Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Old 21st January 2018, 19:36   #1
BHPian

Default Petrol sedan: Tata Zest or Toyota Etios?

I am planning to buy a petrol car for long distance trips. My budget is around 8-9 lakhs onroad. I have the following specifications in mind

1) Safety- Airbags and ABS are mandatory, ideally should have scored a 4 star rating in NCAP crash tests.

2) Refined engine capable of cruising at triple digit speeds without too much fuss.

3) Good aftersales service and reliability

4)High speed stability

I have narrowed down my search to ZEST-XT and ETIOS V.

Impressions from test drives

Zest- Very good interiors and plastic quality, the engine despite being a turbocharged unit has an initial lull (not expected because on paper ZEST delivers maximum torque at very low RPMs) and felt like downshifting especially from second to first gear. From second gear upwards, it was good and pulled cleanly. The NVH factors were well modulated. The equipment levels are extraordinary and deserves appreciation. The heavy metal gauge used is confidence inspiring and overall feels like a sturdy car.

ETIOS V- Interior quality and equipment levels are just meeting the expectations. The engine is very smooth and strong. It pulls really well in heavy traffic and is very easy to use. Minimum use of the first gear ensures smooth driving in city, and the engine is strong and linear. The lack of a rear camera even in the VX version is a big let down.

Buying process- I have my permanent address in Trivandrum, TATA dealer in Trivandrum is "Trivandrum motors" , a very small dealer by building size and a new entrant. After Kulathunkal motors closed, TATA dealers were constantly changing. FOCUZ was a relief for service but now heard from friends that it's not operational fully.

I am confident about Concorde Motors in Kochi, but I doubt if they can deliver a Trivandrum registered car.

Esteemed members of the forum who have done business with Trivandrum motors are requested to share their experiences.

The lack of trust in the dealer almost eliminates the ZEST.

Etios despite offering less even for the extra money almost got selected but the dealer has an issue in delivering the car in red colour.

The 4 months waiting time proposed is unacceptable.

I am very particular about the Red Colour.

I am in a jinx now, should I wait for 4 months or is the gamble with an unproven TATA dealer worth it ?

I also request the esteemed members to suggest viable options which I might have left out.

Last edited by Captain Haddock : 21st January 2018 at 19:42. Reason: Spell check
Old 21st January 2018, 19:44   #2
BHPian

For the registration issue, you can buy from Concorde and get it registered through a local RTO agent, most dealers have agents to do their work.

The more important concern would be the servicing - would you be willing to go to Kochi to get the car serviced since you have little faith in the TVM dealer
Old 21st January 2018, 19:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Petrol sedan: Tata Zest or Toyota Etios?

Stay away from the petrol zest! It will be a disaster depreciation wise, if you have to sell it early on.

Also, be glad kulathunkal is closed. They were by far the worst Tata asc I have had to put up with in three states ( Kerala, TN and Orissa).

Me and Jkdas used to haunt this place
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...rivandrum.html
But not sure about their experience with new generation Tata cars.

I would say buy the Toyota and call it a day. It ticks all your boxes. I ended up buying my Indica because I couldn't wait 6 months for a diesel Swift, and regret it. So I would strongly suggest you wait.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 20:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
Etios despite offering less even for the extra money almost got selected but the dealer has an issue in delivering the car in red colour.

The 4 months waiting time proposed is unacceptable.
Please check out this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bangalore.html

You should wait and see if there is any announcement from Toyota during Auto Expo. Few members talked to Toyota Dealers and they are saying that Vios / Ativ might get launched in March.
Old 21st January 2018, 20:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for the Etios Platinum V. It's a great drive and offers a lot of car for the price. It's a great car: space, comfort, ergonomics, gear shift, dynamics, safety and a great after sales service! Only fly in the ointment is "image". The ICE can be changed anytime and a rear camera can be added.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 20:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I can vouch for the Etios Platinum V. It's a great drive and offers a lot of car for the price. It's a great car: space, comfort, ergonomics, gear shift, dynamics, safety and a great after sales service! Only fly in the ointment is "image". The ICE can be changed anytime and a rear camera can be added.
You can buy a car that's higher up the value chain if you look for 2-3 year old and used upto 20k km, that'll have the works, airbags, ABS etc plus some added extras.

If you want new and at slightly higher price wise, look at the Diesel Ecosport Titanium / Titanium Plus.
Old 21st January 2018, 21:22   #7
BHPian

If you are spending Rs 9 Lakhs, why not look at the Ciaz? You may find great examples for 70% of that amount too if pre-owned True Value is an option. The Zest is a good car and is much better than the Etios in all respects. However, support is important and if Tata is not interested in having a trustworthy dealer in such an important city, it is better to stay away for now. 9 lakhs is a lot of money and the options available are very diverse. The Ciaz has much better interiors, better support and a far better built than the Etios. In fact the Ciaz is perhaps the best built Maruti sedan. Unlike the Etios, you do not feel like you are compromising on something everytime you step into it.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 21st January 2018 at 21:25. Reason: Added lines.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 23:19   #8
BHPian

Petrol Zest or Etios? I'm tickled that somebody has the same shortlist as I had mid-2017! I was looking for space all-round & good glass area, & bought the Etios V (even though the Zest audio experience is bloody rich!).

The Zest review thread will tell you of its thick A & C pillars reducing visibility. @greenhorn has warned about lack of resale value, but frankly, the Etios petrol won't be vastly better resale either.

I think (guessing) that the rumoured upcoming Toyota sedan will have lesser glass area & maybe not as much low-end torque as the Etios petrol. So you could pick the Etios over the Zest now. I didn't get a clear number, but the dealer quoted an unreasonable waiting time for red for me too.

But as others have said, the Ciaz is a great car (1.5 lakhs more, but it has more frills) if you don't mind the least-in-class engine power. Ideally, the Ciaz AT, because manual geared cars' resale value could go down in the near future.

I'm loving my manual-geared petrol budget Etios, but it is difficult to recommend whole-heartedly. You will enjoy the power & the view out the glass area & the comfort, but it won't pamper you or your pocket. I'd say even the VX in Pearl White may just about justify the ₹70k premium over the V. And the sight of Qualises being serviced 12 years after production stopped is reassuring.

Last edited by yatin : 21st January 2018 at 23:40. Reason: Some additions.
yatin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 00:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

On another note, would it not be possible to buy and register the car in Kochi itself? I recall that a notarized affidavit should suffice for address proof, along with some Gandhi brand lubricant( not really needed, but just in case)

More details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-like-me.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd January 2018 at 00:05.
Old 22nd January 2018, 01:31   #10
BHPian

If you want a safe car and want to retain the car for a long time then Etios is the best bet in your budget for a new car. Etios will serve you better on long term and that 1.5L engine is very smooth and refined. Regarding the reverse camera, it can be added as an accessory from the dealer itself. It is one of the safest car and quite reliable for the long term. If you are happy with the looks, then I would ask you to go with the Etios. Also your requirements are for highway trips and Etios with its huge boot space and interior space will keep you and your occupants happy for long commutes.

Checkout the dealer in Cochin for the Red car. I hope there are lot of agents out there who can help you out in registering the car in another city.

I would stay away from a petrol TATA. It is not a proven motor and long term reliability is still a gamble with TATA.
hema4saran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 03:36   #11
BHPian

Among the two options I would say Etios should be the pick. But this is not the right time to buy the Etios as Toyota is due to launch the Yaris Ativ in few months time as a replacement for Etios and you will end up with a brand new outdated car. I suggest you should wait for Yaris. But if you decide to go with Etios you could get good discounts since its an outgoing model now. Or you could go for a pre owned Honda City?
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Etios has one asset no other car in its class or indeed no other car in a class or two higher than it has - an aircon vent in the glove compartment.

Superb feature so you can keep a bottle of water in there and have access to ice cold water on a hot day of long driving.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:13   #13
BHPian

Considering safety is the number one point that you have mentioned, instead of putting 7+ lakhs on a Toyota Etios V, I would put that money on Figo Aspire Titanium+ and get 4 more airbags. The 3 airbag version scored 3 stars in Euro NCAP, with scores just a shade below the Zest. The 6 airbag version should only be much better.

Another car I would be looking at is the i20 Asta(O). Currently, substantial offers are ongoing, and you might be able to get this in your budget. Yes, the space may not be great, but it scores quite well in all the other points mentioned by you.

Both these cars are due for a minor facelift. While this might want you to wait, this also means you can score pretty good deals on them, especially as neither of these facelifts are expected to be too substantial. There is talk of Ford bringing in the 1.5 from Ecosport though, so if the deal you get is not great, then thats something you can look out for.

Finally, I would also suggest you take a look at Suzuki Ertiga. You have mentioned stretching your budget for Etios, which means Ciaz will be a further stretch, but Ertiga is a cheaper car, which also got 4 stars in ASEAN NCAP. There are huge offers on it and the LXI(O) and VXI would probably be in your range. Plus its a good selling Maruti, so maintenance and resale value would not be an issue.

PS: 4 months for a low selling car like Etios might suggest facelift(Toyota Ativ) is round the corner. Wait for the Auto Expo for further info.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

There have been few concerns regarding the long term reliability of the Revotron petrol motor in the Zest. Tata did a 50k km endurance run on this car and engine back in 2016. One can refer the post here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3945446

There are a couple of petrol Zests in my dad's office and they run about 80-120 kms daily. Till date, they have done about 70k kms and have been absolutely trouble free. Just routine service and tyre change done till date.

Regarding the Etios, the interiors are a deal breaker for me. They look too crude and dated even though they are functional. I have traveled in it on 4 different occasions but within the city. While one was a brand new car, the other three were 35-75k kms old. All three had a lot of rattles. The oldest one had starter motor issues and clanking front suspension. The cars looked good physically and all 3 drivers insisted that the cars are serviced regularly at TASS. That said, the car is very spacious and comfortable (although the seats are hard) with a huge boot.

For the Zest, I have traveled in 2 of them but for extremely short distance. Interiors looked good and were holding on good as well in both the specimens. I shouldn't comment on other aspects as my ride was short. My dad does travel in the Zest once in a while and he loves it. As per him, the back seats are very comfortable.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd January 2018 at 10:32.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Let me be the odd one out here, going by the budget and requirements, I would go on to suggest Ford EcoSport Dragon 1.5 Ti-VCT petrol. EcoSport easily ticks all the boxes when it comes to the requirements and the higher GC is just the added bonus.

Since the budget is 8-9 lac, the base Ambiente trim can be had (or Trend with slight stretch) and it also comes quite well equipped these days (won't have the touch screen like in Zest, but the safety, stability and engines of EcoSport are unmatched).

Last edited by VKumar : 22nd January 2018 at 11:20.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed
How I bought myself a Porsche at 25 years old
The 10 worst Indian cars of the last decade
Mustang crashes into truck driver - shows no remorse
Don't be naive, all of this happens before your PDI
Polo GTI falls off a flyover captured on video
Miscreants assault me & my car - justice prevails