Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Verna 219 42.20%
Honda City 142 27.36%
Maruti Ciaz 26 5.01%
Skoda Rapid 65 12.52%
Volkswagen Vento 48 9.25%
Fiat Linea 19 3.66%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 519. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th December 2017, 12:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-verna-new.png

Hyundai Verna

What you'll like:

• A true all-rounder. Elantra-esque styling packs appeal too
• The overall package is well-priced. Offers good value for money
• Refined 1.6L diesel & petrol engines mated to smooth 6-speed MTs & ATs
• Precise build & quality (including interiors) are easily among the segment best
• Suspension delivers a compliant ride & neutral road manners
• Loaded with kit! Hands-free boot, cooled seats, sunroof, rear sunshade, AutoLink etc.
• Dual airbags, ABS & ISOFIX mounts are standard on all variants. SX(O) gets 6 airbags
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3-year unlimited km warranty

What you won't:

• Rear seat isn't as spacious as that of the City & Ciaz. SX(O)'s hard seatback makes it worse
• Missing essentials! Reach-adjustable steering, auto wipers, auto-folding ORVMs…
• Diesel AT is unavailable in the fully-loaded variant!
• On select variants, the diesel motor carries a steep premium over the petrol (SX = 1.69 lakhs)
• Petrol AT isn't as fuel efficient as a couple of its rivals
• While the driving experience has improved, some competitors are still more exciting to drive
• Loses the rear disc brakes that the last-gen Verna was launched with. Braking feel & bite leave a lot to be desired

Link to Official Review

Honda City
Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-6.jpg

What you'll like:

• Practical diesel, fast petrol and convenient CVT. Take your pick
• Loaded with equipment (sunroof, feather-touch climate control, keyless entry & go, rear air-con, reversing camera)
• Extremely spacious cabin. Loads of sensible touches make it easy to live with
• Diesel & Petrol, both, have decent ARAI fuel efficiency ratings
• Big 510 liter boot will swallow your airport & holiday luggage
• Light controls, slick gearshift and easy maneuverability for the city. Effortless to drive

What you won't:

• Same diesel as the Amaze. Outright performance & refinement levels are lower than the Verna, Vento & Rapid
• Boring alloy wheel design & skinny 185 mm tyres too
• Light build quality. Lacks the sheer solidity of its European rivals
• Electric steering remains light & sensitive at high speed. No feedback either
• 6 footers will find rear headroom to be in short supply
• Some features missing (proper dead pedal, folding rear seat, height-adjustable seatbelts)

Link to Official Review

Link to report - 2017 Honda City Facelift

Maruti Ciaz

What you'll like:

• Clean styling & big footprint. Among the longest & widest sedans from its class
• Spacious cabin with lots of practical features. Rear legroom is particularly impressive
• Diesel & petrol, both, have segment-topping ARAI fuel efficiency ratings
• Soft, compliant ride quality. A suspension that's tuned for comfort
• Big 510 liter boot will swallow your airport & holiday luggage
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience
• Loaded with equipment (7" touchscreen ICE, navigation system, rear sunshade, leather seats, keyless entry & go, reversing camera etc.)

What you won't:

• 1.3L diesel can't match the performance of the Vento, Verna & Rapid. Has turbo-lag too
• 1.4L petrol has the lowest power rating in the segment. City i-VTEC & Vento TSI are in a different league
• Uninvolving to drive. Steering & dynamics aren't to an enthusiast's taste
• Mediocre under-thigh support of the low rear seat. Also, limited rear headroom for 6 footers
• Some might find the styling to be too bland. Rear end is uncannily similar to the Honda City
• Light build quality. Lacks the sheer solidity of its European rivals

Link to Official Review

Skoda Rapid
Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-whatsapp-image-20171027-9.35.50-am.jpeg

What you'll like:

• Confidence inspiring dynamics, brakes and chassis
• Smooth & convenient 7-Speed DSG Automatic. Lightning fast upshifts
• Competent 1.5L diesel engine. Good driveability & performance
• Safety kit: ESC (electronic stability control), hill-hold function, ABS & dual airbags
• An automatic that provides excellent fuel economy too
• European build quality is more solid than most competitors
• Mature suspension. Balanced ride & handling package
• Features such as projector headlamps, rake & reach steering, cruise control, adjustable driver armrest, rear air-con etc.

What you won't:

• Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission
• 1.5L TDI is loud & gruffy at high rpm
• Tall rear floor hump makes the Rapid more suited as a 4 seater, than 5
• This model is now among the oldest from the C2 sedan segment. Fresher alternatives are available
• Rapid doesn't get the 1.2L TSI engine from the Vento. Lacklustre 1.6L MPI continues
• Skoda’s ill-famed after sales service & dealer network

Link to Official Review

Link to Official Review - 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG

Link to BHPian laddz1121's 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift Ownership Report (2017 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG - Carbon Steel (a real steal))

Volkswagen Vento

What you'll like:

• A well-built, robust, European sedan
• Clean and contemporary styling. Boot is superbly integrated
• Stunning diesel engine.
• Mature suspension setup. Balanced ride & handling
• Segment firsts : Reach adjust steering, gear recommender, adjustable driver armrest etc.
• All-rounded nature; Jack of all trades

What you won't:

• 8.19L Trendline (entry) variant is simply too basic
• Petrol engine isn't as impressive as the diesel. Average low rpm response
• Electric power steering. The Vento deserves a pure hydraulic unit
• Quite a loud & clattery diesel engine
• Thin dealer all-India network. After sales has yet to prove itself
• VW's long-term reliability and ownership costs are on the higher side

Link to Official Review

Link to Report - 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift

Fiat Linea
Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans-24dsc_3751.jpg

What you'll like:

• Stunning looks & "vault-like" build
• Turbo-charged petrol makes the Linea extremely satisfying to drive
• Best-in-class ride comfort, handling & dynamics package
• Perfectly calibrated & weighted power steering
• A+ braking capability. All-round disc brakes a segment first
• Top level of equipment (including leather seats, Blue&Me, rear air-con and more)

What you won't:

• Long throw, rubbery gear shift is the only fly in the fun-to-drive ointment
• Rear seat is the least spacious from this segment. 5 an impossible fit
• Awkward driving position and ergonomics
• Interior quality, fit & finish still have rough edges
• Niggling issues & irritants (as reported by existing Linea / Punto owners)
• Below average after-sales service quality

Link to Official Review - Fiat Linea T-Jet

Link to BHPian nkrishnap's 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift Test Drive Report (The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review)

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2017 at 19:45.
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 10:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyundai Verna vs other C2 segment sedans

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 10:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like I am the first one to vote and I voted for the Honda City and I do own one although that is the 2014 version. Done 43,000 kms so far and the ownership has been fuss free. If I were in the market to buy a C2 Segment car today, I would still go with the 2017 Honda City.

I must say Hyundai has done a great job with the new Verna in terms of handling and ride quality as called out by many on this forum.

However, they missed fixing the space in the rear seat and that is quite important to me. Also most people complained that the brakes in general on most of the Hyundai cars are below average - Hyundai should have retained the all 4 disc brakes.

That apart "The Honda City" is a legendary iconic car and it will take many more years for the Verna to catch up to that level of respect

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 16th December 2017 at 10:43.
vsrivatsa is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 10:50   #4
BHPian

Second one to vote here. And my vote goes to the Hyundai Verna. Purely from a VFM standpoint, the Verna stands head and shoulders above the competition. Barring the rear seat harakiri that Hyundai has committed, Verna still is a very desirable car and the extended warranty will ensure that you have a hassle free ownership experience. And since it's a Hyundai, it comes with all the usual bells and whistles.

Honda City still remains the go to car in this segment, for those who really aspire a car that oozes class and gives them a bit of a snob factor. But the diesel is pedestrian and the noise filters through to the cabin. Also, previous gen Citys felt more classy and desirable compared to this (especially the 2010-11 refreshed City). Plus points for the CVT option.

Ciaz is screaming for an engine upgrade. It is the most boring driver's car of the lot. In terms of an allegory, it's a first-bencher in the classroom who does his/her job quietly without any fuss.
sleepyhead148 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 11:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, this was a tough one. I don't remember the last time I spent 10 minutes on a poll .

If Diesel, I'd pick the Hyundai Verna. That 1.6L diesel is simply fantastic, while the new Verna itself is a damn good all-rounder. I love how the Vento & Rapid diesels drive, but wouldn't own them as their long-term ownership reports on Team-BHP are full of issues & problems. I keep my cars for 8 - 10 years so long-term reliability is important and I know the Verna will give me that. This is the one I'd buy with an AT if I had a long daily commute to work through traffic (I don't).

If Petrol, I'd pick the Honda City. Still the best n/a petrol engine in the segment. A sweet, enjoyable, revv-happy motor.

Looking at how low the running of my own cars is (with so many test-drive cars coming and going), and considering how I miss my City & Civic Vtecs, if I were to buy a C2 segment sedan today, it would be the Honda City 1.5L Petrol MT. Hence voted for that. White with a black roof, black after-market rims, nicer tyres & an after-market intake + exhaust. Perfect (like this car).

Ciaz will never be in contention due to its small engines. The only time I'd consider one would be as a VFM beater car (like my Sunny is).

Love the Linea T-Jet's performance & dynamics, but the car is too old & outdated today. It only makes sense as a used buy (good luck finding one).

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2017 at 11:40.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 11:37   #6
BHPian

My pick for the day is Hyundai Verna.
It is purely based on the looks as I haven't driven any of them. Despite of few missing features in current gen Verna it still come out as better option.
I am a big fan of interiors of Hyundai cars they are definitely leading in each segment with quality interiors.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 12:16   #7
AYP
BHPian

Voted for the Vento for its stonker of an engine(TDI) and the German build quality.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 13:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Hyundai Verna
1. Excellent and highly refined 1.6 CRDI engine.
2. Fastest 1.6L diesel car in India.
3. New Verna is pretty stable at higher speeds and corners.
4. Engine mod potential : A good remap / RD dual channel box can easily make more than 150 HP
5. The car is very well loaded with features.
6. Hyundai service centres and support is next to Maruti.

If not for New Verna diesel, I would have opted New Rapid Diesel. I love the new looks, very mature. The car also has lot of mod potential.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 14:15   #9
BHPian

Voted for Verna. As much as I like Skoda/ VW's ride and handling, Verna offers smashing looks, a proportionate engine and fuss-free ownership. This is if I've the budget. Budget conscious people might find Ciaz more value for money though.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 15:19   #10
BHPian

I Voted for the Verna,

The Verna offers the most Value for Money in the C2 sedan space. It offers

# Bigger engine
# More power and Torque
# Better long term reliability (along with City/Ciaz)
# Better safety features - City diesel costs 1 lakh more
# Better convenience features - Ventilated seats, Sun roof etc
# AT options in both Petrol and Diesel (TC is more reliable than the DSG)

It lacks

# Driving dynamics of the Vento/Rapid/Linea
# VFM tag against the Ciaz
# Brand lineage against the City

But makes up for these shortfalls and is a perfect compromise and hence gets my vote.

IMO, City, Vento and Rapid are over priced, For example the Verna with the 1.6 ltr engine losses the excise benefit but still manages to undercut the City. For the marginal increase over Vento - 6KL and Rapid - 35K, the Verna offers more - 4 additional airbags, ventilated seats, sun roof, more powerful engine...

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 16th December 2017 at 15:21.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 08:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If Petrol, I'd pick the Honda City. Still the best n/a petrol engine in the segment. A sweet, enjoyable, revv-happy motor.

White with a black roof, black after-market rims, nicer tyres & an after-market intake + exhaust.
Damn, took the words right out of my mouth. I own a City and the only reason I bought it was the 1.5 iVtec. I love motorcycles and the way they revv and the only car which came close in this segment was the City. Sweet, sweet motor. Probably a rare breed now thanks to turbos and future direction of elimination of I.C. Engines. The gearbox is equally slick and mates the engine extremely well.

The only problem I have with the car (sometimes) is the light steering which doesn’t provide much feedback (but then I guess most electric steerings are like that).

Planning to wrap it in matt black with black alloys. Would look sinister.

If not for City, I’d have gone with the Rapid in that grey shade. Looks classy.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 17th December 2017 at 08:30.
The Brutailer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 11:28   #12
BHPian

Honda City with that tasty ivtec engine! The sheer pleasure of driving that engine, loads of space and comfort level it offers are the ones which get my vote. Though the build quality has gone down in the recent years, it still remains one of the most iconic and comfortable cars.

Would have voted for Verna but the limited rear seat space, both legroom and headroom, is a real deal breaker for me.
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 22:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for City only for the iVtec . Would have loved to vote for Verna, but i am disappointed with the cabin space, even though it has more wheelbase than Honda city. Rear can only seat 2 + a kid. Even the new Dzire has better space and the leg room i feel.

But the current Verna is undoubtedly the best iteration hyundai has offered us with loads of features.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 07:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Verna…

This segment used to an exciting one a few years back, with almost making the segment above redundant, but now it’s going through a saturation period. There are some good movements in the hatchback segment below, and crossovers are doing really well. Here we have now ageing warhorses in Vento and Rapid, one almost retired veteran in the Linea, and slightly energetic youngster in City, and an average one in the Ciaz. If this poll was done 3 years back, I would have picked the Vento.

I have not driven the new Verna, but going by my few weeks experience with Creta, and how the company has evolved in recent years I feel that this Hyundai should be an easy to drive, no-nonsense small family car. And it looks pretty good as well.

Last edited by vb-san : 18th December 2017 at 07:31.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 08:34   #15
BHPian

Voted for Ciaz.

Decent styling with most of the bells and whistles, Practical family car for a Metro city. VFM when you buy it and over the years of ownership.
So for a family outing, its Spacious and Comfortable for 5 passengers with lots of luggage space.
For Office ride in traffic conditions the "so called puny engine" offers fuel efficiency over other power houses.
For very occasional highway runs when power is desired, well, even Nano's, Alto's, Eon's do the needful when pushed, so how much difference would a 1.4 engine make over 1.5 or 1.6.
mahen_narang is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed