Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2018, 10:10   #16
BANNED

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Does anybody know if this has any Mazda DNA in it? The Yaris sedan sold in the US is a rebadged Mazda2
Not even a single strand. Completely different vehicles.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 10:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Does anybody know if this has any Mazda DNA in it? The Yaris sedan sold in the US is a rebadged Mazda2
Nope.

Entirely different cars.

The Yaris sold in North America is a rebadged Mazda 2 with a sorry nose job.

The Yaris we get here is well...A proper Yaris.

(Mahn...Why can't Mazda and Subaru come to india.? )
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 10:56   #18
BHPian

Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Voted for the Yaris. Initially, I was skeptical of the car after seeing the on paper specs. However, the moment I got a chance to drive the manual version of the car, my opinion has totally reversed. The Yaris betters the Germans (in terms of driving) and wins on safety and the after sales service.

That is pretty reassuring. If I am not wrong you used to be a sales executive to sell the ciaz at nexa and coming from you makes it all the more interesting. After all the negativity surrounding the the car this comes as a breath of fresh air. I feel that unless one needs to carry 5 people regularly this car makes a good case for itself considering the brand and safety. My handle may suggest that I am biased towards the brand but that's just because of the fantastic experience I have had with Toyota in the last 13 years. I see no reason to change my loyalties and would love to graduate to a Lexus whenever they come out with more sensibly priced ckd options.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 11:28   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow! The Verna is leading this poll. Just goes to show what a long way Hyundai's product development skills have come. Would also add that the Yaris is no.3 because the rest are weak (e.g. Ciaz) or too old (e.g. Vento).

Petrol: It's the City for me. Would buy a Petrol MT and high-rev away to glory. Still the best petrol + MT combination in the market. I'd get a white or silver car with black after-market rims, a blackened roof, firm the suspension up a bit and add a free-flow exhaust.

Diesel: Verna Diesel AT. Top class engine + gearbox combination, superb feature list, mind-blowing refinement and neutral on-road behaviour (no longer a boat like the earlier Vernas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
These are commuter and family cars and I don't expect them to perform like sports sedans which are in a different league starting with the Octavia vRS and upwards.
True, but for most people, it's their only car and the one they derive driving pleasure from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
As a current owner of Ciaz, I rarely recommend this to anyone. It has many flaws in it, weak and noisy engine, poor suspension set up, auto center steering issues and so on.
Unbiased only like a true BHPian could be . Thank you!

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2018 at 11:30.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 11:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow! The Verna is leading this poll. Just goes to show what a long way Hyundai's product development skills have come.
Unbiased only like a true BHPian could be . Thank you!
Not only the poll, but actual sales as well. Here's the sum total of for 2018 till date (Jan - May, 2018).

Ciaz - 23420 units.
Verna - 20,631 units.
City - 14,694 units.

Although Ciaz is leading, but it also has a significant price advantage and that also results in some fleet and taxi sales, unlike the Verna. More significantly for Hyundai - Verna has really taken a lead over the City once again, which has been its real arch rival since over three generations now. Even more significant considering this feat is despite the fall of diesel car sales across the market - which was the main USP for the Verna in the earlier generations.

Rather rare to strike a balance between the enthusiasts and actual sales markets.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th June 2018 at 12:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 15:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
(Mahn...Why can't Mazda and Subaru come to india.? )
Seriously wish Subaru would enter the country I'm sure they could afford to if they rummaged through their pockets they offer such a good balance between a pure driving experience and practicality along with reliability and quality. Should really suit our market very well imo
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 15:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
More significantly for Hyundai - Verna has really taken a lead over the City once again, which has been its real arch rival since over three generations now.
Verna Vs City sales history shows that Verna burns bright at launch, starts trending downwards and finally settles down at much lower levels by the end of its life cycle. Honda City sales are much more stable.

Quote:
Rather rare to strike a balance between the enthusiasts and actual sales markets.
If I really have to pick a car from this segment, I think I would pick the Verna too. Seems like a complete package - no significant negatives, availability of petrol/diesel engines in MT/AT guise etc. And yes, on the road, it looks like a car from higher segment.

Last edited by SmartCat : 30th June 2018 at 15:49.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 17:22   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its sibling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Verna Vs City sales history shows that Verna burns bright at launch, starts trending downwards and finally settles down at much lower levels by the end of its life cycle. Honda City sales are much more stable.
I predict that things will be more stable with this generation. Previous Verna generations were flip-flops - good in some areas, bad in others.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 19:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey I am not voting on this poll.

Simply because it is a tie between the City and the Verna for me.

If it is Petrol, it will be the Honda City. If the option is diesel then it is the Verna for me.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 20:23   #25
BHPian

Voted for Yaris. Even though I day dream about upgrading to either Ford Fiesta / Focus (when launched ), will pick Yaris (reality bites ) for practicality (Petrol CVT), safety (7 airbags, break assist and ISOFIX child seat anchors offered from base variant) and reliability.
murthy_p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 23:36   #26
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Vento due to its stonker of an engine(diesel) and the excellent build quality.
Though if this poll was for a petrol only option, I'd choose the Honda City.

Quote:
Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its.
The Vento has two major advantages over the Rapid-

1. The VW brand.
2. Better or at least perceived better after sales of VW w.r.t. Skoda.

If I remember correctly, the Rapid only started selling more than the Vento after the late 2016 update that the Rapid got making it the better looker of the two. Before that the Vento used to sell higher. Cheaper cost is another factor as well, but that has stayed constant since the time these cars were launched.

Last edited by AYP : 30th June 2018 at 23:38.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 05:25   #27
BHPian

Verna, all the way.

But if I had my way, I would find a way to mix the best bits of Verna and City together to come out with Verty (lol). Take the spacious cabin and the engine of the city and put the infotainment system of the Verna in it. That would make the perfect C2 segment car.
Palaver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 17:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Seriously wish Subaru would enter the country I'm sure they could afford to if they rummaged through their pockets they offer such a good balance between a pure driving experience and practicality along with reliability and quality. Should really suit our market very well imo
Add to that both of them have decent diesel engines in their lineup (though that is not a major setback in today's world)

But in today's Maruti dominated Indian market, completely new entrants will have a tough time. They had created a beautiful niche market for themselves through persistent performance in developed nations.

Recreating that in India would be a tough call, more so since they are both under the indirect influence of Toyota. Plus the future of Toyota-Maruti marriage in India.

Quote:
Whoa! The Skoda Rapid beats the VW Vento in a 9:1 ratio currently. Curious to know why, since they are almost identical product-wise? Could those who voted on these share their reasoning? Even in the market, the Rapid outsells its sibling.
Guess in addition to the early mover advantage that Skoda has in brand power among Indians, there maybe another factor.

In the mid 2000s Skoda was like a 'mini-Benz' for the layman, while though VW tried the top-down approach in product launch, for most people it was the Polo that established brand VW.

So for most of the buyers, it is like
Vento = Polo with boot.
Rapid = baby brother of Octavia.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

I would have voted for the Yaris if Toyota had done a bit more effort to make it the choice in its segment. And there are not many other stand-out choices I can see in its segment; hence voted others. For the price range of this segment, I would actually go and get an Ecosport top variant.
Old 2nd July 2018, 13:08   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Verna, all the way.

But if I had my way, I would find a way to mix the best bits of Verna and City together to come out with Verty (lol). Take the spacious cabin and the engine of the city and put the infotainment system of the Verna in it. That would make the perfect C2 segment car.
If a car married the engines and ATs of the Verna with the space of the City and the suspensions and build quality of the Rapid/Vento, that would be quite something. Even at the price of the Yaris
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed