Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 16:17   #1
BANNED

New Skoda Octavia vRS vs Pre-owned BMW 3-Series GT?

Bonjour fellow BHPians, I am following vRS thread in Team-BHP since last 2 months and am in two minds whether to go with it or get a pre-owned BMW GT 3 series.

Here are my requirements/filters
  • My budget is 30-32 Lakh. I will put 10-12 lakh from own pocket and will take loan for the rest. The car may be on company name so I can show it as depreciating asset (I still need to discuss this with my CA).
  • I am certainly planning to keep the car for at least 4-5 years.
  • I am not a power user and will only drive it 600KM per month to may be 1000KM at max.
Though I have not driven any of the two (vRS test drive being not available and I haven't found any good 2014-15 GT in my budget), I will appreciate if you can help me here with your input. I will take the buying decision in next 6-8 weeks and am in no rush.

Octavia vRS

PROS
  • New Car (till now, I have only bought pre-owned cars and this will be my first new car).
  • Really good reviews by Team-BHP members (though still waiting for more feedback of owners, I have only read Nikhil's review).
  • Petrol Car (I have only driven petrol in my life and don't like noisy engines)
  • With may be only 60 in Bangalore in next 12 months, it should stand out.
  • Cost of ownership/services should be cheaper as compared to BMW.

CONS
  • Skoda
  • I have heard mixed reviews about after sales service (again I have no experience, my opinion is solely based on team-bhp users).
  • Car has many sporty features which I won't be using most likely. I don't drive fast and mostly drive in city only.
BMW 3 Series GT

PROS
  • BMW
  • I have seen the 2017 model from inside at Navnit Motors, Bangalore and it looks spacious and comfortable.
  • 3 Series GT is loaded with all features and looks good too from outside.
  • After sales won't hurt as much as selling a new D segment petrol car.

CONS
  • Pre-owned, risk of seller/dealer hiding certain things.
  • High cost of maintenance, parts and service.
  • Diesel Engine (it may be too noisy and need more maintenance)

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2017 at 16:02. Reason: Language
VickyG is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2017, 18:30   #2
BANNED

re: New Skoda Octavia vRS vs Pre-owned BMW 3-Series GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyG View Post
Bonjour fellow BHPians, I am following vRS thread in Team-BHP since last 2 months and is in two minds whether to go with it or get a pre-owned BMW GT 3 series.
For your kind of usage, I would (prolly against popular vote), pick the new VRs over a pre owned GT, here is why:

1. You cannot deny the peace of mind that comes with buying a new German.
2. The VRs petrol is deathly silent and have a nice rasp when revved, something no diesel can ever match.
3. It is a slightly higher car than the Bimmer and hence is better for our moonscapes.
4. TAFE has garnered a good reputation for service and isn't as it used to be.
5. Better resale when you plan to sell it due to various factors.
6. Spacious, in the cabin and the boot with a full size spare for added practicality.
7. The power rush in the VRS is definitely better than the Bimmer.

Anything else?
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Considering your requirement criteria and having driven both these cars I would suggest you consider the vRS if you are not worried about the Skoda badge vs a BMW. Not all your relatives may ask for a "round" in the vRS but many of them will in a BMW.

Engine and performance: Your usage is very low, so petrol will work just fine in terms of economy, even if the 2.0 TSI yields you much lower average. I get 5.5 - 7.0 in the city with a 1.8 but mine is another story altogether. On the other hand, the 2.0d twin power diesels on the BMWs ARE noisy. You can clearly hear them in idling when you have stopped at a signal. The vRS is a full 40 horses more powerful, so you will surely enjoy the vRS better when you drive aggressively. There is nothing much to choose between the 6-speed DSG and the 8-speed on the Bimmer. They're both exceptionally quick and fun.

Handling: The GT handles well but is still just not good as the plain vanilla 320. Both cars come with relatively stiff suspension and manage to handle at high speeds or during cornering. The brakes and overall road manners will always be better in the BMW in my opinion and experience, but then again the vRS comes with a good set of 17" wheels and with tyres like Pilot Sport 4, you can improve these things phenomenally.

Overall ownership experience: The BMW will always have more badge value within friends and family. Otherwise, the vRS is very well loaded with features, looks exceptionally good and very practical at the same time.

With regard to service, TAFE service in Bangalore is just fine. The BMW service by Navnit is not bad either, but a service with replacement of a pair of pads will run into 50-60k per sitting whereas the vRS will be relatively much easier to maintain (also consider the warranty and newness of the car).

If you had an enthusiast's outlook towards this decision making, I would have asked you to close your eyes and pick the vRS but there are always more than engine and performance for people when they make buying decisions. I would also suggest you consider the regular 1.8 TSI Octavia if you are not looking for much performance, as it is going to save you a few lakhs.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by rocksterraghu : 19th September 2017 at 18:44.
rocksterraghu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bonjour fellow BHPians, I am following vRS thread in Team-BHP since last 2 months and is in two minds whether to go with it or get a pre-owned BMW GT 3 series.

• My budget is 30-32 Lakh. I will put 10-12 lakh from own pocket and will take loan for the rest. The car may be on company name so I can show it as depreciating asset (I still need to discuss this with my CA).
  • I am not a power user and will only drive it 600KM per month to may be 1000KM at max.
Your filters weigh in favour Octavia RS. Especially the last two.
2) Your car will be covered under warranty for the period of your ownership.
3) Your usage does not need a Diesel.

PS:
1) Interest rate on loan for used car is higher than for new cars, so based on the filters you have shared with us we have a clear winner here which is RS.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th September 2017 at 18:56.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 21:46   #5
BHPian

I was in the same boat few months back with 2 differences: Firstly, I had planned for a new BMW and not a used one. Secondly, I was looking for the 3 series and not the GT.

However I soon realised I cannot stretch my budget to buy the Bimmer and so finally bought the vRS.

In your case, I suggest the vRS unless you badly want the BMW badge. The reasons have already been mentioned by other members- The peace of mind that comes with getting a new car (especially a European car) covered by warranty, your limited usage which means a petrol will do just fine etc.

If there are elders who travel with you frequently, do keep in mind the stiff suspension set up of the RS. The Bimmer will have the more comfy ride. I am yet to drive the GT, but I think it will have the better handling thanks to the rear wheel drive (This is true with the 3 series I drove)

If you still want the GT, why not look for the petrol GT 330i?

Then there is the small issue that comes with owning a premium German car-unnecessary attention from others (neighbours, colleagues etc.). I don't like that but then this need not factor in when you decide among the 2 here.
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 23:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
For your kind of usage, I would (prolly against popular vote), pick the new VRs over a pre owned GT, here is why:

6. Spacious, in the cabin and the boot with a full size spare for added practicality.
Spacious, yes for sure. No full sized spare in the vRS though. You get a 125 section tyre to get to the puncture repair point.

vRS also has some cool features not in the Bimmer esp base/Sportline trim, or ?

Last edited by lancer_rit : 19th September 2017 at 23:51.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 01:00   #7
BANNED

Quote:

Anything else?
Thanks, I certainly want to check the car first and test drive it. I am waiting for more feedback from the team-bhp vRS owners and hence willing to wait for 2 months too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Considering your requirement criteria and having driven both these cars I would suggest you consider the vRS if you are not worried about the Skoda badge vs a BMW.
You have hit the nail on the head about everything.

Though the badge doesn't matter to me much but I do see BMW ride quality being highly praised here. For me, comfort and features are most important as I don't drive a lot and I am a sedate driver so the powerful engine may not matter much but comfortable ride, good seats, nice music, all possible features which makes the ride comfortable.

I actually visited Tafe Access, Bangalore on 3rd September to see vRS and since no TD vRS was available, I took test drive of 1.8 TSI Style Plus (or was it L&K?) and really loved it. Though they said its on Road price is 26.5 lakh so now it must be 27.5 lakh.

I read here about issues with DQ200 7 speed DSG gearbox which is concerning as I can't afford my car to have any downtime. Also the cost difference between vRS and Octavia 1.8 TSI is 4.5 lakh, you think it is worth going for vRS at such price difference ? Again, I have very limited knowledge about these things so can't make a very informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Your filters weigh in favour Octavia RS. Especially the last two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
I was in the same boat few months back with 2 differences: Firstly, I had planned for a new BMW and not a used one. Secondly, I was looking for the 3 series and not the GT.
Are you future me ? Because you said all the things which I was thinking since last few weeks.

So I visited Navnit Motors, Bangalore on 3rd September after visiting Skoda showroom. Felt little weird as this was the first time I saw a BMW from inside (I consider myself to be a common man)

The sales executive said OTR 49 lakh for BMW 320d, 54 lakh for BMW 330i and 59 Lakh for 3 series GT and immediately mentioned 5 lakh discount on all of them. I found 320d to be cramped up with no features whatsoever. My Verna SX(O) looks to have more features than that 320D which they are selling it for 42-44L. I liked 330i (it was sport variant) and loved GT but both are beyond my current budget and aspiration.

I called Vinayak Skoda and Tafe again today but they just don't have any TD vehicle (they sold the once which was supposed to be TD vehicle) and I am not comfortable buying a 32L car without even test driving or looking at it.

I just saw your post in the vRS thread about you feeling its stiff suspension, how stiff they are for Bangalore city drive? I am certainly waiting for your full review of it in coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Spacious, yes for sure. No full sized spare in the vRS though. You get a 125 section tyre to get to the puncture repair point.

Yes, while test driving 1.8 TSI, I was really impressed with all the features it has along with the big 8" touch screen and front parking sensors. I am a sucker for cabin features and enjoy them considering 95%+ my travel is only city drive and these things make your life easier.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2017 at 22:32. Reason: language
VickyG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 08:32   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Lots of them. For me, the sunroof and the cruise control seal the deal when it comes to feature comparison.

BMW not offering CC on the 3 lineup in India is just not done.

Quote:
I am not comfortable buying a 32L car without even test driving or looking at it.
Dont, and it should be possible to get a close look at the car parked at the showroom. I guess I remember seeing a red VRs on display at TAFE Hosur road. For a demo, send a PM to Nikhil, he has just purchased one and will definitely take you for a spin when he has the time.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/nikhilb2008.html
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 10:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Given your very specific requirements, driving style and budget, I recommend you go for the L&K 1.8. It is more than capable plus you save the 4 lakhs too.

It can do 100% of what a VRS can safely achieve in BLR city and maybe 80% on the highway.

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th September 2017 at 10:25. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 13:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMW not offering CC on the 3 lineup in India is just not done.
Cruise control can be added. Requires coding + the required buttons on your steering wheel.
AbhiJ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 13:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I don't drive fast and mostly drive in city only.
Don't you think vRS/3 series are hardly worth the price for such usage? Why would anyone buy vRS if "fast" is not their thing?

I feel CLA is probably a better choice, it's a good looking city car. If you like BMW, get one that has heads up display. Why HUD? It's the coolest feature in my opinion and cool features are a good substitute for need-for-speed.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 15:22   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Don't you think vRS/3 series are hardly worth the price for such usage? Why would anyone buy vRS if "fast" is not their thing?

I feel CLA is probably a better choice, it's a good looking city car. If you like BMW, get one that has heads up display. Why HUD? It's the coolest feature in my opinion and cool features are a good substitute for need-for-speed.
Very interesting suggestion. I am maintaining an excel file and after vRS and pre-owned GT, I had put CLA as the 3rd option to look at. I love its design and I am sure being a mercedes, it will be having many features for comfortable ride. My concern is budget though, I don't want to go over budget too much.
Old 20th September 2017, 16:00   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Skoda Octavia vRS vs Pre-owned BMW 3-Series GT?

Quote:
My budget is 30-32 Lakh. I will put 10-12 lakh from own pocket and will take loan for the rest. The car may be on company name so I can show it as depreciating asset (I still need to discuss this with my CA).
I would recommend the Octavia vRS to you.

1. Company name, hence you'll get higher depreciation benefits (vis a vis a used car).

2. You're putting only 33% down. Which means you'll get the balance 66% loan at a lower interest rate.

3. The Octavia vRS looks hot! The 3-Series GT looks u-g-l-y IMHO.

4. The Octavia vRS will make you more of a driving enthusiast than you already are.

IMP: On the other hand, if ride comfort is important to you, then go for the 3-Series GT. The Octavia vRS rides too firm for most people's tastes. This could be a deal-breaker for some.

Quote:
Though I have not driven any of the two
Please go out and drive them first. The GT should be easily available. Until the vRS is, drive a regular Octavia 1.8 TSI just to get a level of familiarity with the model. How these cars make you feel is very important and only a test-drive will provide the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Given your very specific requirements, driving style and budget, I recommend you go for the L&K 1.8. It is more than capable plus you save the 4 lakhs too.
I'd disagree. For one, the vRS does offer you your 4 lakhs worth over the 1.8. Second, once someone has their minds set on the vRS, they won't move down to the regular Octavia. Anyone considering this car is clearly a 'heart over head' kind of guy.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 16:20   #14
BANNED

I just talked to Tafe Skoda, Bangalore. They are saying vRS is now 32.2 lakh on road and L&K is 27.5 lakh on road. There are no discount on either considering there is waiting period for both of them.

vRS in Race Blue will be available in Jan/Feb 2018, for L&K, the waiting period is 1 month. I will check the pricing for CLA too as their showroom is just few hundred meters from my home.
Old 20th September 2017, 17:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just talked to Tafe Skoda, Bangalore. They are saying vRS is now 32.2 lakh on road and L&K is 27.5 lakh on road. There are no discount on either considering there is waiting period for both of them.

vRS in Race Blue will be available in Jan/Feb 2018, for L&K, the waiting period is 1 month. I will check the pricing for CLA too as their showroom is just few hundred meters from my home.
On vRS, there will be no discounts, on regular Octavia Style and L&K, there was 40K corporate discount.
Check with Vinayak cars as well - you can contact Vijayakanth 9686669456, who I dealt with for my Superb.

Only Superb prices are not revised post GST-cess increase. L&K will be available in October only - as usual Skoda goofed up with the newly launched facelift, discontinuing Style plus and launching L&K within few months - All Style plus kits are exhausted, so nothing to get till L&K rolls in.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks