Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2006, 13:32   #1
BHPian

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a car where I can get a driving pleasure spcially on highways. I am also looking for a car which I can drive on urban roads. I should not regret while driving on Pothhole etc.

I am looking for a car with neccessary features like Power steering, power windows, AC.

I have shortlisted Petra 1.6 and Adventure 1.6 becuase of the aggressive price and solid build and Looks. I have taken test ride of Adventure in city, driven on pothholes. And very much like its handling over pothholes, feels like there were no pothholes at all. I am also considering low on maintanance. As I heard Fiat's part are cheaper.

Yet to take test ride of Petra.

Earlier I was almost finalized on Petra 1.6. But when I see the price difference of both the vehicles there were minor diff in price about 20000/-.

I am little bit concern on mileage too. Below I have calculated my running on highway and city and fuel cost per year.

Adventure :
Total 8000 KM in one year on highway at 12 KMPL at 55 Ru PL = 36666/-
Total 6000 KM in one year in city at 9 KMPL at 55 Ru PL = 36666/-
Total Fuel Cost per Year 73332/-

Petra :
Total 8000 KM in one year on highway at 14 KMPL at 55 Ru PL = 31428/-
Total 6000 KM in one year on highway at 11 KMPL at 55 Ru PL = 30000/-
Total Fuel Cost per Year 61428/-

My question is, shall I consider this little difference on Fuel while go for Petra. Or shall I go for Adventure ? Next week I am going to test drive Petra too. Dealer told me suspension of Petra is also good.
Old 21st August 2006, 13:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think u should go in for the adventure- It has a longer wheel base, comes with 14 inch alloys as standard, has acres of luggage space, much more street presence and would generally fare better in the parking lot wars with those bull bars and side steps!

FE should not vary more than 0.5.

Moreover, the adventure is avaiable at TATA dealers so u have a greater option of sales and aslo can bargain better.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:19   #3
BHPian

My bid is Adventure.

Adventure looks better than Petra. has more space and resale is better too.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:24   #4
BHPian

How is the high speed handling of Adventure compared to Petra? If similar than, Adventure should be a better choice.

Cheers!!!
Old 21st August 2006, 14:34   #5
BHPian

I dont know about high speed in Adventure but heard it feels safe driving at higher speed, due to its heavy weight.
Old 21st August 2006, 14:57   #6
BHPian

Can anyone tell me the fuel consumption I have calulated 12 KMPL on highway for adventure and 14 KMPL for Petra is correct ?
Old 21st August 2006, 15:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar
Can anyone tell me the fuel consumption I have calulated 12 KMPL on highway for adventure and 14 KMPL for Petra is correct ?
Looks fair enough. You can look at any of the last 2-3 issues of TopGear magazine which has been having an Adventure as its long term vehicle. They seem to have got around 12 on the highway and around 9 in the city.

Of the Petra and Adventure, my pick would be the adventure for the reasons listed below:
1. Better space
2. Huge luggage space.
3. Much better looks.
4. Exclusivity.
5. Mild offroading capability.
6. All independent suspension.
7. Better ground clearance.
Old 21st August 2006, 15:39   #8
BHPian

Thanks Deepak, I think everyone will suggest Adventure instead of Petra. I have to take another test ride, specially long drive. I was looking for Canary Yellow color, which is not available now according to dealer. Can anyone tell me whether I can get Yellow color ?
Old 21st August 2006, 15:48   #9
BHPian

Thanks Deepak, I think everyone will suggest Adventure instead of Petra. I have to take another test ride, specially long drive. I was looking for Canary Yellow color, which is not available now according to dealer. Can anyone tell me whether I can get Yellow color ?
Old 21st August 2006, 21:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Pawan, I would go with the Petra here. The Adventure is a stationwagon and if you are not going to use it for the purpose it was built for then why spend even that little extra on buying and fuel expenses? The difference may be really minute but money saved is money earned, right? Besides, the station wagon never really took off in India and I am guessing here, but I feel Petra will fetch you a better resale value then Adventure. BUT, a car isn't all about practicality and monetary calculations. If your heart is set on the Adventure, go for it. I do agree that it looks awesome and will give you exclusivity.

From what I know, Canary yellow colour is avaliable on the Palio 1.6.
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:00   #11
BHPian

Do you guys think Petra is able to handle urban roads as well ? Not at the level of Adventure(Ground Clearance 190 mm) but near to that ? I am very much like to drive on long trip. Once in a year I used to drive. Last year I had driven M800 from Pune to Gondia (1000 KM). After buying this vehicle I am planning to go to Kerala or Himachal Pradesh after running in period completed.
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Pawan, if you are going to do long trips, Adventure would be better. The space comes in very handy.
Old 22nd August 2006, 13:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pawan, if you want absolute driving pleasure on the Highways with some offroading as well, then go for the Adventure, but if you will be doing more of City driving with occasional Highway drives, then go for the Petra. I know it is a catch 22 situation.
As others have pointed out, if you wanna Road presence, loads of space, stunning looks, highway & offroading pleasure, go for the beast called Adventure!!!
Old 22nd August 2006, 14:31   #14
BHPian

My personal choice would be the adventure for:
1)Butch looks...
2)The magnificient Pirelli's
3)Luggage space ...
4)Offroading capability...what ever it may have...and
5)The street presence ...of the two.

and last but not the least...listen to your heart if you love cars and don't mind +/- 0.5 diff in kpl of both the choices.Thats what I did when I bought my S-10.
Incase you need to know more of Adventure as a whole,one my friends owns it in Pune.Incase you are interested will give his no.
Old 22nd August 2006, 15:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be Adventure (Presence, service support and looks etc).

But it will be worthwhile to know that the Petra is a faster and more agile car, meaning quicker in a straightline and behaves much better through the corners. So as far as "just" driving pleasure goes Petra will win.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks