Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which of the following will you choose?
Honda Amaze 159 45.43%
Maruti Dzire 58 16.57%
Hyundai Xcent 4 1.14%
Ford Aspire 75 21.43%
VW Ameo 22 6.29%
Tata Tigor 28 8.00%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2019, 15:50   #46
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze vs the competitors

Hi guys. My family is on the lookout for a compact sedan in the coming months as I believe this is the best time to buy a car. The 2 cars which are under consideration:-
  • Maruti Dzire Vdi AMT
  • Honda Amaze S CVT diesel
We presently own a 2013 Maruti Dzire & 2014 Honda Amaze. Both diesels with both having run over 1 lakh kms. Not decided which car we would be getting rid off.
We have a budget of 10 lakhs OTR,Mumbai. The car will be primarily chauffeur driven in Mumbai with 1 outstation trip every 2-3 months. Usage will exceed 1,500 kms in a month. Fords,VWs,Tata's are not at all under consideration. Not sure which among the 2 variants has more features & what discounts are offered as yet.

I know Amaze CVT diesel is an overwhelming favourite on our forum & its the car which i have recommended as well but my family is leaning heavily towards the Dzire because of the tried & tested diesel engine + the recently announced 5yr warranty by Maruti. Ciaz would have been an ideal upgrade but there's no way my family has plans to extend the budget.
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Hi guys. My family is on the lookout for a compact sedan in the coming months as I believe this is the best time to buy a car. The 2 cars which are under consideration:-
  • Maruti Dzire Vdi AMT
We presently own a 2013 Maruti Dzire & 2014 Honda Amaze. Both diesels with both having run over 1 lakh kms. Not decided which car we would be getting rid off.
We have a budget of 10 lakhs OTR,Mumbai. The car will be primarily chauffeur driven in Mumbai with 1 outstation trip every 2-3 months. Usage will exceed 1,500 kms in a month. Fords,VWs,Tata's are not at all under consideration. Not sure which among the 2 variants has more features & what discounts are offered as yet.

I know Amaze CVT diesel is an overwhelming favourite on our forum & its the car which i have recommended as well but my family is leaning heavily towards the Dzire because of the tried & tested diesel engine + the recently announced 5yr warranty by Maruti. Ciaz would have been an ideal upgrade but there's no way my family has plans to extend the budget.
If it is going to be chauffer driven then why do you wish to get an automatic?

If you are ok with a manual diesel then I would suggest look for the Toyota Etios Platinum Diesel. It has acres of space at the rear and unlike the two you have squared upon, Etios is a proper sedan.
You may have to extend your budget by a mere 50k but you get a lot in return (not saying features but am sure you know what all)

If between the Amaze and Dzire, I would say go with the Dzire. My in laws own a VDI Manual and they are quite happy with it. With good discounts, you may also squeeze a zdi amt at 10 lakhs on road.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:56   #48
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
If it is going to be chauffer driven then why do you wish to get an automatic?
So that my driver can have it slightly easy. Daily commute is about 80kms in Mumbai's stop & go traffic which takes 4.5hrs!

Quote:
I would suggest look for the Toyota Etios Platinum Diesel.
Interesting option. The Etios looked outdated half a decade back! The last i sat in an Etios, everything felt cheap inside. Don't think we'll be considering it, although it does have its strong points.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
So that my driver can have it slightly easy. Daily commute is about 80kms in Mumbai's stop & go traffic which takes 4.5hrs!

Interesting option. The Etios looked outdated half a decade back! The last i sat in an Etios, everything felt cheap inside. Don't think we'll be considering it, although it does have its strong points.
1. Very few people be considerate to their driver's. Really good to know and for that hope you get the best option.

2. Etios feels definitely cheap but then compared to Amaze and Dzire, it has marginally better interior quality.

Dzire VDI AMT looks to be a good choice then.
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:34   #50
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Having owned both DZire and Amaze diesel you will be best to judge on long term reliability/maintenance of both engines as well as on the overall build quality .

Which one perform better after running 1 lakh kms. Are they comparable?
NGM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Maruti Dzire Vdi AMT

I have tested Brezza AMT, and it was simply incomparable with the Amaze CVT. I expect that Dezire too would be similar. Especially in traffic, the repetitive jerks in lower gear shifting by AMT can become too cumbersome, especially in front of a smooth CVT.
Old 3rd October 2019, 14:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Fords,VWs,Tata's are not at all under consideration
Any specific reason why VW - Ameo DSG is not in consideration? With 7 years warranty, competitively priced AMC packages and overall the discounts on offer make it the best deal.

Rear seat is cumbersome but not a deal breaker if only other compact sedans are being considered.
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:13   #53
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Having owned both DZire and Amaze diesel you will be best to judge on long term reliability/maintenance of both engines as well as on the overall build quality .
The pros & cons of both the engines is well documented on our forum. Honda's iDtec engine is noisy, although i hear NVH has improved a bit now. On overall maintenance front, the Dzire has been cheaper to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Especially in traffic, the repetitive jerks in lower gear shifting by AMT can become too cumbersome, especially in front of a smooth CVT.
This is what i keep reading. I guess I'll have to take a test drive to see how tolerable it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Any specific reason why VW - Ameo DSG is not in consideration? Rear seat is cumbersome but not a deal breaker if only other compact sedans are being considered.
It has the most cramped back-seat. Need a fuss free car.
PPS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 17:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Had a TD of the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT, loved everything about the car, biggest unexpected issue was that the front seat somehow didn't feel comfortable as others in the segment.

Problem was that I didn't know what was missing, the seats either lack underthigh support or that don't have enough travel to stretch my legs or I am just imagining stuff since the car is lower than other tall-boy based sedans.

Can someone throw some light on this?

Last edited by giri1.8 : 11th October 2019 at 17:42.
Old 11th October 2019, 19:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Had a TD of the Honda Amaze Diesel CVT, loved everything about the car, biggest unexpected issue was that the front seat somehow didn't feel comfortable as others in the segment.
Apart from the front seats, the fixed head restraints at the rear are anything but useful for even medium sized adults.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 23:17   #56
BHPian

Just did not want to start a new post as most of the cars in consideration for a purchase are listed here.

I'm looking for purchasing a new compact sedan and was confused as to which one would suit my requirements:

1. It will be chauffer driven entirely
2. It will be used mostly for long distance rides and once in every two days in the city. So roughly in a year, we will do 10000 km at the max
3. It should be relatively economical on the maintenance
4. It should last at least for the next 10 years
5. It should be a Petrol engine, but open for suggestions if Diesel would be a better choice considering the fact that a specific diesel engine might be better than a specific petrol engine

As my requirements are quite simple, I narrowed down to Swift Dzire and Honda Amaze. Since both these cars have a Diesel and a Petrol variant, which particular model should I go for? Any suggestions?

Last edited by joe1980 : 4th December 2019 at 23:41.
Old 5th December 2019, 00:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I'm looking for purchasing a new compact sedan and was confused as to which one would suit my requirements:

2. It will be used mostly for long distance rides and once in every two days in the city. So roughly in a year, we will do 10000 km at the max

Since both these cars have a Diesel and a Petrol variant, which particular model should I go for? Any suggestions?
Since most of the usage is on highways, would suggest Amaze over Swift dzire as the former is safer(4* NCAP). Both petrols are just fine.

If diesel is ok, do check out Aspire and Ameo. But for your kind of running petrol should be just fine

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th December 2019 at 00:23.
Old 5th December 2019, 00:50   #58
AZT
BHPian

Quote:

Would you be willing to go for a lesser used Ciaz or City. Since you have a long commute, the ride would be more comfortable and should fit your budget too.
Old 3rd November 2020, 22:29   #59
KPR
BANNED

Coming back to this thread in Nov 2020 for a query on the choice

My friend is in look out for a car at sub 8.5L. Is Honda amaze petrol MT good buy over Dzire/Baleno? I find no direct ownership thread of 1.2L MT. There has been a lot of positives on the CVT petrol. How's the MT variant of Honda Amaze petrol?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 06:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
How's the MT variant of Honda Amaze petrol?
I’d rather get the Jazz V MT for that price (after discounts). Much better built, global product. The MT Hondas can basically last for as long as you want them to last (forever with routine maintenance).

They both share the same L12B engine which is a reliable workhorse. However, the amaze is based on the Brio platform.

Pick your poison.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks