Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 17:54   #16
BHPian

The Lancer is a pretty good car. It is built tougher than the Baleno and even a two year older one will probably last longer than the Baleno. If you drive a lot and in narrow streets, the Baleno would be easier to handle, particularly with its smaller turning radius.
In any case, I do not think you are planning on keeping the car for 7-8 years (they are already 4-6 years old).
So, basically between the two choices, both are good cars to own. So, if FE (slightly better in Baleno) is not an issue, take your pick. You won't regret.
Old 13th September 2006, 18:47   #17
BHPian

Performance: Baleno
Looks: Lancer (SFX)

Its upto you to choose between the looks or performance !
Old 13th September 2006, 18:54   #18
BHPian

well Just to suggest you, Lancer can never be compared to a Baleno, Both cars are different and suit different needs.

Baleno, Has a slightly more powerful engine compared with Lancer 1396 cc, Response is not as pepped as the lancer, Shorter turning radius, Ac's are good in both machines, Space wise, Lancer and Baleno score more or less same, Suspension Lancer wins hands down, Handling..I rate the lancer more..Not being biased..!, Maintainence Lancer is more expensive..since all its spares are imported from Mitsubishi compared with Baleno which now has more Indian spares available..! Looks wise..You gotta be kidding if you score more points for a Baleno..! An SFXi lancer is as good looking as it was then, puts some cars to shame even now. Lancer's is a Low base rider compared with the Baleno..so it looks more sportier, Grips the road well..! FE wise Baleno is better off than a lancer by 10-15 % You get 9-11 on a Lancer and between 10-12 in a Baleno.

If its a Orignal Owner lancer and was well maitained, service records are available at all Lancer Workshops- Like Excell Motors has all my lancers details from a scew change to a Bumper change- Service records and all..Go check them out if available.

Sometimes its better to walk to a dealer ship and ask them for a good second hand car, Like Many user you are on a lancer exchange that for a Cedia..! I was offered to exchange our 2001 SFXi for a Cedia. For Baleno you can always rely on a True value system rather than a dealer.

Maintaince is the foremost thing, Obviously you cannot screen the car insides on how it has been treated, So take a trusted Mech or a Unbiased friend and look for anything and everything.

Finally Mitsubishi class vs Suzuki(Maruti) No comparision..! For your social gathering and social life..Lancer is your better partner.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 13th September 2006 at 19:00.
Old 13th September 2006, 19:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would say the Baleno since its got lower mileage, is a newer model and a good car. Plus the Lancer's are really expensive to maintain whereas the Baleno is comparatively cheaper.

I would say go for the Baleno add good ICE & a decent set of wheels & tyres & you are all set to go.
Old 13th September 2006, 20:59   #20
BHPian

So most of BHPians are in favour of Baleno.I,m going to see it tomorrow.Hope it is in as good condition as Lancer.
Old 13th September 2006, 23:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33
Hi everybody,

Please help me make decesion between two cars I have short listed.One is 2002 white Baleno.Single owner,38000 kms,available for 3 lac.Another is 2000 Lancer sfxi in yellow colour,45000 kms,single owner asking Rs2.85 lac.
As per my knowledge FE is almost same;but I don't know about maintenance cost and spares prices.
D-uh. Baleno. Lesser of the 2 evils
Old 14th September 2006, 04:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

How many who voted for baleno over lancer have axually driven both extensively to give a review?

I have been a proud owner for a lancer for over 3 years now. The best option at present is the 1.8 invecs that's going for 6.97 ex-shoroom.

lancer has a most refined and smooth engines.
Lancer a/c with rear vents cools evenly
Lancer handles better than baleno and even corolla.
Lancer looks much better
Lancer is marginally bigger

My very good friend runs Kataria Maruti suzuki showroom which can easily be considered among the biggest of the Maruti Dealerships in India. I have also driven the baleno considerably

Baleno a/c is good but cools unevenly at front and back
Performance is good. Aluminium engine responds well.
Maruti backup
new baleno's have climate control
Is cheaper to buy

Irrespective of what anyone says, both give similar fuel-efficiency figures and both cost similar to maintain.

I have a maruti WagonR too and believe me when I say the expenditure is similar on both the cars.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th September 2006 at 04:15.
Old 14th September 2006, 07:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Baleno would be my obvious choice. Excellent suspension to tackle those bad bad roads in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
How many who voted for baleno over lancer have axually driven both extensively to give a review?
Why do you have this overwhelming urge to question other's opinion, before stating your own ???
Old 14th September 2006, 10:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

your choice for baleno's suspension on bad roads over lancer proves my statement correct.

and i have not given any verdict. I left it for the buyer to decide.
Old 14th September 2006, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Baleno suspension is not as good as a lancers, Go ride it and see the difference.

@ Dev Bro..He's looking at a second hand purchase.
Old 14th September 2006, 13:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

OFF TOPIC POST ( Mods, please delete this post if appropriate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
your choice for baleno's suspension on bad roads over lancer proves my statement correct..
And how would my experience with the 2 cars prove that your statement is correct ?? Obviously, u cant read my mind..
Old 14th September 2006, 13:31   #27
BHPian

I think Burjis summed it up very well in his post. The Baleno would be the better choice.
Old 16th September 2006, 12:06   #28
BHPian

If the use is for weekend, social gatherings etc, it has to be a good looking car. Lancer SFXI looks very sporty and fits the bill. Baleno gives more peace of mind in terms of service and cost of spares making it much cheaper to maintain. To me both are equally good but maintenance costs on a second hand car needs to be kept in mind.
Old 18th September 2006, 16:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvanand
If the use is for weekend, social gatherings etc, it has to be a good looking car. Lancer SFXI looks very sporty and fits the bill. Baleno gives more peace of mind in terms of service and cost of spares making it much cheaper to maintain. To me both are equally good but maintenance costs on a second hand car needs to be kept in mind.
and the resale value, just to add to that....but Lancer is no way behind the baleno. it is as good, if not the better car here. just that we have this huge mental block on spending the extra few bucks that we often blind ourselves.

but the choice here is between 2 used cars out of which one is 2 years newer, which clearly has the advantage. we are not discussing which car is better. i think we can have a separate thread for that.
Old 18th September 2006, 19:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvanand
can you please tell me how you came to know that lancer is more expensive to maintain?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks