Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 15:52   #106
BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
I'm pretty upbeat about the yaris and found it to be quite the comfortable family car (with the standard toyota hassle free maintenance ). Post test drive, it's almost approved. I just needed to know if the engine is BS VI compliant or can be made compliant in the future.

Does anyone have any idea about the BS VI compatibility?
Did you finally go ahead and buy Yaris? Did you get to know if the engine is BS VI compatible? The SA I spoke to a couple of days back here in Bangalore assured me it conforms to BS VI.
Old 4th February 2019, 17:14   #107
BHPian

Hi,
Still haven't finalized a car yet (too many opinions). As I understood, BSVI norms will be more of a problem for diesel cars, so petrol should be more or less fine. So, if your're smitten by the Yaris and since toyota is providing discounts; I'd say go for it.
Old 6th February 2019, 22:39   #108
BHPian

I currently am on the lookout for a Petrol automatic / AMT in the 9-12 lacs bracket and am super-confused.

This car will be worshipped for the next 5 years atleast. Will primarily be used by 2 adults and 2 kids. Sometimes one of my parents may also hop in. Safety features are non-negotiable. Will have an average running of 1000 kms per month.

Have short-listed Nexon XMA (AMT) and Yaris J. Maruti’s and Hyundai are not being considered. I had a Duster earlier and would have bought the CVT except for the niggles thread that I have seen in our forum. It’s the family's choice as well.

Have been pouring over the posts on Nexon and Yaris for over 10 hours in the past week and have taken TDs. Between the two, wife and kids are blown over by the Nexon’s interiors with Yaris being a so-so. I too like the Nexon from the front ,love the interiors but find it very difficult to even look at it from the rear. How i wish it had a different back ! For me, Yaris J seems to be better due to the perceived reliability and acceptable design.

Post offers, Nexon will cost approx. 9.1 OTR in Hyderebad while Yaris J = 11.6. Tata have offered me an approx.10000 benefit while Toyota = 30000 cash reduction + 10000 accessories. Both 2019 versions.
I’m a middle-aged guy and ought to take my own decisions but when it comes to cars, I wouldn’t mind blindly following the opinion of our forum members.

Please help reduce this confusion.Also,would the BSVI norms be an issue if i buy the car now?
My past / current ownership experience: Indica Xeta, M800,Duster,Wagon R and Crysta.
Old 6th February 2019, 23:37   #109
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
I currently am on the lookout for a Petrol automatic / AMT in the 9-12 lacs bracket and am super-confused.

Safety features are non-negotiable.
Have short-listed Nexon XMA (AMT) and Yaris J. Maruti’s and Hyundai are not being considered. I had a Duster earlier and would have bought the CVT except for the niggles thread that I have seen in our forum. It’s the family's choice as well.
Please help reduce this confusion.
The Yaris J would be my suggestion as well due to the presence of 7 airbags in the car. Coupled with Toyota reliability and the CVT vs AMT, it should be the pick between the two. You have stated that your family was bowled over by the Nexon's interiors. I hope that they have seen the interiors of the XM variant as well. For me atleast, it is only from the XT than the interiors look visually appealing and even then, the lack of the floating touchscreen makes a huge difference to the interior ambiance in favour of the XZ/XZ+.

I do feel that the discount which you are getting is too low for the Yaris. I have seen members' post stating discounts in the range of 1.5L, though this is for the higher variants.

Alternates-

1. Even though I am suggesting the Yaris to you, at the back of my mind, I am getting reminded of the fact that it is the bare-bones base variant which you are interested in. While there is no compromise in terms of safety, it misses out on steering mounted controls which IMO are an important safety feature as well. If possible I'd suggest you to stretch for the G CVT. You might get better discounts as well.

2. The Ecosport would fit your budget as well. The top end AT with 6 airbags will overshoot it. Though the Trend+ AT will fit your budget. It comes with 2 airbags just like the Nexon. While it has not been tested by NCAP, there is a general consensus on the forum that it should be as safe as the Nexon. That being said, it may not be very wise to rely on a hunch of some people when it comes to your family's safety.

Quote:
Also,would the BSVI norms be an issue if i buy the car now?
While it may be better to wait, more than 3 million cars will be sold until then. And this in addition to the ones which have already been purchased. I don't think that the new car buyers would in any way be majorly inconvenienced by their purchase.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 23:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

It's the classic dilemma, highest version of lower segment vs lowest version of higher segment! Some members will say buy the Nexon as it offers the highest version with all goodies. Some like me will say buy the Yaris as it is a segment above, and you can retrofit a number of missing features later on, but you can't upgrade the segment of the car once purchased.

I read on forum that last year's Yaris had some 1.7L discount. You can try for that, so that you get G version of Yaris at least (I think that comes with the special glass, forgot what it is called).
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 00:08   #111
BHPian

Both the cars are fitting in your requirements quite well. Since the car won't be kept for a very long period, you should go with the Nexon because it will give you better resale as compared to flop Yaris.
Also, why are you not considering Nexon XZA Plus? It will fit in your budget too with all the bells and whistles.
If you are open to other choices, consider EcoSport Trend+ Automatic. You may find it a little cramped but the driveability and the smooth gearbox will make up for it.
Another option is Honda City but that will be a bit over the budget and low GC is also a deal breaker for some.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 08:05   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
Since the car won't be kept for a very long period, you should go with the Nexon because it will give you better resale as compared to flop Yaris.
Never thought I'd see the day where a Tata would have better resale than a Toyota!

I get there are factors to offset brand equity like the diminishing popularity of sedans, hit v/s flop, but it will be nice to see both brands commanding the used price they deserve for a change (rather than what Indians perceive they should).
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 10:10   #113
BHPian

Quote:

This car will be worshipped for the next 5 years atleast. Will primarily be used by 2 adults and 2 kids. Sometimes one of my parents may also hop in. Safety features are non-negotiable. Will have an average running of 1000 kms per month.

Have short-listed Nexon XMA (AMT) and Yaris J.
Yaris would be my choice. Although Tata cars in recent times are garnering attention, my experiences with them in the past, would make me wait for a while to see how they perform in the long run before I spend my money. I faced annoying mechanical problems and strange electrical issues.
The Nexon is pathetic to look at from the rear. The Yaris though not a great looker is conservative and a safe design. We have a phantom brown colour in our family, looks good in that shade.
The car you say will be with you for 5 years at least. Keep it for longer, may be as a second car. A automatic sedan with that boot for holiday and airport luggage, gives you freedom to buy another car, say a hatch for city or a proper suv for tough roads.
Toyota runs for ever with proper care. The service is brilliant. The cvt is any day better.
Look for a 2018 model. The discounts as others have mentioned will be very high. If you plan to keep it for long, during resale year doesn’t matter, condition does.
The base model of Yaris gives acceptable creature comforts. It’s VFM in my opinion.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 10:16   #114
Senior - BHPian

Yaris J +ves
7 airbags
Rear middle adjustable head rest and 3 point seat belt
CVT

Yaris J -ves
Boring and bit ugly exterior
Useless arm rest
Rear head room is less
No speed sensing central lock
No rear defogger

Beige seat cover may get dirty fast and aftermarket seat cover cannot be fitted due to airbags

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th February 2019 at 10:24.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 10:43   #115
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Going beyond the looks my choice would be the Yaris, definitely for the build quality, sheer reliability, safety aspect, Toyota after sales service. The smoothness and overall refinement also are better. Resale value at this point is debatable. The Yaris is a safe though boring car and appeals more to the head than the heart.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 01:47   #116
BHPian

Thanks to members who have responded to my post.For my requirements, looks like it's an unanimous view that Yaris is the way to go instead of the Nexon and purely based on your suggestions i have decided to book the 2018 Yaris J cvt .

I personally preferred Grey but for the family it's a big no-no. Red is what they want..no compromise and so i have reluctantly resigned to the choice.Checked with the SA for the colour availability.Couple of days back i was told there was only Grey and Phantom brown available,but on re-checking it turned out that there is just one Red..only for me..in stock ! So looks like i'l be among the very few team members who will own a Yaris.

Just one concern: The vehicle is Sept'2018 manufactured. Hoping that it should not cause any trouble.Your opinion
I do not know how this 'multi-quote' function works in our forum.Hence replying with the members name as reference:

AYP: Frankly my family and even i have liked the interiors of Nexon,even the XMA variant.Fully agree with you that the XZ+ is visually more appealing.You suggested looking at the Yaris G variant instead of the J. Actually it was a typo from my side.The budget was between 9-11 lacs and not 12 as initially stated.And the G despite discounts was way over 11 or 12 even. As for Ecosport,the moment i received your message checked the OTR but the Trend+AT variant is again at the north side of 11 lacs. Also not comfortable with the Ford badge.Your comment on the BSVI norms concern of mine comforts me

ani_meher : Your comment on the 'classic dilemma' was spot on. It helped. As for the discount,yes..i might end up getting quite a few more thousands,20-30 than the initial 100000 offered.

DPetrolHead : You were hell bent on compounding my misery by providing a couple of more choices On a serious note,it really helped.Thanks.

Also thanks to members Mu009,greendream,Latheesh and nirmaljusdoit for expressing their views on the subject.
Ram78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 00:41   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to members who have responded to my post.For my requirements, looks like it's an unanimous view that Yaris is the way to go instead of the Nexon and purely based on your suggestions i have decided to book the 2018 Yaris J cvt .

I personally preferred Grey but for the family it's a big no-no. Red is what they want..no compromise and so i have reluctantly resigned to the choice.Checked with the SA for the colour availability.Couple of days back i was told there was only Grey and Phantom brown available,but on re-checking it turned out that there is just one Red..only for me..in stock ! So looks like i'l be among the very few team members who will own a Yaris.

Just one concern: The vehicle is Sept'2018 manufactured. Hoping that it should not cause any trouble.Your opinion

I do not know how this 'multi-quote' function works in our forum.Hence replying with the members name as reference:

AYP: Frankly my family and even i have liked the interiors of Nexon,even the XMA variant.Fully agree with you that the XZ+ is visually more appealing.You suggested looking at the Yaris G variant instead of the J. Actually it was a typo from my side.The budget was between 9-11 lacs and not 12 as initially stated.And the G despite discounts was way over 11 or 12 even. As for Ecosport,the moment i received your message checked the OTR but the Trend+AT variant is again at the north side of 11 lacs. Also not comfortable with the Ford badge.Your comment on the BSVI norms concern of mine comforts me

ani_meher : Your comment on the 'classic dilemma' was spot on. It helped. As for the discount,yes..i might end up getting quite a few more thousands,20-30 than the initial 100000 offered.

DPetrolHead : You were hell bent on compounding my misery by providing a couple of more choices On a serious note,it really helped.Thanks.

Also thanks to members Mu009,greendream,Latheesh and nirmaljusdoit for expressing their views on the subject.

How much discount did you finally get? Is it the 1.7-2.0 lac that folks have been mentioning on the forum. Please let me know as I've been looking to 'potentially' buy this variant, and info has been very difficult to come by...
Old 10th February 2019, 21:08   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
How much discount did you finally get? Is it the 1.7-2.0 lac that folks have been mentioning on the forum. Please let me know as I've been looking to 'potentially' buy this variant, and info has been very difficult to come by...
Currently the figure stands @1.3 lacs. If i take insurance from dealer, the discount will be 1.4 lacs. Told them that i will be taking the insurance from outside. Still pushing for 1.4 lacs.

Do note that the discounts vary across models. The one I'm looking for is the base variant..J.If you are looking at the higher variants, you may be able to negotiate for the 1.7lacs+ figure. I'll keep you posted on the final discount i got.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:06   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The Yaris J would be my suggestion as well due to the presence of 7 airbags in the car. Coupled with Toyota reliability and the CVT vs AMT, it should be the pick between the two. You have stated that your family was bowled over by the Nexon's interiors. I hope that they have seen the interiors of the XM variant as well. For me atleast, it is only from the XT than the interiors look visually appealing and even then, the lack of the floating touchscreen makes a huge difference to the interior ambiance in favour of the XZ/XZ+.

2. The Ecosport would fit your budget as well. The top end AT with 6 airbags will overshoot it. Though the Trend+ AT will fit your budget. It comes with 2 airbags just like the Nexon. While it has not been tested by NCAP, there is a general consensus on the forum that it should be as safe as the Nexon. That being said, it may not be very wise to rely on a hunch of some people when it comes to your family's safety.
One twist in the tale. After finalising the Yaris with 50% approval of family, visited the Ford showroom which is close to my place just to prove to my wife that the Yaris is actually the better among the available choices, with our limitations.But things turned out otherwise.There was this red/maroon Aspire parked inside. Wow! Both me and wife fell in love with it.It looked beautiful and compact.However the top end Automatic Titanium comes with only 2 airbags.The service costs atleast as per the brochure seems to be around 4000 per year. Heart now says Aspire while the Head says Yaris..only due to the extra airbags.Family feels the seats sit lower than Aspire. Expert comments please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
It's the classic dilemma, highest version of lower segment vs lowest version of higher segment! Some members will say buy the Nexon as it offers the highest version with all goodies. Some like me will say buy the Yaris as it is a segment above, and you can retrofit a number of missing features later on, but you can't upgrade the segment of the car once purchased.
There you go! Highest automatic version of Aspire v/s lowest version of Yaris.I know your choice will be the Yaris. But do you think the Aspire will be safe? It's illogical comparing Yaris with Aspire on safety. A 7 airbag car is any day safer than a 2 airbags car. But still..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Never thought I'd see the day where a Tata would have better resale than a Toyota!

I get there are factors to offset brand equity like the diminishing popularity of sedans, hit v/s flop, but it will be nice to see both brands commanding the used price they deserve for a change (rather than what Indians perceive they should).
The car will be kept till it dies. Now comment on the resale between Yaris and Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Yaris would be my choice. Although Tata cars in recent times are garnering attention, my experiences with them in the past, would make me wait for a while to see how they perform in the long run before I spend my money. I faced annoying mechanical problems and strange electrical issues.
The Nexon is pathetic to look at from the rear. The Yaris though not a great looker is conservative and a safe design. We have a phantom brown colour in our family, looks good in that shade.
The car you say will be with you for 5 years at least. Keep it for longer, may be as a second car. A automatic sedan with that boot for holiday and airport luggage, gives you freedom to buy another car, say a hatch for city or a proper suv for tough roads.
Toyota runs for ever with proper care. The service is brilliant. The cvt is any day better.
Agree on the Nexon looks front. I simply loved the Aspire. Even better than Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yaris J +ves
7 airbags
Rear middle adjustable head rest and 3 point seat belt
CVT

Yaris J -ves
Boring and bit ugly exterior
Useless arm rest
Rear head room is less
No speed sensing central lock
No rear defogger

Beige seat cover may get dirty fast and aftermarket seat cover cannot be fitted due to airbags
Any comments on the Aspire front Sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Going beyond the looks my choice would be the Yaris, definitely for the build quality, sheer reliability, safety aspect, Toyota after sales service. The smoothness and overall refinement also are better. Resale value at this point is debatable. The Yaris is a safe though boring car and appeals more to the head than the heart.
Would be grateful if you could comment on the new addition i.e Aspire.

Before someone comments on the other options, tried out the i20 with 6 airbags and Jazz as well.The FE of i20 CVT reported by members as 6-7 broke the deal while Jazz too did not cut ice.

To the entire forum: Dragging this on as having owned and sold 4 cars + currently having a second car Wagon R used by my wife, want no more experiments. Want to get it just right this time. Age is 40 if that helps
Ram78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:49   #120
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heart now says Aspire while the Head says Yaris..only due to the extra airbags.Family feels the seats sit lower than Aspire. Expert comments please.
Well, if the safety features are still non-negotiable, then it is indeed the Yaris you should go for.

However, I can totally understand your dilemma, the heart wants what it wants . The Aspire is indeed a much better package, especially when you consider the fact that it is the J variant of the Yaris you are going for. So yes, as a whole package, I'd say the Aspire beats the Yaris J.

However, there still may be a way to balance your wants and needs. As I had stated in my original post, the Ecosport Trend+ automatic will cost you around the same as the Yaris J and should be a safer car than the Aspire while providing the same engine and gearbox combo and a similar feature set as well.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed