Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 16:32   #1

Need low recurring cost car

ahoy there experts. Hope u guys have th time to help out here.
im new here and thinking of a new 6- 8 lac new car to take over from my ageing suzuki zen. I dont like the SUV's, only cars. Travel 60 ks a day in pune on pathetic roads, so i want a car that wont break down and make a hole in my wallet every two months with suspension and other stuff needing atention. Low on maintenance cost is something I really consider important in my car, most of the time im gonna travel solo, only out for social stuff with my better half some evenings. i drive slow and never get out on the highways. Have shortlisted a new Suzuki Baleno (wife finds it boring- i love it), or new Honda city ( wife loves it, i cant stand it), or new ford fiesta. Also thinking of a second hand lancer or second hand skoda.
Do you think there is anything better to consider? Or which is the best of this list.....thank you
Old 29th August 2006, 16:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Going by the past expiriences and JD power surveys, Maruti, Honda, toyota and Hyundai make the most reliable cars.
If you want really low fuel cost too, you can go for the Accent verna crdi when it is launched. Its an able performer.
Between Baleno and City, there is the debate of old vs new. Things like "Do I really need to put in so much extra" come in.
but since your wife likes the City, if you go for one of the two, go for the city, its better to be unhappy than have an unhappy backseat driver

As for second hand cars, maintainance costs will pinch you, esp in case of skoda as parts are very expensive. It will be very reliable, but then you cant trust how the older owner has treated the cars.

Honda city and baleno both will not dissapoint you, and since you are more of a sedate city driver you dont really need the horses. Honda city will give better mileage too(though that depends a lot on driving style)
Old 29th August 2006, 16:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hi there Vark.

Considering your need for low maintainance, my suggestion would be -
The Chevy Optra 1.6: Its being offered with a 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and free service holiday which includes all consumables as well. You really can't get a better deal than that! You basically will have to pay for only fuel for 3 years.
Old 29th August 2006, 16:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

no recurring costs implies you stay away from used cars and stick to a suzuki or a honda.
you and your better half just have to sit down and sort out who loves who more

manson.
Old 29th August 2006, 17:01   #5
BANNED

Man...went to Pune a couple of weeks ago...for those kind of roads there's only one car built - Ambassador!
Old 29th August 2006, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with Rtech- Go for the Optra-It may not be as reliable as a honda(then again, it may be!) but u do get a service holiday for 3 years.

Another car u can consider is the Elantra GT- fits nicely in your budget, very comfortable and ideally suited to your driving style. Hyundais are pretty reliable and their service IMHO is the best in the country-yes, better than Maruti.
Old 29th August 2006, 18:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your original choices, the Honda City and the M Baleno, are both good cars that fit your needs. You may also want to consider the Elantra (check out Tadukuttan's review) which has C-Segment maintenance costs.
Old 29th August 2006, 18:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey vark2551,

Why don't you also look at Indigo Diesel ?
Since you travel 60k/day diesel would make sense, and Indigo has great seating comfort.
Last but not least being TATA it will keep you happy on maintenance front.

If you are not looking at Indigo then Optra's deal is too tempting.
Old 29th August 2006, 19:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
I would agree with Rtech- Go for the Optra-It may not be as reliable as a honda(then again, it may be!) but u do get a service holiday for 3 years.

Another car u can consider is the Elantra GT- fits nicely in your budget, very comfortable and ideally suited to your driving style. Hyundais are pretty reliable and their service IMHO is the best in the country-yes, better than Maruti.
Okay .. you get service holiday for 3 yrs but what about spares. Are they as cheap as Maruti ? Should not we look into the overall owenership cost? as he is worried about recurring cost at first place. Guyz please suggest.
Old 29th August 2006, 19:59   #10
Team-BHP Support

3 months holiday means no cost for spares etc., unless you turn it into a boat or bang it somewhere. So its a good deal. But IIRC there is a 45000 or so kms limit, with his running of 2000kms a month this will be breached in 2 years, and if he plans to keep it for 5 years, then maruti/hyundai are the way to go as they make the cheapest spares.
elantra's 4 yr/80000 kms warranty seems a pretty good deal in this case.
Old 29th August 2006, 20:12   #11
BHPian

Play it safe with Maruti if you need the lowest recurring cost.

A 2nd hand Honda ctiy is good.

But I really am out of choices to suggest for Pune roads!!
Sincere appreciation on the driving skills and the patience to all you guys out there.
Old 29th August 2006, 20:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
3 months holiday means no cost for spares etc., unless you turn it into a boat or bang it somewhere.
3 yrs, Tanveer ..

A service holiday wouldnt be for spares - should be more for labor charges. Any parts covered would be for manufacturing defects, and not for wear and tear. Any damage due to running on bad roads would be categorized as the latter. ... Unless, like with BMW etc, elsewhere, it is specifically mentioned so.

Which ever car you go for, pls do check what's included in the extended warranty. At the very least, you will know what's covered and what's not. And no surprises later.

Last edited by condor : 29th August 2006 at 20:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks