Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2006, 11:44   #1
BHPian

New Car suggestions

Hi,

I am planning on buying a new car. First a little something about me.

Driving Exp : 9 years
City : Hyderbad
Cars : Maruti 800 1986, Maruti Esteem Vx 1998
Driving Style : Fast, like to be the first one of the red light.

I absolutely love driving, go for late night drives at 2 in the night, just for the heck of it. Drove from Delhi - Hyderbad in my 800. . I would consider myself a fairly good driver.

I would be using the new car for going to office, around 50kms everday. Plus some highway driving from Hyderbad, which would in most cases not be on any NHs. I need a car with perfomance, the more the better ( 180km/h?). Interior space is not needed, the driver, in general the first row should be comfortable. I will not be selling the car.

I read the reviews, and did some online research. I would like to have your thoughts on my problem. I am just not able to decide on which car to buy. My budget is of around 7lakhs, which I will be taking a loan of.

Some options are Verna,Aveo,Fiesta,Scorpio,City VTEC,Swift?

I know, its a weird list. I wanted to get a 1.8L Lancer, but people said that the service is bad and the car is dated. Between Verna,Aveo and Fiesta, I don't like the looks of all three, they just look the same, and perfomance is not what I was hoping for. Scorpio, because the general consensus is that its good for city driving and the occasional highway drive, but is cramped. As I said, I will be using the Scorpio as a 4 seater, not more than that. Then they say that it wont last long, and service from the dealers is really bad. And finally someone suggested to buy a Swift, save up and get a bigger car in about 4 years or put a Turbo in it later, for perfomance. Is that feasable?

I will be test driving all of them soon, but is there no car for me at the moment? Which delivers good perfomance? Please give me some suggestions or some paths of thinking...

Confused...

Last edited by smokie : 12th October 2006 at 11:50.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

If its down to performance then there are only 3 cars.

1. Fiesta 1.6
2. NHX ZX Vtec
3. Verna CRDi

Now i am confused do you need a petrol car or diesel will do the job. Coz if you need performance in diesel it has to be verna. If in Petrol you can opt for either fiesta or NHC ZX Vtec. My prefrence would be 1.6 fiesta.

As per handling fiesta wins and fords are meant to handle well coz if they can't then no one will buy it

OR if you want to go for swift then i think as for performance you can get some idea what swift is capable if modded good. http://carwale.com/Resources/Article...wiftTurbo.aspx

Cheers.

Last edited by abhibh : 12th October 2006 at 12:00.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:58   #3
BHPian

I have no preference of petrol over diesel or vice versa. VTEC is 8 lakhs Ex-showroom, which is over my budget, and with only 100ps, from the reviews I read doesnt really have a perfomance factor. How much is Verna CRDi?
Old 12th October 2006, 12:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Under 10 L, nothing comes close to a verna CRDI in performance. however, throw in a couple of twists and turns in teh road and the Fiesta will show many cars a clean pair of heels.

So if you want sheer straight line performance, go for the Verna CRDi. If you want a good handler as well, look no further than teh Fiesta. I would stay away from teh NHC Vtec- not worth the money IMHO.

Want performance cheap?- go for the Baleno or the Palio 1.6 GTX
Old 12th October 2006, 12:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

A phone call last eve frm a TBHPian again tempts me towards Verna CRDi. Why? Verna Crdi + Pete's already on roads. Some below 9sec for 0-100kmph! I was damn impressed with the stock 110bhp but this(peteified Verna..125+ bhp? ) is just too much.

your choice
Old 12th October 2006, 12:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie
I have no preference of petrol over diesel or vice versa. VTEC is 8 lakhs Ex-showroom, which is over my budget, and with only 100ps, from the reviews I read doesnt really have a perfomance factor. How much is Verna CRDi?
Verna CRDi is 110 BHP and the performance reports says it does 0-100 in 11.xx secs same as fiesta 1.6 but fiesta is great handler. So i think if you are looking for a big car then fiesta is the choice out of the list of the cars you mentioned below.

Baleno is also a good performer but its not at all good on safety IMHO. Yeah if you can get your hands on palio 1.6 that will be great. There is a thread which states that all those who are willing to buy PALIO 1.6 should hurry coz the stocks are almost over.

Ball is in your court now.

P.S. Hows the service of FIAT and FORD in your area ?

Last edited by abhibh : 12th October 2006 at 12:20.
Old 12th October 2006, 12:27   #7
BHPian

Just looked up the price for Verna CRDi. It seems to be 8.25lakhs in Delhi. This is way over my budget. . I wish I had more time, but I need a car to get to office.

Cant get a Fiat. Dad doesnt like Fiat, some old feelings :P

Last edited by adya33 : 15th October 2006 at 12:31.
Old 12th October 2006, 12:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

According to me go with Fiat palio 1.6 or Petra or Adventure, you can love fiat with great performance, comfortable ride, decent FE. and If you like Swift its good deal too mainly VXI variant, great savings which you can use after 4 or 5 years when there will be number of options in India to shop for new car.
Old 12th October 2006, 13:02   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie
Just looked up the price for Verna CRDi. It seems to be 8.25lakhs in Delhi. This is way over my budget. . I wish I had more time, but I need a car to get to office.
Verna crdi is 7.45L ex showroom in delhi.
Are you talking about on road price?
Old 12th October 2006, 13:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai verna crdi hyderabad ex-showroom price: 735499
So isn't it off budget.Scorpio not meant for 180kmph kind of driving.

The fiesta 1.6 zxi ,the baleno,the verna petrol version and the fiat palio 1.6[dont know if still available] are your best available choices

If you are getting a good offer from the Maruti dealer go for the Baleno[trade in your esteem].
Otherwise it is a choice between the fiesta 1.6zxi and the verna petrol[whose performance suprisingly has not been spoken of much at even team-bhp,and I personally as well do not know much about the verna petrol,so please test drive it as well]

The fiat palio 1.6 dont know if it is still available with colour of your choice so not recomending it.
Old 12th October 2006, 13:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
and the verna petrol[whose performance suprisingly has not been spoken of much at even team-bhp,and I personally as well do not know much about the verna petrol,so please test drive it as well]
Saw some figures on this forum yesterday and the Petrol one is below the Fiesta 1.6 on all counts, outright acceleration as well as roll on.........
Old 12th October 2006, 13:20   #12
BHPian

I think the Verna Crdi is the best bet.. But its a new launch so we'll just have to wait to see if it has any issues.. How about the Palio 1.6 sports. Its thoroughbred and goes fast..
dMH
Old 12th October 2006, 13:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Your requirement is all about performance. Seating comfort is limited to the 1st row. If so, why even think of lugging around a boot, which you will in most probability never use. The Swift and Palio1.6 seem to be good choices for you. But, you have ruled out Fiat cars. Leaves you with the Swift (the Getz would also be worth checking out).

If you insist on sedans, the VTec, Verna CRDi etc will be out of your budget of 7lacs. I am not very sure, but I think the Fiesta1.6 should come in 7lacs. If so, a good option for you. Other than this, you have the non-Vtec NHC, Fiesta1.4, etc, which IMO will not give you the performance you seek. At much less than 7L, you could get a Baleno Vxi, which would give you pretty good performance, coupled with a good mileage. Cons are model is in market for sometime now + rear looks are not that good + bad interiors.

I would suggest testdrive all the options that fall in your budget and make a decision. And with your monthly driving of more than 1500kms, doesn't diesel make more sense? More so, since you do not plan to sell the car for some time.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th October 2006 at 13:51.
Old 12th October 2006, 13:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

I estimate that smokie will be driving around 2500kms/month(50kms/day + highway since he loves to drive for the sake of it),
If you take a petrol car at 12kmpl average, you will spend around 10,000/month on fuel.
with the diesel this comes down to 6000/month.
So you will save around rs 4000/month in fuel costs.
If you are taking a 5 year loan, that much EMI will get you a 2L loan. So for same "out of pocket costs" in fuel terms, a petrol car will make sense if it costs < 550,000 ex showroom.
So if you can get a car with whose performance you are satisfied for less than 550,000 ex showroom, go for petrol, otherwise go for verna crdi.
If your driving exceeds 2500kms/month, I then diesel will start making even more sense.

As for the scorpio, going by your 180kmph preference, dont even think of it.
Even swift is out of the question. Actually for 180kmph you will need to move to germany, but thats another matter.

I am guessing baleno can be had for 550,000 after discounts, and verna is 7.35 in hyd ex showroom.
so these are your only two choices(I left out Palio 1.6 because you dont want fiat)
Old 12th October 2006, 14:14   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Smokie

Basically what you want is an enthusiasts car. A car with power, handling and useability.

1. The Fiesta 1.6 : Power and Handling. Great interiors. I loved the package. Only downside is....its only a matter of time before Ford cuts prices or the resale values crash down.

2. Verna CRDi : Its fast and I havent driven it yet. But I can tell you that high-revving a petrol is much more fun than driving a diesel "fast". Case point : I enjoy my Vtec more than the C220.

3. Baleno : With the right rubber and minimal modifications, its a delight to drive. But its pretty old and has "been around". Drab interiors too.

4. Used Honda City Vtec : My choice. Buy one and spruce it up. Will delight you more than any new car under 20 lacs. I tell you this from experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks