Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2006, 16:33   #1
BHPian

Best Highway Car under 7.5 lakhs

I am planning to undertake a 4000 km trip sometime in Diwali from Pune to Kerela and back and am looking at buying a good highway vehicle which will be comfortable for a minimum of 5 passengers.
I shortlisted the following in varying price ranges
  • Tata Indica Turbo (4.5 Lakhs)
    • Pro's - cheapest, decent power and torque for the highway, decent interior space, Excellent Fuel Economy
    • Con's - Boot Space, Long term reliability, Hear too many scary stories
  • Tata Indigo LX (5.7 Lakhs)
    • Pro's - same as Indica, Big Boot, Good rear seat
    • Con's - Long term reliability, Hear too many scary stories
  • Tata Safari Dicor LX (7.6 Lakhs)
    • Pro's - Boss of the Highway, Great passenger comfort
    • Con's - Long term reliability, Too large turning radius to be used in the city
  • Ford Fiesta TDCi Exi (7.7 Lakhs)
    • Pro's - Extremely refined, Fuel Efficient
    • Con's - Looks delicate, not sure how it will handle our Bad Highways, Expensive spare parts
Would have liked to include the Innova but I'm already stretching by budget till 7.5 Lakhs. Not sure if I should consider any Petrol options right now seeing the way Fuel prices are shooting up.

I know that 3 of my options include the Tata's and all 3 of them will probably get an engine upgrade. Is it worth going in for the Tata Safari Dicor 3 ltr engine knowing that a new one is round the corner ?
I would ideally like to take a decision to buy a vehicle by end of this month or early next month so that I have enough time to run-in the vehicle before taking it on a long road trip.

Please let me know based on your experiences as to which one would be an ideal choice for the highway.
Old 16th August 2006, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi numerouno

I'm not sure if the Pune-Kerala trip can be the sole criteria for buying a car - you're not likely to be doing this trip every month, are you?

You should therefore widen your choices. Pune-Kerala is no biggie anyway - we did it comfortably in a day and a half in our old Accent, but we were just 2 1/4 passengers....

Dont worry about the scary stories about the Indica/go, though. My friend's Indigo taxis regularly do the Kerala-Goa tourist trail at least 3-4 times every month and all his cars have logged in about 100,000 kms in a year and are still going strong.

Please look at your long-term requirements beyond the Pune-Kerala trip and come up with a set of criteria - that will help people here give you more pertinent advice.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th August 2006 at 16:51.
Old 16th August 2006, 16:54   #3
BHPian

Why not consider Baleno, Fusion?
Old 16th August 2006, 17:03   #4
BANNED

How about Tavera? Seems to fit your bill pretty well. It's a diesel, fits more than five comfortably, is rugged, and I think it's definitely within your budget.
Old 16th August 2006, 17:07   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yes seating 5 ppl in comfort for 4000kms of highway travel, i think Tavera and Safari fit the bill. Too many scary stories bout Indica and indigo well there are a lot more sucess stories too, i've seen 1L+ indicas going strong.
Old 16th August 2006, 17:07   #6
BHPian

i completely agrees with Boom Shiva.
Tavera is avery capable vehicle and it can serve you well after your that 4K trip.
Old 16th August 2006, 17:22   #7
BHPian

I already have a Santro for daily city use which I currently intend to keep since its much easier in the city.. I was looking for a vehicle thats bigger than the santro and can accomodate 5 people in reasonable comfort. I have a daily commute of close to 45 km so it could eventually replace the Santro as my daily commute if it fits the bill.

Space, Drive comfort, Economy is what I'm looking for in my next vehicle.
Old 16th August 2006, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by numerouno
Space, Drive comfort, Economy is what I'm looking for in my next vehicle.
Go for the Dicor if you dont mind missing out on the new engine. Nothing wrong with the old engine except the narrow-ish powerband. Space, comfort and to a certain extent economy make up for it.
Old 16th August 2006, 18:46   #9
BHPian

For highway driving, one need's a powerful and a car with very good handling...and within 7.5L, Baleno and Fiat cars i.e Petra and adventure would probably be the ones to consider...
Old 16th August 2006, 18:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
i completely agrees with Boom Shiva.
Tavera is avery capable vehicle and it can serve you well after your that 4K trip.
As per JD Power review for 2005, however Tavera has highest problems as per UV Segment details which is even higher than the industry norms.

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...er/iqs2005.htm
Old 16th August 2006, 19:31   #11
BHPian

dude...one suggestion from me..
and i can bet u its the best among the lot..
go in for a chevy forester..
u wont regret it....
perfect for the highway.....very tough and smooth..
extremely comfortable and refined
grips the road like crazy....
and also if u want to go a bit offroading....whats the harm
Old 16th August 2006, 19:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power
dude...one suggestion from me..
and i can bet u its the best among the lot..
go in for a chevy forester..
u wont regret it....
perfect for the highway.....very tough and smooth..
extremely comfortable and refined
grips the road like crazy....
and also if u want to go a bit offroading....whats the harm
Forester? Under 7.5? Hey !! I hope you aren't kidding !!

The best possible vehicle would be one with higher stance and comfort for 5. Safari and Innova would fit the bill.
Else, you can also go for Fusion or Fiat Adventure Diesel.

Last edited by scorp 1 : 16th August 2006 at 19:57.
Old 16th August 2006, 20:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by numerouno
I am planning to undertake a 4000 km trip sometime in Diwali from Pune to Kerela and back and am looking at buying a good highway vehicle which will be comfortable for a minimum of 5 passengers.
I shortlisted the following in varying price ranges
[/list]Would have liked to include the Innova but I'm already stretching by budget till 7.5 Lakhs. Not sure if I should consider any Petrol options right now seeing the way Fuel prices are shooting up.

I know that 3 of my options include the Tata's and all 3 of them will probably get an engine upgrade. Is it worth going in for the Tata Safari Dicor 3 ltr engine knowing that a new one is round the corner ?
I would ideally like to take a decision to buy a vehicle by end of this month or early next month so that I have enough time to run-in the vehicle before taking it on a long road trip.

Please let me know based on your experiences as to which one would be an ideal choice for the highway.

tata's make good cars and are the third biggest manfuacturers in India. If you are considering the indca/indigo/marina, its the largest selling platform in the country. Look at either indigo/marina would be good. But going for a diesel considering just 1 trip would not be good. IF you average rougly around 1500-2000 then look at petrol but if its gonna be on the higher side then buy the diesel.

As an option for a highway car costing max 7.5 for 5 people I would look at

chevrolet Aveo. Next gen corsa with space and fiestas comfortable cousin.
Fiat petra(adventure even bettert). I dont know if 5 can seat properly.
Ford Fiesta. The more spirited cousin of Aveo.
Ford Fusion is good for 5 people too with good power.
Mahindra scorpio crde. Handling a suspect, otherwise good.

All the above mentioned cars will carry 5 people, costs below 7.5 and are stable on the highway. Fiesta and aveo come with additional safety features which should have a priority on the checklist.

concluding, i would look at ford fiesta tdci on the upperside and indigo marina on the lowerside of the budget.
Old 16th August 2006, 21:17   #14
BHPian

I have read really good things about the Ford Fusion, especially the new version...its even cheaper by a lakh!
Old 16th August 2006, 22:30   #15
BHPian

A bit OT: Maybe this is what the old-timers indicate when they say the quality has gone down in this site.

Guy comes in and requests advice in selecting a highway car - with a list of choices. Here we go, recommending everything in (and out of) the current market - Petra,Baleno,Fusion, Adventure, Forester, Scorpio, and what not! How's the poor bloke supposed to make a choice?

Can we have a bit more focus guys? We expect everybody to ask their questions after thoroughly researching the topic - guess what, the people who respond should do their research too! Sorry if I've offended anyone.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed