Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2017, 00:12   #1
BHPian

Used Skoda Octavia vRS or used Fiat Linea T-Jet

I am looking for a pre-owned fun to drive car and am confused between Skoda Octavia vRS and Fiat Linea TJet.

Test drove an Octavia vRS (2006) and was blown away by its power. But the thing that's bothering me is that I plan to take it on outstation trips, mainly hilly roads and I don't think it's GC will allow that . If the front bumper touches even small speed breakers then I don't want to imagine what it will go through on bad patches of Himachal/ Uttarakhand.

I haven't driven a Linea TJet before but have owned a Grande Punto 1.3 mjd. I had a smile on my face every time I drove it which is why buying a Linea TJet and then getting it remapped seems to be a good option. Wolfmoto's switchable remaps seem to be very tempting and Linea shouldn't cause any problem on outstation trips as well.

Also, I would like to mention that my family has been spoilt by turbo diesel's power and efficiency and usually doesn't even consider petrol cars because of the additional expense. But Octavia vRS's power is unforgettable and has forced us to think again.

So is there any way the Octavia's GC issue can be solved? And which car would be a better buy for me? Also, can CNG be considered on any of these cars as then it will be a bit easier for the heart to convince the mind?

My budget is 2-3 lakhs and my requirements are as follows.
1. Low sitting position
2. Fun to drive
3. Safety features (Airbags and ABS are a must)
4. Would prefer a fuel bill that doesn't hurt the pocket much.
dhruvdangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 03:27   #2
BHPian

re: Used Skoda Octavia vRS or used Fiat Linea T-Jet

I would be more worried about the RSīs maintenance, was also looking for a used drivers car a few years ago and the RS, Laura TSI and Tjet came to my mind. I loved the Octavia but it was never a trouble free car, especially the early ones when new. After 11 years it would be very expensive. A friend had bought a used RS wagon(!) for 1.5L a few years ago but spent quite a bit on the upkeep. The ground clearance is indeed quite low, scrapes on large breakers when loaded.
The Tjet is a hoot to drive, not in the same league as the RS but very good none the less Another good option is a Fiesta 1.6, doesnīt have the outright power but brilliant chassis.
Doge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 07:24   #3
BHPian

Did you mean to say Laura VRS and not Octavia? As per my knowledge only the Laura came in the VRS guise when it was on sale. I would say Skoda as it's a much more well built German than the Italian. The vRS is a mind boggling car suited for cruising as much as enthusiastic driving.

Fitting an Octavia or Linea with a CNG kit would be killing the car altogether.

Both of them are superiorly designed cars; long distance cruisers capable of doing risky speeds and yet feel planted and safer than it's competitors. Fitting a CNG would absolutely kill the purpose of their powerful engines!

If you want a pre owned sedan which you can drive around with a CNG try a Corolla or a Camry.

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2017 at 11:23. Reason: Poorly typed post
Skyline_GT is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th August 2017, 08:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
Would prefer a fuel bill that doesn't hurt the pocket much.
This one point alone makes me wonder why you want either of these cars cause they fail miserably in this department. If you are someone who likes to see that fuel meter stuck at the F point for as long as possible, these are not the cars for you. The Skoda and Fiat are all about the drive and driver, and nothing else.

The Skoda Octavia vRS is a really old car to be considering today. You will need to find one that has low miles on the odometer and one that has not changed hands too often. You are also asking for trouble in terms of long term reliability and parts availability. If you do find a really good sample, preferably single owner, nothing like it. I'd still aim for a car with less than 50-60k km on the odometer. You will have to do a thorough inspection of the car too.

The Fiat Linea T Jet is a much safer buy but again, not many around. It will definitely cost a lot less in terms of maintenance. As a past T Jet owner for 5 years, the car is sound in terms of reliability.

What you won't like in a Linea is the seating, it is high compared to the Skoda.

I'd tread carefully for cars like these. Going by your requirements, it is better to buy something more mainstream as you don't want the car to give you any kind of trouble.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th August 2017 at 08:12.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 09:43   #5
BHPian

These are not the cars for you if you are looking at fuel bills and a tight budget of 2-3 lakhs.
Buying can be cheap but maintaining it will be expensive.
Why dont you stretch a bit and look for diesel hatchback​ and remap it if you need more fun.
brraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 10:03   #6
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Low sitting position
2. Fun to drive
Why not the Laura 1.8 TSI ??

For 3-3.5 lakhs (or even lower) in NCR, you can get a 2010-11 Laura 1.8 TSI in decent nick. IMO it ticks all your boxes. Plus buying a 6-year old Skoda is anyday better than buying a 11-year old Skoda.

Later in the future if you feel the novelty factor of the 1.8 TSI motor is lost, you can always slap some serious performance parts into the car as the Laura 1.8 TSI is still one of the most mod-friendly cars in the country.
//M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 11:28   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Skoda Octavia vRS or used Fiat Linea T-Jet

The time to buy an Octavia vRS is long gone. Whatever examples are there are too old & the car's long-term reliability was nothing to write home about either. Forget about the vRS.

Between the two, I'd anyday pick the Linea T-Jet. You'll get a far newer car. You must also consider a used Laura 1.8 TSI (they're going cheap) and the mighty Abarth Punto (if you can increase the budget). BHPian S2!!! recently picked an Abarth up for slightly over 6 lakhs. This would be my top pick.

Quote:
Also, I would like to mention that my family has been spoilt by turbo diesel's power and efficiency and usually doesn't even consider petrol cars because of the additional expense.
If you want to have your cake (power) and eat it too (efficiency), then look at turbo-diesels. But they won't match the sheer driving pleasure of these turbo-petrols.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 14:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are coming from the position of an economical fuel bill, budget of 3 lakhs and possible fitment of CNG, I'd stop you right there and say forget the Octavia vRS. You need to have deep pockets to maintain the car never-mind worrying about fuel bills. Please do your research before such purchases. Here's a thread on our own forum detailing the issues with the vRS Octavia: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...les-heels.html
go through it and you will realise that fuel bills and a budget of 3 lakhs are the least of your concerns when it comes to possible ownership of the Octy vRS

If you must have one of the two, go for the T-Jet although I'm not sure it would be easy to find one in good shape in your budget, but don't ruin the experience with CNG.

Infact going by your budget constraints, I would recommend a turbo-diesel like some already have, but fortunately our market is not that bad, we still do have an option for a cheap to buy and maintain, safe and relatively modern fun to drive car; SX4 1.6 hands down. Go for early 2006/2007 pre-VVT examples as they had altered the damping on the face-lifted cars. The early models were much better to handle. The car is much better built than other Marutis, handles impacts very well, M16 motor is a treat in this car, mileage is not so great in the early non VVT cars, but because of its rock solid reliability, you can consider a CNG kit on this car. Ground clearance is great and the 16inch wheels offer loads of grip as well as side-wall height which is hard to come by these days. Practical, fun, dirt cheap and reliable IMO

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th August 2017 at 14:23.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 15:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So is there any way the Octavia's GC issue can be solved? And which car would be a better buy for me? Also, can CNG be considered on any of these cars as then it will be a bit easier for the heart to convince the mind?

1. Low sitting position
2. Fun to drive
Most of the older Octy's available today have already had several owners, and aren't maintained well. This, plus a slightly more complex engine make it a no-go.

Linea is a great option but you need to ensure the example you're looking at is well maintained. Service is iffy, and if you're looking for a low maintenance, good fuel economy, reliable daily driver - I am not sure if I would recommend it.

For that, the Japs are the best. Look for a Facelifted Civic (with the square brake lights and smoked headlights), which is going for great deals + good service back up + reliable.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 15:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a pre-owned fun to drive car and am confused between Skoda Octavia vRS and Fiat Linea TJet.
I'm in the same situation as you. Both the cars you have shortlisted are not so easily available. As many have pointed out the VRS is too old so strike it off your list. And again as some have suggested add the Laura 1.8 TSI to your list.

Quote:
So is there any way the Octavia's GC issue can be solved?
By increasing the GC you are reducing the fun to drive factor.

Quote:
Also, can CNG be considered on any of these cars as then it will be a bit easier for the heart to convince the mind?
I wouldn't do that to a fun to drive car.

Quote:
1. Low sitting position
2. Fun to drive
Both Laura TSI and Linea T-Jet will fit the bill. Also look at the Ford Fiesta 1.6/1.6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

For 3-3.5 lakhs (or even lower) in NCR, you can get a 2010-11 Laura 1.8 TSI in decent nick. IMO it ticks all your boxes. Plus buying a 6-year old Skoda is anyday better than buying a 11-year old Skoda.

Later in the future if you feel the novelty factor of the 1.8 TSI motor is lost, you can always slap some serious performance parts into the car as the Laura 1.8 TSI is still one of the most mod-friendly cars in the country.
My +1 to that.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 16:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Why bother with the old Octavia vRS when you can get a used Laura vRS / Laura TSI for cheap these days? (If you find one of course)

Maintenance is going to be expensive, so you best be prepared for big bills!

Another interesting option would be to identify a used VW Jetta 1.4 TSI. A remap here and an exhaust there, and you have a fruity little turbocharged manual car that's reasonably reliable, spacious and solid!
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 22:10   #12
BHPian

I have recently joined team-bhp and this was the first thread that I started. Thanks a lot for this overwhelming response.
I had read somewhere that Octavia mk1 was much more reliable than Octavia mk2 (Laura) as it didn't have much electronics, which was the reason I was considering it but maybe that's not the case.
Considering all the points that you have mentioned it feels that it will be better if I stick to diesel and consider Linea MJD. Maybe consider a remap later.
It will check all the boxes for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I would be more worried about the RSīs maintenance, was also looking for a used drivers car a few years ago and the RS, Laura TSI and Tjet came to my mind. I loved the Octavia but it was never a trouble free car, especially the early ones when new. After 11 years it would be very expensive. A friend had bought a used RS wagon(!) for 1.5L a few years ago but spent quite a bit on the upkeep. The ground clearance is indeed quite low, scrapes on large breakers when loaded.
The Tjet is a hoot to drive, not in the same league as the RS but very good none the less Another good option is a Fiesta 1.6, doesnīt have the outright power but brilliant chassis.
I personally like Linea's looks more than that of Fiesta. Also, I'm expecting TJet to be much more engaging to drive than the Fiesta's engine. So if I end up buying a petrol car then I would prefer a turbo petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Did you mean to say Laura VRS and not Octavia? As per my knowledge only the Laura came in the VRS guise when it was on sale. I would say Skoda as it's a much more well built German than the Italian. The vRS is a mind boggling car suited for cruising as much as enthusiastic driving.

If you want a pre owned sedan which you can drive around with a CNG try a Corolla or a Camry.
Skoda did launch an Octavia vRS but that was for only 3-4 years most probably.
I haven't driven corolla or camry, but I'm not sure if they are designed to be driver's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
These are not the cars for you if you are looking at fuel bills and a tight budget of 2-3 lakhs.
Buying can be cheap but maintaining it will be expensive.
Why dont you stretch a bit and look for diesel hatchback and remap it if you need more fun.
As I had mentioned, I plan to do outstation trips and will require more space for luggage than what can be offered by a hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

Laura TSI is an awesome car but I'm expecting it's servicing to be very expensive. But now that you have mentioned, I think I should think about Laura TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The time to buy an Octavia vRS is long gone. Whatever examples are there are too old & the car's long-term reliability was nothing to write home about either. Forget about the vRS.

Between the two, I'd anyday pick the Linea T-Jet. You'll get a far newer car. You must also consider a used Laura 1.8 TSI (they're going cheap) and the mighty Abarth Punto (if you can increase the budget). BHPian S2!!! recently picked an Abarth up for slightly over 6 lakhs. This would be my top pick.

If you want to have your cake (power) and eat it too (efficiency), then look at turbo-diesels. But they won't match the sheer driving pleasure of these turbo-petrols.
I guess you are right, I should stick to diesel cars for the time being. Is Laura TDI reliable enough to be considered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you are coming from the position of an economical fuel bill, budget of 3 lakhs and possible fitment of CNG, I'd stop you right there and say forget the Octavia vRS. You need to have deep pockets to maintain the car never-mind worrying about fuel bills. Please do your research before such purchases. Here's a thread on our own forum detailing the issues with the vRS Octavia: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...les-heels.html
go through it and you will realise that fuel bills and a budget of 3 lakhs are the least of your concerns when it comes to possible ownership of the Octy vRS

If you must have one of the two, go for the T-Jet although I'm not sure it would be easy to find one in good shape in your budget, but don't ruin the experience with CNG.

Infact going by your budget constraints, I would recommend a turbo-diesel like some already have, but fortunately our market is not that bad, we still do have an option for a cheap to buy and maintain, safe and relatively modern fun to drive car; SX4 1.6 hands down. Go for early 2006/2007 pre-VVT examples as they had altered the damping on the face-lifted cars. The early models were much better to handle. The car is much better built than other Marutis, handles impacts very well, M16 motor is a treat in this car, mileage is not so great in the early non VVT cars, but because of its rock solid reliability, you can consider a CNG kit on this car. Ground clearance is great and the 16inch wheels offer loads of grip as well as side-wall height which is hard to come by these days. Practical, fun, dirt cheap and reliable IMO
Even though SX4 1.6 is good but I don't want to buy a Suzuki right now. I prefer a bit exclusive cars. Suzuki cars are all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Most of the older Octy's available today have already had several owners, and aren't maintained well. This, plus a slightly more complex engine make it a no-go.

Linea is a great option but you need to ensure the example you're looking at is well maintained. Service is iffy, and if you're looking for a low maintenance, good fuel economy, reliable daily driver - I am not sure if I would recommend it.

For that, the Japs are the best. Look for a Facelifted Civic (with the square brake lights and smoked headlights), which is going for great deals + good service back up + reliable.
Civic again has a GC problem and cannot be taken to hilly areas confidently. So I'm looking for better options.
Old 25th August 2017, 00:46   #13
BHPian

I think you should number your requirements based on priority. Especially, the bit about CNG kit and fun-to-drive. And then the sub-requirements like exclusivity.
Because, I feel FTD and CNG don't go hand-in-hand. Like mentioned in earlier posts, adding a CNG kit would be counter-productive to the car's engine, as well as it'll reduce boot-space.
Otherwise, if it IS an absolute necessity, the only one that ticks those 2 boxes is the SX4. Handles decently, can be converted to CNG, big boot, has good GC, and old 1.6 is quite torquey. But then it's not that exclusive.
Apart from those already suggested, I would also suggest you to look at Laura TDI MT's and Jetta TDI MT's. You might have to stretch your budget a bit, but these being MT's are relatively more reliable than the DSG models.
Rohan24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 11:51   #14
Team-BHP Support

Most Octy VRS's are run into the ground. Any good low milaege ones still have niggles due to the cars age. it also does not like hot weather. Parts are not getting scarce. Avoid

T-Jet might be fun but it looks lke another Linea

Spend a bit more and buy an Abarth or a used Laura TSI
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 12:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm gonna advise you a bit differently from others here. With your requirement of the vehicle and budget, will suggest you the Linea Tjet. I know people who have used CNG in Linea Tjet without problems for years. Your boot space will be reduced, but it will not become zero. You can get a low mileage Linea Tjet for 2.2-2.7 lakh and spend 50-60k on a good sequential CNG kit.

Not sure what the market is in the North, but have seen plenty of Tjets for sale in Pune, Mumbai and Bangalore. A friend got a Linea Tjet recently from Pune for a mouthwatering price.

Slightly OT - but turbo engines run CNG good and the power loss is not as much as their NA counterpart.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright Đ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks