Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 14:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Yaris it is for me. One does not really need anything beyond the J variant as it has most of the important stuff that you won't get unless one pays almost 50% more in other cars. Android auto/ apple car play, Auto AC, turn indicators on side view mirrors, alloys, well don't think these are particularly important atleast for me, but a 5 star safety package, a smooth CVT, projector headlamps frankly are more than enough for me if i am buying a sedan today.

Last edited by SPARKled : 2nd July 2018 at 14:02.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 10:21   #32
BHPian

IMHO Yaris is the latest launch in this segment but looks the oldest. The aggressive front just does not match with the rest of the car, also there are too many things happening in the front. Although I drive through the Bangalore city everyday I had the first sighting of Yaris only yesterday. Verna on the other hand is a top notch all-rounder, be it looks, build quality, performance, features, anything.
amiya.c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 11:30   #33
BHPian

Exactly the analysis I did two months ago.

City - Brilliant cabin and comfort but noisy diesel engine with deteriorated build
Verna - Nice features but congested space in the rear bench and low driving position (I'm 6.2")
Linea - Handling..handling.. handling.. But not with that gearbox. Bulky too.
Ciaz - What space! Easy to live with too. But takes a lot of time to hit high speeds; and the handling at 120+ KMPH is a no-no.

Bought Vento DSG, DQ 200 reliability issues notwithstanding. Picked it up over Rapid for the clean styling. Voted for the Vento here too!!

Again, goes to prove there is no perfect car.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2018 at 08:10. Reason: Please do NOT mention illegally high speeds on the forum
Old 5th July 2018, 11:32   #34
BHPian

Yaris, albeit being new, is simply overpriced for what is on offer. Besides, it’s styling is not as catchy as a new car is expected to be. The interiors too especially the dashboard layout, is not to my personal taste. Toyotas are known for reliability, low costs of ownership and good service support. More so the big “T” is very magnetic. The Yaris will find a strong fan following, for sure.

The City on the other hand is also overpriced. However, with launch of the disproportionately priced Yaris, the City has started appearing economical in comparison. In a way Toyota is helping Honda in finding additional takers. Hondas are frugal and reliable. However, the short service interval of 6 months for a Honda car vis-a vis the 12 months interval offered by competitors, was a big deciding factor when I was into the market a few years ago.

The Verna is oven fresh with glittering looks. It has the most powerful engines and exhaustive list of amazing features. It is also priced very competitively. Hyundai cars are equally reliable and their service back up is extensive. The Verna has a spacious cabin. The legroom in front seats is good and is adequate at the rear. The rear seat leg space however is not as much generous as it is in a Ciaz or even a City. I usually travel with my family and the space in the back seat is a prime factor and can not afford a compromise.

The Ciaz, wears neutral clothes and looks sober. It has all basic elements in right places; it is spacious, comfortable, feature rich, it is as much reliable as any other car in this segment. On papers it may appear underpowered due to lesser horses and the small volume of the engine (which is lesser than competition by about 100ml). But in reality it is quick off the mark and reaches serious speeds in no time. It can cruise unrestrained all day at speeds that are permitted under statutes.

Build quality may appear somewhat tinny when compared to the Europeans due to difference in the gauge of metal sheets used. What matters most is the ability to protect the occupants against impacts in which the design of chassis plays a much important role. Thicker sheet metal would translate into better resistance against dents, rattles et-al but its response under a crash would follow the same pattern as designed by its Engineers (which a thin sheet would also do). If one is into belief that a heavy car would offer better resistance to deformation under external impacts, trust me none of the present day cars would survive a crash with a speeding truck or a bus.

Voted for the Ciaz.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 5th July 2018 at 11:44.
King_pin09 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 11:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

The flip flop of the Pole Position Continues on this segment:

Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-sedan.jpg
June Sales - C2 Segment

As always I voted for the City.
iDTEC Noise - What noise? The noise of the iDTEC has never bothered me and I love its in-city drive-ability
The Yaris numbers have begun to settle - and not sure if Toyota will be happy with these numbers...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 5th July 2018 at 11:42.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 11:41   #36
BHPian

Yaris it is for me.

Actually I do not need a sedan at all.

If I want a Honda id go for the Wrv. Also too many city's in my circle, I will never miss it.

If I want a Hyundai id go for the Creta

If I want a Maruti id go for the S-cross

If I want a Volkswagen id go for the Polo gt tsi

If I want vfm id go for the Nexon

But if I want Convenience, safety, comfort and reliability id go for the Yaris base variant. If I have lot if money to spare id go for the top variant. Id be rest assured for the next 10 years minimum. Yaris is the only reason id think sedan. Unless I have money for an Octavia reliability? What is that?

Last edited by 400notout : 5th July 2018 at 11:44.
400notout is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 11:53   #37
BHPian

Voted for the Skoda Rapid, though wanted to vote for Vento.
Prime reasons:
1. Vento looks the same as it was launched, but lot of updates. No consistency.
2. Rapid looks far better, road presence is as good as Vento if not better.
3. Nothing to choose really in terms of performance.
4. Verna should have been a logical choice if price comes into picture
Old 5th July 2018, 12:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Moreover- None of these cars are really brilliant to drive as well, so as to hype them as low slung sedans. They're decent and just about mature at best - none sporty like the Fiesta (discontinued) or Linea 125S (almost discontinued). If I'm really forced to choose one - It would most probably be a Verna CRDi 6AT which is a good all-rounder.
This is exactly what I did. It was an easy choice for me from this segment, was looking for a powerful diesel AT without needing to worry about parts availability & service costs (Deleted Vento & Rapid off the list).

Then I was having a notion that Hyundais are all boats, until I test drove the new Verna. At least that car isn't a boat, actually handles pretty well. The ride comfort is nowhere near Linea though.

Never considered Ciaz and I ruled against City because it didn't have Android Auto, the hype factor, inferior ride, not-so-fresh looks even after the latest face-lift, and no AT for Diesel.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 12:42   #39
BHPian

I think the best car (VFM and features) in this segment is the Verna. Did a lot of research before buying the SX(O) petrol AT. The only car which has android auto and carplay and a decent ICE , the absolutely essential ventilated seats and a refined and smooth engine and gearbox combo. The 6-Speed AT is smooth and works as expected with a light foot.

The city in lacks android auto and Carplay. the yaris misses out on the sunroof and has a buggy ICE.
Old 5th July 2018, 12:46   #40
BHPian

Is it just me, or does every single car in this segment have a deal-breaker?

City - Pricey, light build
Ciaz - Inconsistent quality, dull petrol engine
Verna - Cramped cabin
Yaris - Too overpriced, average rear seat
Vento, Rapid - Old, uncertain aftersales experience

No wonder the Creta sells like hot cakes
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 12:57   #41
BHPian

Exciting Poll ,Voted for the Verna as tested all the cars . City the build quality has really gone done over the years and honda service costs are shooting up like petrol prices.

Ciaz being from the Maruti stable simply did not find appealing and has its list of niggles . Maruti cars tend to be giving awkward noises post few thousand kms of run.

Verna so well put together. awesome petrol and diesel mills which are extremely refined . Features there is a long list and offers more car for the price paid . Hyundai after sales service is great.

Yaris too compact , pricing a major disadvantage, looks do not appeal, CVT is lethargic, I 20 would pose better cabin space.
So Verna it is

Last edited by Deepu Sharma : 5th July 2018 at 12:59. Reason: missed yaris
Deepu Sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think Hyundai 1.6 engines increase the insurance cost significantly every year. Due to IRDA's rules, engines above 1.5L are charged more for third party insurance, and hence there is a significant jump when the engine size crosses 1.5L. This is where other 1.5L engine cars shine above Verna (purely from annual costs perspective, not talking about other points).
ani_meher is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:03   #43
BHPian

Well as a owner of Honda City Diesel for 4 years, i'll whole heartedly recommend the Verna Diesel and believe it to be the best C2 segment sedan out there, i'am driving the same diesel engine in the Creta and its even faster in the Verna thanks to the aerodynamics and lower weight.

The features, the superb diesel engine, the interiors, the value for money pricing, the good ride quality with decent handling and the looks (subjective) make it a winner for me.

While enough have been said about the City's diesel engine with its average power and poor refinement, the reason i did'nt consider the City petrol are the other negatives in the car, the first being the build quality, the sheet metal is not much thicker than the tin can marutis and mine has little dents all over the body as a result of it being parked in my office parking lot with people probably banging their doors to get off.
My Cruze and Creta have survived the same parking with no such dents to speak of. The Verna has superior build quality.

The other negative is the poor ride quality, it is just not suitable for the indian road conditions and i have unanimously receieved complaints for the same from everyone who sits in my car. (To be fair i pass 25% of the blame to my semi low profile 16 inch wheels and Yokohama R1 tyres) but the Verna is much superior still.

The third is i never really had close to as much fun driving the Petrol City's engine that i do in driving turbo diesels especially the Verna/Creta's diesel engines among others, the surge of mid range torque seals the deal for me, the City's NA petrol feels flat in comparison. Going a bit off topic, my feelings with driving most NA petrol engines had been the same and i had almost written them off in my books, but i recently drove the new Swift and i really loved its petrol engine, it had a very decent low end, punchy mid range and reached its red line swiftly, the exhaust note sounded superb and i really enjoyed driving it and did'nt want to get off the car, never had such fun with the City's petrol engine.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 5th July 2018 at 13:05.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 13:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

Why is Nissan's Sunny not included in this poll?
This poll is about C2 segment sedans whereas the Sunny is a C1 segment car.
Old 5th July 2018, 13:33   #45
BHPian

Voted for Verna, as the European contenders are too old to qualify. Yet, of all the contenders, I feel Verna has a more refined (Petrol) engine and a good build that imbibes the sense of security right after the Europeans (VW/Skoda/Fiat) and obviously a lot better after sales service and dealer network. Fiat is shutting shops around. Existing Fiat dealership looks similar to a haunted place in my city. the iVtec is sweetest of the Petrol engine, yet came across many people complaining about random rattling parts in their newer gen city cars, which translates to neglected quality control and poor build. Hyundais are a safer bet from that perspective. Yaris is horribly priced, and Marutis have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its sibling.
GTO, I'll share few reasons that I can think of probably.

1. I have a friend who owns Rapid petrol MT. He has time and again stressed on the point that engine tuning is different than the Vento, and is a lot better driveable in the city and heavy traffic than Vento Petrol.

2. VW brings too slow updates to notice, no visual updates on their cars in long times, and for more updates they brought to Polo and Vento, they introduced an even higher trim (highline plus). Skoda on the other hand squeezed the newer updates to the existing variant range. People popular features like Steering mounted controls, alloy wheels, etc. being offered only on highline and not from the mid variant which Skoda offers. Skoda at least brought a mild facelift to Rapid

3. Recently on a car-hunting spree for my friend, I took him to VW and Skoda, and Skoda's dealership treated way too better. Not that VW was any bad or arrogant, but Skoda was better. Their premium positioning is working well, as VW provides a hatch and sub-4m sedan below Vento, and Skoda promotes the Rapid subtly as their cheapest offering. When this, combined with flashy gimmicks such as all the upmarket Skoda cars (Kodiaq/Superb/Octavia) on display around the Rapid puts a psychological effect on customer's mind. The showroom people even let us sit in vRS, Superb and a Kodiaq on display. To add to this premium positioning, I'd like to add one thing lastly. Apart from TBHP, I'm yet to meet one person in real life who calls their Skoda cars by their name. I know many people around and in different states in the country who own Rapid/Laura/Octavia but they call their cars Skoda. I know a joint family who own multiple cars, but they have Ciaz, Scorpio, Creta and Skoda , and not Rapid. Something I haven't seen anywhere in the mass market segments. Only Merc/BMW/Audi/Jag/Volvo owners refer to their cars by brand name. And even the SA at Skoda showroom emphasized on the same.

These things tip the scale in favor of Skoda and VW is enjoying being a parent of Skoda and Audis so far in India.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks