Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:06   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A comfortable family sedan (10 Lakhs On Road budget)

Voted for the Honda city. The reasons for the same are as listed:
  • The Lower variants of the city are fairly well equipped. Even the mid spec SV variant will more than suit your needs. It is the most VFM variant on offer and also has an automatic
  • A tractable, fuel efficient diesel or a fast petrol. Pick your choice. Both are equally reliable in the long run, typical of Japanese workhorses
  • Excellent rear legroom can give a complex to D-segment sedans. This is the single most factor in favour of the city

If you don't really mind about looks or image, than you could also go for the Etios Petrol. Superb drivability, butter smooth engine and fairly fuel efficient as well. Toyota's Service costs are stupendously low even as compared to Maruti.

Space is again more than ample. As I said, buy this car only if you don't mind the bland looks and bits of cost cutting here and there. It's also due to be replaced by 2019.

The Ciaz is second to the city in most aspects, especially the engines (Both petrol and diesel). When it comes to space, both are more on less on par. Even the mid variant of the Ciaz is fairly well equipped and it is close between the two.

But, when it comes to the automatic transmission and the engines (especially the I-vtec), the City just blows the Ciaz away to smithereens. There is no competition in that regard. The I-vtec is a gem of an N/A petrol. The extra power and the smoothness of the CVT will be an added advantage for you.

Some prices (Carwale):

- Honda City SV Petrol Manual - Rs. 11,63,000

- Maruti Ciaz AT 1.4 Petrol Delta - Rs. 11,50,000

- Honda city S petrol Manual - Rs. 10,41,000

- Maruti Ciaz Delta Manual - Rs. 10,14,000

If you want a manual, then the City makes sense. But, the Ciaz auto makes sense from a value for money perspective (Not performance wise).

All the best,

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 23rd November 2017 at 19:15.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 20:55   #212
BHPian

I did not vote because none of the cars you list meet your requirement of 6 seats.

I wouldn't put 6 people in a 5 seater esp on a highway. In fact I would strongly recommend seating the infant/toddler in a car seat. Holding the young one is just dangerous and unfair to him/her. With that in mind, I would recommend getting a car with 7 seats. You could look at the BR-V/Ertiga or maybe the base XUV. If you're not going to have 6 people in the car then I would suggest get the Ciaz or the City. You might want to look at the Vento/Rapid too. They're nice cars and you might get the base MT for under 10.
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:27   #213
Senior - BHPian

My pick was the Ciaz! The most sensible would be the Etios Petrol top end! It's spacious, powerful, superb seating, great dynamics, mileage and safe after sales; let down only by the perception of a cab, even if you like it most probably your family would come down heavily on you change your decision, just like what happened to me. Honda City the lower most E petrol manual may make it.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd November 2017 at 21:29.
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ciaz.

It covers all the grounds well. Rear seat ingress and egress isn't that easy in Verna, my mom had a tough time and immediately pointed out less space between rear seat and B-pillar. Nissan Sunny also ticks quite a few boxes but am not sure how long it will be on sale with such low sales numbers.

When it comes to rear seats, City and Ciaz stand out. City scores over Ciaz in rear seat comfort (ciaz has more legroom though) and I particularly like the inclined rear floor. But for other counts Ciaz suits your requirements pretty well. Ciaz suspension is clearly tuned towards for comfort, helps in urban environment and even on highways when driven a notch down.

Although City's 1.5 petrol is fantastic on open roads, what I didn't like is not-so-healthy torque in the bottom end, its not as effortless as it should be. Verna 1.6 has more bottom end torque and is a very flexible unit. City's engine is at its best in top end which is not what every drive demands. Bottom end torque in Ciaz's motor is good, helps for city driving. Fuel efficiency is another domain well covered by Ciaz.

As a practical buy, the best suited car is Ciaz. Etios is good but somehow I just cant digest the central placement of instrument cluster.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd November 2017 at 21:54.
Old 26th November 2017, 00:15   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
T

Few cars that's playing in my mind are:
  1. Maruti Ciaz
  2. Nissan Sunny
  3. Hyundai Verna.
  4. Honda City
I have not considered sub 4m-Sedans due to space issues, and performance oriented cars like Rapid, Linea etc...

What is your suggestion ?
You could consider the Verna diesel. Here is my ranking in italics
1. Back seat space for 3 Adults should be 'very good'. [Ciaz good for this]
2. Should offer good ride quality/comfort for long family trips with lot of luggage (4 adults, 1 adolescent , 1 younger kid = total 6). [Verna trumps others with its gem of a diesel engine best in the class]
4. Should offer a reasonable mileage per litre. [Verna diesel has given me 16.5 km/liter over 2500 km with 60% highway driving]
5. Not too worried about power, performance etc.. Yes, it should pull the fully loaded on hilly areas. [Ciaz will struggle with 90 bhp on tap. Honda City diesel is nothing to write about with its tractor like sound]
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 19:27   #216

Exchanging i20 Active for Verna or Etios?

Hi guys,

I need some help in making this decision.

Long story short - We bought an i20 Active Astra (Petrol) during May 2016. Ever since we got that car we have issues with AC. It would automatically stop blowing when we hit 100+kmph on the high way. We have to stop the car and rest it for 5 mins and start driving again before the AC can start blowing chill air. It has gone to multiple services and no one managed to fix it so far. With all the hatred accumulated over a period of time for this car, we went out to the market today to find ourselves a new one.

After test driving the Maruti Ciaz, Hyundai Verna, Platinum Etios and Honda Amaze, we narrowed down to two cars:

1. Etios Petrol 3Q VX (Top end Model) for 9.2L
2. Verna Petrol SX - 11.3L

Etios:
* We love the boot space and leg room. We are a family of 4 adults + 1. My elderly parents were able to get down or get in relatively easier from the Etios.
* If my little one (6yrs) falls asleep he would have enough space to lay at the back seat on my mom's lap.

Verna
* 1600 CC vs Etios 1400
* Seating and leg room felt somewhat similar to our current i20 Active.
* We love the touch screen with GPS which Etios lacked.

I am not an automobile fanatic and look for comfort. Our usage is primarily for high ways. I and my spouse are pretty much busy during the weekday working. We only go on long trips once every two months (anywhere from 8hrs to 14hrs journey from Chennai).

What would you choose - Etios VX or Verna SX and why?

Thank you for any valuable insights you give

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd April 2018 at 11:36.
Old 21st April 2018, 21:39   #217
BHPian

re: Exchanging i20 Active for Verna or Etios?

I would go for the Verna anyday if I had to make a choice between the Verna and the Etios.

Reasons : 1) Powerful engine (even though delivers the power at a higher RPM band compared to the Etios)
2) Better equiped with features like Cruise control, rear AC, reverse camera, touchscreen dispay, automatic climate control etc. only to name a few.
3) Has the 6th gear, a boon in highway cruising.

But considering your bitter experience with a Hyundai, I would suggest you to wait for the all new Maruti Ciaz that will be launched in August this year. The car will be equipped with an all new Suzuki 1.5 litre diesel, even the petrol will be upgraded to a 1.5 litre. SOURCE
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 21:56   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kyf3m View Post
Hi guys,

I need some help in making this decision.
IIRC, i20 Active is powered by the 1.2L engine. I believe, those engines are coded in such a way to provide max. power to engine post 100 kmph, by turning off current guzzlers, most likely the AC Compressor. I remember reading about this weird feature in this forum, but I cannot locate it atm..

As far as car suggestion goes, I'd suggest you pick one of the upcoming sedans in your preferred class during the oncoming months. That price bracket is on a roll with a couple of great new launches, Yaris & Ciaz. Not only this will add to your dilemma, it could help you negotiate your deal better.

Last edited by sharktale : 21st April 2018 at 21:57. Reason: grammar
Old 21st April 2018, 22:10   #219
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest wait for the Yaris, it will have all the feel good features that the Etios somehow lacks. Since your experience with Hyundai was not pleasant I don't think you may be happy with another Hyundai not that the Verna is a bad car. The Yaris just a few weeks away from launch and it will be the more appropriate car to compare against the Verna. But If you must pick a car right away the Honda City falls nicely in your price range. Given that if it were up to me I would go for the Etios if a car was needed immediately because it is a sensible package. I think the Etios Platinum also comes with a Toyota touchscreen.
Old 21st April 2018, 22:28   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since we got that car we have issues with AC. It would automatically stop blowing when we hit 100+kmph on the high way. We have to stop the car and rest it for 5 mins and start driving again before the AC can start blowing chill air. It has gone to multiple services and no one managed to fix it so far. With all the hatred accumulated over a period of time for this car, we went out to the market today to find ourselves a new one.
i20 Active is a lovely car, and since its just a couple of years old, I would say keep it and try to find a solution to the AC problem. Maybe this post could be of some help.
Old 21st April 2018, 22:57   #221

Thanks for the reply, guys!

I am not sure if the Ciaz is gonna have enough space in the back seat. I did a test drive today and the sale rep. told me that is a 2018 model. Isn't that true? I felt the interior of Ciaz was too "plastic-ky".

I will go again tomorrow to do a test drive for Honda City and see how that goes. Few of my friends who own Honda Amaze are insisting I get it. We somehow felt the backseat does not have enough space for a kid.

Regarding the Platinum Etios, even the top end model (3Q VX) does NOT come with a touch display. It does not have a GPS either. I saw the model today at the showroom. Are you sure it does? Any source, please? Thank you

I do not really hate Hyundai. I have had i10 for 4 years and they are lovely people. I just hate this i20. Every single time I tell them when I leave the car for service that the AC stops at 100+kmph and they said they fixed it. When I take it on the highway, it does not work. The number of time we had to stop just so the AC will start working again gave us headaches. Besides that, I have no hate for the brand or this model
Old 21st April 2018, 23:24   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the two, I would take the Verna. Else, I will re-look at the Ciaz.

The Etios has lot of space, but is a step-down after the i20. I am sure you will get a feeling of missing somethings in the Etios.
Old 21st April 2018, 23:31   #223
Senior - BHPian

The Verna is the better car of the two as an overall package. However, if space and budget is a consideration, then look at the Etios.

In this budget there are quite a few other options as well, so depending on how you feel about Hyundai service, consider other options as well.
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:54   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, guys!
Regarding the Platinum Etios, even the top end model (3Q VX) does NOT come with a touch display. It does not have a GPS either. I saw the model today at the showroom. Are you sure it does? Any source, please? Thank you
Kindly check this linky below. The system in the dashboard looks like a touch screen to me and it also has a Toyota badge.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4385568
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:41   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Kindly check this linky below. The system in the dashboard looks like a touch screen to me and it also has a Toyota badge.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4385568
That's the Limited Edition VXD model, this particular version did come with touch screen display. But the regurlar top end VX or VD trim doesn't. Hope it clarifies. I have even checked the Carwale app for clarification

EDIT
Speaking of limited edition, there is a limited edition petrol and diesel model selling of the Platinum Etios. I suggest you enquire about it with your nearest Toyota Showroom.
Attaching a screenshot from the carwale app
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza-screenshot_20180422074435491_com.carwale.png  

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 22nd April 2018 at 07:47.
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed