Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 09:02   #76
NGM
BHPian

Re: Which VW Vento DSG - TDI or TSI?

With VW given better discounts on Diesel, the price of TDI is almost near to TSI. In that scenario which one will is better to go for comparing the long term maintenance cost. from this forum what i can see it is almost similar in nature for maintenance cost.
Is my understanding correct?

Also i think VW will not have TDI in lineup post BS6 in April2020. Will that affect availability of spares say after 5 years which will make it difficult to maintain?
Old 24th November 2019, 16:54   #77
BHPian

I have used the Vento TDI for 30000Km. When I drove the 1.2 TSI Polo GT I felt the engine simply had a better response and pickup. I felt 1.2 TSI is a better choice. The TDI obviously has no issues pulling a fully loaded car uphill. I have driven the TSI engine only on a flat road in city but it did not feel like it would struggle when loaded. You can take a TD especially on hill just to be sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

I was more interested in the TSI but it is disheartening to know that the car will struggle with a full load on highway. After spending 15+ lakhs on a car, I would expect decent highway performance. I guess the City is the best petrol car at least with respect to performance in the 15L bracket. Also, City comes with 6 airbags which neither VW/Skoda offers.
The vento TSI has a higher torque (175NM) than city (141NM). How could Vento not pull when city can? Is power delivery that bad in Vento?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th November 2019 at 18:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 14:35   #78
BHPian

I have a Vento TDI (Manual Highline) - driven 165,000/- kms on same and counting. I have driven the car over varied terrain under full load - be it hills of Uttarakhand, Himachal, J&K, Sikkim, Or down south in Nilgiris, western ghat with family in full load. The Vento can easily pull across any scenario, there was ambit a single incident where my Vento felt underpowered. In fact, during one of my last trips to Tirthan valley in Himachal, my Vento already had 140K up on odometer, yet worked flawlessly across expressway, hills and otherwise with ac and full load of passenger (5 adults, 2 kids, and boot full to the hilt).
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
I felt 1.2 TSI is a better choice. The TDI obviously has no issues pulling a fully loaded car uphill. I have driven the TSI engine only on a flat road in city but it did not feel like it would struggle when loaded. You can take a TD especially on hill just to be sure.
I felt the Polo GT TSi and more so the Vento TSI will struggle going up hills with full load. The humongous torque in diesel helps a heavy car like Vento climb uphills with ease. However, the GT TSI with 4/5 passengers and boot filled with luggage will struggle. Even if it does the job, there will be strain on the engine and the mileage will drop drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
The vento TSI has a higher torque (175NM) than city (141NM). How could Vento not pull when city can? Is power delivery that bad in Vento?
City is lighter than Vento. May be this is the reason he must have felt City pulled better than the Vento.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 20:15   #80
BHPian

From a maintenance perspective - considering DSG - I would recommend a wet clutch DSG. The TDi i believe has the wet clutch DSG. The overheating that happens in stop start traffic that we typically experience is lower due to the oil.
Another key aspect - the VW Diesels are frugal if driven well. My Superb gives an FE of 21/22 Pune to Mumbai (Highway plus traffic) with a heavy foot.
Old 16th January 2020, 20:27   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
From a maintenance perspective - considering DSG - I would recommend a wet clutch DSG. The TDi i believe has the wet clutch DSG. The overheating that happens in stop start traffic that we typically experience is lower due to the oil.
Another key aspect - the VW Diesels are frugal if driven well. My Superb gives an FE of 21/22 Pune to Mumbai (Highway plus traffic) with a heavy foot.
My understanding was that the TSI and TDI had the same dsg gearbox. Is that not so?
Old 16th January 2020, 20:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
My understanding was that the TSI and TDI had the same dsg gearbox. Is that not so?
I just checked and yes thats correct! Both have the 7 speed DSG. I would then recommend the Manual for peace of mind. Though they have sorted out the issues apparently, but still I have my reservations with the Dry clutch DSG.
Old 16th January 2020, 21:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I just checked and yes thats correct! Both have the 7 speed DSG. I would then recommend the Manual for peace of mind. Though they have sorted out the issues apparently, but still I have my reservations with the Dry clutch DSG.
Have you heard or read of any major issues recently? VW has done a brilliant job at making the DSG reliable. Just because they screwed up in the past, they should not be judged the same way today. It was a learning phase for them and even then they gave full support during a breakdown.

They have also given a 7 years warranty now. One would be really missing the best automatic if they go by such past notions been continued even today.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed