Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan would you choose?
Maruti Dzire 122 36.31%
Tata Tigor 40 11.90%
Hyundai Xcent 11 3.27%
Honda Amaze 23 6.85%
Ford Aspire 97 28.87%
Volkswagen Ameo 30 8.93%
Tata Zest 13 3.87%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 20:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire Facelift vs Maruti Suzuki Dzire vs Others

If he is going to retain it for long time, then I would suggest Aspire, entire Ford lineup is completely different from cars that were unreliable. Ikon, Old fiesta and first generation Endeavour were the problematic ones with regards to maintenance!

Dzire on the other hand has very good resale value and better space inside. Aspire would be my pick for having slightly safer crash-test rating.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 20:27   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
He's wanting to change his 2004 Hyundai Santro Xing, which has covered approx. 50K Kms during the years.
Your friend's driving average is even worse than mine lol, 15 years approximately to cover 50k kms at an average of 3330 odd kms per year.

Which leads me to believe that most cars should easily see 7-8 years with such driving, heck even the tyres will last that long. I don't think your friend has anything to worry about in terms of reliability, to me the Ford Aspire is not only better looking, more proportional but also a more complete sedan, the rear seating is most definitely more comfortable than the DZire, and also the car has better height for the headroom and ingress/egress. That's what I found with my Uber experiences of both vehicles.

I'd personally opt for Aspire and with such low running there may be very little to worry about, however I should add a disclaimer that avoiding a lemon is a gamble, any car across any brand can dish one out. In my associates circle which includes almost any brand of car including high-end ones, very few have had problems.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 20:30   #48
BHPian

Voted Others

Why doesn't he look at the Nexon? IMHO It is an amazing package for the money and the 5 star safety rating more than makes it up for me. Yes, the petrol is quite uninspiring but not to the point that its troublesome and its a fresh design which will keep it fresh for quite a few years too. He may have to extend the budget a bit for the top variants but its well worth it
Old 21st January 2019, 20:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Voted others.

How about the JTP Tigor ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Why doesn't he look at the Nexon?
Tata has been ruled out by his family, unfortunately.

Also, Tigor is a good buy for auto-enthusiasts, not for A to B point people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
However, if settling for the Baleno (lower variants),
As per the new leaks, the facelifted Baleno will offer much more features at Zeta level than the existing Zeta, and the UV glass is an acceptable trade-off, provided the FL prices don't get skewed a lot.

Last edited by sharktale : 21st January 2019 at 20:57.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car looks good on paper, but his joint-family members have had really bad experiences regarding the Ford maintenance, and have stated the car requires too much maintenance as something fails or the other.
Those were the old days of Ford India where service was average and parts were expensive. I owned an Ikon from that era.

The cars sold today, especially the Aspire is a car made for our market. Good packaging, decent all round quality, cheap to run and fix. Service should be the least of your worries.

I would not touch a Dzire with that relic of a diesel engine. The petrol engine makes a strong case for itself.
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The usage is minimal and city-bound only and is looking for a Compact Sedan /Hatchback in the range INR 6-8 Lakhs.

....the car requires too much maintenance as something fails or the other.

What will you guys recommend? How has the experience for Ford Aspire been for the owners here?
I have owned the Aspire for the last 3 years, and I will most definitely recommend it over the others. For your friend's running and budget, I would suggest the Petrol. And also the titanium plus if he can stretch a bit, just for the 6 airbags. I actually own the base Ambiente variant, and it has kept me and my family safe during an accident, so it is a safe car even otherwise.

Regarding service and maintenance, your family's notion of it being troublesome is out-dated. My experience with them has been exemplary - they are very eager to satisfy and costs are very cheap. During the warranty period, they will not crib for replacements - he can buy upto 5 years warranty, like I have.

The only issue I have with my car is the poor low end torque, but that has been fixed in the 3-pot of the facelift.

When someone tells you that the build quality of the new Fords is not like the older ones, they are partly right. The sheet metal is definitely thinner (better than the Maruti's though), but the structure of the car is of the same strength as before.

Lastly, if it matters to your friend, it is fun to drive. Period.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting on behalf of a friend.

He's wanting to change his 2004 Hyundai Santro Xing, which has covered approx. 50K Kms during the years.
If you ask me, while the 1.2K series engine is a fantastic one (I have been driving one for the last 7 years), I feel the better value for money package is the Aspire. The new Dragon engine is also a lovely one to drive. I found the Aspire on my test drives to be very comfortable, with a good driving position and ride comfort. Safety features are also commendable.

Fords today are as reliable as any Maruti, especially the tried and tested 1.5 TDCI model- offers a fantastic mix of performance, reliability and mileage. Maintenance costs of Fords are comparable to any Maruti/ Honda etc, and maintenance should not be a concern at all in today's day and age.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:16   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Posting on behalf of a friend.

The usage is minimal and city-bound only and is looking for a Compact Sedan /Hatchback in the range INR 6-8 Lakhs.

He has shortlisted the following :

Dzire :
Aspire :
Let your friend take a TD and check out both cars in person. Honestly there is little difference in all the 4-5 offerings present in the compact sedan segment. They are all built to a cost. Period.

Having said that, the Aspire is a slightly better built car out of the two. I checked both just last month for a colleague and the Aspire came out on top. The servicing cost is going to be the same for both and it would not be surprising if it is more for Maruti as Ford has really tried to address this recently. But in the end, it goes without saying that the resale value for Maruti will trump all others in the segment. But again since you are looking at a very long term ownership, this should not be of much concern.

My advice is to go and experience all the cars in this segment and then take a call.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Plus, he's very very concerned about the reliability ascept on the Ford.
We have both Ford and Maruti at home. I suggest not too much concerned about the reliability aspect. Maruti Swift 11.5 years and 230K KMs very reliable not let me down at any point of time. Ford Figo 1st Gen (2010 Sep) with 134K KMs not too far behind. Only once gear shift bush has given away and we kind of managed the situation from getting stranded. Having said that I like Ford over Maruti for overall build quality, ride quality and overall maintenance cost. Yes, it's cheaper than Maruti, believe it. I also like it's TDCI compared to DDis which does not matter to you as you are looking at petrol. Not to mention Ford service experience also got much better compared to earlier years of our ownership.

With this overall positive experience, recently I have recommended Freestyle over Swift for my close friend. He also test drove, liked it and bought it.
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Dzire vs other compact sedans

We now have two Ford Fiesta's and have had a whole bunch of Maruti cars in the family. Whatever else is said and done, Maruti is not a great car when it comes to build and safety, and even the longevity of car parts, but overall it is the best package if you live in an area where service is difficult. Must admit, Ford service has improved in terms of cost, and reach, but unless you have a service centre close by, it is like most other options in the list above. Only Maruti and Hyundai have a great dealer network that is spread out across most rural areas. For me, in terms of an overall package I would pick the Dzire, but it is definitely not the best car of the lot. the Honda, Ford and VW are better vehicles, but service is a major concern unless you live in a big city.
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The usage is minimal and city-bound only and is looking for a Compact Sedan /Hatchback in the range INR 6-8 Lakhs
Looks like your friend is fine with a hatchback too.
Eyes closed swift petrol.
You will get great discounts for 2018 models. If the car is kept for a long time the year doesn’t matter much during resale.
I would stay clear of Ford, for long term ownership. The fuel injector issue in my 1st gen Figo diesel was an eye opener for me. The maintenance might be similar as advertised,but some spares are exorbitantly priced.
greendream is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed