Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 12:30   #1
BHPian

Hi!

I planned to buy a used Baleno/Palio with a budget of 4lacs. I use it mostly on the weekends and usage is less than 1000km per month. I am located in Bangalore. I am a tall person at 6.2'', and want to have a Car with good space. This is my first car. I have done a lot research before narrowing my choice to Baleno/Palio. The usage is mostly on City Roads, but occasionally I plan to take it out for sightseeing.

I came across a marutitruevalue certified Baleno Altura. This car is 2001 model, and ran for about 35,000 km. The price quoted is 3,60,000/-. I am quite excited about it loved ot own this car.

I would like to know your opinions on this deal. I don't know anybody having a Baleno Altura, but I read a lot of positive reviews about it. However, I am a bit worried about the maintenance, since it is not in active production. I don't want to depend too much upon the salesman's word. I highly appreciate your advice and opinions in this regard.

Thanks,
Mohan.
Old 30th August 2006, 13:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think you are very lucky, the altura is a stunner. regarding the price, i think it is a good deal too. maintenance wise, just forget it, it is a maruti. it will live for as long as you live & it wont burn your pocket either. so, my advice would be to go ahead, take it, before someone else does(That could be me).
Old 30th August 2006, 13:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, I am a bit worried about the maintenance, since it is not in active production.
Mechanically, the Altura is identical to the Baleno sedan, so spares here should not be a problem. However, in case of rear damage to the lights and greenhouse, it could be a problem getting replacements. I'm sure you would get them, but it may take longer than usual.

Best to make a few anonymous calls to a couple of Maruti service centres and pretend to be a customer who needs replacement tail lamps and rear windscreen for the Baleno. See what they say.
Old 30th August 2006, 14:21   #4
BHPian

Hi Varma,
Excellent piece of advice by Rtech.Just do that to have the first hand feedback.I personally bought Baleno sedan after going thru feedback posted at TBHP.I can assure you this is a gem of a vehicle and it will never trouble you in terms of maintenance.Since it is certified by Maruti truevalue you have that extra peace of mind.Just go ahead.
Regards,
Debasis
Old 30th August 2006, 14:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Best to make a few anonymous calls to a couple of Maruti service centres and pretend to be a customer who needs replacement tail lamps and rear windscreen for the Baleno. See what they say.
Really cool idea.

Estate models have not been very successful in India and we very rarely get to see a Baleno Altura.
Old 30th August 2006, 14:47   #6
BHPian

Though I'm not a Maruti fan,... I would second everyone on this thread about your decision.

An estate in India is rarely accepted as a family car.

But go for it, you will love it and it will surely suit your needs.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:17   #7
BHPian

Expensive?

Admitted that the Baleno Altura is a big car, and it's bulletproof.
But isnt 3.6 too expensive for a 5 year old car? Just thinking aloud.

Also reading recent threads about odometer manipulation and this mostly happening at Resellers has sent warning bells ringing in my head!
Superavi

Last edited by superavi : 30th August 2006 at 15:21.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:18   #8
BHPian

I love the looks of the Altura. Bargain the price down a bit. Check the suspension to see if it has been abused with heavy loads, and go for it!
Old 30th August 2006, 19:33   #9
BHPian

Rs 360000 for 2001 altura is not a fair price even if it is a maruti true value car.
Old 30th August 2006, 20:25   #10
BHPian

i bought a 2002 june baleno VXi fully loaded car for 3.1 in april, i guess price wise its 20-30k overboard.
Old 30th August 2006, 20:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls do the standard checks that you would do when buying a used car, even if it is from TrueValue. If you can spot anything that can help you drive down the cost, then great. Else still try get a better price / or something else thrown in.

Mechanically, it is almost the Baleno. Just the body style is different. Reg one-off stuff like tail-lights, you could even keep a spare set with you, just in case.

And the estate / station wagon can be very useful esp when travelling. We have a Marina, and am finding it hard to find a replacement that can carry extra cargo when needed and still be used as a family car.
Old 1st September 2006, 11:11   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys!

Hi Guys!

Thanks a lot for you comments. Unfortunately, this car is already snatched by somebody else (Is it you esteem_lover?). I havn't even got a day to decide.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Mohan.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
i bought a 2002 june baleno VXi fully loaded car for 3.1 in april, i guess price wise its 20-30k overboard.
But then 2nd hand cars come cheap in Delhi (Bombay too), while B'lore is pretty costly.
Old 1st September 2006, 13:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma
Hi Guys!

Thanks a lot for you comments. Unfortunately, this car is already snatched by somebody else (Is it you esteem_lover?). I havn't even got a day to decide.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Mohan.
ha ha ha....(I feel like saying I told you so)....nope, someone must have beaten me to it. really, it is a gorgeous car. i would love to lay my hands on one of them. try to find another one. good luck.
Old 1st September 2006, 14:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma
Unfortunately, this car is already snatched by somebody else
that's bad,... but is common, good worms are for the quick birds.

dont lose hope, keep looking.

all the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks