Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2006, 17:56   #1

Which car to buy ?

Hi folks,

I am planning to buy a car in the 6-7 lakhs segment. Which one would you suggest for a metro like Bangalore or Mumbai ? My priorities would be as follows :
1. Budget
2. Maintenance Economy / Fuel Consumption
3. Ride comfort, especially on long distance travels.

(Long distance travel might be very occassional and travel will be limited to city rides)

I know, similar threads have been posted earlier too. But my requirement is new and thought that, as a first timer, I shall be allowed this luxury.....
Thanks in advance,
Girish.
Old 26th September 2006, 19:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

The cars that come to mind are the city and fiesta....it would be better if you could elaborate more on your requirements.

Drifter
Old 26th September 2006, 19:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishkumarcs
as a first timer, I shall be allowed this luxury.....
Would you give us the luxury of an introduction first?
Old 26th September 2006, 19:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

And a budget for the car too??
Old 26th September 2006, 20:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

The following link might help you to write a bit more about your requirements and would help rest of us chip in with our thoughts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...r-section.html
Old 27th September 2006, 08:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Look at Indigo Marina Diesel and ford fiesta tdci.

I would recommend Indigo marina if your are able to digest the concept of an estate.
Old 27th September 2006, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
And a budget for the car too??
Dude, he has already given the budget as 6-7lks

@GirishKumar:

Please be more specific as u want a Diesl or Petrol car? Also wether u want something like an SUV or straight sedan?

As Devarshi said, the INDIGO MARINA is good selling car in that segment, and the new INDIGO is also nice looking and high selling. I personally dont like tata cars, so wont start discriminating again, but its definately making big sales, so do put a check urself if u like the quality.

Other than that, the Ford Fusion in that segment is also great, and so is the Chevy Aveo / Ford Fiesta. If u can stretch ur budget a lil more, then the New base model Verna (Petrol) would be a great buy too!

All these mentiond cars are good enough for occasional long drives etc.
Old 27th September 2006, 18:48   #8

Oh man, this response is simply great !!!

As an introduction, I am a Mechanical Engineer working in Gulf now, shortly returning to India for a job there. My location would be either Bangalore or Mumbai.

I have a fascination for 3 box sedans rather than hatch backs. And I am not thinking of diesel vehicles, as some how, the maintenance problems crop into my mind (a bit old of a mind it seems, although I am 37). Vehicles like Mahindra Scorpio really capture my dreams, but after sales cannot be described as good from TVS group which does the business in Kerala. Yeah....that's it. My preferences.
Thanks guys,,,,,
Girish.
Old 27th September 2006, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

If 8-10 kmpl is good in your opinion then look at fiat adventure petrol. Butch looks and powerful engine are its USP. Tata should be handling fiat well as resale values have actually gone high.

Also look at Indigo marina petrol. The engine is fuel-efficient enough.

If you strictly want to stick to 3-box sedans, then look at the

chevy Aveo 1.4
Ford Fiesta
honda city
maruti Baleno
tata Indigo 1.4 petrol
Hyundai verna

I would suggest to avoid baleno as it is outdated and Honda city may not fit your budget.

Hyundai verna, chevy aveo, ford fiesta and tata indigo might be the best bet. Check em out.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 27th September 2006 at 19:43.
Old 27th September 2006, 20:10   #10
BHPian

Hey Girish,

Well what u have said is too less to recommend a car to u. But if u are fascinated by SUV's then think of these :

1.Mahindra Scorpio - no A.S.S. problems at most places in india, their service is great, and the suv is very reliable and is of great quality too. The maintenance is very cheap, and doesnt burden the pockets, while giving a great drive too.

2. Ford Fusion - Petrol semi Suv, nice one, the new one has some nice upgrades and reduction in price, so might suit ur budget just fine.

3. the Hyundai CRDi diesels are to die for, they are just awesome, no old flaws, and have come ages ahead. There arnt any particular problems with the diesels now like before. Nowadays the diesel cars are just like petrol cars in maintenance. Just that the upfront price for the car is usually around 1lk higher than its petrol counterpart. If u are running more than around 50-60 kms per day, may aswell go up with the Diesel. The new VERNA diesel is superb! awesome pickup with hopefully a great mileage too!
Old 28th September 2006, 12:06   #11
BHPian

Hey Girishkumar, if u can do with a used car, then in that range u are bound to find a nice Elantra Petrol! its the best for the price, and is loaded with luxuries, while the only drawback is its FE is around 8-9kmpl MAX! but the power is too good! can think of that too.
Old 28th September 2006, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishkumarcs
My priorities would be as follows :
1. Budget
2. Maintenance Economy / Fuel Consumption
3. Ride comfort, especially on long distance travels.
I would recommend Fiat Petra 1.6, it fulfills all your listed priorities and needs.
Test drive it and you would believe it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks