Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2006, 14:50   #1
BANNED

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sxi/ Honda City Gxi / VTEC

Guys,

I have almost made up my mind(90%) for Fiesta 1.6 Sxi; but in slight confusion w.r.t. Honda City as my dad says that is more famous and all that (you know fathers right)....

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi costs 7.8L on road... and i think Gxi is even less... but i am really confused ... VTEC i know costs 8.5 L on road... and considering i want power as well in my car... now my question is which is the best buy amongst Ford Fiesta Sxi 1.6/Honda City Gxi (no power in it:( ) / Honda City VTEC...

Is it worth spending 70 K more and go for VTEC over Fiesta 1.6 Sxi...
Old 17th August 2006, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Firstly why are you looking at the SXi, is it because of the added features like alloys and seat height adjustment. The seat height adjustment is no big deal, and the stock alloys dont look good either. I would choose ZXi over SXi and put in 5-spoke alloys and better tyres and still save money.

I have driven all the three.

The NHC GXi as we all know is a pain if you love to drive. But quite a delight if you love to count the notes in your wallet.

The NHC VTEC is powerful allright but then , it does not feel that way. Moreover I have had some issues with the feedback offered by the steering/brakes. It still feels like a logitech gaming wheel with the force feedback turned off. But then in daily driving not involving superfast speeds, you could get used to this without any issues. This is the car that will not make any fuss winning you drag races in stock form without even letting you know.

The Fiesta 1.6 is a delight to drive. It might not be as fast to drive as the NHC VTEC. It might not be as agile as the Ikon 1.6. But its more of an allrounder. Providing excellent Steering/Brake feel, responsive engine.

But for a person used to both cars (Fiesta & VTEC) would extract better track times (note in this case the person is also used to the track) from the VTEC, but would enjoy the Fiesta more. Contradictory right, not so, the Fiesta talks back to you which the NHC VTEC doesn't ( the old one did).

Service backup of Honda even now, is much better than what Ford can best claim for (This I say being a Ford owner).

So 70k could be worth it, depends on how would like to drive. But if you consider ZXi vs the VTEC, I feel, not worth it.

Last edited by 1100D : 17th August 2006 at 15:22.
Old 17th August 2006, 15:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Firstly why are you looking at the SXi, is it because of the added features like alloys and seat height adjustment. The seat height adjustment is no big deal, and the stock alloys dont look good either. I
Don't forget the leather upholstery, in dash 6 CD changer with 6 speakers (vs single CD player with 4 speakers), electrically adjustable OSRVM, clock, date & outside temparature display, keyless entry & auto-relocking, leather wrapped steering wheel, chrome bezel on front fog lamps to name a few more things the SXI has over the ZXI......but I'm beginning to sound like a Ford salesman now aren't I ?

By the way, the seat height adjustment is a big deal for my wife when she occasionally drives the car as I keep it at the lowest and she prefers the highest!

Last edited by suman : 17th August 2006 at 15:45.
Old 17th August 2006, 15:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
By the way, the seat height adjustment is a big deal for my wife when she occasionally drives the car as I keep it at the lowest and she prefers the highest!
Thats one very practical example. But I find, that the vertical travel is not really too much. Same with my Ikon 1.6 zxi. But in my case I did not need this.

May be he can take the Fiesta ZXi and take the Height adjustable seat from me. The In-dash 6 cd changer is fine, but (like the Ikon 1.6 zxi) does not play MP3. I have to use a FM generator to play mp3's from the mp3 player. The FM generator catches a lot of noise.

The electrically operated OSRVM is one good feature. How much does it cost to retrofit?

Actually you are right, SXi has a lot of features over ZXi, but the alloys are so bad to look at that you dont feel like going for the extra features.

Last edited by 1100D : 17th August 2006 at 16:02.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78
Consider you have bought the SXi. Would you still pine for a VTEC everytime you see one ? If so go for the VTEC . The extra 70K will then make sense.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
These extra 70k will be compensated in resale of the car. VTEC will fetch far better value as compared to Fiesta SXi. City is not value for money considering the features but is great at FE/maintenance/resale. So you won't be at loss with City as far as money is concerned.
Old 17th August 2006, 17:27   #7
BHPian

best take a test drive of all the cars u have mentioned and then decide
Old 17th August 2006, 18:17   #8
BANNED

I have driven them, but confused which is better Fiesta Sxi or VTEC
Old 17th August 2006, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Go for City... a blind choice...
Old 17th August 2006, 18:41   #10
BHPian

If test-drive too couldn't help, then go for the VTEC. At least car is good at most of the practical parameters. You won't regret after buying it.
Old 17th August 2006, 18:59   #11
BANNED

Thanks for the responses, to have more clairty i would like to have feedback on both cars Fiesta 1.6 Sxi and City VTEC on following parameters:

1. Cost of ownership (Maintaience Costs) - Which one is better here?
2. Features comparison - Which will you rate better?
3. Looks - Which is more sporty/gives a peppy looks(not feeling as Fiesta is a winner there

Thanks in advance,
Udit
Old 17th August 2006, 22:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

With the SXI you get ABS, equivalently good interiors, fun to drive and much more features than the NHC.

With the NHC VTEC you get brand image, exorbitant price, Superb engine, better build quality, better service from rude dealers.

I would say, go for fiesta.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

With the SXI you get ABS, equivalently good interiors, fun to drive and much more features than the NHC.

With the NHC VTEC you get brand image, exorbitant price, Superb engine, better build quality, better service quality but from rude dealers.

I would say, go for fiesta.
Old 18th August 2006, 05:42   #14
BHPian

i went through the same deliman, and went for vtec, but reasons were different.

as an ikon owner i was fed with my service experience, although loved the car and still have it, you can go thfough my ownership experience in the detailed review i have put up on "new car test drive" section,

i went against fiesta purely because of brand image, but the car was definetly good, decent FE is another plus,

overall i am happy with my new vtec, brand image, service, its space, FE i am getting is roughly 12 to 12.5 which you will easily get in fiesta, ford seems to be finally waking up to its pathetic service image, i do not think you can go wrong with either car, honda has that slight edge in the brand name, but Vtec in its own is a damn good car.
Old 18th August 2006, 10:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
1. Cost of ownership (Maintaience Costs) - Which one is better here?
2. Features comparison - Which will you rate better?
3. Looks - Which is more sporty/gives a peppy looks(not feeling as Fiesta is a winner there
1. City. Good FE + Less Maintenance + Superb Resale
2. Fiesta. Undoubtedly!
3. City again. VTEC is another name for sport, isn't it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks