Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2006, 09:16   #1
BHPian

Looking for a good diesel car

Guyz,

I have been a silent member in tbhp so far. Now the time has come when I have a genuine reason to post a new thread. One of my friends is looking to buy a good high end diesel car. So I thought it would be best to get an opinion from the forum on what car to buy.

My friend already has a NHC and a Santro. The plan is to upgrade the Santro with a big diesel car.

I will list out the demands.
1. It should be a high end diesel car.
2. The budget is tentatively fixed at around 12 lakhs.
3. Decent performance is expected. (Nice to take out on long highways and cities too)
4. FE matters (so the choice of diesel)
5. Features that are part of a high end car is also expected.
6. I have asked her to wait for a few months and she is ok with that.

The choices she had were Hyundai Verna, Ford fiesta diesel and Skoda octavia. I suggested the following coz the budget was stretched upto 12lacs - Hyundai Elantra and the Sonata Embera CRdi (supposed to be launched some time soon).

She is very happy with the NHC. So is looking for a similar diesel car.

What do you people suggest.
Old 1st November 2006, 09:44   #2
BHPian

If its 12L, I wouldnt suggest a Verna for lack of safety and other goodie internal features one would like to have while shelling out 12L. Skoda Rider is an old war horse, Ford Fiesta Diesel 1.4 can't be considered for someone who wishes to spend this much money and get a good "performing" diesel car.

If she like SUVs, Tucson is a good option, but would cost in excess of 15.

I would suggest the following in the order of priority -

1. This is not a good time to go for a new car - so many new models are getting launched in 2007. Its not too far away. If that is the case, these apply -
Old 1st November 2006, 09:56   #3
BHPian

NHC has its own nice features and finish and the Honda tag to be assured of quality. However, one has to be careful while deciding to buy a diesel.

Of the ones you mentioned, I may not suggest a Verna for someone who is ready to stretch the budget upto 12L for safety reasons and lack of features (someone already using a NHC will be terribly disappointed). Ford Fiesta Diesel looks good, can't boast of a good "performing" engine. Skoda Rider 1.9 TDi is an old war horse. We better start realising there are better technologies Skoda is preparing for the Indian market. Skoda is a very well refined car, but ask someone about their maintenance bills. In Kerala, there is only Marikar and you will know what I am referring to, after couple of visits to the Service Station.

I would say anyone going for an upgrade/planning to go for a diesel should (if they have time) wait some more months and watch the new models that would hit the market soon.

If P can wait :-), she can go for the following -

1. Skoda Fabia
2. Mitsubishi Outlander
3. Maruthi Baleno Diesel
4. Hyundai Elantra - new

Embera Diesel may not be available for this budget, I guess. I am eagerly waiting to see the CRDi version of the Embera.....
Old 1st November 2006, 10:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham

The plan is to upgrade the Santro with a big diesel car.

3. Decent performance is expected. (Nice to take out on long highways and cities too)
4. FE matters (so the choice of diesel)
5. Features that are part of a high end car is also expected.
6. I have asked her to wait for a few months and she is ok with that.

The choices she had were Hyundai Verna, Ford fiesta diesel and Skoda octavia. I suggested the following coz the budget was stretched upto 12lacs - Hyundai Elantra and the Sonata Embera CRdi (supposed to be launched some time soon).
Don;t go for the Octy as its dated now and doesnt have any salient USP's over its rivals. Verna CRDi has a great engine, but the car as a whole lacks image in keeping with its price-tag. Fiesta diesel - no technical problems, but for that puny 68 bhp.

Your original suggestion of the redesigned Elantra CRDi and the on-the-cards Sonata CRDi is the best bet yet.
Old 1st November 2006, 10:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham
There isn't much of a choice to make in this segment at present really,

Now petrol options are ruled out,so it has to be the Octavia.Skoda does have its huge maintainance costs,bad customer service problems.But the Octy is still a very popular car inspite of all this and enjoys a good status image.

The embera diesel will not fit into your budget and with regards new elantra diesel[VGT] yes since she is prepared to wait for some time,you could compare it with the octy after it is launched

Right now however ,The only other option in this segment[diesel] is the diesel Innova V spec,but a car cannot be compared with an MUV although the innova is a lot more carlike.Its bulk maybe its biggest disadvantage atleast in cities .However the advantage the innova has is lower cost of spares,better customer service etc.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st November 2006 at 10:53.
Old 1st November 2006, 12:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Agreed with Rahul, If budget 12 lacs. for deisel car go for diesel Innova V grade its really great car cum MUV.

Once you are used to city driving its easy to drive this big elephant. Its
backed with toyota engine so you will never feel like you need to change the car for at least 8 years.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st November 2006, 12:10   #7
BHPian

Hi,
IMO, the Octi is in a different league comapared to the Verna or Fiesta, so if she wants to buy now, then the Octavia it is. Solid as rock and very good FE. If she dose'nt mind the looks, the Innova V grade is awesome too (Hassle free, fast and very smooth). However if she can wait, the New Elantra would be worth it.
All the best,
dMH
Old 1st November 2006, 12:27   #8
BANNED

If your friend is not stuck on a sedan, she might want to consider the Innova (as some have suggested) or the Safari.
Old 1st November 2006, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Seems very similar to Sam's dilemna in the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-confused.html

Only option seems to be to wait for new diesel releases.
Old 1st November 2006, 18:38   #10
BHPian

I would say go for Hyundai Elantra CRDI - churns out whopping 112 bhp and costs mere 9.5 lacs fully loaded. gives 15-18 kmpl...
Old 1st November 2006, 20:11   #11

If you mind waiting then go for the octavia Auto transmission. Great for city aswell as highway( more city than highway) . The new laura is great especially its triptronic.

If budget is around 8 lacs then The fiesta is a good deal.
Old 1st November 2006, 20:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Not much of choice, to be frank. The Verna and the Fiesta should not be considered when the budget is 12 lakhs.

The Elantra has image issues but is otherwise a great car. The Skoda is old and rather cramped despite being a good car if you dont need to pay for its maintenance.

I'd suggest that your friend waits for the new Elantra to be launched. Or go for a 2nd hand vehicle - it should be possible to get hold of a sparingly used Tucson or the old Pajero (old, but very nice except for the rear seats) with that budget.

I'm assuming the lady is not interested in an SUV, else you could've considered the top-end Scorpio or the Safari Vx.

The only option then is the Top-end INNOVA!
Has everything going for it (diesel, high end, decent performance, great space, and reliable as only a Toyota can be) except the looks and the slightly largish proportions. I'm surprised nobody has recommended this so far.
Old 1st November 2006, 21:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

@steer The innova has been recomended in the above posts.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:24   #14
BHPian

Its better you wait.

I honestly suggest you wait for the year 2006 to go by to get a true picture of cars slated for release in 2007 which will be known in a few months time. If you are hell bent on buying one then the high end innove should fit your bill. Personally I am definitely trading in my Palio GTX for the 150bhp diesel Fiat Linea which should be out in ten months time. I have my fingers crossed that they price my specific choice below 9 lakhs because thats how much I can stretch my budget. If I were you I would wait and hope to GOD the ALFAROMEO comes to our shores. Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 2nd November 2006, 07:58   #15
BHPian

Thank you all for the overwhelming response.

My suggestion was to wait till first quarter of 2007 for the new cars to be launched.

Personally, I am waiting to see the new ones to upgrade my Palio D. My personal favourite is the Fiat Linea (mentioned by drpullockaran). Having driven a Fiat for over 2 years, I know what to expect in this one. And hopefully by then, the A** with TATA would have matured enough to compete with any Maruti and Hyundai. And if Fiat gets the pricing right, the Lenia would definitely be a success.

Also, am surprised to note that most of the responses were against the Octavia. May be the maintenace cost and the age factor is working against it now.

So now, the better option would be to wait for the new Elantra or the new cars coming out in 2007.

@convivial: P is not in any hurry, she wanted a new car coz, the Hyundai guys were offering a great price for her Santro. She asked me and all I could think of was to get the opinion from tbhp.

@Steer: The top end Innova is a good choice, but the bulk of the car may not match the needs of my friend.

Thanks all for the responses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks