Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2006, 08:52   #1
BHPian

Should I go for this or buy a new? - Honda City ZX

Hey All,

This is my first post here in this site. I came to know about this site through some blog.

I am currently looking at buying a new car in 7.5-9L range..my current choices are honda city ZX GXI/CVT or Mahindra Scorpio...I know that both are in a different category alltogether..but still they are my choices Though I loved the Lancer Cedia Sports edition, its out of my budget. Also, I am 6ft tall and would prefer to have the car with ample leg space. I had been driving a '98 Nissan Maxima GXE A/T in US and so I am more inclined towards the CVT.

I also found an offer from 1 of my dad's friend's friend...its a 2006 City ZX GXI, has run 6K..its just 6 months old..the reason for selling is that the current user is upgrading to Honda CIVC..I will be taking a test drive this weekend and will get the car tested from a mechanic next week.

A new GXI costs 8.5L and CVT is 9.2 in my area, Mangalore. I know that its hard to tell the price without looking at the car..but it would be great, if you can tell me how much would the car be worth, if the condition is 1) good 2) excellent. Also, what are the specific problem areas that I have to get it tested for?

Eagerly awaiting your responses.

Thanks
askids
Old 14th December 2006, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

A 2006 GXi would be a good buy anywhere between 7.5-8L, any more than that would be a waste & you would be better off getting a new one. These cars have no known problems as such but make sure that there is no accidental damage on the car.
Old 14th December 2006, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

If the new costs 8.5 OTR, just the depreciation alone will get the price down to 7.65, less book value, the ideal price would be in the region of 7L to 7.5L. Add another 10k, if you find the car very very good.
Old 14th December 2006, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

First year's depriciation is 20%.
U can calculate with this .
Old 14th December 2006, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey, the car is only 6 months & 6k kms old. lets give it a 10% depreciation. a typical dealer would offer around 6L for that & try to sell it for 8 L.
Old 14th December 2006, 23:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

@askids you have been driving around in an A/T car and you may not find the scorpio gearbox to your liking.Although I have not driven the new scorpio,in the past scorpios were not exactly suited for 6+ footers.

Now with regards to this car sir if you are able to afford an NHC cvt and dont mind the slightly lower FE figures then nothing like it[Although I heard CVT is fuel efficient on the highways with figures similar to the manual transmission cars].If however you find the cvt a strain on your budget only then go in for this car.Price quotes are available in the above posts.
Old 15th December 2006, 11:38   #7
BHPian

thanks for all the replies..7 to 7.5L seems to be price that I should look for for the car.

rahul, what is difference in FE between GXI and CVT version? My car will be driven mostly in the city and may occasionally take it on highway drives on weekend...also considering the overall/long term maintenance cost, which is costlier - GXI or the CVT version?

I will somehow strech my budget to accomodate CVT if its worth going for!

sorry to add in more choices..in the recent overdrive edition, I saw a review which says that Verna CRDi is better option to go for instead of GXI?
In autocar india, I also saw that a Elantra GLS(top end petrol) is now at the same price as CVT (~9.2L) and is fully loaded - ABS, air bags, traction control, climate control, alloy wheels, 6 CD changer. These are not even an option in City/Verna.

now i am in a big confusion because I have more choices :( - GXI(8.4L), CVT(9.2L), Elantra GLS(9.2L), Verna CRDi(8.5)
Old 15th December 2006, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

The nhc cvt should give around 11-12kmpl in the city Vs the gxi's 13kmpl.

The nhc cvt technology I have heard is such that it gives more fuel efficieny than the manual transmission variant on highways not sure but figures are around 14-15 kmpl and I think the gxi is also around the same.The cvt should be more expensive to maintain than the manual transmission variant but dont think there will be such a large difference.Since basically your car will only be driven in the city the cvt would make the most sense.The NHC was made for city driving and the cvt woud make it even more better.

The nhc though would be very underpowered compared to the hyundai cars.Stay away from the elantra as it is due for replacement soon.Verna crdi now thats a different ballgame altogether.

Ps:

You may like to read this:
NHC CVT review
Old 16th December 2006, 21:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
The nhc cvt should give around 11-12kmpl in the city Vs the gxi's 13kmpl.

The nhc cvt technology I have heard is such that it gives more fuel efficieny than the manual transmission variant on highways not sure but figures are around 14-15 kmpl and I think the gxi is also around the same.The cvt should be more expensive to maintain than the manual transmission variant but dont think there will be such a large difference.Since basically your car will only be driven in the city the cvt would make the most sense.The NHC was made for city driving and the cvt woud make it even more better.

The nhc though would be very underpowered compared to the hyundai cars.Stay away from the elantra as it is due for replacement soon.Verna crdi now thats a different ballgame altogether.

Ps:

You may like to read this:
NHC CVT review
thanks rahul..actually I got to team-bhp site through the same blog

also any idea, when is the elantra replacement due - next 3-4 months ? Is it worthwhile to wait for the replacement as elantra offers far more safety and luxury features than the honda CVT?
Old 19th December 2006, 21:05   #10
BHPian

The elantra replacement wouldnt be as cheap as the present model.IMHO the car which you should go in for is the cedia select I read somewhere atleast in delhi it is being offered for rs 8 lacs to clear 2006 stock and you can spend the remainning to make it look like(from both the exterior and interior) the cedia sports which only is cosmetically different than the select.I would recommend this over the city and the verna since the cedia is claa higher and has got a gem of an engine and gearbox.Otherwise if yo still want space as per overdrive go with verna crdi which has absolutely phenomenal accerlation.
Old 19th December 2006, 21:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by askids View Post

I am currently looking at buying a new car in 7.5-9L range..my current choices are honda city ZX GXI/CVT or Mahindra Scorpio...I know that both are in a different category alltogether..but still they are my choices Though I loved the Lancer Cedia Sports edition, its out of my budget. Also, I am 6ft tall and would prefer to have the car with ample leg space. I had been driving a '98 Nissan Maxima GXE A/T in US and so I am more inclined towards the CVT.

why not the Cedia Select.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks