Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which C2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Yaris 93 14.86%
Honda City 179 28.59%
Maruti Ciaz 48 7.67%
Hyundai Verna 169 27.00%
Skoda Rapid 67 10.70%
Volkswagen Vento 46 7.35%
Fiat Linea 17 2.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 1.12%
Voters: 626. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2018, 14:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-yaris-comparo.png

Toyota Yaris

What you'll like:

• A well-built sedan; feels sturdier than the City and Ciaz
• Good quality cabin with built-to-last materials & excellent NVH insulation
• Mature ride comfort with sorted road manners
• Smooth CVT automatic is available in all trim levels
• Features such as the auto headlamps + wipers, electric driver's seat, front parking sensors, rear sunshade etc.
• 5-star safety rating & kit! 7 airbags, all-disc brakes, ESP, HSA, TPMS, 3-point seatbelts for all & more
• Toyota's excellent after-sales quality, fuss-free ownership experiences, low service costs & up to 7 years of extended warranty coverage

What you won't:

• Simply overpriced, especially the higher variants. Toyota has gotten it wrong
• Rear seat's width is enough for 2 adults only, while rear headroom is limited too. Passengers will complain
• Engine feels adequate, but isn't exciting at all. CVT gets sluggish with an enthusiastic driving style
• Many will find the over-styled face to be a turnoff
• No turbo-diesel option for the torque lovers
• Missing auto-dimming IRVM, reach-adjustable steering, dead pedal, auto-folding ORVMs, sunroof & 195 mm tyres
• Top variant's audio head-unit has several flaws. Misses Android Auto & Apple CarPlay as well

Link to Official Review

Honda City
Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-6.jpg

What you'll like:

• Practical diesel, fast petrol and convenient CVT. Take your pick
• Loaded with equipment (sunroof, feather-touch climate control, keyless entry & go, rear air-con, reversing camera)
• Extremely spacious cabin. Loads of sensible touches make it easy to live with
• Diesel & Petrol, both, have decent ARAI fuel efficiency ratings
• Big 510 liter boot will swallow your airport & holiday luggage
• Light controls, slick gearshift and easy maneuverability for the city. Effortless to drive

What you won't:

• Same diesel as the Amaze. Outright performance & refinement levels are lower than the Verna, Vento & Rapid
• Skinny 185 mm tyres too
• Light build quality. Lacks the sheer solidity of its European rivals
• Electric steering remains light & sensitive at high speed. No feedback either
• 6 footers will find rear headroom to be in short supply
• Some features missing (proper dead pedal, folding rear seat, height-adjustable seatbelts)

Link to Official Review

Link to report - 2017 Honda City Facelift

Maruti Ciaz

What you'll like:

• Clean styling & big footprint. Among the longest & widest sedans from its class
• Spacious cabin with lots of practical features. Rear legroom is particularly impressive
• Diesel & petrol, both, have segment-topping ARAI fuel efficiency ratings
• Soft, compliant ride quality. A suspension that's tuned for comfort
• Big 510 liter boot will swallow your airport & holiday luggage
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service, wide dealer network & fuss-free ownership experience
• Loaded with equipment (7" touchscreen ICE, navigation system, rear sunshade, leather seats, keyless entry & go, reversing camera etc.)

What you won't:

• 1.3L diesel can't match the performance of the Vento, Verna & Rapid. Has turbo-lag too
• 1.4L petrol has the lowest power rating in the segment. City i-VTEC & Vento TSI are in a different league
• Uninvolving to drive. Steering & dynamics aren't to an enthusiast's taste
• Mediocre under-thigh support of the low rear seat. Also, limited rear headroom for 6 footers
• Some might find the styling to be too bland. Rear end is uncannily similar to the Honda City
• Light build quality. Lacks the sheer solidity of its European rivals

Link to Official Review

Hyundai Verna

What you'll like:

• A true all-rounder. Elantra-esque styling packs appeal too
• The overall package is well-priced. Offers good value for money
• Refined 1.6L diesel & petrol engines mated to smooth 6-speed MTs & ATs
• Precise build & quality (including interiors) are easily among the segment best
• Suspension delivers a compliant ride & neutral road manners
• Loaded with kit! Hands-free boot, cooled seats, sunroof, rear sunshade, AutoLink etc.
• Dual airbags, ABS & ISOFIX mounts are standard on all variants. SX(O) gets 6 airbags
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3-year unlimited km warranty

What you won't:

• Rear seat isn't as spacious as that of the City & Ciaz. SX(O)'s hard seatback makes it worse
• Missing essentials! Reach-adjustable steering, auto wipers, auto-folding ORVMs…
• Diesel AT is unavailable in the fully-loaded variant!
• On select variants, the diesel motor carries a steep premium over the petrol (SX = 1.69 lakhs)
• Petrol AT isn't as fuel efficient as a couple of its rivals
• While the driving experience has improved, some competitors are still more exciting to drive
• Loses the rear disc brakes that the last-gen Verna was launched with. Braking feel & bite leave a lot to be desired

Link to Official Review

Skoda Rapid
Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-4.jpeg

What you'll like:

• Confidence inspiring dynamics, brakes and chassis
• Smooth & convenient 7-Speed DSG Automatic. Lightning fast upshifts
• Competent 1.5L diesel engine. Good driveability & performance
• Safety kit: ESC (electronic stability control), hill-hold function, ABS & dual airbags
• An automatic that provides excellent fuel economy too
• European build quality is more solid than most competitors
• Mature suspension. Balanced ride & handling package
• Features such as projector headlamps, rake & reach steering, cruise control, adjustable driver armrest, rear air-con etc.

What you won't:

• Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission
• 1.5L TDI is loud & gruffy at high rpm
• Tall rear floor hump makes the Rapid more suited as a 4 seater, than 5
• This model is now among the oldest from the C2 sedan segment. Fresher alternatives are available
• Rapid doesn't get the 1.2L TSI engine from the Vento. Lacklustre 1.6L MPI continues
• Skoda’s ill-famed after sales service & dealer network

Link to Official Review

Link to Official Review - 2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG

Link to BHPian laddz1121's 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift Ownership Report (2017 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG - Carbon Steel (a real steal))

Volkswagen Vento

What you'll like:

• A well-built, robust, European sedan
• Clean and contemporary styling. Boot is superbly integrated
• Stunning diesel engine.
• Mature suspension setup. Balanced ride & handling
• Segment firsts : Reach adjust steering, gear recommender, adjustable driver armrest etc.
• All-rounded nature; Jack of all trades

What you won't:

• 8.19L Trendline (entry) variant is simply too basic
• Electric power steering. The Vento deserves a pure hydraulic unit
• Quite a loud & clattery diesel engine
• VW's after sales has yet to prove itself
• VW's long-term reliability and ownership costs are on the higher side

Link to Official Review

Link to Report - 2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift

Fiat Linea
Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans-2.jpg

What you'll like:

• Stunning looks & "vault-like" build
• Turbo-charged petrol makes the Linea extremely satisfying to drive
• Best-in-class ride comfort, handling & dynamics package
• Perfectly calibrated & weighted power steering
• A+ braking capability. All-round disc brakes a segment first
• Top level of equipment (including leather seats, Blue&Me, rear air-con and more)

What you won't:

• Long throw, rubbery gear shift is the only fly in the fun-to-drive ointment
• Rear seat is the least spacious from this segment. 5 an impossible fit
• Awkward driving position and ergonomics
• Interior quality, fit & finish still have rough edges
• Niggling issues & irritants (as reported by existing Linea / Punto owners)
• Below average after-sales service quality

Link to Official Review - Fiat Linea T-Jet

Link to BHPian nkrishnap's 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift Test Drive Report (The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review)

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2018 at 18:34.
Aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 16:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Yaris vs other C2 segment sedans

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Sedans Section.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Toyota Yaris.

Here are my (weird) reasons:
1. Better Ground Clearance than it's contemporaries (On paper, at least)
2. Choice of Automatic in bare-bones versions
3. Excellent safety features even in bare-bones versions
4. Superb Service levels at TASS
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 16:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I would pick something from premium compact SUV segment (Eg: Creta, Duster, Kaptur, S-cross) over these sedans.

Advantages:

- High ground clearance
- Compact size
- Relatively high driving position (for bad back)
- Extra boot space (because you can stack luggage high)

One more negative of cars in this sedan segment -> all cars still have beige/cream interiors!

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th June 2018 at 17:18.
SmartCat is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 17:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Verna as according to me these C2 segment sedans can no longer be the ultimate driving machines that some of them once were. The Fiesta, is long gone, the Linea's facelift made it uglier and the steering is no longer the same (go test drive one today), the Vento and Rapid are not as fun to drive as the Polo/Fabia.

The Verna truly is an all rounder in the sense that it offers a very cushy yet mature ride, extremely refined cabin, plenty of features and simply does the job of being flash, convenient and feature rich, which I feel is what this segment is all about now, better than the rest IMO
IshaanIan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 17:53   #6
BHPian

Honda City - in its petrol guise is what I would put my money on. The VTEC is still the best in class, a hoot to rev to the redline. Agreed that its no longer the corner friendly tool as it used to, but I find the suspension better tuned that its peers.

This segment is hit hard by the pseudo SUVs and jacked up hatches, but the charm of a low slung sedan cannot be duplicated.
Burn_out is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Personally, I would pick something from premium compact SUV segment (Eg: Creta, Duster, Kaptur, S-cross) over these sedans.
Agreed. That would be my choice as well. Our roads (pothole cities and speedhump highways) are much better handled with crossovers.

Moreover- None of these cars are really brilliant to drive as well, so as to hype them as low slung sedans. They're decent and just about mature at best - none sporty like the Fiesta (discontinued) or Linea 125S (almost discontinued). If I'm really forced to choose one - It would most probably be a Verna CRDi 6AT which is a good all-rounder.

Not to mention the prices of these cars are climbing every day. Top end of both City and Yaris have breached north of 19L these days and it just sounds too much money for a C - segment sedan.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th June 2018 at 18:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:11   #8
BHPian

It was a tough call between a Yaris and the City for me but at the end the heart won. City it is for me - the overall reliability and the smooth Vtec engine cannot just be ruled out.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2018 at 17:37. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this
Old 29th June 2018, 18:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

My bet is on the Yaris and 2nd comes the City (I'm a former City owner), Verna and the Ciaz in order of preference. All with petrol mills. The VAG twins and the Fiat Linea? Thanks, but no thanks. They're not under consideration at all.

C and D sedans appeal more to my mind than my heart. These are commuter and family cars and I don't expect them to perform like sports sedans which are in a different league starting with the Octavia vRS and upwards. So what ticks the boxes for me:

a) In city drivability
b) Safety features
c) Good build quality keeping in mind the price point
d) Great after-sales. And I know from personal experience Toyota's attitude to its customers and that of their ASCs is second to none.
e) Low to moderate maintenance costs
f) Long term (5+ years) reliability of the vehicle
g) Driving pleasure if any is a bonus.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th June 2018 at 18:24.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Yaris. Initially, I was skeptical of the car after seeing the on paper specs. However, the moment I got a chance to drive the manual version of the car, my opinion has totally reversed. The Yaris betters the Germans (in terms of driving) and wins on safety and the after sales service.

I agree that it is priced on the higher side, but it is definitely justified thanks to the top notch safety kit.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:57   #11
BHPian

My bet will be the Honda City for it's time tested powerful engine and rear seats.

As a current owner of Ciaz, I rarely recommend this to anyone. It has many flaws in it, weak and noisy engine, poor suspension set up, auto center steering issues and so on.

Yaris is simply overpriced, and is no more a value for money. If one has to spend this kind of money on Yaris than might as well but a Creta which falls under the premium compact SUV segment.

Verna's rear seat is again not very comfortable.

Why is Nissan's Sunny not included in this poll? It may have a wafer thin dealer network but I can say it is much better product than the Ciaz.
mints21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 23:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

My pick would be Verna>Ciaz>City>Yaris. And I say this as an unabashed Toyota fanboy.
The pricing of the Yaris is horribly wrong.

It's not like the case of the Innova over XUV, Hexa where I can blindly suggest the Innova for a fuss-free ownership experience. The City, Verna and the Ciaz are extremely competent products.

Honda, Maruti and Hyundai ASS are much better compared to a Mahindra or a Tata. (Some people just don't have the bandwidth to deal with problems)
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 00:19   #13
BHPian

I voted for the Linea (T-Jet only). Even though this car has been slightly diluted since its introduction in 2010, it is still the best in class for a driver IMO. Spend a lakh or two to tune it (well within the price of others in the list) and it will be the best driver's machine this side of 30 lakh (or even more).

If I take the driver out of me, then it would be a Yaris if I'm looking at lower variants/a petrol for the safety and peace of mind of ownership. Gotta drive a manual one soon as I'm hearing good things about the drive.

If I'm looking at the higher variants/a diesel, it would be a Verna CRDI MT. This car really feels a level above the rest in terms of quality and luxury and that CRDI is a gem (if I can ignore the nauseating carcinogens coming out of the tailpipe) that is incredibly refined (the only diesel in this segment that I'd touch) and has a lot of potential (can hit 160 HP with a remap!). The new Hyundais are no longer nervous like the older ones

The City is no longer as sure footed as before making me ignore it (made worse by the flimsy build and the pre-facelift niggles) in spite of the rev-happy I-Vtec.

The Ciaz is something where I do not find anything appealing other than the neutral looks and the Maruti service backing.

Vento and Rapid are very good cars with very good engines sold by scary companies.

Last edited by theredliner : 30th June 2018 at 00:25.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 00:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Never thought I would say this. I had always considered myself a Sedan guy. Give me a low slung sedan I will always pick it over a high SUV.

But years of driving a Hatchback on all sorts of Indian roads coupled with the Advent of premium compact SUVs, I must say that I have shifted loyalties.

One, none of these C segment sedans are now truly living up to the charm of driving a sedan ( the only fun cars VAG twins and Linea are too old now) and two, premium compact SUVs/ crossovers are quite close to the driving feel of these C segmenters, plus they have additional benefit of a higher ground clearance. Moreover, Creta, SCross, Compass etc are not exactly compact compared to these sedans.

But if I am to choose one sedan among these, I would perhaps choose the Yaris - despite being pricey just for the safety kit on offer across the range. None of the others have anything that special to offer for me to overlook this aspect!!

Last edited by vibbs : 30th June 2018 at 00:28.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 00:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know if this has any Mazda DNA in it? The Yaris sedan sold in the US is a rebadged Mazda2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks