Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2019, 15:42   #136
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

I just had a test ride of Yaris VX CVT today. Coming from a Tjet, driving a CVT was a huge difference. (first time I drove an automatic) While the ride was comfortable, relaxed with excellent NVH levels, I did not get any "connected" feeling with the car at all. In 5 mins I was losing interest in driving. I was wondering if I would ever like long drives with a CVT. Pricing wise, there are some good discounts available though.

The experience has left me wondering whether I should check out the Vento / Rapid TSI which I had ruled out due to the DSG issues I have read on the forum. Guess I need to "un-learn" my driving style if I decide to take a plunge for an automatic.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 24th May 2019 at 15:46.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 15:55   #137
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post

The experience has left me wondering whether I should check out the Vento / Rapid TSI which I had ruled out due to the DSG issues I have read on the forum. Guess I need to "un-learn" my driving style if I decide to take a plunge for an automatic.
Why not consider the Verna AT? It might turn out to be the right middle ground with boring at one end of the spectrum and questionable reliability at the other.
Old 24th May 2019, 16:54   #138
BHPian

I voted for the Honda City for the rev happy 1.5 i-VTEC and practical cabin, handling. Funnily enough, it's the same L15A motor which made its debut in India in the Dolphin City, albeit with more power, of-course. If I were to pick a diesel, it would be the Vento.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th May 2019 at 17:11. Reason: Post fixed - Typos, grammar, spacing. Please proof read before posting. Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:44   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
I currently am on the lookout for a Petrol automatic / AMT in the 9-12 lacs bracket and am super-confused.

This car will be worshipped for the next 5 years atleast. Will primarily be used by 2 adults and 2 kids. Sometimes one of my parents may also hop in. Safety features are non-negotiable. Will have an average running of 1000 kms per month..........

Dear members,A big Thank You ! After 4 months of study, finally decided on the Nexon AMT XZA+ Petrol variant and took delivery of the same the last week.I express my sincere gratitude to members AYP,ani_meher,DPetrolHead,Mu009,greendream,Lathees h,nirmaljustdoit,sumeethaldankar, Simhi and others for their advice.Also thanks to all members in the 'Nexon: Official Review' thread whose views helped a lot.

A lot of time and effort was spent in the decision which was taken based on the following criteria : Safety,Budget,Space,Dimensions,Ground clearance,Ride comfort,ASS, Mileage and Looks.Resale value was not a consideration as the car is planned to be kept till it dies.I should say availability of options has only increased the complexity in decision making.Cars under consideration were Nexon,Yaris,Ecosport Trend+ (the model got discontinued when i went to book it !),Aspire,Verna and i20 Asta.Every car ticked some or most of the criteria but not all and that added to the complexity.

Can confidently say that i can now provide some decent info on the above cars and their showrooms in Hyderabad Shall provide a detailed write-up on the Requirement-Booking experience-Initial riding experience etc.in a separate post.
Ram78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:18   #140
BHPian

On the verge of finalizing and booking the Toyota Yaris J (Option ) 6MT . Final price of around 9.7L OTR after about 40K in discounts and 20k off insurance.

My observations:
1. Overpriced it definitely is not. Yes the Skoda Rider Plus is cheaper by 87k and has rear AC, defogger , music system and automatic climate control but is old and doesn't feel fresh at all and wont be as reliable as a Yaris.

2. The Ciaz Delta is loaded and for the same price as Yaris has rear AC , ACC, defogger, music system but has poor build , poor safety and not as reliable or cheap to maintain as a Yaris. Again is very old.

3. The 4th gen city is available for 9.29L ex-showroom which is about 10.5L OTR. Has cruise control , ACC, Rear AC, defogger, music system but maruti like poor build is an issue.

4. The Yaris rides and handles really well. My previous car was a 1st gen Figo and I was surprised by the ride and handling combo which felt similar to the Figo though the steering feedback is zero. I could definitely live with this compared to a City or Ciaz.

5. The 6MT is a god send for highway drivability and mileage.

6. The interiors feel nice . Ofcourse my comparison is with rock hard plastics of Figo and rear space is an upgrade.

7.The build is strong like a Figo / Vento / Rapid and nowhere tinny like a Ciaz/ City.
Ragavsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 00:35   #141
BHPian

Many cars listed in this comparison have changed faces. Linea has been discontinued. Verna and City got a new face, so has Rapid and even Vento. Yaris itself has been re-jigged a bit. Diesel cars have been dropped in some cases and prices have changed too.

Its not the same landscape any longer. Could be useful to do a newly cooked C2 comparison independently of Yaris or any other brand.

Which one will you chose of the two?

Rapid AT/Rider Plus 9.5 lakh
(1.0 TSI, TC, minus alloys, minus DSHA, Plus hill hold, minus projector lamps)

Yaris AT/J-option 9.5 lakh
(1.5 CVT, all alloys, plus DSSA, plus projector lanps, minus hill hold)
nandadevieast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 09:11   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Rapid AT/Rider Plus 9.5 lakh
(1.0 TSI, TC, minus alloys, minus DSHA, Plus hill hold, minus projector lamps)

Yaris AT/J-option 9.5 lakh
(1.5 CVT, all alloys, plus DSSA, plus projector lanps, minus hill hold)
Aah, the archetypal heart vs mind scenario.
Took a TD of the Rapid manual a couple of weeks ago, but that was for a short 5km one.
Got my Qatar DL in the Yaris, but never drove one in India. Sat in the showroom display one, loved the well built feel that only Hyundais seem to give in the mass end of the market.

Chickened out of the Rapid deal. Yeah, warranty was pretty attractive, but again recent Skoda horror stories and not honouring the warranty.... couldn't stomach it.
Yaris, well. In exchange for the well built feel we lost the economy of our Etios D, with no FTD factor that the Rapid gave.

So in short
Go for the Rapid if you want a fun to drive car with understated classy styling. Go for all extended warranties and prepare for the worst from the A.S.S

Go for the Yaris if you want a boringly reliable, easy to drive cocoon from A-->B.

Both are safe, and the base variants surprisingly loaded, more so in the Rapid.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed