Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 21:54   #1
BHPian

Used Lancer Diesel - Yes or No?

Hi All,

I am on a lookout for a second car for my daily errands. Came across a 2002 Lancer GLXD in olx. The ask prize is 1.35 lakhs. It has ran 145000+ KMS. I have not yet seen the car however I am planning to take a look at it tommorow. I wanted some expert advice on the below questions.

1) How would be the spare parts availability ?
2) Would it be easy to find workshops that can service this vehicle in bangalore ?
3) Given that the useage would be only in the stop go traffic of bangalore city. What would be the mileage that I can expect ?
4) What would be a good prize for this car given that there aresome minor scratches and a small dent on the door. ( Mentioned by the current owner)

Last edited by shreehari : 27th August 2016 at 21:57.
Old 28th August 2016, 00:03   #2
BANNED

re: Used Lancer Diesel - Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreehari View Post
I am on a lookout for a second car for my daily errands. Came across a 2002 Lancer GLXD in olx. The ask prize is 1.35 lakhs. It has ran 145000+ KMS. I have not yet seen the car however I am planning to take a look at it tommorow. I wanted some expert advice on the below questions.
Lancer GLXd is a fine machine provided you get a really well maintained car. The approximate price that you can look at would be between 1.10L to 1.15L assuming that the mechanicals of the car are in good nick. It will be difficult to source the parts as availability of same is a question. In Bangalore stop and go traffic, you can expect about 11 to 12KMPL.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2016 at 00:44. Reason: Reduced quoted post
RAPTOR-XUV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 01:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

A 2002 lancer would be 15 years old and out of road tax next year. Renewing this should be taken into consideration. Plus spare parts and service issues would be present. Also, the running is low on a 14 year old diesel. 145000 kms is approximately, 10k kms a year or less than a thousand a month. So it is reasonable to assume that the car may have not been used in the later part of its life. Niggles will be present and it may turn into a money pit.

Pick it up if you are absolutely sure and if it has a clean paper work, else walk away.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 08:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am on a lookout for a second car for my daily errands. Came across a 2002 Lancer GLXD in olx. The ask prize is 1.35 lakhs. It has ran 145000+ KMS.
Damn. Bangalore used car price market is so much skewed towards the seller. I have a 2002 Lancer SFXi run 70k kms. Although it is petrol, but still for comparison sakes, all I am getting here in Delhi for the same car is under 50k. Infact I can sell it for more for its number plate than the car itself ( it sports a VIP number).

Isn't the asking price too high for this car?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 08:35   #5
BHPian

@drmohitg Yes I feel that the asking price is high. How is the spare parts and maintainability of this car. I am just keen on this only because its a Lancer.

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2016 at 12:59. Reason: Typos
Old 28th August 2016, 08:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@drmohitg Yes I feel that the asking price is high. How is the spare parts and maintainability of this car. I am just keen on this only because of its a Lancer.
For me, spare parts have not been an issue so far. they are easily available. Given the fact that down south, the Lancer was a much more popular car, I don't think spares should be an issue. But I would still not be comfortable buying a 14 year old car that has done over a lac kms even though my lancer has till date not asked for any premature replacements nor has had a failure. If it is only for daily errands in the city, I would rather get a fairly new Nano.

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2016 at 12:59. Reason: Quoted post edited
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 10:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
@drmohitg Yes I feel that the asking price is high. How is the spare parts and maintainability of this car. I am just keen on this only because of its a Lancer.
The asking price is way too high, just to give you an idea, a 2006 lancer petrol auto run around 50,000 kms is worth around R 35,000 here in Bangalore.

Parts availability is not a big issue .Regular service items are easily available. For other major parts, wait times are definetly there.

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2016 at 12:59. Reason: Quoted post edited
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 10:50   #8
BHPian

@nirmalijustdoit oh is it. Thanks for that. Now the prize really looks out of this world. Do you have any leads to a sparingly used Lancer.
Old 28th August 2016, 13:40   #9
BHPian

Having worked for a company that assembled engines for Lancer, I would say the mechanicals of the car are sorted as everything was imported from Japan and only assembly took place here. Over a period of time, only camshaft was localized and only warranty claims, if ever, were those regarding camshaft!
sidhu_hs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 15:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car is well maintained and all electrical parts in order, close the deal for around a lakh. Add another 10 grands if tires are good and insurance validity is for another 6+ months (Keep in mind since the engine capacity is over 1.5L insurance premium will be higher) In Chennai B2B traffic Diesel Lancer, with over 1L mileage delivers close to 12kmpl with 100% AC. Regular consumables and wear & tear parts are easy to source and other parts are available with some delay (if you know where to look for)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
The asking price is way too high, just to give you an idea, a 2006 lancer petrol auto run around 50,000 kms is worth around R 35,000 here in Bangalore.
Here 2000 model petrol lancers in running condition were not available for the price you quoted.
Mr.Boss is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 12:15   #11
BHPian

Re: Used Lancer Diesel - Yes or No?

The car that I referred to in my initial post got sold out before I could go and have a look. However came across an older one. This one was 1998 model GLXD with FC papers in place. It had clocked 2 Lacs + KMS. I test rode the vehicle. It is definitely showing its age on the outside. Paint had come off at different places & there was a bit of rusting in the tyre wells.However when I rode it, I was surprised to see how good the engine was even at this age. Probably shows the quality of Japanese diesel engines. Electrical's were all in place too. However there was a metallic sound from the steering column every time I took a turn. The owner wanted to pass it off saying it was because there is less air in the front tyres , Though I didn't confront it was definitely more than that. He was quoting 1 Lakh for the car. The way I look at it, It would take 1 more Lakh before I could make it look a bit better and make it useful. So at 2 Lacs a 18 year old vehicle looked like a tad bit more than foolishness to me (somewhere in the range of madness to be precise) and since I have a sane better half and a old man to answer I give this one a pass, and hence the hunt continues...
Old 29th August 2016, 13:03   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Lancer Diesel - Yes or No?

Quote:
This one was 1998 model GLXD with FC papers in place. It had clocked 2 Lacs + KMS.
I don't mind owning my own car up to 2 lakh km, but there is no way I'll buy a car someone else has driven for 2 lakh km. Heck, I wouldn't even buy someone else's 75,000 km car.

You are just asking for trouble, Shreehari. A 15 - 20 year old car is at the end of its life. A lot of components will start failing at this point as they are worn out completely. Even if the engine is kept healthy with regular oil changes & maintenance, there are thousands of other parts that will give up. A Rs. 1 lakh used car can quickly become a 2 lakh car as the repairs roll in.

Would instead suggest that you pick up a newer hatchback for daily commuting.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks