Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2006, 21:53   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned with A Budget Of 2.5l

hi guys,i am planning to get my hands on a pre owned car with a budget of 2.5L.so my experiences were like this-
1. i short listed a lancer 2000 GLXi with 70+k on odo.for 2.25L,but the owner sold it without intimating me.so tht gone.
2.i saw a 2000 city 1.3 exi at a pre owned showroom with 63k on odo.the man quoted 3L initially but came down to 2.6L.but the drawback was it was hit on the right side to the rear door ver badly and the door needed replacement.and allso several other minor dents on bumpers.so my dad was not intersted in tht one.

so guys wht cars do u suggest me.we r looking for a sedan with 11-12 FE and low on pocket car.cars i shortlisted are-

LANCER.
OHC.
IKON (preferebly 1.3)
ACCENT.

so guys needed help on tht.pls reply.............
Old 1st October 2006, 09:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

if 2.5L is ur budget and u look for a lancer or a OHC, u will have to settle for 5-6 yeardold ( alteast ) specimens with over 70k on odo and in most cases maybe 2 owners which is not really a good idea to go ahead with. ull end up with one really really used up car on which u might end up spending more. either increase ur budget if ur looking at a lancer/OHC or open up ur options to an ESTEEM, PALIO/SIENNA. u can get a good condition 2003 or if lucky 2004 esteem for that price with far less km on the odo. same with palio ( where u may even get a 1.6 for that money )
Old 1st October 2006, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree, look for a newer Esteem/Sienna. Say a 2 or 3 year old model with reasonable kms done. Will be always better than 5 or 6 year old OHCs and Lancers. You can also look for a slightly newer Baleno.
Old 1st October 2006, 22:39   #4
BHPian

thx sajo and narayan for ur replies.what do u think of ikon flair,for wht price i can get a 2002 or 03 model.is it a good bet.my weekly running would be around 150 km.
Old 2nd October 2006, 14:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

3 yr old ikon just might fit in ur budget..(may 15-20k more ). if u get a decent vehicle with good maintenance just go for it..has more space than esteem and looks bigger on the outside too. happy driving
Old 2nd October 2006, 15:07   #6
BHPian

i will also look for ikons narayan.thanks for replying.bye.
Old 3rd October 2006, 00:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

A lancer is a far better option than the ikon. its much bigger & is easy to maintain, compared to an used ikon. i would suggest an esteem, if you like the car & not feel that it is 'Dated', as considered by many. it returns excellent mileage & the most easiest to maintain.
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:19   #8
elf
BANNED

I would suggest you go in for an Esteem or the OHC. They have great modding capabilities on a budget, if you're interested in that sorta thing.

The Lancer is heavy on gas - I should know!
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:40   #9
BHPian

At 2.5 L budget the smart thing to do is go for a Ikon flair (if u really need a boot space).
You can get a relatively newer model (u will get heavily beaten OHC,Lancer only at this price).

If you can streach your budget for 3.0 L you can look for a very Good Ikon or even a new Xeta.(No matter what brand it is Always new car is far better than a used car).
Old 3rd October 2006, 11:25   #10
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thil
At 2.5 L budget the smart thing to do is go for a Ikon flair (if u really need a boot space).
You can get a relatively newer model (u will get heavily beaten OHC,Lancer only at this price).
Hey! I beg to differ on that viewpoint of yours! I got a 2000 model Lancer GLXi, 36k km on the clock, single owner, full service history for 2.75 lakhs. Check out my ride! It doesn't squeak or rattle, & the engine's tight, & it's a pleasure to drive.

The only points against the Lancer were the gas mileage & cost of parts, & which is why I suggested the Esteem or the OHC.
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Hey! I beg to differ on that viewpoint of yours! I got a 2000 model Lancer GLXi, 36k km on the clock, single owner, full service history for 2.75 lakhs. Check out my ride! It doesn't squeak or rattle, & the engine's tight, & it's a pleasure to drive.

The only points against the Lancer were the gas mileage & cost of parts, & which is why I suggested the Esteem or the OHC.

ur among the lucky few !!! btw ur ride looks cool...did u get those alloys too at that price ?!!
Old 5th October 2006, 08:31   #12
BHPian

man i saw a 2001 model 1.6 sxi adt 50+k on odo.so wht should be the price?he is quoting 2.75L.how much can i get him down.?
Old 5th October 2006, 11:08   #13
elf
BANNED

@narayan: Nope man, bought the car completely stock, & fitted the seats & alloys/tyres within 2 days of getting the car.

@sankeerthreddy: I'll say it again - there ain't no way to fix an exact price on a used car. It depends upon the buyer, the seller, the condition of the car, & lots of other factors. Always walk away from a ride that doesn't feel right in your gut, no matter how good it looks.

Do remember that Lancers tend to be a bit heavy on the pocket for parts replacement.
Old 5th October 2006, 12:12   #14
BHPian

hi Sankeerth,

I will agree with ELF that there is no exact price of a used car. And use your gut feel to shortlist the car. Some tricks for negotiating:

1. Check the value insured of the car and when the insurance was renewed. This will give you a tentative figure you can ask for.

2. You can negotiate further if the owner is not single owner.

3. Cross check with an auto expert you personally know.

4. Check the service records for the vehicle.

Hope it helps. Cheers!
Old 6th October 2006, 20:51   #15
BHPian

so guys wht do u think of accent? today i saw a GLS 2001 golden beige with 80+ on its odo and the man asks for 2.8L.wht do u think?
for how much max,i can pay for a neat accent 2001.

Most Viewed