Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2006, 17:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

Sam found out & seems your dealer is right. The new offer is that officially the price of the Embera has been dropped to 12.45L and on top of that you're being offered a discount of 90k so that comes to 11.55L but this is the ex-showroom price. Adding the registeration, road tax etc. takes the price back to the 12.5L level or thereabouts. However, I did not ask him if there were any finance discounts available.

The Civic based on these Embera prices is nearly a lakh cheaper. I guess it's a tough choice & you can take your pick herer.
Old 29th October 2006, 17:22   #92
Senior - BHPian

hey sam,
this can happen in even one days time .the offers are from hyundai and they can stop it any time.and for the choice of color white looks classy in embera.and for a diesel embera -v6 crdi-will be out any time in dec -jan .worth waiting if you can shell 15-16 lacs.
Old 29th October 2006, 19:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
The Civic based on these Embera prices is nearly a lakh cheaper. I guess it's a tough choice & you can take your pick herer.
The choice should be Embera if you're not looking for higher FE and better looking interiors. Also the running costs of Embera including spare parts should be lower than Civic.
Old 30th October 2006, 07:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Also the running costs of Embera including spare parts should be lower than Civic.
Do you know this for a fact ?
Old 30th October 2006, 11:33   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Do you know this for a fact ?
Well, hyundai cars have generally lower cost of maintenance. If you want to see in particular just go to a hyundai and honda dealership and there is a list displaying labour costs. If you ask they'll give you the spare parts costs also.
Old 30th October 2006, 11:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78
Now after hearing from one of the top most Auto journalist(guys ,i was told not to disclose the identity ,since the guy very well knows about this website) i am thinking of dropping my idea ..

whats your say ???
Sam, no offense meant but .....that's my say! At the risk of sounding pompous, I'd just like to mention that this forum probably has more collective knowledge that the entire lot of "top most" auto journalists in India. But that's my opinion & I would just echo Godfather, Ishan & Rahul.........you need to make up your mind and look for an appropriate thread for tips because most of your options have been widely discussed.
Old 30th October 2006, 13:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78
hey guys ,after lot of negotiations, a hyundai dealership offered me a price tag of Rs. 11.3 lacs Onroad(finance discount excluded) and i was all prepared to buy embera but after few days when i went to their showroom ,i was told that the sales executive who was dealing with me has resigned ... after few rounds of hard talks they told me that they cannot offer me the same discounts cos Hyundai has stopped guving such discounts ... The best they told they could offer me was 12.5 lacs (this all happened in the period of 15 days) ...

I was too annoyed but could do nothing other than teaching them a nice,
hard lesson (i doubt they had ever heard such abusive language) .

Now i am waiting for the month december ,thats when i should be getting the discounts i 've been thinking of ..
But, i am still not sure whether i should be getting the CNG conversion done ... I had a word with an auto journalist (he is a member of the Autocar india magazine) and he strictly recommended me against it!
He said these cars(civic and embera) are complex, luxury cars ,therefore there are more of a chance of me facing problems with the car and as the warranty would be void ,it could burn a hole in my pocket ..

He said he is not against the CNG conversion but it should be done once the warranty of d car is over and from a approved center ..

Now after hearing from one of the top most Auto journalist(guys ,i was told not to disclose the identity ,since the guy very well knows about this website) i am thinking of dropping my idea ..

whats your say ???

Do you guys think the same and suggest me to buy a diesel car or is it worth going for the CNG conversion ?

The problem with the diesel car is that i dont find any of the cars suitable to me ...
1) Skoda octavia 1.9 tdi - Good car but looks dated and very high on maintainance ...

2) elantra - I drove this car last month ,found it very good but the interiors and exteriors put me off ...

I dont think theres any other diesel car in this segment ...
what should i do now ? totally confused
Thanks .
it is a wrong information that skoda has very high maitainance.i am using skoda 1.9Tdi done76000kms and having no complaints and no other irregular maintainance.It is a real good car to drive.Only fault if we want to say is lack of comfort on back seat.If you can compromise the looks then skoda is the best.This is my own experince.
Old 30th October 2006, 13:49   #98
Team-BHP Support

Sam,
As for CNG it is a fact that warranty will go kaput, and you may be looking at expensive maintainance.
So you have the following options
1. Elantra : Cheapest option. Spares and service is the cheapest
2. Skoda : Very well built, but spare parts are expensive. It is unlikely that something will go kaput, but if something does go kaput after warranty period you are in for high costs.
3, Wait for Embera crdi. Hyundai is offering such discounts because its not really selling very much. They are planning to come out with crdi versions to rock the market. That could be your best option if you are willing to pay around 14-15L
4. Civic Petrol : It will be more fuel effiecient than embera petrol, but cant come close to the running costs of a diesel.
Old 30th October 2006, 13:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The choice should be Embera if you're not looking for higher FE and better looking interiors.
FE is one of his main concerns and which initially prompted him to think CNG after buying a cool car (which to most of us here was a real uncool thing to do to a nice car - looks like we have been proven right). Given that requirement, I don't think the Embera stands a chance against the Civic. Also the Civic interiors / dash etc is IMO too good.

Quote:
Also the running costs of Embera including spare parts should be lower than Civic.
The Hyundais are generally cheaper in spares costs, when compared to cars in the same segment. But I dont think that holds when compared to cars a segment below. The Embera is more D-class (Accord being a peer), while the Civic is a slot below. So, without an actual comparison, I am not sure whether we can say that the Embera is cheaper in running costs than a Civic.
Old 31st October 2006, 16:41   #100
BHPian

Embera Diesel is getting launched by January 2007 isnt it? If its launching by that date it will be good to wait. If it comes around 14-15 lakhs you can stretch your budget if possible.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:37   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
FE is one of his main concerns and which initially prompted him to think CNG after buying a cool car (which to most of us here was a real uncool thing to do to a nice car - looks like we have been proven right). Given that requirement, I don't think the Embera stands a chance against the Civic. Also the Civic interiors / dash etc is IMO too good.

The Hyundais are generally cheaper in spares costs, when compared to cars in the same segment. But I dont think that holds when compared to cars a segment below. The Embera is more D-class (Accord being a peer), while the Civic is a slot below. So, without an actual comparison, I am not sure whether we can say that the Embera is cheaper in running costs than a Civic.
Interiors of City and Civic looks really good with a lot of excitement attached to it. But the real question is will these good looking things lasts long? Why I am asking is because I've seen in 2 Honda City cars the interior coatings in the dashboard peeled off. Both cars have run more than 30,000 kms. The owners are attributing this due to the big windshield of Honda City. According to them it allows too much of sun and heat inside (especially when parked) which caused this and also the A/c takes a bit long to cool the cabin.

The Autocar November edition has listed their annual spare parts cost survey. Hyundai Accent, Elantra, Sonata and Tucson has the cheapest spare parts in their segments. Also the aggregate spare parts cost of Sonata Embera is actually lesser than Civic. Some parts such as Air Filter, Fuel Filter are only a bit higher than Civic i.e. around 100 - 200 rupees more. The November edition is worth buying. Just have a look. The Honda City also has the cheapest prices in its segment.

Also they've said that Mercedes and Skoda refused to co-operate with this exercise initially. The reason is well understood.

There was a complaint from a Civic owner too. He was hearing loud rattling noises from the front side on his brand new Civic and it took 2 weeks for Honda to rectify the problem. Honda India could not found out what was the problem and they had to contact their Thailand office to find a solution. Ultimately it was found that it was an engine mounting problem and was fixed but the owner was dissatisfied that it took quite long to rectify.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 1st November 2006 at 11:53.
Old 1st November 2006, 13:21   #102
BHPian

SAM : still havent made the decission!!!

firstly, the auto journalist was wrong at saying that these luxury cars can create problems when on CNG. I myself have been using a much higher luxury car in Australia on CNG. There many luxury cars are run on gas too, while the Sonata and Civic are luxury only in india, and outside its just a common man's car, not a luxury thing. so no problems whatsoever with it, if u get the right kit for it.

Regarding the Skoda Octavia and the Elantra, yea, Elantra is far far more cheaper to maintain than the Octavia, and mileage wise is same or a lil less than the Octavia, but its engine is nice and peppy. IF u think u need more power, there is always the Pete's tuning box or other powerbox available around the globe for it.
Old 1st November 2006, 15:13   #103
BHPian

Hey guys, its not that i didnt take your advice seriously .. I feel Team-bhp is the best Auto site for any auto enthusiasts ,so all the advices/suggestions are very well recieved ..

Anywaz ,let me share an incident with you ...

Last week ,i went to a GM dealership located at CP . I asked for a test drive of CNG optra(just to get the feel of a dealer fitted CNG car) .
Initially ,they hesitated to provide me the test drive ,they told me that the car as not there ,it has gone out for another test drive and wont be back before 3-4 hours . I gave them my mob no. and told them to send the car at my place ...

While i was leaving the showroom , i generally asked the Security guard about the performance and sales of CNG cars(these people sometimes do reveal the truth,that showroom guys dont) and he told me that there 've been lot of enquiries but not even a single car sold ....

I asked him about the car and to my surprise the car was standing right outside the showroom ,i went inside and reconfirmed and the salesman admitted his mistake and gave me a (funny) reason that "sir i am new to this co. so i dint know about the CNG car" .

I went on for a test drive and it didnt take me even 5 minutes to understand why they were not providing a test drive to any customer ...

1) The car was jerky .
2) stopping after every minute .
3) Starting problems

The worst think was that the car was not even running good on petrol ,it was giving the same kinda problems when driven on petrol . The showroom guy then told me everything that how the car was and how it is after the fitment of a CNG kit and he strictly adviced me against the CNG conversion , he told me to either wait for the diesel Optra or to buy the Petrol .

He even went on by saying that the car has been shown to the GM and the technical team from chennai had speically visited to solve this problem ,but even they failed and that its difficult for them to get the car back to original and its not only with this dealer , i then went to a dealer at Moti nagar and he later too admitted the same in his car and suggested me against the conversion ...

So, after such an experience coupled with all the advices i got from you guys ,i now really fear of a conversion and above all the main thing that worries me is Hyundai and honda(infact,most of the mnfrs) void the warranty once the conversion take place ..

The thought that has been creeping in my mind is that When an authorized GM dealer failed to do this job how can i trust the after market dealers ..

So ,i 'll happy going for a diesel car but as i said in my previous post ,i do not find any car that solves my purpose .
As i 'll be keeping the car for 5-7 years , i want one that i could live with for such a long time . Octavia is def. one of those but its looks too dated and i wonder how much i 'll be paying for a service after 4-5 years .
Going by the posts on this forum ,it could cost me anywhere between Rs. 30000-40000/ service and the elantra is really a very boring car and is due for a replacement ...

@adarsh,ram hyundai - Embera diesel is out of my budget , max i can spend is 12 lacs .

Can you guys suggest any other ideas ?

Thanks.

@jerish666- since you 've already done 76000kms ,could you please tell me how much you are paying for a regular service ?

@insane devil - After reading this do you still suggest me for a Conversion ?
Old 1st November 2006, 15:34   #104
Team-BHP Support

sam, after reading your post, Elantra is your only option(maybe the verna too).
A person on this forum had his elantra for 3 lakh+kms.
Read the long term review section.
Even after 5-7 years, the elantra will not make a hole in your pocket. Hyundai is one of the most VFM cars in the market.
Its boring to look at, and fits below the segment you are looking at, but you have to make do with what is available
your other option is the Verna crdi. Much below your budget, but you can spend upon things like a good Audio system alloys etc.,
About CNG, buying a 10L car and running it without warranty is not a desirable option.
So you have the following choices
1. Wait till mid next year for the new diesels
2. Buy the elantra
3. Buy a petrol car and pay huuuge bills!

Reviews to help you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...hlight=elantra
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...hlight=elantra

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st November 2006 at 15:36.
Old 1st November 2006, 16:06   #105
Senior - BHPian

Sam, yours definitely is a one-of-a-kind dilemna and I guess one of the toughest nuts to crack in the "What car?" section. You have 12L odd to spare and would like a car that is luxurious, reliable, cheap to maintain, has good A**, good ride and tough built quality. You also have to drive 100 odd kms daily, which means not only is petrol ruled out, but even diesel looks costly. Hmmm.

An Octavia would match most of the requirements, except the cheap-to-maintain one. The Elantra-D also hits most priorities, except that it does not really stand out as far as looks go.

Your experience with the Optra CNG was similar to the one I had with my M800 after conversion. Ruined my car just because I thought I could save a few rupees. This was why early on in this thread, I was so much against CNG conversion. More so, when you are contemplating a costly car.
Maybe you could start a thread (if one does not already exist) asking for driving experience from members using CNG-kitted cars. Possible that others (like InsaneDevil) have different opinions to share.

Most Viewed