Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Verna 219 42.12%
Honda City 143 27.50%
Maruti Ciaz 26 5.00%
Skoda Rapid 65 12.50%
Volkswagen Vento 48 9.23%
Fiat Linea 19 3.65%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 520. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2018, 03:05   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Between the Verna Sx Diesel (MT) and the Yaris V variant which should one buy considering the following factors.
1) Fuel efficiency.
2) Reliability.
3) Safety.
4) Monthly running of around 1400 to 1500 kms.
5) Long term ownership of min 9 to 10 years.
Well, when you compare Verna with Yaris spec to spec - I guess the Yaris comes out on top. Atleast on paper it seems like the better option.
Reliability - It has the Toyota's reliability, and reputation to cash in on.
Safety - Offers about 7 airbags as standard I believe as opposed to the 2 airbags as standard on the Verna.
Fuel Efficiency - Not sure about that. I guess Yaris is still a relatively new car to comment on it.

But somehow, it just feels like it doesn't belong in todays competitive market for cars. I think Toyota is a little late to the party, a couple of years back a package like Yaris would have been a phenomenal car; but that can't be said today. I know you didn't say anything about the infotainment system being a priority but I do believe it is a big factor in todays automobiles. And Toyota has chosen to not include Android auto or Apple carplay in it citing some privacy issues. Also, I am not sold on the looks of the car as well (but that's a very subjective thing I suppose). So, basically what I am saying is that Verna feels like a very mature car - having tried and tested the waters before they know exactly what the Indian consumer wants and have tried to deliver just that. Whereas, Yaris seems like a very valiant effort from Toyota but doesn't seem to hit the right spot somehow. Despite having some very innovative features like the rear air con vents on the roof that basically recycle the air from the front vents and front parking sensors etc
Palaver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 23:01   #92

I have owned ikon 1.6, Alto and Ritz ZDi. now in market for a sedan, pls share your expert views.
budget is 12L. I have narrowed down to few models.
1 - Honda city V MT
2 - Vento 1.6
3 - Verna 1.6

I am also having another option of Skoda 1.5 (Diesel) which fits to the same budget.
my average yearly usage would be 12K KM's. 70+% on highways.
Request your advice to make final decision on this.
Old 6th June 2018, 02:14   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun_k_g View Post
I have owned ikon 1.6, Alto and Ritz ZDi. now in market for a sedan, pls share your expert views.
budget is 12L. I have narrowed down to few models.
1 - Honda city V MT
2 - Vento 1.6
3 - Verna 1.6

I am also having another option of Skoda 1.5 (Diesel) which fits to the same budget.
my average yearly usage would be 12K KM's. 70+% on highways.
Request your advice to make final decision on this.
I would suggest leave Vento out of this comparison, simply because it kinda pales in comparison to the other two on pretty much all the points.

Now between Honda and Verna, you can't go wrong with either of the two. They both offer great package and have diff strengths and weaknesses. So it basically gets down to your priorities.

Honda - The city offers oodles of space which Comes in extremely handy if you have elders commuting with you. Its definitely the more comfortable cabin to be in.
Honda City petrol is a very refined engine and is truly great to drive. It's not really for the more enthusiastic driver, but if you want a comfortable and pliant ride then look no further.
However, if you require the latest infotainment system and things like android auto and apple carplay than Honda City falls short in this regard and Verna delivers.
The other disadvantage of the city is it's body, from experience I can vouch that it is not as sturdy as some other cars available. And is easy to show dents even from light impact ( I am referring to something like a light hailstorm)

Verna - Unlike Honda it offers both reversing camera as well as parking sensors.
Has some new features like ventilated seats and hands free trunk opening
Offers both android auto and apple carplay. I believe Hyundai's interface is a lot better than Honda. Also includes an inbuilt hard drive to store media this eliminating the need for a usb drive.
Has a stronger body owing to AHSS that it uses.
Although Honda is known for its petrol engine, you would be pleasantly surprised with the Verna's refinement as well. If not better than it is definitely at par with the City.
On the flipside, although the handling has improved tremendously from previous generation it still is no where near the amazing handling that City offers.
And mostly the Verna is cheaper than the City

So at the end of the day it's about your priorities. As I said earlier they are both very capable cars and you can't go wrong with either. Just chose one that fits better with your lifestyle/ preferences.
Palaver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 09:15   #94

Palaver Thank you for the tips. As mentioned above, my budget is restricted to 12. hence some of the features mentioned by you may not fit here. looking for a petrol car and below are the variants which comes with in this budget.

1 - Honda city V MT - 1160882 On road Bangalore price
2 - Vento 1.6 Highline - 1160521
3 - Verna 1.6 SX - 1182135

When I look at the features, each car has its own advantages.

Vento - Tilt and telescopic steering, Leather seat, adjustable rear headrest, Auto dim IRVM.
City - Push button ignition
Verna - 16inch alloys, Projected headlamps,adjustable rear headrest, Auto dim IRVM.

I am more confused towards the value for money pick from these three. my dad has VW Polo Diesel and we are all happy with it. but I am not sure how good is VW when it comes to petrol.

as mentioned, my 70% of usage is on highways and 90% of these would be with just 2 members.
Old 6th June 2018, 09:34   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Palaver Thank you for the tips. As mentioned above, my budget is restricted to 12. hence some of the features mentioned by you may not fit here. looking for a petrol car and below are the variants which comes with in this budget.

My opinions
Leave city out, it is strictly a city car. Its flimsy, with high NVH.

70% highway driving hence safety is a priority so first choice is Skoda followed by Verna crdi
Old 6th June 2018, 19:29   #96
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I am not sure how good is VW when it comes to petrol.
Yep, it does not make sense to go for a German car and deal with a questionable ASS experience and pay more than average money for parts and services if you are not getting the best of their engines. The Polo MPI and the Vento MPI are hardly the best in their segments and are not even among the better ones. Between the City and the Verna, I'd suggest the City if you are a keen driver. It also looks better IMO and has a certain prestige value to it if that matters to you. Leaving the engine aside, the Verna is definitely the more complete package especially since you don't mind the rear space. So basically it comes down to choosing between a car which drives better or a car which is a better package overall.

But if you are looking to enjoy your ride to the fullest, the Rapid with the explosive 1.5 TDI will bring a smile to your face every time you drive it. Do consider it you attach a high emphasis on the performance and handling aspect of a car.

Have you considered the Verna EX? With a slight compromise on features and a slight increase in budget, it might be the best all rounder among all the options considered.
Old 6th June 2018, 21:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vento - Tilt and telescopic steering, Leather seat, adjustable rear headrest, Auto dim IRVM.
Verna - 16inch alloys, Projected headlamps,adjustable rear headrest, Auto dim IRVM.
Nobody mentions Android Auto which is a great plus for the Verna. The built in map and navigation system in any car is utter useless once you start using AA with live Google maps. Then comes whatsapp integration, music app integration like Google play music / spotify and so on. Voice commands just work because it is Android.

You: "Play some old hindi songs"
Android Auto: "Here you go"

Last edited by clevermax : 6th June 2018 at 21:09.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 00:23   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Nobody mentions Android Auto which is a great plus for the Verna.

Quote:

I am more confused towards the value for money pick from these three. my dad has VW Polo Diesel and we are all happy with it. but I am not sure how good is VW when it comes to petrol.

as mentioned, my 70% of usage is on highways and 90% of these would be with just 2 members.
Again buddy, I am going to leave out Vento - I guess I dont see that car as value for money offering and since you did mention something about getting a car thats truly worth the money you spend I don't think it should even be considered especially considering the poor resale value that it has. And also, the fact that the current version of Vento is due for an upgrade so if you end up buying it, it would soon become an outdated model.

Coming back to the other two - Honda City VS Hyundai Verna.
Since you have specified the model Verna SX and Honda V both in manual trims, I would still lean towards the Verna mostly because its the newer car and most importantly it gets Android Auto. Most people underestimate this feature but trust me, it is simply so useful and refreshingly easy to use especially when it comes to navigating and listening to media. Also, the standard navigation system that comes pre-loaded on the Verna gives you current road speed limits as well. So everytime you go over the speed limit it would beep 3 times to remind you. Some people may find that annoying but I kinda like it. Although, when you switch to Android Auto, Google maps takes over your navigation duties and it doesn't beep when you go over the limit.
Moreover, there is an inbuilt hard drive to store music and listen to it without the usb occupying that very important usb slot that would be linked with the phone.

Now coming back to the City, you do get push button start, but then does that really add value to the driving experience or the usability of the car? I would say its very little value at best. I mean whats so hard about taking the key out of your pocket and just turning it for ignition. No big deal. But you did mention a lot of highway driving, and between these two cars, I do believe Honda City would do a better job on the highway. It simply is the better car when it comes to highway manners. It's a lot more sorted doesn't let the potholes unsettle it much. But on the flip side, say if you don't like driving too fast and would stay under the speed limit then that should not factor in your decision. Because under 100 Verna would also do a decent job at cruising the highway. And to be frank, from my past experience I honestly believe its better to stay within speed limits given our road conditions and some of the speedsters that are on our roads.

Also, you mentioned Verna Sx with adjustable rear headrest. Well, the Sx trim doesn't get adjustable rear headrest.

I guess we could keep pointing out the merits and demerits of both these cars, but the fact remains they are very closely matched so I suggest you should take a test drive of these cars preferably on the highway and figure out what feels better to you. Honestly, we all have different view points and what appeals to one person may not be so appealing to another.

But, after everything said and done, I do believe Verna is a better package simply because it comes with Android Auto - it makes life so much easier. Especially with voice commands, its just brilliant. It has no trouble with our accents and works just flawlessly. And given that some of the more expensive cars still lack this feature, I reckon you must get it especially when you have the choice to do so.
Palaver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 08:41   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Nobody mentions Android Auto which is a great plus for the Verna. The built in map and navigation system in any car is utter useless once you start using AA with live Google maps. Then comes whatsapp integration, music app integration like Google play music / spotify and so on. Voice commands just work because it is Android.

Might be a little off topic but with the latest ios 12 that is scheduled for a release later this year will enable the use of Google maps and other third party navigation apps through apple carplay. So now apple users would also be use to use Google maps through apple carplay.
Old 7th June 2018, 10:15   #100
BHPian

Honestly speaking (and unlike earlier), there is not much of a difference left in the engine and performance of Verna and City under sane speeds (unless you always redline the engine in each gear). City is marginally better in rear legroom but the difference is not as big as between, say, an alto and an etios, either.

Apart from this, Verna SX is much better than city V in every aspect. Heck, Verna EX is similar to City V in terms of features (and is much cheaper too).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 11:18   #101
BANNED

Quote:

In this price range I would suggest you to go for City V MT considering you have already test driven it and liked it. Though there would be negligible difference in driving dynamics in regular conditions, I somehow think City has a better snub value than Verna. I would have avoided VW 1.6 petrol unless I am a VW fanboy.

, So for everything is costly in Bangalore, gets a huge price advantage for Honda City. Any particular reason for this love? City V MT costs 13 lac on-road in Pune where Verna SX costs 11.5 on-road making Verna no-brainer.
Old 10th June 2018, 16:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
, So for everything is costly in Bangalore, gets a huge price advantage for Honda City. Any particular reason for this love? City V MT costs 13 lac on-road in Pune where Verna SX costs 11.5 on-road making Verna no-brainer.
Honda has priced the Honda City V MT at 9.99L Ex-Showroom for Karnataka due to which this variant comes under the lower tax bracket.

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-hc_blr.png
City V-MT Petrol is priced at 9.99 L Ex-Showroom BLR

The fine print also reads that it is for White Orchid Pearl which is a Non-Metallic Color. Not sure why anyone at all would buy the SV variant in Bangalore...
Looks like for other Metallic colors the car will cross the 10 L barrier and would be more expensive. Interesting pricing strategy indeed.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 10th June 2018 at 16:43.
Old 11th June 2018, 23:47   #103
BHPian

Quote:

I had another suggestion for you. This might seem like such an obvious thing to do but oddly enough it really isn't.

What I suggest is that you take a test drive of all these shortlisted cars and also experience all their features first hand. What usually happens at dealerships is that they have their top of the line(read most expensive) variant available for TD's. The problem with that is that in your case that would probably mean the Automatic transmission with all the bells and whistles, whereas you are trying to buy their manual versions. More often than not, the way a car behaves would change with the type of transmission. Like for example, when I test drove the Verna; the difference between it's auto and manual was night and day.

So, try to get the dealership to let you tests drive the variant that you are interested in buying, sometimes that can change things. Also notice the seating, Verna has a slightly angled seat and City has a slightly higher positioned seating. This might seem like a small detail but sometimes it is the swing vote to sway your purchase decision.
Palaver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 21:52   #104
BHPian

People who have driven Verna Petrol AT and the new Ecosport AT, how do you feel they both compare in terms of driving pleasure with respect to -
  1. Engine Performance
  2. Dynamics and road manners
  3. Shift quality of AT boxes

The Verna SX(O) AT and Ecosport Titanium+ AT are close in terms of pricing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks