re: Upgrade Confusion - Compact sedan to Hatch vs Sedan vs CUV, under 10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I prefer diesel and as I am currently owning a swift, I am hesitating to go for a Dzire due to rattles and interior is more or less similar. Zest seems to be better build and only negative thing is the resale after 6 years.
In that case I would also consider TUV300 T6+ AMT. It is priced 40k more than Zest,is well equipped, spacious, and would be a good change from the hatchback.

Additionally, I would place more trust on Mahindra than Tata for after sales servicing. Plus this should have better resale value.

Also, Ameo was spotted with Diesel and 7 speed DSG. Ameo is priced 2 lakhs less than Vento, and going by the same price the 1.5 DSG might be less than 9 lakhs ex-showroom, and DSG is much much smoother than AMT.
Old 27th June 2016, 06:38   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I've actually booked the Ecosport because my mum was gushing over it when the salespersons were here for a test drive. She still asks me why am I still looking for other cars. Personally, I think that the Brezza looks a lot better and is much better equipped for the same price. The Ecosport Trend+ is priced the same as the Brezza ZDi, but lacks projector headlamps, alloy wheels, parking sensors and DRLs. It's also a bit cramped inside, at the rear.

The S-Cross Delta actually comes to 10.15 lacs after all discounts. If only they offered the SVHS like in the Ertiga and the Ciaz, it would be still cheaper. I suspect they will offer it soon, as it is a 4m+ car and will provide substantial tax savings.
If it is Ecosport for looks, then thats a subjective choice. Same holds for Brezza. But if it was between Brezza Vs S-Cross, I would say S-Cross just for the build and space.

Now between the S-Cross (or other X-Overs) vs Jazz/Baleno/I20, again thats a subjective choice. A top end hatch and X-over (for form factor) or S-Cross (as a mix of all)

The other other angle is a compact sedan (or a C-Segment Sedan like Ciaz). Aspire top end is the only one in contention with all the gadgets and features thrown in. I cant comment on Zest as I dont have any experience to share. Hence will leave that for others to share.

I think you will need to shot down if you need a sedan (or CS) or not. Once you cross that hurdle, then it comes to a top end hatch vs X-Over discussion. If the form-factor of a X-over plays in your mind, then again we have conclusion on X-over. If not, and its only value proposition, then I think you should chose between Ecosport/S-Cross/(Top-End hatch) depending on your selection. And within them decide in power/space/handling/features.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:47   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The Baleno is also an equally good option. If you seat 5 in the Baleno, the rear end sags. This might affect GC and the ability to tackle some humps/undulations.

The S-Cross is the best option I think, although the 1.3 for this car is adequate and not powerful.

The Ecosport is not the widest car in the segment.

Didn't Ertiga fit in your budget?
Hi landcruiser, do you have any personal experience driving or seeing in person the Baleno rear end sagging? All i am asking is to understand how bad is this issue and the extent to which it can affect Baleno with 5 on board. I am looking at a whatever best i can get under 10 lac in a petrol disguise and the Baleno seems to perfectly fits the bill. However, in parallel sailing in the same boat of hatch vs. CSUV (read Baleno Vs. Brezza/ Ecosport, the Brezza with its upcoming TC 1.0 petrol). Have also heard the news of S Cross petrol with a new 1.5 petrol motor that might also replace the current petrol in Ciaz.
Old 27th June 2016, 13:15   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: In search of a new car. EDIT: 6-12 lakh budget

^^
A lot depends on the road conditions.
But my personal experience:
With the same 5 people on board, my friend has to drive very carefully over most speed breakers, but I can drive comfortably over the same speed breakers in my Getz.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 22:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I don't really understand what you mean here. Wouldn't a shorter car be better for narrow roads and tight turns? Could you please elaborate?
A shorter car would be better only in the narrow city roads. Both on the highway and in ghat roads, a longer, wider car would handle better and would be more planted on the road. You can attack corners at a quicker pace on cars like the S-Cross than with an SUV / wannabe SUV.

Taller cars = higher centre of gravity = lower grip levels.
Old 14th July 2016, 13:21   #111
BHPian

Re: In search of a new car. EDIT: 6-12 lakh budget

I was looking around but could not determine if the Hyundai Xcent SX(O) is available in CNG. I am interested in a CNG Notchback.
Old 19th March 2017, 11:26   #112
BHPian

New/Used diesel car for ~8L OTR. Safe, reliable and classy. In that order

Hello,
Don't want to drag this with a long life story, so here's the gist:

1. Said car is destined to be a beater car, to be used by my Father between Mumbai and Tarapur (260km round trip) semi-daily.

2. Current car is a Tata Manza Quadrajet and that slab needs to GO, pronto.

3. Safety is of utmost priority. Good structural integrity, ABS (All possible safety related acronyms) and life saving balloons are necessary.

4. It must be reliable. No breakdowns, no untimely visits to the service center nothing other than routine maintenance, which must also be cheap.

5. Boot space isn't a priority, therefore hatchbacks haven't been ruled out, but if it is going to be a hatch, it must be spacious (My old man is tall)

6. It must be half decent to look at. Father doesn't care, but I do. (Hyundai Xcent, Honda Amaze, Swift Dzire or VW Ameo; Look away. Capeesh?)

7. Not a Tata. And I've begun to hate the interiors of budget Hondas so going to rule them out as well.

8. Also, what has happened to the world? The i20 with 6 balloons is 11L OTR Mumbai. WHAT!? (I know; inflation and making room for the Xcent, but let me rant)

Okay, so with that out of the way, here are some cars I've thought of:

- Ford Aspire - Top Model with 6 airbags is slightly out of budget but might be able to swing for it after discounts (Are there any?). Recent crash tests haven't been encouraging though.

- Used Toyota Corolla Altis - The couple I was able to find on carwale have done around 50,000km. Will they be reliable? Say I get a new set of rubber, a full service done before we start using it. What then?

- I'm out. Please help!
DeKay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:08   #113
BHPian

Re: New/Used diesel car for ~8L OTR. Safe, reliable and classy. In that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
- Ford Aspire - Top Model with 6 airbags is slightly out of budget but might be able to swing for it after discounts (Are there any?). Recent crash tests haven't been encouraging though.

- Used Toyota Corolla Altis - The couple I was able to find on carwale have done around 50,000km. Will they be reliable? Say I get a new set of rubber, a full service done before we start using it. What then?

- I'm out. Please help!
Toyotas are extremely reliable, and if you are open to used then Corolla should be on top. 50k is not a lot for any modern car, much more Toyota. If I were you though, considering you are in Mumbai, I would get a petrol Corolla and add CNG to it, if running is high. Diesel Corolla engine is not my top choice. Related thread where the owner has done the same: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...s-now-cng.html.

Even a Civic can be bought and converted to CNG, and that would probably save you some cash too.

Aspire would be my second choice, as Corolla is in a different league.

Last edited by autorahul : 19th March 2017 at 12:09.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 12:44   #114
Team-BHP Support

Choose between VW Polo & Toyota Liva - these are the only two cars that have passed the safety test with flying colors.

VW Polo ought to be quite reliable (but spare parts are expensive when compared to Japs) and is classy enough.

Toyota Liva is likely to be slightly more reliable than sunlight. Liva Cross variant is an interesting looking car, although not exactly classy. Perhaps you can buy one in darker shade and replace stock alloys with black ones.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:07   #115
BHPian

Quote:
1. Said car is destined to be a beater car, to be used by my Father between Mumbai and Tarapur (260km round trip) semi-daily.
Having bought Elite i20 at launch for a similar scenario and running, I would say it is worth stretching the budget for.

That being said, I am a big fan of AT + Cruise Control (experience it once before making the final decision) and since only decent diesel option for me at the time was Jetta, I settled for Elite. But now you have Ameo (I know that boot integration riles up some people). Get the four year extended warranty to cover for that DSG gearbox and chuck it out at the end of it. The extra ownership cost will be worth the experience.

You could also check out few examples of previous gen Elantra in the used market. Example.

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 19th March 2017 at 13:12. Reason: Added classified ad in 'Example'
Old 19th March 2017, 14:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
If I were you though, considering you are in Mumbai, I would get a petrol Corolla and add CNG to it, if running is high.
Aspire would be my second choice, as Corolla is in a different league.
I agree, Toyotas are extremely reliable!
Father doesn't want a CNG car primarily because of the queues at filling stations. It has been exacerbated even more because of app based cabs. I've found a decent looking Altis D4D on Truebil, they want INR 499/- to give me details of the owner though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
VW Polo ought to be quite reliable (but spare parts are expensive when compared to Japs) and is classy enough.

Toyota Liva is likely to be slightly more reliable than sunlight. Liva Cross variant is an interesting looking car, although not exactly classy. Perhaps you can buy one in darker shade and replace stock alloys with black ones.
I love Volkswagen, they're safe, well built and classy (The Vento TSI is my daily). The only reason I ruled the Polo out for Father is because of the rear legroom.

I know, the Etios fits all requirements splendidly, but I somehow can't picture owning one, even as a beater. Do you know what I mean? Too bland. More so than the Corolla Altis. Not ruling it out though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Having bought Elite i20 at launch for a similar scenario and running, I would say it is worth stretching the budget for.

You could also check out few examples of previous gen Elantra in the used market. Example.
Agreed, the CRDI Elite i20 is a good all rounder. But, at 11L OTR, it must be ruled out. The Ameo too, because of the price and looks.

Elantra sure is an interesting choice. A quick search after reading your post and I saw most of them for the asking price of ~10, apart from the odd Olx listing. Will keep an eye out, thanks!

PS - Found a 2016 Ciaz ZDI with around 16k on the ODO. Because it did reasonably well in ASEAN NCAP crash test(s), I'm considering it. Given a choice, which one would you prefer? A 4-5 year old Altis with 50 odd thousand clicks, new Figo, Etios Liva or the aforementioned Ciaz?

Last edited by DeKay : 19th March 2017 at 14:25. Reason: PS Note
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 14:43   #117
BHPian

Quote:
PS - Found a 2016 Ciaz ZDI with around 16k on the ODO. Because it did reasonably well in ASEAN NCAP crash test(s), I'm considering it. Given a choice, which one would you prefer? A 4-5 year old Altis with 50 odd thousand clicks, new Figo, Etios Liva or the aforementioned Ciaz?

Ciaz would still have its warranty intact, so thats slightly more favourable. You can also search for S-Cross, which has very good build quality too.

PS: It would also be worth enquiring about new lower variants of S-Cross at showrooms. You might get 2016 model from showrooms at very good prices around 9 lakhs.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 15:42   #118
BHPian

If you can, go for the City S/SV variant. Very spacious and comfortable. Since it'll be a beater car, I don't think you'll need the top end features.

EcoSport is competent too. Good road manners and safety too. Not to forget GC.

But, in your budget, best car to buy would be Figo / Aspire.

Test drive the Sunny as well but be prepared for sub standard ASS.

Btw for a beater car, wouldn't recommend second hand. Reliability and pre-owned mostly don't go hand in hand.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 19th March 2017 at 15:45.
Old 19th March 2017, 15:49   #119
BANNED

If it's driver driven, go for Corolla or the ciaz. Backseat comfort will be lovely.
If self drive, go for the Polo or Ameo eyes closed, Ameo only because of the diesel DSG. It's ugly, but ticks all the boxes.
Old 19th March 2017, 16:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

Fiat in any format (sedan or hatchback) is reliable & comfortable highway mile cruncher. If you can ignore the spiel of armchair consultants take a long, hard & serious look at the marquee.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed