Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2019, 20:45   #61
BHPian

Re: Which VW Vento DSG - TDI or TSI?

Go for the Vento TSI, my uncle has it and i use it rather frequently as he is old and i help him for his errands.It is an amazing motor at that price point. I test drove a TDI but did not find it as exciting as the TSI at higher RPM's.It is the best motor+transmission combo for that price.
As for the DSG now there is extended warranty so those worries can be kept aside. The DSG jerks are solved by using speed 97 gas. Also buy 2 bottles of Gummy pflege as the car rattles a lot.
Old 14th May 2019, 14:41   #62
BHPian

Welcome to 2019! This thread has stood the test of time and still holds true today.

If you're looking for a practical automatic driver's car under 13L (ex-showroom) and you've arrived at the conclusion that only Vento TSI/TDI or Rapid TDI fits the bill, then read on.

I will be talking about Vento TSI and Rapid TDI and not Vento TDI because in my opinion Rapid looks more modern and updated than Vento. If Rapid came with a TSI engine, this would have been a no-brainer.

So, Vento TSI or Rapid TDI?

Yes, both the cars are built on the exact same platform but Skoda and Volkswagen have different differentiators for both cars which are invisible to the naked eye.

Vento TSI (Highline Plus) -

Pros:
- 1.2 TSI engine is way peppier than the 1.5 TDI. It's much more suited for bumper-to-bumper traffic.
- More boot space (494 L) compared to Rapid (460 L).
- Comes with full LED headlamps which make the car seem from a segment above.
- Comes with a flat bottom steering wheel, which is a delight to hold.

Cons:
- No auto headlamps, only auto-levelling - unlike Rapid.
- Lesser rear passenger space than Rapid.

Rapid TDI (Style) -

Pros:
- Looks smashing compared to Vento which looks a decade old (but gracefully aged).
- More space for rear passengers when compared to Vento (which has prioritized boot space over this).
- Auto headlamps, but not auto-levelling - unlike Vento.

Cons:
- Low end lag becomes borderline irritating after driving the TSI.
- No LED headlamps - unlike Vento.
- No flat bottom steering wheel (only available in special editions like Monte Carlo and Onyx but not in top end variant) which lacks feel and feedback.
- Controls only on the left side of the steering, unlike Vento which comes with more controls on both sides of the steering.

These differences add unnecessary confusion since both the vehicles are almost mechanically identical. But there is more -
- Rapid might come with a TSI engine next year, as speculated by different Skoda dealerships.
- On one hand, there is news of Volkswagen merging its India operations in Skoda, and on the other Volkswagen plans on getting T-Roc, T-Cross, Virtus to the market, where is this really heading?

Anyhow, there are mouth-watering offers on both the vehicles right now. I have the following quotes (on-road, Bangalore) for the top-end models, without insurance -
- 14.7 L for Volkswagen Vento TSI Highline Plus
- 15.5 L for Skoda Rapid TDI Style

I'm crazy confused on which to pick - the one which drives great and looks nice, or the one which looks great and drives nice. Suggestions?
Old 14th May 2019, 14:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post

I'm crazy confused on which to pick - the one which drives great and looks nice, or the one which looks great and drives nice. Suggestions?
I think you should prioritize the engine instead of the said features as these being VAG cars have solutions for those shortcomings in the OEM way.
Agreed the Rapid looks a bit more sporty, but the Vento has a charm of it's own IMO. Also the difference in rear seat and trunk space was new information for me. Is it a significant difference?

From what I understand, you like the TSI better to drive, so I would suggest to go ahead with it and do some mods to make it to your taste.
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 15:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Vento H+ because:

1. Proven 1.2 TSI at the end of its life-cycle
2. Petrol so no worries on BLR NGT knee-jerk rulings
3. Mini Jetta/Passat looks
4. VW service arguably better than Skoda in BLR
5. Auto head lamps a feature one can live without
6. Flat bottomed steering wheel with full controls
7. Cheaper to buy and probably better resale (if it matters to you)
8. The Rapid looks too much like an Octavia - unlike the Vento which looks more unique.
9. Colour also makes a big difference - which will look better in which colour?

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th May 2019 at 16:05.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 20:29   #65
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
W
- 14.7 L for Volkswagen Vento TSI Highline Plus
- 15.5 L for Skoda Rapid TDI Style

I own both Polo GT TSI and GT TDI. The TSI is any day more fun to drive car than the diesel. I'd prefer Vento TSI over Rapid TDI. For the additional 80 K you saved, you can upgrade the Vento's suspension to Bilstein B6, which will make the car dynamically superior to the Rapid. Auto headlight options are available in Aliexpress for just Rs. 2.5k as well https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297...5-eb5b32263488
anb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:00   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post
Also the difference in rear seat and trunk space was new information for me. Is it a significant difference?

From what I understand, you like the TSI better to drive, so I would suggest to go ahead with it and do some mods to make it to your taste.
Yes, there's a visible difference in rear seat space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Vento H+ because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I own both Polo GT TSI and GT TDI. The TSI is any day more fun to drive car than the diesel. I'd prefer Vento TSI over Rapid TDI.
You guys are awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I've booked the Vento TSI Highline Plus
kubectl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 21:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I am looking at the Rapid and Vento for my next car.
The main reason for considering the Vento is the TSI motor but the Rapid looks so much better. I have not decided petrol or diesel yet but I am sure if it's the diesel, then I will go for the Rapid. So, it is between the Vento TSI and Rapid TDI.
Apart from the engine and looks, what are the key differences between these cars? I guess Vento has more features like LED headlights, UV-cut glass, cornering lights. Anything else I am missing?

Also, what are the chances of a new Rapid coming with a TSI engine in the near future? I am sure Skoda wont discontinue the Rapid after Q1 2020. Rapid withe TSI engine and 6 airbags will be the car to beat in this segment. I hope it happens soon which will make my decision easier.
Old 21st September 2019, 07:28   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Also, what are the chances of a new Rapid coming with a TSI engine in the near future? I am sure Skoda wont discontinue the Rapid after Q1 2020. Rapid withe TSI engine and 6 airbags will be the car to beat in this segment. I hope it happens soon which will make my decision easier.
I think both are evenly matched on features now. Rapid definitely looks better. The TSI is definitely a more enjoyable car and would be my preference. There have been rumours of the rapid coming with the TSI DSG combo but seems to have never happened.
Old 21st September 2019, 09:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think both are evenly matched on features now. Rapid definitely looks better. The TSI is definitely a more enjoyable car and would be my preference. There have been rumours of the rapid coming with the TSI DSG combo but seems to have never happened.
As per autocar india, they will launch 1.0 TSI with dsg in 2020. Current 1.6 MPI is not BS6 compliant.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:01   #70
BHPian

I own a rapid DSG, was in similar situation last year. For city:highway ratio:
10:90 - DSG TDI.
90:10 - DSG TSI.
50:50 - DSG TSI

The diesel is rough and loud at low speeds, pain in traffic due to the lag. The TSI is smooth and runs out of steam on the highway when fully loaded with passengers and luggage.

The Skoda TDI has better sound insulation than VW. The suspension setup is better sorted on the Skoda, pitching at high speeds is less when compared to VW.

Last edited by manson : 21st September 2019 at 12:47. Reason: Typo.
Mr_Bean is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 11:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't think so. As I mentioned, the Vento is more loaded with features as mentioned above. The Rapid looks awesome particularly the Monte Carlo edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
As per autocar india, they will launch 1.0 TSI with dsg in 2020. Current 1.6 MPI is not BS6 compliant.
I am expecting the same and thanks for sharing. I don't know how the small 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI will perform with respect to the 1.2 TSI though power figures are similar. Any tentative timelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I own a rapid DSG, was in similar situation last year. For city:highway ratio:
10:90 - DSG TDI.
90:10 - DSG TSI.
50:50 - DSG TSI

The diesel is rough and loud at low speeds, pain to traffic in traffic due to the lag. The TSI is smooth and runs out of steam on the highway when fully loaded with passengers and luggage.

The skoda TDI has better sound insulation than VW. The suspension setup is better sorted on the Skoda, pitching at high speeds is less when compared to VW.
Thanks for sharing. I have driven the Vento 1.5 diesel and I could not stand the diesel clatter and harshness. So, I will have to rule it out I guess. I was more interested in the TSI but it is disheartening to know that the car will struggle with a full load on highway. After spending 15+ lakhs on a car, I would expect decent highway performance. I guess the City is the best petrol car at least with respect to performance in the 15L bracket. Also, City comes with 6 airbags which neither VW/Skoda offers.

But having used the old-gen Jazz for 9 years, I find the build quality and interior quality of the City a step down. Also, the noise insulation, ride quality and suspension are not a match to the VW/Skoda cars. Another reason why I would prefer a Vento/Rapid over the City is due to the solid underbody protection in VW/SKoda cars which gives more confidence to go over bad roads. I guess VW/SKoda will need one more facelift or a new model to bring in the latest features and offer stiff competition to the City and Verna

Last edited by adimicra : 21st September 2019 at 11:18.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 11:40   #72
BHPian

A good thread to have some inputs on a long unsatiated curiosity.

I own a Vento 1.6 MPI and Ameo DSG. I have driven the old as well as new Rapid TDI MT and DSG multiple times.

Always when I compare them, I feel the quality of materials used with Rapid is a level below the Vento. When you sit inside both, Vento feels a lot more better built than the Rapid.

Even the DSG with chrome on Vento looks far more premium than the Rapid's hard plastic. The modifications given to Monte Carlo feel after market to me however the Onyx is a looker.

The flat bottom steering wheel with VW logo makes it feel richer and sportier than the Skoda's steering wheel. The center console is better fitted in the Vento than the Rapid. To a naked eye, they both look the same but try spending some time with meticulous observation and you shall see the difference.

When it comes to driving, Rapid with a stiffer suspension has better corner devouring ability.

After sales service of both are worst. Best among the worse is Volkswagen because of its better presence and availability. However for metro dwellers, Skoda makes more sense with their added warranty and service packages. Mind you, Skoda's after sales service and management is nastier than that of VW.

VW has better resale value than that of Skoda.

This is not VW vs Skoda, but if you don't mind a softer suspension (which can be altered) then a Vento TDI is a better proposition than Rapid TDI.

Vento TSI is excellent but with 4 on board with luggage on highways and incline it will disappoint you. TDI DSG has superlative mileage, so a lot more savings on fuel expenditure. Once the engine warms up and is kept above 2000 RPM, you can hardly feel any difference between TDI and TSI.

If TSI is the choice then Polo GT TSI is a better pick than the Vento. It is more fun, chuck able in corners and traffic and above all looks sportier!

Last edited by VWAllstar : 21st September 2019 at 11:42.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 12:57   #73
BHPian

Quote:
I am expecting the same and thanks for sharing. I don't know how the small 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI will perform with respect to the 1.2 TSI though power figures are similar. Any tentative timelines
It must come before April 2020 because of BS6. 1.0 TSI is nowhere as good as 1.2 TSI as per the international forums. VW is promoting it only because it is more profitable
Old 21st September 2019, 13:04   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have driven the Vento 1.5 diesel and I could not stand the diesel clatter and harshness. So, I will have to rule it out I guess.
Quote:
Also, City comes with 6 airbags which neither VW/Skoda offers.
Quote:
I find the build quality and interior quality of the City a step down.
Quote:
Also, the noise insulation, ride quality and suspension are not a match to the VW/Skoda cars.
If you can live with a lighter steering, the Verna SX (O) 1.6 CRDI Automatic should be able to address all of the above shortcomings of the City, Vento and Rapid! The interior quality is a step down from the first generation 2011 Verna Fluidic but still seems much better than the City.
Old 21st September 2019, 15:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Sorry but Verna is not even in consideration. I dont like steering and handling of Hyundai cars at all. Also, rear seat of the Verna is not a nice place to be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks