Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2017, 17:22   #1
BHPian

New S-Cross 1.6 or Used Corolla Altis?

I'm on the lookout for a family sedan/cross-over and have narrowed it down to a brand new S-Cross 1.6 or a used Toyota Corolla Altis!

I've managed to find a 2014 manual Corolla for 12.85L and a 2015 automatic Corolla for 16.9L. Both are in extremely good condition and the automatic Corolla even has a comprehensive insurance policy while the manual one doesn't.

I recently sold my 2008 automatic Civic and am on the lookout for a driver-oriented yet practical sedan. The S-Cross 1.6 is a gem of a car but the Toyota reliability is something that cannot be forgotten! Heavily considering the automatic Corolla because of my dad's age, as well.

Can someone with either of these two cars weigh in on how they're holding up after a few years of usage? Would also like to know the maintenance costs required for both vehicles since we've always owned petrol cars and have no idea about diesel maintenance!
Old 30th June 2017, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New S-Cross 1.6 or Used Corolla Altis?

If you have owned an automatic and petrol, stick with the Corolla automatic. Its a logical choice compared to the S-Cross 1.6.

I'd go with S-Cross 1.6 only if you are looking for a fun driving diesel car. It's on any day going to be noisier than the 1.8L. And as a former petrol car owner, you'll notice it immediately.

Both powertrains are reliable. Corolla's 1.8 has been around in India itself for quite sometime. Fiat 1.6 is new for India, but has been doing duty on several cars including the S-Cross, Tipo etc in Europe.

About maintenance, I suppose S-Cross 1.6 is going to be slightly on the higher side due to some imported consumables. There were discussions around this on the S-Cross (which I have been following for my own prospective purchase).
Old 30th June 2017, 18:43   #3
BHPian

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are. I have a 2008 Civic V AT and I was looking at a newer car. I test drove a new S-Cross and a used 2015 Altis.

While I loved the fantastic power and the (relative) abuse friendliness of the S-Cross, it didn't make the cut. I'm used to the silky refinement of the Honda iVTEC and the comparatively coarse nature of the 1.6 in made it feel like a downgrade. The interiors of the Civic was better. I also couldn't overlook the lack of AT, which I feel is an absolute must in current traffic conditions.

The Corolla is a like-for-like replacement for the Civic and I would have gone for it but for some issues with paperwork. I've paused my search for now and I'm waiting for the launch of the Compass petrol before deciding.
Old 30th June 2017, 18:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
I'm on the lookout for a family sedan/cross-over

a 2015 automatic Corolla for 16.9L.

on the lookout for a driver-oriented yet practical sedan.
You're considering a second-hand D-segment car for 16.9 lacs! That's way too much, I think. You seem to be a D-segment guy but you can get a brand new C-segment sedan for that much. If it's ok with you. That too Automatic. And a new car beats an old one any day, if you think about it a bit.

I would have gone for the Honda City if I was you. You'd get almost the top spec version for 16 lac odd. It's almost what a Civic stands for interior-wise, and then some. Good rear bench, spacious, practical, reliable, efficient, all good. The i-vtec (Petrol) rocks big time. The new 4th-gen model just completed selling 2.5lac units since it launched early in 2014. That speaks a lot for itself. It might be worth a dekko.

That said, the D-segment is not very exciting currently in India. They're not very practical from the larger point of view in India. Right now SUVs, compact SUVs, MUVs, tiny things called cars, and such, are in demand.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's your choice. I just tried to give another perspective. All the best.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 19:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
II've managed to find a 2014 manual Corolla for 12.85L and a 2015 automatic Corolla for 16.9L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
You're considering a second-hand D-segment car for 16.9 lacs! That's way too much, I think.
Excellent point made by pixantz. It's not worth spending that much on a used D-segment car, when you can get brand new car which offers nearly the same amount of comfort and convenience.

If I were you, I would consider Honda City Automatic. Another car that would be in my radar would be the upcoming Verna. Creta in Diesel Automatic variant wowed many, and you can expect Hyundai to take refinement up a notch with the Verna, in its fight with City and Ciaz.
Old 30th June 2017, 19:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you have owned an automatic and petrol, stick with the Corolla automatic. Its a logical choice compared to the S-Cross 1.6.

I'd go with S-Cross 1.6 only if you are looking for a fun driving diesel car. It's on any day going to be noisier than the 1.8L. And as a former petrol car owner, you'll notice it immediately.

Both powertrains are reliable. Corolla's 1.8 has been around in India itself for quite sometime. Fiat 1.6 is new for India, but has been doing duty on several cars including the S-Cross, Tipo etc in Europe.

About maintenance, I suppose S-Cross 1.6 is going to be slightly on the higher side due to some imported consumables. There were discussions around this on the S-Cross (which I have been following for my own prospective purchase).
I felt that, as well. The S-Cross 1.6 is a noisy car compared to the Civic's & Corolla's silky smooth petrol. But, its fun-to-drive nature definitely compensates for it.
A family member owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla automatic and he has only been doing regular oil changes and tyre changes over its 12 years with only minor niggles. If that's not proof of their bulletproof reliability then, I don't know what is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
You're considering a second-hand D-segment car for 16.9 lacs! That's way too much, I think. You seem to be a D-segment guy but you can get a brand new C-segment sedan for that much. If it's ok with you. That too Automatic. And a new car beats an old one any day, if you think about it a bit.

I would have gone for the Honda City if I was you. You'd get almost the top spec version for 16 lac odd. It's almost what a Civic stands for interior-wise, and then some. Good rear bench, spacious, practical, reliable, efficient, all good. The i-vtec (Petrol) rocks big time. The new 4th-gen model just completed selling 2.5lac units since it launched early in 2014. That speaks a lot for itself. It might be worth a dekko.

That said, the D-segment is not very exciting currently in India. They're not very practical from the larger point of view in India. Right now SUVs, compact SUVs, MUVs, tiny things called cars, and such, are in demand.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's your choice. I just tried to give another perspective. All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Excellent point made by pixantz. It's not worth spending that much on a used D-segment car, when you can get brand new car which offers nearly the same amount of comfort and convenience.

If I were you, I would consider Honda City Automatic. Another car that would be in my radar would be the upcoming Verna. Creta in Diesel Automatic variant wowed many, and you can expect Hyundai to take refinement up a notch with the Verna, in its fight with City and Ciaz.
I did test drive the new Honda City automatic petrol and felt that it was a bit overpriced. Moreover, the overall flimsy build quality and subdued driving feel did not appeal to me. The engine is surely a gem, yes. But, as soon as I drove back home in the Civic, I went, "Ah, this is a true Honda!". The gritty steering feel and surge of power is an experience like no other.

Not a Hyundai fan purely because of the steering wheels they put in their car. The absolute lack of feel turns me off Hyundai cars big-time! But, will surely check out the new Verna and give it a chance.
Old 30th June 2017, 20:10   #7
BHPian

Go ahead with the 2015 Corolla Altis Automatic. It is the best switch for you from your Civic. You are used to driving a petrol automatic so a diesel manual would be a big change, more so for your dad. Therefore an automatic makes more sense. However, bargain down the price of the Altis. 16.9 lakhs is a bit too much for a 2 year old car. You should be paying around 15.5 lakhs or so for it, maybe 16 if it is in really good nick and belongs to a known person.

I don't think you should look at C-Segment sedans. They will be a downgrade for you in terms of materials at least. Whatever said, D-Segment certainly feel better on the inside and are a size bigger than C-Segment sedans. A barely used D-Segment car for less than the price of a new C-Segment car is a good deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks