Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2006, 12:26   #1

Same price: Skoda Rider 1.8T vs Civic vs Combi RS

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I'm in a situation where I can get a *new* Civic, Rider 1.8T and the Combi RS around the same Rider 1.8T price (long story). I care only about performance and resale value.

I figure the Civic's the rational choice considering Skoda's chequered service history but there's something about driving a performance car...and I can't stomach paying nearly as much for a civic as for Audi TT performance.

Also, the Combi is an intriguing choice since it has all the RS goodies at a Rider 1.8T price but the handling is a little off... andwhat do you think about its resale value, relatively speaking?

There don't seem too many choice for pure performance in the 6L - 12L budget. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
JJ
Old 28th November 2006, 12:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe View Post
Also, the Combi is an intriguing choice since it has all the RS goodies at a Rider 1.8T price but the handling is a little off... andwhat do you think about its resale value, relatively speaking?
It is normally more expensive than an octy unless there is a major discount. Being a petrol and a station wagon, don't expect a queue when you sell it on..unless you price it well
Old 28th November 2006, 13:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Combi will have pretty poor resale value & even though it comes loaded I am quite sure the piece being sold to you has been standing at the dealer's yard/showroom for atleast 6 months if not more. If you decide on the Combi I would advise you to inspect it carefully & also check the manufacturing date stamped on the bodyshell.

Otherwise my suggestion would be for the Civic.
Old 28th November 2006, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Performance + resale value
Has to be the honda civic no doubt.You have the formula one style paddle shift to cheer you up when you see a skoda on the road.

Sometimes the head does have to rule over the heart.Stay away from the combi,the station wagon concept has not yet caught up in India.
Old 28th November 2006, 20:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and I can't stomach paying nearly as much for a civic as for Audi TT performance.
Don't be fooled by marketing. The Indian RS puts out 150 bhp, and the Audi TT puts out 235. To get to that level, you are going to have to pay one Mr Pete a not inconsiderable sum of money above and over what you pay Skoda Auto.

Quote:
There don't seem too many choice for pure performance in the 6L - 12L budget. Other suggestions are welcome.
Baleno + turbo, OHC Vtec + turbo, OHC + B series engine, Lancer + Mivec. IF you are willing to swap.

Here's a thought. Buy the Forester, and get down the twin turbo kit off the Impreza. The engines are the same otherwise.
Old 28th November 2006, 21:00   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Go for the CIVIC lots of kit available for it allover the world. Plus the HONDA badge will always get a very very good resale value.

Plus you know everyone else on the road is looking at ur DIGITAL speedo lol
Old 28th November 2006, 21:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Don't be fooled by marketing. The Indian RS puts out 150 bhp, and the Audi TT puts out 235. To get to that level, you are going to have to pay one Mr Pete a not inconsiderable sum of money above and over what you pay Skoda Auto.

Baleno + turbo, OHC Vtec + turbo, OHC + B series engine, Lancer + Mivec. IF you are willing to swap.

Here's a thought. Buy the Forester, and get down the twin turbo kit off the Impreza. The engines are the same otherwise.
Ok, the Combi's out.

The forrester is a good suggestion, thanks, v1p3r. I'll look into it.

Btw, does Pete have a remapped ecu for the RS? I read here that he had a diesel perf upgrade. I'd love to chip the RS to 200hp+ and saw an old thread discuss it but no closure. In a past life, I had chipped an E34 M5 to 360bhp and am still in recovery:-)
Old 28th November 2006, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Pete remaps the RS. PM him for details.
Old 28th November 2006, 22:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Pete is on t-bhp ?? :O

And I would vote for the Octy RS. IT is an amazing car and the performance is shattering. You can of course tune it for more performance....
Old 28th November 2006, 22:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
How much power can we expect the forester and the Baleno to put out!?
Old 29th November 2006, 14:07   #11
BHPian

Even in Delhi I am getting a huge discount on the Combi - which could indicate that this car is likely to be withdrawn soon
Old 1st December 2006, 00:27   #12
bhp
BHPian

1.8 rider and rs are havin discounts of 60 k as of now
Old 1st December 2006, 02:36   #13

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hmmm...tough choice mate...even im in a predicament...my heart says octy1.8 tp and the head says civic.
going by your preference,i would say go for the civic.it will give you similar performance figures,will be more fuel efficient,backseat is more comfortable than the octy,spare parts are cheaper tan the octy,after sales service of honda is better,resale value is better and honda's reliability is bulletproof.
plus you get the digital speedo.
buy the civic with eyes closed.
Old 1st December 2006, 08:58   #14

Civic!!!!

GO for the Civic. It turns more heads. I saw one with neons and almost fell unconcious on its stunner looks. It performs well though you have to be gentle with it to some xtent. Or the RS is always there.
Old 1st December 2006, 13:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

Resale: Civic
Performace: 1.8 Rider
Family: Combi

BTW what about the Sonata? It retials for under 12L, Hyundai A.S.S. is better than Honda where I live, and has the legroom of a Accord.

Most Viewed