Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 16:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Used Skoda Octavia vRS or used Fiat Linea T-Jet

I feel that you have to let go of some priorities for others. For instance, you canīt have a car with low driving position and high GC. As for the reliability of the Octavia, the 1.9 PD was a very good work horse but the 1.8TPI always had issues. If you have to get a Skoda, get the normal 1.8 TPI, would be better maintained for the price and is a complete sleeper. I would suggest a Polo 1.6 though it is not very high off the ground but it runs well on CNG. A Laura TDI would be quite expensive to maintain.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 22:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
I think you should number your requirements based on priority. Especially, the bit about CNG kit and fun-to-drive. And then the sub-requirements like exclusivity.
Because, I feel FTD and CNG don't go hand-in-hand. Like mentioned in earlier posts, adding a CNG kit would be counter-productive to the car's engine, as well as it'll reduce boot-space.
Otherwise, if it IS an absolute necessity, the only one that ticks those 2 boxes is the SX4. Handles decently, can be converted to CNG, big boot, has good GC, and old 1.6 is quite torquey. But then it's not that exclusive.
Apart from those already suggested, I would also suggest you to look at Laura TDI MT's and Jetta TDI MT's. You might have to stretch your budget a bit, but these being MT's are relatively more reliable than the DSG models.
When ever someone starts the search for next car, he/she expects to buy the perfect car and later on realises that none exist. Most probably I'm going through that phase only.
Will think again and list down my requirements according to priority though without thinking I can say that I am not interested in Suzuki or Hyundai just because of the exclusivity problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Most Octy VRS's are run into the ground. Any good low milaege ones still have niggles due to the cars age. it also does not like hot weather. Parts are not getting scarce. Avoid

T-Jet might be fun but it looks lke another Linea

Spend a bit more and buy an Abarth or a used Laura TSI
Thanks, have finally decided to stay away from Octy, leave alone vRS.
Some basic mods here and there could make it look different, also in NCR every other car isn't a Fiat and I'm happy with that much exclusivity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm gonna advise you a bit differently from others here. With your requirement of the vehicle and budget, will suggest you the Linea Tjet. I know people who have used CNG in Linea Tjet without problems for years. Your boot space will be reduced, but it will not become zero. You can get a low mileage Linea Tjet for 2.2-2.7 lakh and spend 50-60k on a good sequential CNG kit.

Not sure what the market is in the North, but have seen plenty of Tjets for sale in Pune, Mumbai and Bangalore. A friend got a Linea Tjet recently from Pune for a mouthwatering price.

Slightly OT - but turbo engines run CNG good and the power loss is not as much as their NA counterpart.
If CNG works on Linea Tjet then it will tick all the check boxes but I'm sure it will be hard to find one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I feel that you have to let go of some priorities for others. For instance, you canīt have a car with low driving position and high GC. As for the reliability of the Octavia, the 1.9 PD was a very good work horse but the 1.8TPI always had issues. If you have to get a Skoda, get the normal 1.8 TPI, would be better maintained for the price and is a complete sleeper. I would suggest a Polo 1.6 though it is not very high off the ground but it runs well on CNG. A Laura TDI would be quite expensive to maintain.
I think it will be better if I stay away from Skoda for the time being. Hatchback and CNG won't work for me at all but should Vento be under consideration?
Old 26th August 2017, 00:30   #18
BHPian

I'm a bit skeptical about the Tjet CNG conversion, as that will throw question marks on the A.S.S. I don't think there are many (If any) CNG Tjets out there and the service centres may not be well versed in handling with them.
If you don't mind the fuel expenses though, the Tjet is the perfect car for your needs. (sans the CNG of course)

Both Vento/Polo siblings could have bottoming out issues on rough roads, in the hills. I guess others who have owned/driven them can tell you better.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 10:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
If CNG works on Linea Tjet then it will tick all the check boxes but I'm sure it will be hard to find one.

I think it will be better if I stay away from Skoda for the time being. Hatchback and CNG won't work for me at all but should Vento be under consideration?
I think you need to take a step back and list your priorities in order of importance. Vento sure can be under consideration, but what vintage? and how much are you looking at in maintenance costs.

Cheap and fast (FTD) will not be reliable. Is this going to be your only car - if yes, then I think you ought to put more importance on reliability!

Similarly: Is the budget stretchable? By how much? Or is there some spare stash you have for when things go wrong. And believe me, on any of the exclusive cars, when things go wrong, they require cash & time. There is a reason why they are exclusive
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 11:27   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Most Octy VRS's are run into the ground. Any good low milaege ones still have niggles due to the cars age.
^^ This is the problem with Octavia vRS or even the Rider 1.8TPI. I bought a used (i was 2nd owner)2007 vRS. It was cosmetically shabby but mechanically very good with no major problems. The more i drove the car the niggles (like auto lock not working on a door) started to disappear. But they demand more TLC.

Engine wise the late 2007 model units are pretty reliable. They have couple of issues but are relatively easy to fix and take care of for an informed owner with spare time.

Some of the parts that are used in the Octavia still lives on in the Vento/Polo and can be interchanged example -windshield washer motor, front suspension mounts, bearing, top cap, rear axle beam bush and some other components. Other parts can still be sourced from Skoda through some friendly authorised dealers. I bought new headlights (without hid bulbs and electronics) through one such Skoda dealer.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th August 2017 at 12:10. Reason: Removing quote tags :)
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 17:18   #21
BHPian

A great car to buy in the price range is the Honda City 3rd generation with the sweet ivtec motor and good space all round. My cousin just sold his 2010 Honda City S model for 3.2 lakh DL registration done 90k kms fully serviced at authorised centres in very good condition to Honda Used car division. It's a car that can be concerted to CNG too (pretty popular in NCR) but loses out on the exclusivity factor compared to other cars you have mentioned. The GC is decent better than the Civic and it has not been a major issue in hill drives that he has undertaken in the last 7 years.

A linea tjet and the Ford Fiesta S or 1.6 are the only 2 cars that have some exclusivity and you should be able to get a reasonably clean car in your budget. I advise you to start searching and driving all the cars that you find of the above two models since buying a pre owned car is much more than just deciding on the model you want and each car has to be assessed on various parameters separately. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th August 2017 at 21:27. Reason: Strictly no abbreviations (ANHC) while referring to cars on the forum please. Thanks!
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 23:08   #22
BHPian

One car which can fill all your requirements to the T would be...
Chevrolet Cruze!
Explosive Power, check!
Decent FE being a diesel, check!
Looker, check!
Decent reliability, check!
Servive & Maintenance, bit on expensive side but still better than vRS and T jet so check!
Ground Clearance better than vRS and comparable to T jet, check!
Safety and features, check!
Netural handling, check!
Parts availability, check!
Diesel remap, double check!!
Used examples from 2009 to 2012 can be had for 4 lakhs max, check!

I've owned vRS in past and sold it off in 2015 and still own cruze since 2010. So i can whole heartedly recommend you the cruze, you will find hell lot of used examples in the market now!
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 20:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
A great car to buy in the price range is the Honda City 3rd generation with the sweet ivtec motor and good space all round. My cousin just sold his 2010 Honda City S model for 3.2 lakh DL registration done 90k kms fully serviced at authorised centres in very good condition to Honda Used car division. It's a car that can be concerted to CNG too (pretty popular in NCR) but loses out on the exclusivity factor compared to other cars you have mentioned. The GC is decent better than the Civic and it has not been a major issue in hill drives that he has undertaken in the last 7 years.

A linea tjet and the Ford Fiesta S or 1.6 are the only 2 cars that have some exclusivity and you should be able to get a reasonably clean car in your budget. I advise you to start searching and driving all the cars that you find of the above two models since buying a pre owned car is much more than just deciding on the model you want and each car has to be assessed on various parameters separately. Hope this helps.
Honda City is a great car but Honda has a good resale value, especially when compared to Fiat so my heart is more towards Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
One car which can fill all your requirements to the T would be...
Chevrolet Cruze!
Explosive Power, check!
Decent FE being a diesel, check!
Looker, check!
Decent reliability, check!
Servive & Maintenance, bit on expensive side but still better than vRS and T jet so check!
Ground Clearance better than vRS and comparable to T jet, check!
Safety and features, check!
Netural handling, check!
Parts availability, check!
Diesel remap, double check!!
Used examples from 2009 to 2012 can be had for 4 lakhs max, check!

I've owned vRS in past and sold it off in 2015 and still own cruze since 2010. So i can whole heartedly recommend you the cruze, you will find hell lot of used examples in the market now!
Cruze is an amazing car and does fulfill all my requirements but I'm not sure if I can get one at the price you have mentioned. It would be great if you could share your view on its maintenance cost, considering that it will be really hard to find a car that run less than 70,000 - 80,000 km.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th August 2017 at 21:28. Reason: Strictly no abbreviations (ANHC) while referring to cars on the forum please. Thanks!
Old 28th August 2017, 13:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
confused between Skoda Octavia vRS and Fiat Linea TJet.

So is there any way the Octavia's GC issue can be solved?
Presently own octy vrs and linea. both have GC issues. octy little worse. Laura tsi is your best bet.

Quote:

Any good low milaege ones still have niggles due to the cars age. it also does not like hot weather. Parts are not getting scarce. Avoid
Mine is good after all the initial niggles faced in first 6 months. Parts are mostly available off the shelf. spares are still priced the same. i bought a used tucson 2 years ago, spares cost 30% more than what skoda charges me.
Old 28th August 2017, 13:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The old Octavia 1.9TDi was a beast in terms of reliability, but the vRS needed a little more TLC; and owing to it's nature - a lot of owners have abused the car as well.

The Laura TDi again is a great bet, provided you get the 2.0TDi, and not the PD engine. However, getting a well maintained example in that budget will be a little difficult.

Why not something like a Corolla? Reliable, parts available easily, and good GC and performance. It won't be brilliant to drive, nor will it have low seating - but then again, a low vehicle will not be happy running around the hills with poor roads.
Old 28th August 2017, 18:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My budget is 2-3 lakhs and my requirements are as follows.
1. Low sitting position
2. Fun to drive
3. Safety features (Airbags and ABS are a must)
4. Would prefer a fuel bill that doesn't hurt the pocket much.
Don't we all want a car that fits all these requirements and costs just 2-3 lakhs

Given your requirements (like taking it out on a holiday too), I would urge you to extend your budget or stay away from anything which is in the 2-3 lakh budget, especially when you don't want high maintenance / upkeep costs to follow.

I wouldn't recommend anything other than the Laura (TSI Manual or DSG 2.0 CR) for a fun to drive car given your requirements. Linea is like a segment down and would obviously come cheaper but if I were you, I'd wait a year or two, save more dough and get a Laura than a Linea.

Do note, when going for a segment like the Laura's, be prepared for the money that you MAY have to shell out for consumable parts and they are expensive!
Old 3rd September 2017, 22:11   #27
BHPian

After thinking a lot, I am now considering Honda Civic and installing CNG in it.
It will check most of the check boxes.
1. Low sitting position
2. Fun to drive
3. Safety features
4. Would prefer a fuel bill that doesn't hurt the pocket much. (CNG)
5. Not a very common car
It has issues with the suspension but I will try to manage that as it checks all the other requirements.
I am expecting to find 2007-2009 Civics with 50-70k on the odo in a budget of 2-3L.
Also, there is an extensive thread for Civic's Maintainance.
What are the things that should be kept in mind while checking it?
Old 13th October 2017, 17:30   #28
BHPian

New Pre-owned Car (oh the irony in that statement). Would love to have view of some seniors on this query

a) My current car is Toyota Corolla J - 2006 model purchased in 2010 and these 7 years have been joyful and pure bliss.
Whenever there was a niggle the car managed to get us to our destination without any issues.

This is precisely what am looking now that there is a itch for a change

b) Considerations - Jetta Diesel (manual transmission)
- Car will be between 2009 to 2011 as it matches the budget
- Will Jetta be reliable (or even if there is an issue will it get us to our destination)
considering that family goes on looong drives - Mumbai - Gujarat - Abu - Jaipur and at times to Delhi and back.

Looking for diesel to save on the fuel cost on long drives and unfortunately in Japanese there are not many diesel options available.

Thank you
Deepak

Mod note - Your post is very poorly constructed. Please use CAPITAL letters where required. Use spaces properly (between sentences as well as paragraphs). These steps would go a long way in making your posts pleasurable to read for all of us (members & guests included).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th October 2017 at 18:02.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Laura TDi again is a great bet, provided you get the 2.0TDi, and not the PD engine. However, getting a well maintained example in that budget will be a little difficult
Could you highlight the differences between the PD and TDI engines of the Skoda? Though I know that TDI is a much superior engine, a friend keeps arguing that the PD engine is superior
Old 16th October 2017, 10:21   #30
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Could you highlight the differences between the PD and TDI engines of the Skoda? Though I know that TDI is a much superior engine, a friend keeps arguing that the PD engine is superior
Let me list out the differences:

1)The 1.9 tdi is PD(Pump Duse) and the 2.0 tdi is CR(Common Rail) technology.

2)The CR motor is very refined when compared with the PD motor.

3)Reliability is more or less equal contrary to the belief that older engines are more reliable. I have seen 2.0 CR engines with more than 3 lakhs on the odo.

4)The performance is much better but there is a mild turbo lag which not very disturbing.

5)The fuel efficiency is the same with both motors.

6)The 1.9 tdi being 90's tech I am not sure about the availability of rare parts since it was phased out long back.
GT3 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed