Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 22:20   #61
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its
Atleast here in Punjab, Skoda has a cult value, since the days of the original octavia diesel.
There is also a song by the famous punjabi singer Ranjit Bawa "chit karda Skoda la lawa, par karjay ton dar lagda" ( i wish to buy a Skoda, but i am scared of being under debt ). Donwatch the video on youtube
jassi_jeeper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 23:12   #62
BHPian

I won't opt for C2 segment Sedan, instead I might go for a compact SUV or an automatic Hatchback.Voted for Others
Old 6th July 2018, 00:17   #63
BHPian

Voted for Rapid. Why?

1. For clean and matured styling. In fact it is the best looking car in the segment.
2. Safety features. 4 airbags (top model)
3. Best build quality in segment
4. Features are no less than competition
5. Skoda has the ‘niche’ status
6. Providing all set of features even in top model (had Hyundai done this in diesel AT top model, I would have voted for it)
Old 6th July 2018, 00:34   #64
BHPian

Yaris.
The segment now offers only dull but comfort oriented options( Fiesta is gone and the Linea is from 2005) so I would go for the best practical car, which is the Yaris, despite the steep price. It has a good build, solid safety features and a smooth CVT, coupled with a nicely sorted dynamics package and the Yaris takes the cake. I don't like the styling and I'm sure the rivals have better engines but for an A to B car the Yaris is the best.
Rejected Honda because of pathetic build quality and bad ASS.
Rapid/ Vento are too old.
Verna is nice but not as well made as the Toyota or as dynamically sorted.
Old 6th July 2018, 05:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Picked the Honda City. Was a tough call having owned a Fiat Linea T Jet, which in my books is still the best if all you care about is driving pleasure.

Honda's legendary ivtec motor does not know when to stop revving. The City has all the room you could ask for (surprised to read that it falls short on rear legroom), has most toys you'll need and does a decent job in the ride and handling department. After sales support is excellent too.

If it has to be a diesel, I can live with either of the VW family of cars. I love the way the TDI motor sounds and pulls. It is like a tractor.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th July 2018 at 05:20.
Old 6th July 2018, 05:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Voted for City this time around but Yaris has really upped the game with its 7 airbags and automatic options across the range. The rest will follow suit?!!!
Old 6th July 2018, 08:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
I'd like to add one thing lastly. Apart from TBHP, I'm yet to meet one person in real life who calls their Skoda cars by their name. I know many people around and in different states in the country who own Rapid/Laura/Octavia but they call their cars Skoda. I know a joint family who own multiple cars, but they have Ciaz, Scorpio, Creta and Skoda , and not Rapid. Something I haven't seen anywhere in the mass market segments. Only Merc/BMW/Audi/Jag/Volvo owners refer to their cars by brand name..
Wow! I never noticed that I too say that I own a Skoda (Rapid) all these years. In fact my brother says he owns a Skoda (Fabia) and an endeavour. This is a gem of an insight.

Apart from that I feel that it is the word of mouth from existing owners which is helping Skoda vs. Vento. Well I haven't met anyone in real life who have been affected by the much maligned " Skoda's after sales". At least in bigger cities, Skoda's service is as good as any other brand. I think it is has become a cliché now and even those who have absolutely no experience with Skoda cars makes sweeping statements.

Voted for Skoda!

Last edited by Lambydude : 6th July 2018 at 08:49.
Lambydude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 09:42   #68
BHPian

Voted for Honda city. It is the best balance of power and price. If confused, this is the safest car that anyone could lay his hands on. Also the bullet proof reliability of Honda makes it the best contender in this segment. Have 2 Honda in Family. Both petrol and diesel and both done around 80000 kilometers and till date they are not showing any signs of ageing. These have been serviced at Honda only and not even one single time the service bills have exceeded 7000 Rupees.

Would have voted for Yaris. But read in the T-BHP review that the engine performance is lackluster and leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 6th July 2018, 11:17   #69
BHPian

Voted for YARIS!

Reasons:
1. Brand T: Assures the fill it-shut it-forget it feel. Toyota's reliability is commendable even in taxi segment, white boards will definitely have a good song to sing.
2. Safety: All variants get 7 airbags. I am ok to spend extra to get such all round safety for my family.
3. Resale value: T brand always enjoyed a better resale value, YARIS won't be any different.
4. Automatic Availability: 7 speed cvt was available in all variants.

Above all that, agreed that the Toyota cars are costly, but they last long, really long without burning a hole in the pocket.

My current car is a FIAT PUNTO 90HP and it's hoot to drive, I can proudly say, no other car even a segment above matches the feel of it... But when it comes to repairs, spares won't last long, plus they incur a significant cost. I had changed all front suspension, arms and other parts with mileage around 60K kms. Now to match, I have seen many Etios which were taxis, with 2 Lakh kms on the ODO with stock clutch and suspension!

That's the commendable quality which I would like to spend more money upfront and bring a Toyota home!
Old 6th July 2018, 11:46   #70
BHPian

Tough choice between Yaris and Verna and eventually selected Yaris for the below reasons:
- Safety aspect: 7 Airbags, superior build quality and so on
- Reliability: Currently own a Crysta GX AT. Although I had my fair share of niggles and concern with it, I know for sure and can vouch for its long term reliability
- A.S.S: Own a Hyundai for almost 10 years now and the service/maintenance expenses are atrocious. Also over a long term ownership, the parts keep falling apart. The biggest nuisance is the AC. Experienced this in both my i10s (One Manual and another AT) and after 5 years, the list of parts to be replaced just keeps growing. Its little cheaper to maintain my Crysta than my i10 AT (Maitenance, Service Costs and Fuel expenses included), even though the former is a bigger car and from a higher segment altogether.
- Features in the lower variants: I would only pick up the base Yaris G variant which is decently equipped and reasonably priced as well, when compared to the base variant of Verna.

Limited rear head room and width is not a deal breaker for me at all. Didnt consider City mainly for the reason its been around for a while now and its no longer THE CITY that it used to be.

Last edited by samabhi : 6th July 2018 at 11:48.
Old 6th July 2018, 13:21   #71
BHPian

Tussle between Honda City and Toyota Yaris (only petrol being considered):

Honda City Pros
* Smoothest ride
* Quietest engine
* Known ground clearance

Toyota Yaris Pros
* High level of Safety with 7 airbags
* Legendary Toyota reliability

But voted for Honda City as there is no clarity on Yaris ground clearance details(??)
Old 6th July 2018, 13:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
But voted for Honda City as there is no clarity on Yaris ground clearance details(??)
Ground clearance for Yaris is mentioned in the official review. Quoting from the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Plastic underbody protection at the front does not stretch back a long way. Ground clearance is 152 mm laden, 175 mm unladen:
Old 6th July 2018, 14:21   #73
BHPian

I have been watching this thread for a while and I disagree with the assumptions that
  • Hyundai cars are reliable. They seem to be, in other parts of the country, but Bangalore city just takes a beating on them, and parts stop functioning. Primarily, the issues are with the A/C and Clutch. And a rare case is when the engine has an issue. My friend had a part connected to his flywheel and the water pump belt, that broke off as he went over a speed-breaker at <5kmph. Grand i10. Clocked 18,000 km. Just out of warranty.
  • Hyundai A.S.S is good. But at least in Bangalore, the service centres are bad; they charge obnoxious rates, but are experts in cleaning the car well to make sure you feel that it has been serviced.
All that, and considering that Hyundai has made a mess of the variants (no SX(O) features in Diesel AT), I did not vote for the Verna.

I did not vote for the Yaris because I feel that it could have had a better interior design (read as dysfunctional Armrest, Atrocious rear bench space)

I did not vote for the Vento because of high maintenance costs and doubts over the DSG reliability.

I did not vote for the Rapid because of similarly high maintenance costs and DSG gremlins, and also because of Skoda's poor response in handling the Vinayak Skoda Car Scam.

I did not vote for the Ciaz because I felt that Maruti could have added a more powerful engine for the C2 segment.

I did not vote for the Linea because of the dying FIAT brand.

Thus, I voted for the City because of the petrol motor, the rear bench space, and the handling. While I don't like the horrible mileage in Bangalore city traffic (8 kmpl), the stiff suspension, and the dealership network, and the niggles, the reliability of the car is something that I am hopeful of.

My ideal car would combine the design and space of the City with the engine of the Diesel Verna, the paint quality and service network of Toyota, while rocking MRF Perfinzas, and most importantly, the transmission of the vRS. On a more realistic note, I'd be happy with the Torque Converter of the Verna or the CVT of the City.
CaptainPrice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 14:27   #74
BHPian

I voted for Honda City. Primarily because of the Engine (Petrol) other reasons include: Spacious back seats (important in this segment), Perceived status when you own a Honda City !
Old 6th July 2018, 18:16   #75
BHPian

Honda city for me. Why? I have a petrol AT with me which I bought in 2010.
That is all. No more explanation
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed