Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
I have test driven both cars and my heart sang when I drove the 1.8 TSI which wasn’t the case with the TDI. Since I am buying a used car which most likely will be out of warranty or very soon will get out of it, I can’t risk buying the 1.8 TSI with the DQ200. So I have to make do with the TDI.
In IMHO, You should go for the 1.8 TSI. You are already allocating a certain amount for repair and maintenance, Why not add the DQ200 to that and then leave it to chance. All the others financial factors remain constant between the TSI and the TDI. This is already an impulse buy for you so I say keep your heart singing!
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:53   #17
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
In IMHO, You should go for the 1.8 TSI. You are already allocating a certain amount for repair and maintenance, Why not add the DQ200 to that and then leave it to chance. All the others financial factors remain constant between the TSI and the TDI. This is already an impulse buy for you so I say keep your heart singing!

Thanks Esma. You know me well. Watch out for this space
Old 26th August 2017, 12:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have test driven both cars and my heart sang when I drove the 1.8 TSI which wasn’t the case with the TDI. Since I am buying a used car which most likely will be out of warranty or very soon will get out of it, I can’t risk buying the 1.8 TSI with the DQ200. So I have to make do with the TDI.
Yes I agree, all that power in the 1.8 TSI is almost like a waste.

Believe me, it is not necessary that a used Octavia will be out of warranty. The best option is to check with dealers and probably even the company directly on the cars they use specifically by the press for reviews. When I was on the look out for a car in this segment in September last year, I came across a 2015 Jetta which was owned directly by VW Group Sales and registered in Chakan. It had done only 17k kms and had around 05 months of warranty left on it. I picked it up for 17 lakhs and took extended warranty (till 2019) and I have been a very happy man since then.

I chose the Jetta over a used Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG (for its superior drive over the Octavia) and even over a used Audi A4 (for more space as compared to the A4).

So check the used cars online and you just might find one of these.

https://www.carwale.com/used/skoda-o...uel=2&year=0-2

Quote:
I agree on the Jetta and I have mentioned it earlier in the thread that I just find the looks outdated or boring.
On the contrary I have found the Jetta to be better looking that the Octavia because it has this timeless classic look. But to each his own.

Last edited by Epic : 26th August 2017 at 12:54.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 20:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes I agree, all that power in the 1.8 TSI is almost like a waste.
Believe me, it is not necessary that a used Octavia will be out of warranty. The best option is to check with dealers and probably even the company directly on the cars they use specifically by the press for reviews. When I was on the look out for a car in this segment in September last year, I came across a 2015 Jetta which was owned directly by VW Group Sales and registered in Chakan. It had done only 17k kms and had around 05 months of warranty left on it. I picked it up for 17 lakhs and took extended warranty (till 2019) and I have been a very happy man since then.
Well, I may be able to find some car like that but then since I intend to keep it for at least 4 years it will eventually get out of warrantly before that time period which will make me nervous. Plus I don’t want to spend an amount on a pre owned car which is just 20- 30% less than what I were to pay for the same model brand new. I was on the verge of finalising the deal for a 2014 Octavia which I thought I would have got it for 50% of the original on road price. I however think that the dealer closed the deal with someone else. I’ll keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I chose the Jetta over a used Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG (for its superior drive over the Octavia) and even over a used Audi A4 (for more space as compared to the A4).
On the contrary I have found the Jetta to be better looking that the Octavia because it has this timeless classic look. But to each his own.
Thanks Epic. Yes, to each his own. It’s a matter of heart over mind. My mind knows that the Jetta has the superior drive because of the multi link suspension and also the design will age better, however it is the Octavia for me. It reminds me of the hindi phrase which loosely translated means.

‘When your heart falls for something incongruous then even an Angel can’t swoon you’

No offence to any Octavia owners. Personal views here
Old 4th September 2017, 15:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My mind knows that the Jetta has the superior drive because of the multi link suspension and also the design will age better, however it is the Octavia for me.
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Can we order the spares online and get the Octavia converted to "Multi link suspension"? Since the Petrol comes with "Multi link suspension", shouldn't this be a easy conversion job? If yes,
*How much it cost?
*Is it worth the effort?
*Upgrading to good Bilstein's would do the job?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 4th September 2017 at 15:47. Reason: 3:47
Old 6th September 2017, 01:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Can we order the spares online and get the Octavia converted to "Multi link suspension"? Since the Petrol comes with "Multi link suspension", shouldn't this be a easy conversion job? If yes,
*How much it cost?
*Is it worth the effort?
*Upgrading to good Bilstein's would do the job?

Technically it should be possible but I am not sure as it is not as simple as it sounds. Probably some Octavia owner can comment. The current generation was launched in 2013. It's been 4 years and I think not many must have chosen to change the suspension set up in this much time. If it is even possible then it might be a very expansive affair.

Depending on the cost one can comment if it is worth it.

Bilstein's have the superior gas struts but they won't compensate for having independent suspension as the entire rear side will still be linked together with the torsion beam.
Old 6th September 2017, 07:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Why not 'leap frog' directly to the Skoda Octavia vRS! Man what a leap it would be! Take that 'leap of faith' in Skoda!
Old 7th September 2017, 01:29   #23
BHPian

Last year, I bought a BMW 320D Touring (F31) with 66K miles and the clutch failed within 2 months of buying it, however I would still wholeheartedly recommend the beemer IF that is your dream car!

My circumstances were different from yours:
1. I live in London so take public transport to work and my driving is limited to 'social and pleasure' purpose at weekends.
2. New cars are lot more affordable here and hence make that much more sense but nearly-used cars are well maintained and don't feel that different from new. It is a difficult choice!

I eventually decided to go for a nearly-new-high-mileage diesel F31 which we could use for long trips in UK/Europe and a new VW UP for my wife which works out better on inner-city short trips in London.

My F31 was only 2 yrs old, came with full BMW history and had a year left on warranty which mitigated some risk with the unusually high motorway mileage.

Apart from the clutch issue, it drives like clockwork, feels almost new and drives better than the UP. Unlike India, German cars here have a reputation for 200-300K mileages so if you find the right car - go for it!
nileshdias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 09:16   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshdias View Post
Last year, I bought a BMW 320D Touring (F31) with 66K miles and the clutch failed within 2 months of buying it, however I would still wholeheartedly recommend the beemer IF that is your dream car!

My F31 was only 2 yrs old, came with full BMW history and had a year left on warranty which mitigated some risk with the unusually high motorway mileage.

Apart from the clutch issue, it drives like clockwork, feels almost new and drives better than the UP. Unlike India, German cars here have a reputation for 200-300K mileages so if you find the right car - go for it!
66k on a single clutch is reasonable. Dont worry about the high motorway miles, better that 30000 miles done in town. The engine would have been running at optimum temperature, at low RPM and less dynamic loading.

Just hope the previous keeper would have simmered the turbo before switching off. That might be the only issue you will find.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Just hope the previous keeper would have simmered the turbo before switching off. That might be the only issue you will find.
But considering the turbo is water cooled, and I believe they don't need to be idled before shutting down, will this really be an issue?
Old 7th September 2017, 10:52   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
But considering the turbo is water cooled, and I believe they don't need to be idled before shutting down, will this really be an issue?
My bad, did not realise that F31's have watercooled turbo's

Last edited by ajmat : 7th September 2017 at 11:06.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:57   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My bad, did not realised that F31's have watercooled turbo's
I think they started using water cooled turbos in the N47N engine, which was in the last batch of the E90s too.
Old 7th September 2017, 21:32   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. With the Skoda vRS launch I was extremely tempted to go and book one. I liked the blue colour. Fortunately the dealers in Bombay don't have the blue in stock and it stopped me from taking that step as it almost got me blinded in throwing all my calculations out of the window and buying something in an impulse. The GST cess on the cars will increase in a week and then the car will go beyond 32 lacs on road. That will hold me back from buying the car. I had seen a 2014 Diesel Octavia with a dealer but I didn't follow up as I was keenly waiting for the vRS launch. That particular car is now sold. I think I'll go back to driving the Linea and forget the second car for some time. Moderators - you may please close the thread as I am deferring the purchase decision. Thanks everyone with your inputs. My apologies for taking your time.
Old 6th November 2017, 21:07   #29
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have an update. The last message which I posted was after feeling disappointed or I’d rather say exasperated in trying to buy a car either new or pre-owned. Although I mentioned that I’ll go back to driving the Linea, I was looking up the classifieds for cars such as the BMW or Octavia. I was relying more on carwale.com and not on the free classifieds. Personally I feel that someone who isn’t willing to shell out a few rupees on paying for the classified fee will not be the type of person I would like to deal with.

Edit Note: I was under the impression that one had to pay a certain fee to list on carwale.com. Esma1981 just corrected me that it has free listings. What I meant was that I didn't want to check sites such as Olx and Quikr.com Anyway, I stand corrected.

I saw an Octavia 1.8 TSI which was Feb 2016 manufactured. Asking price on the site was 15.5 lacs. I thought the seller might have kept some room for negotiation. When I met him he told me that he’s getting offers of 17 lacs for the car. I walked away as I didn’t want to spend that kind of money on the used Octavia. I was also looking out for BMWs which were in the 20 – 22 lac price range which were not more than 4 years old.

Finally I found something and got her home yesterday. I would like to thank all the members who contributed to the thread and had recommendations on the car to buy. Naming them here. VW2010, GTO, n.devdath, IshaanIan, Turbanator, Epic, Esma1981, Durango Dude, nileshdias, ajmat and of course a Big Thank you to Akshay1234. I also consulted friends whom I have made through Tbhp. Esma1981 and Swapzone.

I follow threads of BMW 3 Series ownership and also the 530D Ownership threads of GTO and Tanveer_2558. I only read these reviews but hardly post because I have limited knowledge with these cars and hence don’t have much to contribute which will be of value to others. I however want to share something here. I bought the car from a car dealer in Andheri West – Quick Cars. The business owner here is Amit Sidhwani. After the deal was finalized I casually mentioned about Tbhp. While discussing the forum Amit mentioned that he has sold quite a few cars to people who are on TBhp. This is when I learnt that both GTO and Tanveer bought their cars from him. Amit called Tanveer and I happened to speak to him from there. This gave me some reassurance that the dealer has some strong reference from our forum members. Thank You Tanveer for your inputs. I also am friends with Nilesh (Sawnilrules). I have consulted him on my car purchase decision for the Octavia. I gave him a surprise last week that I bought the Beemer.

So I got a 2013 December manufactured 320D SportsLine.

Time for some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-img_5789.jpg  

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-img_5791.jpg  

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-img_5803.jpg  

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-img_5823.jpg  

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-img_5828.jpg  

Pre-owned BMW 320d, pre-owned Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI, or brand new Octavia 1.8 TSI DSG?-img_5804.jpg  

Last edited by RajBajwa : 6th November 2017 at 21:17. Reason: Esma1981 just corrected me that carwale.com has free listing.
RajBajwa is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 01:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:

So I got a 2013 December manufactured 320D SportsLine.
Congratulations man!! Finally your heart won and got your hands on the Bimmer .

I am wishing you lot of happy miles ahead and I hope this car will serve you for a long time ahead!!. All black interiors?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks