Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:42   #16
BHPian

re: New Skoda Octavia or Pre-owned BMW F30 320d. EDIT: New 320d booked

I am in the same boat, only thing tilting the decision in (slight) favour of the skoda (1.8 TSI) is that pre owned 2014 BMWs are few and far. If you get a good used beemer, go for it !
arpandiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered New Skoda Yeti? If you like the looks though subjective:
Since you've apprehensions about the broken roads that you drive etc.
This would be more convenient for your elderly parents for Ingress/Egress.
You get a Multilink rear suspension.
Options of both 4*2 & 4*4.
Better discounts as well.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'm kind-of in a similar situation, started from looking at a Jetta, to 1 Series now looking at used BMW's. If you will be driving the car around a lot on broken roads both of them have a chance to get bad. Just make sure you have full BSI and a dealer nearby, then you wont have to spend a penny on maintenance. Also as mentioned earlier, you can buy BSI anytime before 2 years from date of purchase.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:11   #19
BHPian

I am also in the market with similar situation, and on paper Octavia looks damn tempting.

However, I am a little skeptical of its product life-cycle, considering it launched back in Oct 2013. The model would be almost 2 years old and might be due for replacement soon?
Monaro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The Octavia seems to be sheer value but your heart seems to be crying for the 3! If you get a good one around 1 year/20,000 km used, the price may be quite close to the new Octy and that will be a deal hard to match.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Skoda Octavia or Pre owned BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
I am also in the market with similar situation, and on paper Octavia looks damn tempting.

However, I am a little skeptical of its product life-cycle, considering it launched back in Oct 2013. The model would be almost 2 years old and might be due for replacement soon?
Not replacement but only facelift planned for 2017 probably. The Octavia is built on the brand new MQB platform with MDB engines so this will not change at least till 2019 or so IMHO.
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:50   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, cars are getting so expensive. It's hard to believe that a new Octavia diesel costs 25 big ones!

Firstly, I think you are comparing the wrong cars.

1. With reference to the new Octavia, I would say the Jetta is a superior car. It's got a more solid build (unlike the Octavia that is built on a cheaper & lighter MQB platform) and a superior multi-link rear suspension (Octavia uses a cheap torsion beam rear). I've driven on the same hilly section in my brother's Jetta & the media Octavia and let me tell you, there is a BIG difference. The Jetta's road manners are so much better.

2. With reference to the BMW, don't look at a 2014 car. They haven't yet depreciated. Consider instead a 2013 that is still within factory warranty, pay 1.5 lakhs for a 6 year warranty and you're all set (related thread (Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms))).

A 2013 320d will be a superior car in nearly every which way to a Skoda Octavia. There is no comparison. Plus, a 2013 can be had for the same price as a new Octavia and the extended warranty makes it as fuss-free to own. Yes, you will pay more for services & maintenance though.

Quote:
When did 2 years become old? IMHO, the Octavia is still very fresh and the same model will be in production for another 3 years at least, if not 4.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Consider instead a 2013 that is still within factory warranty, pay 1.5 lakhs for a 6 year warranty and you're all set (related thread (Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms))).
A little bit OT but I was referring to the table (I think the 320D should be listed under F3x and 4 cyl) and saw a plan of 156900 covering 6 years and 120 K kms. Is this 6 years and 120 k kms from the date of purchase or 6 years / 120 k beyond the standard 2 yaer warranty. I guess this plan does not cover service like the one on your car. The same plan on a 6 cylinder 5 series is a whopping 387000.
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

max fun: octy 1.8 tsi
fun + badge: bmw 320d
sensible: 2.0 tdi

like others have said, it really depends on your priorities. for maximum driving pleasure it is 1.8 tsi for me. of course the build quality, handling etc are definitely better in bmw but i feel tsi is far more special and it is in my wish list.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

So i dedicated my whole day for car search and took dad along to show him the Octavia, Jetta and a pre owned BMW 320D. Octavia was a hit with dad, he loved the roomy airy cabin, was comfortable at driver seat and loved the memory function (he drives with seat height at height and i drive at lowest so it is a big chore for both of us). Dealership experience was pathetic (Fahrenheit Delhi), the sales advisor Ms. Kanchan was least interested in selling the car and we walked away very unimpressed fearing what the after sales would be.

After reading so many positive reviews about TSi, i am planning to reconsider going for the TDi considering the 10 year diesel ban lingering on but at an expected average running of 16-18k per year, petrol costs would kill me.

Jetta's exteriors won me over but the interiors felt tight on space and the dash design was very uninspiring. Octavia gives a full sized spare wheel while VW have shifted to a thin space saver for Jetta. Volkswagen is also offering 40-50k discounts so it is also a great deal.

Then we drove to a dealer to see the 320D, car was well maintained (brought to the dealer by the owner's driver) and showed 11900 on ODO, i checked the I-Drive and it showed service in 50 miles , this guy has not bought extended warranty, not even completed first service and once i checked carefully, the setting was done to show miles. I changed it to km's and now the real reading was 17700 and the dealer was red faced. This is how these guys cheat people. He demanded 30 lakhs for this Oct, 2014 BMW 320D luxury line which had done 18k, no bsi or extended warranty, insurance+ first service due so it was a lot pricier and his demand was way overboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hey buddy i have been in
Also do consider the cost of maintaining the BMW which would definitely be higher than the Octavia even with the BSI and Secure.
Thanks for sharing your views. I know that buying a BMW without BSI is a big risk especially after 2-3 years when the suspension/brake parts would start acting up. Wish i could go for the TSi motor, it is pure bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Have they launched the extended warranty programme? Last I checked the added 2 years warranty was not launched by them. Or am I missing something? Please update me on this buddy.
They do have the extended warranty buddy, 21k for 2 years and it is a very nominal amount compared to VW who are charging 47k for 2 year warranty. VW is charging even more than what BMW asks for their 320D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
What can we say. The 320D is purely a heaven to drive and the best ever road car. At the same time the Skoda aint a bad car and the new TSI is also a fantastic car to drive. With the money you save, you can actully not worry about their pathetic service. Their service is pathetic when skoda has to pay out of the pocket under warranty etc.
Thanks, VAG is very stingy when it comes to warranty claims and i have already experienced that. Wish i could go for the TSi motor, it is heavenly. Hope i can find a good 3 series before i get tired and book a new Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Well in this situation since you mentioned the car is also going to be used by your family, it would be better to go in for something which is more reliable and gives you peace of mind.
If I were you, I would go in for the new Skoda as I would want peace of mind and above all I would not like to see the elders in my family suffer/ go through any inconvenience because of my decision if there is a break down or any issues with the car.
Thanks, agree with your thoughts. Parents would not be comfortable in the back seat of 320D as the legroom is less and i also found the seats to be extremely firm. The dilemma is that 3 series was so good to drive that am still keeping my options open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Since you are considering whole host cars across a broad price range, have you considered pre-owned Volvos too?
I have seen that BMW dealerships are more than happy to sell pre-owned cars for a good price. Check if they are ready to offer AMC, thats your best "insurance" for German reliability (pun intended).
Thanks. I did contact a few dealers for BMW premium selection cars but they mostly have 5 series on offer which i do not want. I am not going to buy a BMW without extended warranty, not even in my wildest dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
coolboy007, go for the Octavia TDI DSG with eyes closed and park the rest of the money in a mutual fund. Keep in mind that the TDI has an inferior suspension than the TSI. TD both and then take a call.
You Delhi guys are lucky - the BLR dealers are not giving even one rupee discount especially on the Anniversary Edition.
Do you have any pictures of the Rio Red? If so please post them; I have seen only one Rio Red Octavia so far in BLR!
Thanks for your vote buddy. Thought TSi is not an option for me, planning to get a test drive and then decide on how much difference there is between TDi vs TSi. One dealer i talked to is only offering discount on elegance and nothing on anniversary edition whereas the other one said they will offer discounts, hope he does not take his words back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
As suggested Octavia is more suited for your requirement as with Beemers with famous "hydrolock" during monsoon can be big issue. Also without BSI a pre-owned is a big no no. IMO you can purchase BSI as beemers comes with 2 years company warranty.
Thanks. BSI on a pre owned car would turn out to be very expensive, 2.5 lakh for 5 year plan is fine with a new car but for a 2 year old pre owned car, it turns out to be 2.5 lakh for 3 years maintenance which is way too much as BSI starts from day of sale. Hydrostatic lock could be an issue in hills as it rains crazy there in monsoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Why not consider VW Jetta in comparison to Octavia? The rear suspension set-up on Jetta TDI would be much better compared to Octavia TDI.
The only downside would be that Octavia is much more loaded in terms of features and on the anniversary edition.
Cheers,
Ardy
Thanks Ardy, i found the Jetta's interiors to be too similar to my 3 year old Vento. There was no wow feeling when i stepped inside it compared to when i stepped inside Octavia. Multi link is a big add on for Jetta though and the discounts are great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Get the 320d. No question about it. The driving experience will be far superior and its a better built car.
Thanks Akshay, true feedback from some one who owns both the brands. Skoda/VW are pathetic and i have really experienced this. How does this BSI and extended warranty on pre owned BMW's work. If i get a BSI package for 5 years on a 2 year old pre owned car, then it is only valid for 3 years and i lose 2 years right? Is BSI applicable from date of sale irrespective of when you purchase the plan? If we want only extended warranty but no BSI so the 5 year extended warranty will cost 70-80k and these 5 years start when the standard warranty ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
I am in the same boat, only thing tilting the decision in (slight) favour of the skoda (1.8 TSI) is that pre owned 2014 BMWs are few and far. If you get a good used beemer, go for it !
Thanks, finding a real, true odo, non accidental car is tough as all dealers are cheat here. They had the guts to switch the car to show miles and make me a fool.Trying to find a good deal or else will book Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Have you considered New Skoda Yeti? If you like the looks though subjective:
Since you've apprehensions about the broken roads that you drive etc.
This would be more convenient for your elderly parents for Ingress/Egress.
You get a Multilink rear suspension.
Options of both 4*2 & 4*4.
Better discounts as well.
Thanks, never liked that car and it is too expensive in the current avatar so even discounts would not help me. Yeti never struck the chord with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I'm kind-of in a similar situation, started from looking at a Jetta, to 1 Series now looking at used BMW's. If you will be driving the car around a lot on broken roads both of them have a chance to get bad. Just make sure you have full BSI and a dealer nearby, then you wont have to spend a penny on maintenance.
Are you buying from BMW dealership? How is the experience and how is the condition of BMW approved used cars?

Quote:
The car was launched just 2 years back buddy so it is still pretty new and this is not going to get replaced with some thing new in the distant future. Do not worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Octavia seems to be sheer value but your heart seems to be crying for the 3! If you get a good one around 1 year/20,000 km used, the price may be quite close to the new Octy and that will be a deal hard to match.
Thanks noopster and what you say is totally true. I love Octavia and the car is perfect for my needs, every thing is top notch but the kid in me still wants that damn BMW badge. This is so confusing, buying pre owned cars is so tough and we have never bought a pre owned car so all the more tough for us.

Quote:
A 2013 320d will be a superior car in nearly every which way to a Skoda Octavia. There is no comparison. Plus, a 2013 can be had for the same price as a new Octavia and the extended warranty makes it as fuss-free to own. Yes, you will pay more for services & maintenance though.
Thank GTO, what you say holds true and there is just no comparison between Octavia and 320D. BMW costs 20 lakhs more and it shows in each and every department. I have contacted a few dealers and going once more to search for a good car. If i buy a 5 year extended warranty package, those 5 years start from the end of standard warranty or date of sale. What kind of expense am looking at with a disc+pads change along with regular service. Normal oil change service costs around 20k is what am told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
max fun: octy 1.8 tsi
fun + badge: bmw 320d
sensible: 2.0 tdi
like others have said, it really depends on your priorities. for maximum driving pleasure it is 1.8 tsi for me. of course the build quality, handling etc are definitely better in bmw but i feel tsi is far more special and it is in my wish list.
Thanks, i did drive the 1.8 TSi few months back and i was blown away by the sheer fun it provides for 22 lakhs on road. It was a blast to drive, diesel was much more sober but with my expecting annual running around 16-18k, TSi would not be suitable.
If it is a Jetta/Octavia, has to be the 2.0 TDi.
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:37   #26
BHPian

Probably I'd have gone for a 320d, riding this machine is a sheer pleasure.
For 320d you may have to consider the depreciation cost as well, which is thoroughly explained by the experts in the link, please have a look once.

By the way, I am keenly following this thread, I will be more than interested to know your final decision on buying the car.
Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 15:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

New Skoda Octavia or Pre-owned BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Get the 320d. No question about it. The driving experience will be far superior and its a better

Quote:
Damn, cars are getting so expensive. It's hard to believe that a new Octavia diesel costs 25 big
A big special thanks to both of you Akshay and GTO to make me realise what i would have missed, had i not taken the 320D and opted for Octavia instead. Pondered a lot over it and finally gave in to my heart, BOOKED a black 320D prestige from BMW Chandigarh, they offered me a deal i could not resist and i travelled 500 kms to n fro to inspect the car and pay the booking amount. I thought about it a lot and in the end, 8 lacs over Octavia were well worth it, that too for a 2015 model.

Loan formalities should take 2-3 days so i will have my dream ride within a week, so excited and am sure to have sleepless nights till i get the car.

Thanks to Akshay, GTO, drmohitg, abhinav gupta, shreyak, lamborghini, sunilrj, zombiedriver and suman for patiently answering all my queries.

MODS: please change the title to New 320D it is - Hell Yeah

Last edited by coolboy007 : 25th September 2015 at 15:17.
coolboy007 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:49   #28
BHPian

Re: New Skoda Octavia or Pre-owned BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
A big special thanks to both of you Akshay and GTO to make me realise what i would have missed, had i not taken the 320D and opted for Octavia instead.
Congratulations! Waiting to see your ownership report. Can you please PM to me about the dealer and the deal. I am also in a similar situation to decide between 1.8 TSI and BMW 320D. Thanks.

Last edited by Fstlndrive : 25th September 2015 at 17:50. Reason: correcting spelling mistakes
Fstlndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 18:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A big special thanks to both of you Akshay and GTO to make me realise what i would have missed, had i not taken the 320D and opted for Octavia instead. Pondered a lot over it and finally gave in to my heart, BOOKED a black 320D prestige from BMW Chandigarh, they offered me a deal i could not resist and i travelled 500 kms to n fro to inspect the car and pay the booking amount. I thought about it a lot and in the end, 8 lacs over Octavia were well worth it, that too for a 2015 model.

Loan formalities should take 2-3 days so i will have my dream ride within a week, so excited and am sure to have sleepless nights till i get the car.

Thanks to Akshay, GTO, drmohitg, abhinav gupta, shreyak, lamborghini, sunilrj, zombiedriver and suman for patiently answering all my queries.

Boss, 8 lacs for a 3 series over an Octavia is nothing. You will not regret this decision. If you think about it, practically the BMW 3 series/Volvo S60 aren't in the same league as the new Mercedes C class (price wise). The goal post for this segment has shifted so much that you are still getting full sized entry luxury car for what are effectively prices equal to a segment lower.

Congo on a super decision! I bought Jetta CL Manual for around 17 earlier this year. And was not prepared to go above the 20 lakh mark for a car of this segment at any cost. At higher prices, there is just too much pull for the German trio
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 19:09   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BOOKED a black 320D prestige from BMW Chandigarh
We were in a similar dilemma a few years back choosing between the 320D Corporate variant v/s Skoda Laura 2.0 DSG!
We decided to go with the Laura as it had a lot more interior space, elephant sized boot (family packs heavy), replaceable regular tubeless tires, and was going to cost us almost 10 lacs less than the Beemer (after discount). Adding to the existing advantages, the dealership clubbed us the forgiving four year Skoda Shield, and we figured the Laura was going to be a perfect fit for our need of a D segment sedan.

Quote:
Congratulations, done
manson is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed