Team-BHP - The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/181385-d-segment-sedan-battle-elantra-vs-corolla-altis-vs-octavia-vs-jetta-vs-cruze.html)

The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze-elantra-comparo.png

Hyundai Elantra

What you'll like:

• Fluidic design is stylish & contemporary. Will appeal to many
• Priced well - among the lowest in the segment. Offers the most value for money
• Spacious, high quality interiors
• Refined diesel & petrol engines mated to smooth 6-speed automatics
• Suspension delivers a comfortable ride & neutral dynamics
• Loaded with kit! Hands-free boot, ventilated seats, Eco / Sport driving modes, HD ICE etc.
• Top safety rating. Has 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, hill-start assist & more
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3 year unlimited km warranty

What you won't:

• Neither engine offers explosive performance. 1.6L diesel lacks the punch of competition's 2.0s
• Uninvolving to drive. Jetta & Octavia are a lot more fun on the highway
• Conservatively tuned AT can't match the speed of the VW group's DSG
• Some missing features (auto wipers, folding rear seat, glovebox illumination...)
• Shockingly, the Manual SX(O) is lesser equipped than the Automatic SX(O)
• Diesel AT - a popular combo - is available only in the top variant. No choice of trims

Link to Official Review

Toyota Corolla Altis
The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze-toyota-corolla-altis.jpg

Link to Toyota Corolla Altis thread

Link to BHPian hypermiler's Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Report

Link to BHPian Severus's Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Report

Skoda Octavia

What you'll like:

• Classic European styling & build. Premium quality inside out
• Wide engine range: Adequate 1.4L TSI, economical 2.0L diesel and explosive 1.8L TSI
• Smooth, high-tech DSG. Lightning quick upshifts
• Enhanced cabin room & spacious rear seat. Cavernous 590 liter boot as well
• Loaded with features (panoramic sunroof, electric seats with memory, bi-xenon lights etc.)
• Middle Ambition variant is well-equipped. Has a Diesel Automatic available too
• 5 star NCAP rating. Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ABS + EBD, ESP, EDL and more

What you won't:

• 2.0L diesel & 1.4L petrol get an inferior (torsion beam) rear suspension
• 1.4L TSI has prominent turbo lag at low rpms
• Some niceties missing (paddle shifters, smart keyless entry & go, alloy wheel spare)
• 1.8L TSI isn't offered with a manual transmission for the purists
• Unusually tall floor hump makes things uncomfortable for the 5th occupant
• Long term reliability concerns over the DSG automatic
• Skoda’s ill-famed after sales service & dealer network

Link to Official Review

Volkswagen Jetta

What you’ll like:

• Classic, timeless and understated styling, mated with solid build quality
• 2.0L diesel is fast, torquey, refined & fuel-efficient. 6-speed manual is a joy to use
• Smooth, high-tech 6-speed DSG automatic (diesel). Lightning quick upshifts
• Spacious cabin, front & back
• Mature ride and handling package. Extremely well-tuned suspension
• Features such as bi-xenon headlamps, LED DRLs, dual-zone climate control, touchscreen ICE etc.
• 5 star NCAP rating. Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ABS + EBD, ESP, EDL and more

What you won’t:

• Leather seats, sunroof & reversing camera are conspicuous by their absence
• DSG only offered with the diesel's Highline variant. Octavia has it on the middle variant too
• Lacklustre 1.4L TSI petrol engine. Explosive 1.8L TSI isn't available in the Jetta
• Interior quality is a grade or two lower than the previous generation Jetta
• Unusually tall floor hump can make things uncomfortable for the 5th occupant
• Newer Skoda Octavia has more power, equipment & a bigger boot
• VW's substandard dealership & service experiences

Link to Official Review

Chevrolet Cruze

What you’ll like:

• Funky exterior & interior styling
• Well-rounded 164 BHP engine is fast, refined & efficient. Turbo-lag is greatly reduced
• Loaded with equipment (sunroof, keyless entry & go, electric driver's seat, cruise control, rain sensing wipers etc.)
• Good reliability, as proven by the many Team-BHP ownership reviews
• Competitively priced. Variant to variant, the Cruze is priced at the low end of the D1 segment

What you won’t:

• The 2,000 rpm turbo kick of the older car is gone. Power delivery is tamer now
• Rear seat comfort is inferior to all direct competitors
• Mediocre interior quality. Just doesn't feel premium enough
• Not as dynamically accomplished as the Europeans
• Lousy JK Vectra OEM tyres & weak headlamps. An upgrade for both is mandatory

Link to Official Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section.

My pick is the Jetta TDI. Damn surprising because the VW is the second-oldest car in this group! But it has the best build, awesome 2.0 turbo-diesel, great balance between ride & handling and a practical interior. To my eyes, the Jetta is also the best looking. Very clean & understated design :thumbs up.

The Elantra? If diesel, I'd pick it over the Corolla for sure. Not over the Jetta though - no way.

I would go with the Jetta too, just because of that fantastic rev-happy engine and the classic Volkswagen build quality.

Interiors of the Jetta might seem dated when compared to it's in-segment peers, but the Jetta has a quiet, understated elegant look about it which is very appealing. Also, it's priced quite competitively.

On pricing, it's easy to see that Hyundai is gunning for the Altis in affordability. Hence it's no surprise that the new Elantra has bagged over 1500 bookings since it's launch (link), but the engine options don't excite me.

The Octavia might seem the best of the lot on paper but it's also the most expensive. If it was priced at least 1.0-1.5 lacs less, it would have been my pick over the Jetta.

Close fight between the Octavia and the Jetta. Vote is for the Jetta.

My pick is the Jetta for the diesel. There is something very elegant about the Jetta-Especially in that blue color. Of course, not to mention the other typical German USP's like build, engine and a relatively trouble free 6 speed DSG. If you ask me to buy a D segmenter today, this would be my choice. The Octavia comes a close 2nd.

If Petrol, my choice would be the Octavia 1.8 TSI. Mainly because the Jetta does not come in this configuration. But not sure, if I would actually feel confident enough to buy it.

My pick will be the Corolla reliable, sensible, trouble free and peace of mind.If you have all of these i do not see why a car can't be fun to drive.

In Mumbai traffic fun to drive is an oxymoron. 90% of the time you will be chasing tail lights of ricks, cabs etc. I rather have bullet proof reliability than stellar performance since we can never truly exploit the true potential of any car safely in a city like Mumbai. Case is my Civic, i spend 80% of time in traffic and in the 20% i can rarely hit the ton mark safely. I would love to keep a Corolla for 200k kms or more if possible.

My choice too would be either Jetta or Octavia inspite of all the negativity about VW and Skoda Service.

The engine options on the Corolla and Elantra don't cut it for me, worst of the lot is the Corolla Altis. Cruze is too old and boring now in terms of design.

I'd go for the Jetta too if I were in the market for a D-segment sedan. Elegant, timeless design lines (inside and out) coupled with a delicious powertrain makes this a near-complete brute in a suit.

The Octavia is clearly the pick of the lot when it comes to petrol, but its price and Skoda's reputation makes many shy away from it. For the chauffeur driven, the Elantra makes the most sense followed by the Corolla. But it's got to be the Jetta all the way for me.

Petrol:
Octavia 1.8 TSi
Absolutely no competition actually!
Although hit-and-miss service and DSG reliability is a constant worry

Diesel:
Jetta DSG:
1. With the nice exterior and interior updates now making it that much more appealing.
2. Impending discontinuance worries and hit-and-miss service worries.

The poll - currently 71% in favour of the Jetta & Octavia - tell us something that we already knew. When it comes to mass market cars, the Japanese & Koreans rule. However, climb up the segments and the Europeans maintain an edge in product competence levels.

In the luxury segment, Lexus & Tesla are the only two manufacturers to have cracked the code, although it's only in the USA & the Germans still outsell them (total sales). When it comes to premium cars, the Germans have the last word. That's how it's always been. Period.

The VW Jetta is so good that I have asked my Dad to keep it until a suitable Replacement is available. He was casually asking me options in 30 lakh range. I told him CLA, A3 etc but I also told him, none of these can offer the Levels of Driving & Comfort Experience that Jetta has provided over the years. He accepted it.

I told him that the next Best cars that are closer/better then Jetta are Jaguar XE, Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 Series. Sorry I am not considering the A4 here, it just doesn't feel that special compared to Jetta/Octavia. And these cars aren't cheap. They cost twice the price of Jetta/Octavia. Hence have decided to hold back plans of Upgrading.

I have an Octavia 1.8 TSI that I will be replacing with the new Elantra.

As much as I love driving it, the reliability gremlins are too many to hold on to it.

The car left me stranded three times within the last 9 months.

First to go was the battery. The factory installed Varta unit was replaced with an Exide battery of the same specification. Four months later DSG failure. The car was away to the workshop for almost three months, but it was replaced under goodwill even though the car was out of warranty. And as of last month, the fuel pump and the battery again. The car is at the workshop waiting for parts.

In all three instances the car was undriveable and I was left stranded inconveniently.

Regardless, it is a wonderful car that never failed to make me smile. I preferred driving it over my 525d everyday.

I'm now giving up pure driving joy for a boring car that just works.

Quote:

I have an Octavia 1.8 TSI that I will be replacing with the new Elantra
I haven't driven Elantra but it will be worth trying Corolla Petrol, I remember it used to be a fun drive a decade back and it will still start in one crank. Of course if you are considering Diesel then it will be different.

Coming to the thread, VW & Skoda - we have heard enough stories here and experienced in our circle and please don't tell me that these are all cooked up or their owners did something different from what OEM suggested. I can still go with a Jetta or Skoda if we can get one on Lease or my company pays. Buying on EMI for 3-5 years of ownership - No Thank you , there are other better and satisfying ways to lose money.

Diesel: All the way Jetta, major positives are reliable 6 Speed DSG and Multi link suspension at rear. Octavia lost due to absence of multi link suspension at rear and un reliable 7 speed DSG.
Petrol: Octavia 1.8 TSI (Best engine in the segment)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mtv (Post 4085394)
I have an Octavia 1.8 TSI that I will be replacing with the new Elantra. *snip*

The car left me stranded three times within the last 9 months.

*snip*

I'm now giving up pure driving joy for a boring car that just works.

:OTSad to hear that, but completely understandable. A battery failing once is still within the bounds of explanation. A second one failing 9 months after that is a no-no, and the less said about the ghosts haunting that 7 speed DSG the better.

If only the Elantra came with better engine options...it'd be a much more palatable option for enthusaists that might live with and even relish the lighter steering at city speeds because it comes attached to a car that is certainly quite reliable. Good luck with your new steed.